Decrease the posting delay!

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

So in this situation we're losing a very 'needy' 'update' to the forum users, because of the staff.

Of course the staff come first, especially when it's 'protecting' users, or keeping the boards clean, but all this is stating is that there is a flaw in the boards, and it affects both users & the staff.

Thus there isn't one solution to the problem, except by ignoring it/living with it. So then we move onto two solutions.

The problem that is affecting the staff is that there's no way to suspend a user. Just ban for X amount of time. Basically this should indicate that the moderators should have a basic function to temporary ban someone for a certain length of time.

My guess would be 48 to 72 hours. Enough time to straighten the entire problem out.

But I don't know the control panel of phpbb so I got no idea if this is possible or not, but it sounds like it's a missing feature, or a hindrance to the daily workings of a mod.

I wouldn't go so far as to call this a "needy update." But I would support some sort of "mute" option for moderators, if there is such a thing. If that were to be implemented, I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to decrease the flood control to 30 seconds or so. But obviously, the admins would have to agree.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

"Mute" was exactly what I was thinking.

Wait.

There's a way you could do it. Make a usergroup called "Muted" or something, make all moderators group leaders, and make so that all the users that aren't group leaders can't post without moderator approval. Then make all moderators que moderators. Quick and easy way to stop it then and there, but you'd need to make sure that the mods can post without mod approval. :P (By changing their induvidual permission masks in the ACP)

C2b6gs7.png

There's a way you could do it. Make a usergroup called "Muted" or something, make all moderators group leaders, and make so that all the users that aren't group leaders can't post without moderator approval. Then make all moderators que moderators. Quick and easy way to stop it then and there, but you'd need to make sure that the mods can post without mod approval. :P (By changing their induvidual permission masks in the ACP)

Workarounds Ftw!

Hmm, I was able to make a permission mask to do just that, so it seems my theory stands. Even if this doesn't make so that we can take the flood limit away, it still would be a great tool for moderators.

And workarounds FTW, yes.

C2b6gs7.png

Oh, what a great idea! You're truly a bright kid. :thumbsup: I'd personally agree with lowering the flood limit if we had this "mute" tool -just for emergencies like spammers. I say we poke the admins around to hear what they have to say about this.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I think its a great idea! Many times I will be in forum games playing the counting game or the gp of doom or another simple game that you only have to write 1 or 2 lines on but I will be held back by at least 45 seconds from my last post. On the gp of doom sure you can right one that is 4 paragraphs long then but that's not what should happen.

I say decrease it by 30 seconds in forum games and 15 seconds everywhere else. Because seriously, A minute to read the number 345 and type 346? Its just wrong.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

Whenever im browsing the Rants forum and im in an argument about something and I post on another thread then go back to the thread im in a argument in and read 1/2 lines of text of their response I have to wait so many seconds to post again.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Sorry about the other thread, didn't see this one.

My issue is with the posting delay affecting private messages, I don't see much harm in removing that.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

My issue is with the posting delay affecting private messages, I don't see much harm in removing that.

Unfortunately we've had problems with users taking advantage of the PM system to spam advertise, or even spread bad links. Again, it's a matter of being able to prevent the bad seeds, and it's very unfortunate that it has to be a slight annoyance to thousands of legitimate users.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Unfortunately we've had problems with users taking advantage of the PM system to spam advertise, or even spread bad links. Again, it's a matter of being able to prevent the bad seeds, and it's very unfortunate that it has to be a slight annoyance to thousands of legitimate users.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. As someone said up above :thumbup:, couldn't post count have something to do with it? Say, having 500 post count would shorten the delay to half what it is, then 1k post count to half of that? It could probably stop there, just in case someone "goes bad" so to speak ::'

polvCwJ.gif

Don't underestimate how much of an annoyance this problem can be.

If it's an annoyance for the majority of the users, then I'd love to see them get involved in this topic. So far only a few have mentioned this, and not many think it's a huge obstacle. I mean it, please post your opinions, it's what the forum is here for. ::'

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Don't underestimate how much of an annoyance this problem can be.

If it's an annoyance for the majority of the users, then I'd love to see them get involved in this topic. So far only a few have mentioned this, and not many think it's a huge obstacle. I mean it, please post your opinions, it's what the forum is here for. ::'

Feel like putting up a global poll?

You know that hardly anyone ever comes into this forum which is why not many people post here.

They can all relate, it's just most dont know where to post.

And it's mostly forum gamers/oldschool tiffers/blogscapers who would want this lowered i think...

Believe me, I'm not trying to make the issue seem smaller than it is, but I'm trying to make the point that unless enough people agree (and polls are inaccurate for too many reasons for me to name them right now) that it's a big nuisance... Just being realistic here, if the general impression is that only a few people are affected by it, then there's not a big chance that there will be implemented any big changes. Personally I think some of the suggestions here are very good.

Tell your friends? :)

Believe me, I'm not trying to make the issue seem smaller than it is, but I'm trying to make the point that unless enough people agree (and polls are inaccurate for too many reasons for me to name them right now) that it's a big nuisance... Just being realistic here, if the general impression is that only a few people are affected by it, then there's not a big chance that there will be implemented any big changes. Personally I think some of the suggestions here are very good.

i have no friends tho :(

lol fine, i'll poke around a bit just for you.

I agree with what Jimmy said earlier. This forum is almost dead, so a thread getting even 4 pages shows significant interest. How hard would this be to add? Would a few paypal donations help speed the process? :?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I really don't view this forum as dead tbh. People who care are the ones that will notice this thread. I don't think advertising it would be the best via everyone will probably say yes even though it is not really needed. I personally only run into it when I do my PM's and browse the forum at the same time. If the timers could stay the same but have the Pm & Forum timer separate I would love that. :thumbup:

Other than that, I run into the timer maybe once every few days, I think it is worth the added security it brings. Though I will admit that H&A is where I ran into it the most when I had time to post there. :S

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

I really don't view this forum as dead tbh. People who care are the ones that will notice this thread. I don't think advertising it would be the best via everyone will probably say yes even though it is not really needed. I personally only run into it when I do my PM's and browse the forum at the same time. If the timers could stay the same but have the Pm & Forum timer separate I would love that. :thumbup:

Other than that, I run into the timer maybe once every few days, I think it is worth the added security it brings. Though I will admit that H&A is where I ran into it the most when I had time to post there. :S

I run into it in Clan discusson fairly often. Same as in Blogscape.

polvCwJ.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I like the post count idea, even though mines not very high, but I think it's not that annoying then again, I don't post constantly or get flooded with PM's so I'm not the best judge, but as someone stated earlier, it's only stopped me maybe 10 times in the past two years *granted I took a 5 month or so break.

21ed8x.jpg

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

I like the post count idea, even though mines not very high, but I think it's not that annoying then again, I don't post constantly or get flooded with PM's so I'm not the best judge, but as someone stated earlier, it's only stopped me maybe 10 times in the past two years *granted I took a 5 month or so break.

It's stopping me right now, I literally have 3 tabs open with the title "Forum.Tip.It * Post a reply" with the reply all typed out ready to send :wall:

And of course, I gotta wait to send this... I keep ending up appending my posts simply because I have nothing better to do

Oh, and what happened to your old avy? I used to brush my screen every time I saw it, I had a hole in my kitchen screen door that bugs sometimes got in and landed on my screen, kept thinking it was that :lol:

Yay, I can finally post! Hallelujah!

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks