Slayer..

Orly_Owl

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

I think most people prefer melee because of the stat boosting effects. Potions are all cheap too as opposed to range....

Personally i dds spec/drag mace in every task that i do because of the awesome effect, in addition to this i can have at any one time (for example aberrent sceptres)

Salve Ammy (e)

Black Mask

Super potted

And piety

...which significantly speeds up slayer.

If jagex were to create items (such as a black mask/salve ammy) for rangers then i would be more likely to use range on some tasks.

I do see where you are coming from though, alot of tasks can be safespotted which means you can camp at a task for longer.

Also, with blessed dragonhide etc there are more incentives to use range - before this release i prefered melee just because prayer tasks were so easy and increased my prayer stat. However there is no real "tanking" armour specifically for range, people just choose torags and use other items to invrease thier range attack - which is another reason why i think people chose to melee (because of the better overall benefits)

Worded this a bit too quickly - shouldve spent more time on my answer :XD:

Edit: I think void range just ruined half my argument :lol:

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doesnt explain why people say your slayer level is low, so go train it only for melee.

Yeah sure its not as slow, but thats not even a reason not to say range.

Like I said, range is, for the most part, an inefficient way to train slayer; melee is an efficient way to train slayer. If someone with a low farming level posted a thread asking for help training construction, would you say, "You could use some farming experience, so why not train your construction with bagged plants?" Probably not, because it's not a very good way to train either skill. It's the same idea here.

I'm the same as Sumpta, but atm I just want 85 ranged (not now, im on a break :P), and I want a fairly decent slayer level aswell..

Edit: I think void range just ruined half my argument :lol:

I think your argument was completely off the actual subject and what some people and I have been trying to make you understand.

Like I said, range is, for the most part, an inefficient way to train slayer; melee is an efficient way to train slayer. If someone with a low farming level posted a thread asking for help training construction, would you say, "You could use some farming experience, so why not train your construction with bagged plants?" Probably not, because it's not a very good way to train either skill. It's the same idea here.

Like I said, melee slayer isnt good xp, and melee xp from any top rated spot gets much more than range at a top range spot (exc cannon/chins).

And no, I wouldnt say bagged plants, but I would because it spices up your house :P

But for that part, Getting range xp and slayer xp at the same time, seems to be faster than getting range xp at yaks, and using the saved time to melee the slayer xp.

That might be for my level, I use Chaeldar, but if this is true for all, why are you all still thinking that ..

Training range by slayer just sucks?

I have seen some formidable arguments, but they just havent really gotten to the point I, and the OP want you people to address..

I dont need a siggy no moar.

So why do people say not to train slayer by range?

To sum up what i said, more people use melee because of the stat boosters which speed up tasks. This could be a reason why people use range.

I think your argument was completely off the actual subject and what some people and I have been trying to make you understand.

...Then perhaps you should make Orly rephrase the first post? - As i was just just merely joining in the discussion from a different angle.

Just thought of another reason why too - range has limited weapons, and the ones which are fast enough to be as effective as the whip are low in stats (ie darts, knives)

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

No, the OP knew what he meant and so do I, and a selective few here, its not what you're implying. Dont mask it up with "a different view" :roll:

RCB is decent too.

At my current levels it's actually quite equal to my whip.

Now lets say given a time frame xp you will get, 200 hours.

Xp Per hour

Range slayer - 50k range 12.5k slayer

Melee slayer - 80k melee 20k slayer

Avs/chin - 150k range

If you train range all the way with slayer

200 hours x (50k range xp 12.5k slayer) = 10mil range xp 2.5mil slayer xp

For the same amount of range xp

10mil range xp = 10,000,000/150,000 = 66.7 hours of chin/avs.

Time saved = 133 hours.

Using the time saved to melee slayer

(20k slayer xp 80k melee xp )x 133 hours = 2.6mil slayer xp 10mil melee xp

1.OVERALL: 67 hours of avs/chin + 133 hours of melee slayer

10mil range xp + 2.6mil slayer xp + 10mil melee xp

2.OVERALL: 200 hours of range slayer

10mil range xp + 2.5mil slayer xp

Of course i would pick number 1.

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

The problem with range slaying is that you can only use the black mask's effect while on task. You can train range and range a task in exactly the same way. So theoretically, it'd be faster Slayer AND Range experience if you melee'd your Slayer tasks and trained range outside of Slayer.

Now, some tasks ARE better ranged, but it really depends on your priorities. Now, the OP assumes that your priority is range, so why not train Slayer with range? As stated above, your time is best spent melee'ing. However, a task like fire giants is slightly faster ranged with a cannon than melee'ing with a combat familiar (unless you can use a steel titan or an iron titan, but that's speculation on my part.) Alas, I'm sure that that's the only task that is POSSIBLY more efficient using range. I'm very skeptical of that, however.

So all in all, I would say that the best way to slay would be to melee most tasks and range just enough to keep your range level even with your melee stats. If you use a cannon, this is not difficult.

DISCLAIMER: I understand the OP's original point, as stated in sentence two of paragraph two of this post.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The problem with range slaying is that you can only use the black mask's effect while on task. You can train range and range a task in exactly the same way. So theoretically, it'd be faster Slayer AND Range experience if you melee'd your Slayer tasks and trained range outside of Slayer.

Now I must ask how the hell do you put an XP/GP tag on Slayer? :?

No tasks are actually better via ranging unless you count cannons, but I still dont believe - at my level, atleast - that ranging slayer isnt faster than melee slayer the slayer xp and range yaks (example) for range xp.

Now lets say given a time frame xp you will get, 200 hours.

Xp Per hour

Range slayer - 50k range 12.5k slayer

Melee slayer - 80k melee 20k slayer

Avs/chin - 150k range

If you train range all the way with slayer

200 hours x (50k range xp 12.5k slayer) = 10mil range xp 2.5mil slayer xp

For the same amount of range xp

10mil range xp = 10,000,000/150,000 = 66.7 hours of chin/avs.

Time saved = 133 hours.

Using the time saved to melee slayer

(20k slayer xp 80k melee xp )x 133 hours = 2.6mil slayer xp 10mil melee xp

1.OVERALL: 67 hours of avs/chin + 133 hours of melee slayer

10mil range xp + 2.6mil slayer xp + 10mil melee xp

2.OVERALL: 200 hours of range slayer

10mil range xp + 2.5mil slayer xp

Of course i would pick number 1.

Hit the nail on the head!

Anyone who doesnt get it after reading this topic is a complete ...

The only arguement you could throw in is that you could train melee first and then train ranged through slayer, gaining less overal ranged xp, but more slayer xp.

So I guess it depends on what you value more: slayer xp and slow range xp, or quick range xp and no slay xp.

Seems to me that most replies are based on the fastest xp yeild vs time spent. Maybe I have missed the entire point but SOME of us play RS for the fun of it, not how fast I can reach level x or y.

Personally I'm not worried about how fast I get either Slayer or any combat XP. If the task is better served using range then I use range, not a question of XP per milli second. All my combat stats are within 3 levels of each other so speed ( of kill )between each style is not much different. Range is more time consuming collecting drops etc, but with safe spots can mean less trips to the bank.

There is ( for me anyway ) a second advantage using Range, I can make my own ammo ( developing several other skills ), at no cost, other than the time.

gixer66.png

Slayer is a useless skill.

Why train it anyway?

@Bed, tbh, Nick didnt hit the nail on the head - you cant rate xp of slayer accurately, theres no possible way to do it unless you're psychic or trapped in an obvious loop.

Why train it anyway?

Total levels, enjoyment, quest requirements, slayer dart and broad bolts-arrows...

Runescape is a useless game... Why play it?

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Exactly.

Its useless, but we play it for fun.

Why do people tell people that something is useless, play it this way because it is faster but is 202930393x less fun!!1

Ranged slayer is fun imo.

Melee slayer is yawn

Well fun is a variable only you can judge. So only you can measure how it weights (for you) when comparing xp rates. When giving advice, you can't really factor fun for another player, so you stick with stats and advise the most efficient way to train. At this point, the players will have to factor in fun and efficiency to decide how they will train. Efficient and fun are not always compatible. As an example, I train hunter via tears and impling catching (in the world, not puro-puro)... now that's un-efficient, but it's the only way I enjoy the skill.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

There is a debate that was really going on in another forum. Basically the anti slayer side said that slayer was lower melee xp per hour than Armoured Zombies, and lower money, so it was useless.

The other side said that when you include Summoning xp and Slayer xp to the xp total it was slightly better than Armored Zombies.

As far as I know tha best meelee monster that gives money is Green Dragons, they give 600k per hour on average, but only 50k melee xp. Abyssals and Spirituals give about 500k per hour. Armoured Zombies give about 100k xp and 180k gp per hour, Abyssals and Spirituals give about 80k. So you could argue that Abyssals and Spirituals are a nice balance between non-slayer monsters. That is kind of a weak argument but it was the best one I could think of.

Slayer is ruined buy the fact that monsters that don't have a slayer requirement are assigned. Maybe im just too picky, but I refuse to do crap tasks (and I have an extremely broad definition of "Crap"). I skip at least half of all of the tasks I am assigned, and probably even more than that. Back when I used slayer points, practically all of them went to skipping tasks.

I look at getting 99 slayer as the ultimate runescape challenge, that is why I do it. Plus, Im also a little addicted to it.

:twss:

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Well

Slayer is just a skill to slay things that drop high-end items. It is not the beest exp in the game, nor the best money. Charms is good, but the time wasted does not justify it.

Slayer now is just for fun. There is no benefit to train it anymore. Its like 91 RC. It was good, but now that the market is flooded with these "slayer" items, the items are pretty much worthless.

EVERYTHING has gone down.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Why train it anyway?

@Bed, tbh, Nick didnt hit the nail on the head - you cant rate xp of slayer accurately, theres no possible way to do it unless you're psychic or trapped in an obvious loop.

Yeah those are estimations, which even if it is pretty far off the #1 choice will still be better.

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Why train it anyway?

Yeah those are estimations, which even if it is pretty far off the #1 choice will still be better.

If you're fast and consistent, you could easily time several hours of Slaying and average them up. It wont be 100% accurate, but it'll be close enough. That's what people do to get their numbers for Slayer. You can go tell Zarfot that he's wrong if you'd like.

So, yes, Nic DID hit the nail on the head. Also, this a debate, and as such, numbers are paramount. Fun is a nonissue. If you want to talk about fun, go to general discussion and start a thread titled "101 ways to have fun NOT Slaying:twss:."

dgs5.jpg

Seems to me that most replies are based on the fastest xp yeild vs time spent. Maybe I have missed the entire point but SOME of us play RS for the fun of it, not how fast I can reach level x or y.

And some of use have more fun when we get to choose for ourselves which monster to kill instead of having to fight the first one that pops into Lapalok's head. Insinuating that your opponents are emotionless robots is not a healthy way to debate. Don't be so arrogant as to think that you're the only one who knows how to have fun. People play this game for different reasons. For one thing, seeing how fast you can reach level x or y is certainly fun for many people. That's why we have this sort of thing:

troacctid-gixer66.png

Ever raced a friend to a goal level? Guess what, you'd have been seeing how fast you could get to level x or y.

Anyway, the only difference between training ranged on task and training ranged on the same monster off task is...well, there's really no difference at all in gameplay. With melee, there's actually some incentive to fight your task, because you get a 15% bonus against it. With ranged, you might as well be camping there.

How is it more fun to do slayer? It's exactly the same gameplay. Shoot things. Difference is you have to periodically go ask someone what to shoot at next. The experience will always be slower than normal ranging. The experience will always be slower than normal slaying. The fun-value will always be equal to or lesser than normal ranged training.

Just because you're simultaneously training two skills doesn't make it a good way to train either skill--again, back to my bagged plant analogy. If you want to train construction and you want to train farming, it doesn't necessarily mean that the best way to do it is to slap them together. If you want to train agility and you want to train thieving, it doesn't mean the best place for it is the Rogue's Den minigame. If you want to train firemaking and cooking, are you going to rush off to Trouble Brewing until you hit your goal levels?

Don't be so arrogant as to think that you're the only one who knows how to have fun.

I didn't say that, I was trying to make the point that the race to level x,y or z doesn't float everyones boat.

Ever raced a friend to a goal level? Guess what, you'd have been seeing how fast you could get to level x or y

Nope, I haven't.

How is it more fun to do slayer?

Being a relative noob on RS, Slayer gives me the opportunity to go out and discover new monsters in locations that I haven't been to before. Would I venture into the Dessert to take on Crocs? in "normal" game play - No probably not.

All the above is away from the actual point being debated, so I'll leave it there.

gixer66.png

I was never a big fan of slayer. When smoking kills came out I fell in love with the skill.

Unfortnatly i was already maxed out in melle.

I at the time was 82 range and 68slayer.

I did a few tasks with range, as i thought it would be a good idea to train range with slayer.

However it was farr to slow.

So what i am doing is: im almost 87 slayer, i train slayer using my maxed out mele and i also use a cannon, this is best in life

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

I've been ranging all of my tasks lately; it does feel slower but I'm also always safer...

On a few tasks, though, Ranged is surprisingly powerful, and I will never melee Cave Horrors.

All demons and dragons seem better to be ranged, and so do lower-level Slayer monsters who are high in abundance.

2dgucz6.png

If you're fast and consistent, you could easily time several hours of Slaying and average them up. It wont be 100% accurate, but it'll be close enough. That's what people do to get their numbers for Slayer. You can go tell Zarfot that he's wrong if you'd like.

So, yes, Nic DID hit the nail on the head. Also, this a debate, and as such, numbers are paramount. Fun is a nonissue. If you want to talk about fun, go to general discussion and start a thread titled "101 ways to have fun NOT Slaying:twss:."

Ok, lets see, you can get say, 10 tasks of slow, bad xp, like say Iron dragons, or 10 tasks of something fast, good xp, and possibly good money, like, a combo of hellhounds and spiritual mages.

There is obviously no way to actually even come close to limiting an amount of xp from an hour, let alone a day of slayer, unless you are:

1. Stupid enough to try

2. Psychic

3. Stuck in a very very obvious loop

I would like someone to explain to me how to average slayer xp without knowing what tasks you will get.

Gavati, for one hit the nail on the head. The point of this debate is not, why train slayer by melee, its why not train ranged by slayer.

Some tasks can be faster via range, can be more fun, can be more efficient and cheaper. Though, there are little that defeat melee in any of this, there are still some.

Ok, lets see, you can get say, 10 tasks of slow, bad xp, like say Iron dragons, or 10 tasks of something fast, good xp, and possibly good money, like, a combo of hellhounds and spiritual mages.

There is obviously no way to actually even come close to limiting an amount of xp from an hour, let alone a day of slayer, unless you are:

1. Stupid enough to try

2. Psychic

3. Stuck in a very very obvious loop

I would like someone to explain to me how to average slayer xp without knowing what tasks you will get.

Gavati, for one hit the nail on the head. The point of this debate is not, why train slayer by melee, its why not train ranged by slayer.

Some tasks can be faster via range, can be more fun, can be more efficient and cheaper. Though, there are little that defeat melee in any of this, there are still some.

It takes a long time to get to 99 Slayer. If you record your experience for say, 20 hours, you can get a good idea of how much experience per hour you're getting. It's not rocket science.

More efficient and cheaper? That's highly debatable. The one task that I could think of that you COULD use range in was black demons in Taverly dungeon. That is no where near more efficient. Cheaper? Yes, possibly, but melee is way faster, not to mention the fact that you miss out on tons of charms.

Also, I would love to hear what you're idea of "faster, cheaper, and more efficient" is. Please - what tasks?

dgs5.jpg

Block/skip all the slow task.

Because some people wants faster slayer xp, so they melee.

Fun really depends on the player ::'

Erm which task is faster with ranging? or you meant cannon

twss.jpg