Work outs

yaff2

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

ok im just like you i am 6'1 and 125lbs and i work out everyday,i cant really give you tips on eating cuz i eat terribly :thumbsup: .

What i do is not much at all but i do about 30 curls with 10lb dumbbells,then 20-30 pushups,then bench how ever much you want or can bench like 20-30 reps,then do 50-100 situps and repeat 2 or 3 times.It is not much at all but it really helps.

O ya and i run when its warm i run 2-3miles a day when its warm.

Hope this helps.

You work out everyday? That is going to be more damaging than helpful. The fact that you do so many reps suggests that you are not working yourself hard enough...aka need more weight! You are very light for your height so cut out some days you "work out". If you continue to work out so much, you will lose weight, not gain it.

OT: Aim to go to the gym approx 2 times a week as a start. This will increase over time.

I usually aim to do 2 sets of 7, followed by a "fail" attempt. Eg I will do 7 benchpresses of 20, followed by 7 more of 22, then depending on how hard you found it, drop it down or increase. On the last set, do it until you literally can do no more! I also reccommend protein shakes for putting on weight.

If you need anymore advise, let me know.

Good Luck

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you were really fat, and wanted to get rid of fat before gaining muscle, what would you do ?

Running and ab workouts. You'll really burn the [cabbage] outta your belly, and have a nice little present underneath! That's what's happened to me. I have a little bit of a belly, but it's actually pretty hard. I'm happy.

Doing the same kinda things male gymnasts do it actually a good workout. I've been doing it for about two weeks, and I've already increased my bench max to 165.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

This is what I do:

Workout every other day, this gives your muscles time to heal and grow between workouts. Lift as much weight as you can to begin with then go back to a lower weight to allow your pump to become quicker.

Day 01 - Biceps/Triceps

Dumbells, 10 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can get good lift with

Dips, 6 sets 15 reps

Barbell Curls, most weight you can lift, 5 sets 10 reps, after each set quickly pick up a dumbell and do 5-10 hammercurls

Barbell Curls, less weights for better/faster pump, 5 sets 10 reps

Day 03 - Chest

Dumbells, 10 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can get good lift with

Bench Press, 5 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can

Dumbell Curls, 5 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can, towards chest from holding with arms out stretched if you know what I mean

Bench Press, 5 sets of 10 reps, less weight than first time for better/faster pump

Dumbell Curls, same weight as first time

Day 05 - Biceps/Triceps again

Day 07 - Chest again

etc etc

This is what I am doing at the minute, I often throw some other stuff in for shoulders and back etc but this is what I mainly do, then I'll move onto the six pack and then lower body

Good luck hope this helps :)

Some friendly advise, drop the number of reps. You are not challenging your body enough if you do 100 reps of bench press :S

And by the way, the slower the rep, the more benficial, as a fast "pump" as you call it is barely working you at all

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Assuming you were really fat, and wanted to get rid of fat before gaining muscle, what would you do ?

Cardio and proper nutrition. (Proper nutrition = A lot of food when you weight a lot even when trying to lose the weight, so in my opinion you might as well try to gain some muscle. A lot of good cardio exercises involve legs, so you could go easy on training your leg muscles if you don't know where your body's limits are.)

ok a need some advice

well im trying to lose a bit of fat and gain some muscle instead

my workout now which i started about 5-6 weeks ago:

Curls: 5kg dumbells - 30-40 reps

Situps: 30-40

Squats: 60-100 sometimes weighted holding dumbells

i repeat 2 or 3 times and usually takes me 20mins

ive kind of started eating better and im going to try and cut out anything unnecessary

im asking for any changes i should make in my workout or diet suggestions

Do back muscles as well if you do abs. I would also recommend doing a larger variety of exercises and doing all of the two or three sets of each move before going to the next one. That's a whole lot of reps you're doing. You could do less reps with more weights. Are the dumbells adjustable? If not, you can get used adjustable dumbells online for a pretty cheap price (like 20 /$). If you can't find anything online, you can always buy from shops for just a bit more.

As for nutrition I can't really say anything since you didn't say anything about what you're eating. Weight loss cardio + lifting will always use up a lot of resources, so make sure you're eating enough of whatever you're eating. The info on how to eat properly can be found with 30 seconds of googling though.

I recommend http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm to anybody who wants to know more about the basics of working out or about how to train at home. And no, I don't know why the guy never wears a shirt.

Rao.png

Some friendly advise, drop the number of reps. You are not challenging your body enough if you do 100 reps of bench press :S

And by the way, the slower the rep, the more benficial, as a fast "pump" as you call it is barely working you at all

Thanks for the tips, 100 reps is just a target for me, I usually don't hit it because I "fail" before then and finish :)

By fast pump I was trying to mean, so your not squarming all over the place and not keeping your back straight when lifting as your arms are tired from the max weight and so you are getting a proper lift, couldn't think how to explain it earlier :)

It's tough at the top ;)

what? what's the point of doing reps that high?

if you can do more than 15 reps, look at your form and increase the weight

i dont know why you guys do sit ups. do you guys even feel the ab burn? even if i do 100 i get exhausted but no ab burn. 50 crunches and i can feel it.

ok a need some advice

well im trying to lose a bit of fat and gain some muscle instead

my workout now which i started about 5-6 weeks ago:

Curls: 5kg dumbells - 30-40 reps

Situps: 30-40

Squats: 60-100 sometimes weighted holding dumbells

i repeat 2 or 3 times and usually takes me 20mins

ive kind of started eating better and im going to try and cut out anything unnecessary

im asking for any changes i should make in my workout or diet suggestions

Do back muscles as well if you do abs. I would also recommend doing a larger variety of exercises and doing all of the two or three sets of each move before going to the next one. That's a whole lot of reps you're doing. You could do less reps with more weights. Are the dumbells adjustable? If not, you can get used adjustable dumbells online for a pretty cheap price (like 20 /$). If you can't find anything online, you can always buy from shops for just a bit more.

As for nutrition I can't really say anything since you didn't say anything about what you're eating. Weight loss cardio + lifting will always use up a lot of resources, so make sure you're eating enough of whatever you're eating. The info on how to eat properly can be found with 30 seconds of googling though.

I recommend http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm to anybody who wants to know more about the basics of working out or about how to train at home. And no, I don't know why the guy never wears a shirt.

yeah the dumbbells are adjustable, should i try 10 reps of 10kg and do a few reps in a row, then move onto situps etc

im going to look at that website now, and might google the right nutrition in a moment

thanks for the help

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

Maybe i'm a noob here, but i'm pretty sure crunches are a horrible way to build muscle mass.

:-# ?

I take a human growth hormone at the moment (gotta love insurance) because I was like 5'0 or some [cabbage] at 15 years old.

I'm 17 now, i'm 5'5 and it might just be because of the hormone, but i seem to build muscle really easily. I'm quite muscular, but i just want to make sure i'm doing everything right. I do reps that start out at a low weight, or at least in your comfort zone, and then do about 4 more (depending on what your working) and on your last one, try to kick it up a notch and reach the next "level".

Is there something else I need to be doing, besides speaking better english? -.-

"To all you youngsters reading this, if you are under 25 STOP PLAYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. Life is to short and you are only that young once. Trust me when i say this, take advantage of the girls now. Once they are 25+ and have been around a few times they arnt dumb anymore, the fun is all over."

--BAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Maybe i'm a noob here, but i'm pretty sure crunches are a horrible way to build muscle mass.

I take a human growth hormone at the moment (gotta love insurance) because I was like 5'0 or some [cabbage] at 15 years old.

I'm 17 now, i'm 5'5 and it might just be because of the hormone, but i seem to build muscle really easily. I'm quite muscular, but i just want to make sure i'm doing everything right. I do reps that start out at a low weight, or at least in your comfort zone, and then do about 4 more (depending on what your working) and on your last one, try to kick it up a notch and reach the next "level".

Is there something else I need to be doing, besides speaking better english? -.-

I didn't mean replace the whole routine with crunches. Just replace sit ups with it.

