Shockingly awful grammar

Poopingman

Runescape is not an English paper.

If you can understand what they're saying then there is not a problem. What pisses me off is the unnecessary leet words, excessive shortening, etc, which means that you have to read it maybe twice through before you can understand what it actually means.

Like other people have said also remember to cut people a degree of slack for things like second languages, dyslexia, or just being intellectually inferior to you. Contrary to popular belief everybody on the Internet is not American, Candian, British or Australian, a full college/university graduate, or an avid reader.

EG

"Selling salmon 5k each, must buy at least 20"

"Sellin samon 5k ea, min 20"- Acceptable

"slln smn5k mn 20"- stupid/aggravating

If people are not deliberately trying to write incorrectly there is absolutely no issue.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've seen some bad grammar - and I mean BAD - but this is ridiculus. Almost too ridiculus to be true... :shock:

"Ridculus"

:lol:

Your eyes are more screwed than mine.Its ridiculous,its not even funny.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

1) They're not a native speaker of the language.

It's the native speakers who can't write correctly, since there is no rules how to write a spoken word or pronounce a written word. Fite - fight, colonel - kernel, island - iland (why there is an "s") etc. Non-native speakers learn English from books, therefore they will write words correctly but pronounce badly.

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

Thank you for proving my point, you idiot. :lol:

ha, gotta love this, a group of kids with too much free time and too little to fill it with trying to tell everyone how to play their game and communicate properly. I shudder to think at the number of hours you guys waste backspacing to fix typos. yet you act that because you are able to speak in an intelectual manner on an online game forums that you're all incredibly clever and part of an 'elite.' I think its laughable and i mock you all for it.

be honest to yourselves, its an online game forums, not an essay, no one with decent lives could care less. just give up with the SPAG rants, they wont get anywhere, and theyre only made to reassure yourselves of how clever you are. congratulations.

Grammar is used to define one's intellect. If you use poor grammar in every post you make in a public forum, people will not hesitate to point that out and label you as an idiot.

Besides, I can type fast and therefore time isn't an issue for me :thumbsup:

pixelsig.png

nubguy.jpg

R.I.P. Neko :[

5,445,898,965th to 99 Woodcutting

Blogs are dead

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

ha, gotta love this, a group of kids with too much free time and too little to fill it with trying to tell everyone how to play their game and communicate properly. I shudder to think at the number of hours you guys waste backspacing to fix typos. yet you act that because you are able to speak in an intelectual manner on an online game forums that you're all incredibly clever and part of an 'elite.' I think its laughable and i mock you all for it.

be honest to yourselves, its an online game forums, not an essay, no one with decent lives could care less. just give up with the SPAG rants, they wont get anywhere, and theyre only made to reassure yourselves of how clever you are. congratulations.

Grammar is used to define one's intellect. If you use poor grammar in every post you make in a public forum, people will not hesitate to point that out and label you as an idiot.

Wot u mEen? u sei ai dum

on topic:

It's not a big deal if you can understand it.

Agreed, if you type enough you can type fairly fast without mistakes. Correct grammer and spelling also makes it a lot easier for people to understand. I've lost count on how many times I'ev had to say what does (instert weird abbreviation) mean.

One think I hate the most is say I see someone standing somewhere who is poisoned and about to die so I give them a free anti-poison pot. They say "ty" Come on, I just saved their live and they won't even take the time to say "thank you" When you don someone a favor one would think they would have the courtesy to say thank you.

By the way, there are a very few abbreviations that I don't mind and I think are ok to use they are- Pc, ftw, and lol. Also if you are selling something it is acceptable to say selling X- 12.m

Abbreviations you should never use- ty, thx, u, pl0x, etc.

Bad grammar is faster to type, which is probably why people use it a lot, mostly on the internet (who would use bad grammar in school?). An example might be "their" instead of "they're". Instead of needing to type in the annoying " ' " in they're, they can just ignore it. I usually do that, but I spell it as theyre, ignoring the " ' " part. Its faster, which saves time, however some excessive grammar failures can be annoying. Some idiot I know (who is member) types like this: (at the GE) "leding dchain 20khour!" . How the heck is anyone supposed to understand that (though some people might), so I made him type it like this: "lending d-chain 20k/hour!". Still a bit off but also slightly easier to understand :)

Bad grammar is faster to type, which is probably why people use it a lot, mostly on the internet (who would use bad grammar in school?). An example might be "their" instead of "they're". Instead of needing to type in the annoying " ' " in they're, they can just ignore it. I usually do that, but I spell it as theyre, ignoring the " ' " part. Its faster, which saves time, however some excessive grammar failures can be annoying. Some idiot I know (who is member) types like this: (at the GE) "leding dchain 20khour!" . How the heck is anyone supposed to understand that (though some people might), so I made him type it like this: "lending d-chain 20k/hour!". Still a bit off but also slightly easier to understand :)

That is the point that several people are making, though - if you practice typing with correct punctuation, grammar, and spelling, you can easily become faster at it. Using all forms of punctuation no longer phase me, and I rarely if ever need to backspace.

It just becomes automatic.

2dgucz6.png

Wow

A 12 year old called peace/chunked deuce/bowed out gracefully, and you still had to get the last word in and try and to debate/argue with them.

Very interesting.

I suck at grammar myself. So I guess it makes it easy for the argument I give. I can't stand l337 speak. I don't see what the hell is so lol about every dang thing. I don't like r for are u for you and so on. I feel is someone is obviously making a half decent attempt to spell correctly and can speak well enough to get their point across, then just let it slide.

But yeah, all that plox and crap like that needs to go as far as I am concerned. I am kind of like someone else earlier mentioned. I will not even do business with people who talk like that. If it means losing out on a really good deal I still don't deal with them.

in4F.gif

That is the point that several people are making, though - if you practice typing with correct punctuation, grammar, and spelling, you can easily become faster at it. Using all forms of punctuation no longer phase me, and I rarely if ever need to backspace.

It just becomes automatic.

Is the scant amount of time saved typing "their" instead of they're really worth making you look like an idiot? Its 2 keystrokes...

I know that is the backbone of many of the excuses people throw at me for typing like they do, but I really don't think its worth it..

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I mean how come you all mix up grammar with spelling? what you're trying to talk about is spelling, not grammar.

Tom is a dnetist-spelling mistake

Tom were a dentist-grammar mistake

sorry for an english lesson, but you should know this and edit your title.

most people on the internet dont have much problem with grammar since good grammar is not really important in the internet.

"selling 1000000000 air runes!" everyone types that or "sellin" so there is no problem with grammar.

"salin 1000000000 aiir runees!" or something is a spelling mistake which many ppl who want to type fast will make(or something like that anyway)

I don't really care too much about spelling/grammar, as long as its readdable(