Also, check out this forum *sorry for advertising.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

It's really interesting and has people that actually know about working out (not that all of you don't, but some of you are just saying random things that you may think are helping but aren't..)

21ed8x.jpg

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Joe, your avatar and intense knowledge of the teen section of this website are sending me weird vibes.

How to lose weight for a very fat person:

1) Talk to your doctor about diet options

2) Talk to your doctor about exercise plans

3) Start diet plan

4) Incrementally work your way into exercise. Considering you may be fat and out of shape, this may involve starting with such simple activity as pilates or running in place to walking, power walking, jogging, and finally running. Cardio is the way to lose weight. Lose the weight first, and then work on muscle toning.

5) Continue diet and exercise plans. You want to increase the diet (eating less food) as you go, and increase physical exercise as well.

6) Reach your target weight

7) Talk to your doctor about diet and exercise to maintain your target weight

8) Talk to gym trainer about toning your body (when you lose a lot of weight, you will still have some fat in awkward places. They will instruct you on how to tone your body).

9) When body is toned, then work on "buffouts" like free weights.

10) Pick a routine you can maintain. Getting huge muscles and then lapsing in routine will make for lots of fat. Notice how ex-football players are usually overweight and flabby? It's better to be slightly defined than to be the Incredible Hulk.

This is what my doctor told me, at least. I was 75 lbs overweight last August. I've since lost 51 lbs with a mere 24 left to go to reach my target weight.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Supplements = heart attacks :D .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

If you'll kindly take 12 seconds to click on my myspace you'll notice I'm only 16 myself.

You missed the joke. Your avatar is a pedophile in a cartoon. And your topic is about 16 year olds working out. It was funny. Tee hee.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Joe, your avatar and intense knowledge of the teen section of this website are sending me weird vibes.

How to lose weight for a very fat person:

1) Talk to your doctor about diet options

2) Talk to your doctor about exercise plans

3) Start diet plan

4) Incrementally work your way into exercise. Considering you may be fat and out of shape, this may involve starting with such simple activity as pilates or running in place to walking, power walking, jogging, and finally running. Cardio is the way to lose weight. Lose the weight first, and then work on muscle toning.

5) Continue diet and exercise plans. You want to increase the diet (eating less food) as you go, and increase physical exercise as well.

6) Reach your target weight

7) Talk to your doctor about diet and exercise to maintain your target weight

8) Talk to gym trainer about toning your body (when you lose a lot of weight, you will still have some fat in awkward places. They will instruct you on how to tone your body).

9) When body is toned, then work on "buffouts" like free weights.

10) Pick a routine you can maintain. Getting huge muscles and then lapsing in routine will make for lots of fat. Notice how ex-football players are usually overweight and flabby? It's better to be slightly defined than to be the Incredible Hulk.

This is what my doctor told me, at least. I was 75 lbs overweight last August. I've since lost 51 lbs with a mere 24 left to go to reach my target weight.

Alright Bari! I had a stats teacher in high school who was a little over 100 pounds overweight and she started doing exactly what you said and lost 75 pounds in a little less than a year. It's amazing how effective an organized weight loss plan is.

Also, check out this forum *sorry for advertising.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

It's really interesting and has people that actually know about working out (not that all of you don't, but some of you are just saying random things that you may think are helping but aren't..)

yeah, bodybuilding.com is a great resource

Some of the people on that forum are so ridiculously arrogant though.

Anyway, I'm working on gaining a bit more muscle overall for sports, last year when I played I didn't have enough endurance or overall strength.

So, here's what I'm doing now.

In no particular order:

5 sets of 25 push ups

4 sets of 50 crunches

8 sets of 25 bicep curls (25 pound weights, and I know I'm probably doing too many sets, but I enjoy it, even if it doesn't help me.)

I do this three times a week, usually. Anything else I should be doing, or what should I change.

EDIT: Oh, and I do at least a mile on a treadmill every day.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Let's see, how many things are wrong with your idea...

1) Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't isolate so much; if you just do curls, you're going to end up with biceps. And nothing but biceps. You'll look [developmentally delayed]ed and disfigured if you keep with that, and you won't have the proper muscle balance to use your biceps, or body for that matter, properly. But I have to admit, if you can do eight legit sets of 25 with 25 pound dumbells (back straight, arms all the way down and back up), you've got to be pretty ripped, at least in the arm sector anyways.

2) Push ups... they're not bad, but I've found them to be pretty inefficient. Try things like bench, military press, squat, (hanging) dips, etc. Go to the gym, use the weights, and again, avoid doing isolation exercises too much.

3) I my opinion, sit ups and crunches suck. Hate to mention my body (I HATE when members do that, "I have supar muscles (not that you can see them) so I know everything"), but I didn't get a six pack (not of beer)/obliques on crunches. I got it on hanging leg lifts and other real ab exercises, like these. If you are really desperate for proof that my opinion might mean something, don't be. I really don't care to post a pic, and that site's self-explanatory. Hypocrisy, I know. Regardless, use those exercises on that site for abs, period.

But again, as with the curls, if you can do 4 straight sets of 50 legit crunches, I'm fairly impressed. Then again, I remember the last time I talked about weightlifting on this thread I was debating with some guy who said he could do forty-five pull-ups straight through, so my believe-o-meter about this kind of stuff is low.

4) A mile a day is okay, but for a decent runner that's only six minutes of running (and shouldn't even tire you out that much). Either do more or train with a team that has a coach that really pushes your limit. That's how you really build endurance.

Q: Are you a chick? I can't remember.

1) I'm probably doing the bicep curls wrong, I was never actually shown the right way to do them. Since I started doing them, I have seen a noticeable difference though. Once my arms get pretty tired, after the first few (like 3 or 4) sets, I think I start to use the momentum to bring my arms back up, rather than the muscles themselves. I'll try to work on this, and do different types rather than just bicep curls.

2) I'll look into those, thanks.

3) I don't really like doing crunches, just because they don't really seem to do that much, so I'll try those exercises.

4) A mile isn't too much, but for me it's mostly just an issue of not having enough time to do more. It would probably be in my best interests to run more, though. Endurance was my main issue last year, and I've improved a good amount since then, but I still should do more.

And yes.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Anyway, I'm working on gaining a bit more muscle overall for sports, last year when I played I didn't have enough endurance or overall strength.

In no particular order:

5 sets of 25 push ups

4 sets of 50 crunches

8 sets of 25 bicep curls (25 pound weights, and I know I'm probably doing too many sets, but I enjoy it, even if it doesn't help me.)

I do this three times a week, usually. Anything else I should be doing, or what should I change.

umm are you sure about doing curls 25x8@25lbs? most girls have a tough time doing a set of 10 with 15lbs.

Reb, half the list on the link you posted are crunches lol. Yeah they might be a different version, but crunches are simple and effective. It's not that unbelievable to do 4 sets of 50 though. I can do 100 in one set but I can feel the burn halfway through. I love that feeling.

I think I'm not doing it perfectly, which I should work on, but the reason most girls I know who try to do weights can't do much is because they give up rather than push themselves. Just from experience.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I don't think I've ever seen a girl do legit upper body training at the gym, and I go three times a week. doom, are you the antichrist?

Reb, half the list on the link you posted are crunches lol. Yeah they might be a different version, but crunches are simple and effective. It's not that unbelievable to do 4 sets of 50 though. I can do 100 in one set but I can feel the burn halfway through. I love that feeling.

lol, nice catch. I guess I was thinkin' only of traditional crunches and forgot the variants had the word "crunch" in them :lol: .

And I guess it just depends on the variant of crunch. Some I think I can do 200 of, other I don't think I'd make it past 50.

In no particular order:

5 sets of 25 push ups

4 sets of 50 crunches

umm are you sure about doing curls 25x8@25lbs? most girls have a tough time doing a set of 10 with 15lbs.

I assume she means she is using a bar with 25lbs. If you can still do over 10 to 15 reps slowly, and fully isolated to just the bicep/forearm, then she needs more weight I think you will agree.

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots