Work outs

yaff2

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

[hide=]Sounds like you've got a pretty fast metabolism, so realistically you're not going to be bulking up that much until you hit your twenties, although your body might change. But if you're really serious about building muscle (and you still can, even with a very fast teenager's metabolism) then you've got to follow a pretty serious lifting routine. Split routine, two to three body parts every 48 hours, lots of protein.

http://www.animalpak.com/ is pretty good for motivation articles and no-nonesense advice.

But if you just want to keep in shape, lift weights alongside cardio. Rowing machines are great for cardio and a good muscle workout as well. Circuit training (or hill spring training) is the toughest cardio stuff you can do. I'm not a fan of jogging, it's not bad but I think your body adapts to the monotony of it. When you're lifting weights aim for about 10-12 reps and focus your workouts around the big three, bench, squats and deadlifts to build a solid core strength.

I'd say unless you really want to aspire to a bodybuilder's physique, leave all that kind of serious stuff like creatine, protein shakes and no cardio to one side. If you just want to stay healthy you can get stronger without neglecting cardio.[/hide]

I think he wants to do more than to stay healthy. 140@6'2 is borderline anorexic. I'm almost half a foot shorter than him and I weigh as much. Doing high-intensity cardio won't let him put on the weight he wants. He can stay away from creatine, but protein shake will help him reach the amount of protein he'll be needing. 5lb of ON Whey is about $40 and will last a couple of months.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to go to a gym/buy equipment to train properly?

You only "need" enough surplus calories, protein and rest. Training as a priority comes second to those 3, because you will never grow more muscle mass or will do so with sub-par results, if you neglect the right nutrition and sleeping patterns. Having access to gym equipment eases your workload significantly though, reduces joint aches/overloading, etc... Definitely buy a gym card or some of this equipment

(I personally don't keep any of this stuff at home except for dumbbells and a training bench, up to you)

•  

[*:3sajhtj3]CAP Hex dumbbells (durable and probably the cheapest on the market), pick 2 for about 80% of your maximum lift strength, 2 for 100%, and 2 for the maximum you project to have in a few months. Spend money on Bowflex or other premium dumbbells only if you're seriously into lifting weights)

[*:3sajhtj3]Bench press.. This will cost probably up to $500 and more with plates, I don't know many brands but my gym has Olympic Incline

[*:3sajhtj3]A training bench (not really even necessary, but can reduce back pains), Nordictrack probably makes the most cost effective ones at under $100[*:3sajhtj3]

Your total cost for a minimalistic home gym (disregarding treadmills, rowing machines and other 'extras') solely geared towards increasing muscle mass would be around $1k.. If I were you I'd just get a gym card

No, you don't "need" any equipment to train properly. 1 of the strongest persons I've met, a S.Sgt from Senegal, some 6'4 | 230lbs with probably less than 5% body fat insisted he only trained by push-ups and other body excercises for roughly 5 years eating only lamb and fish with rice. He only started using gym equipment after living in various western countries. Biologically I think it's very plausible, but it will take extra dedication and consume more time than equivalent training with weights would.

Thanks. I was asking because I don't have any gyms near my house, nor do I have much money to invest in this. :?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Hey guys, so im going to get back into working out again but i was wondering if anyone would have any good tips to help me stay in shape, work out, and eat healthier. Any advice, or help you can give me i would appreciate greatly!

Cardio, It's good for your body and heart.

shooterbob7.png

[hide=]Sounds like you've got a pretty fast metabolism, so realistically you're not going to be bulking up that much until you hit your twenties, although your body might change. But if you're really serious about building muscle (and you still can, even with a very fast teenager's metabolism) then you've got to follow a pretty serious lifting routine. Split routine, two to three body parts every 48 hours, lots of protein.

http://www.animalpak.com/ is pretty good for motivation articles and no-nonesense advice.

But if you just want to keep in shape, lift weights alongside cardio. Rowing machines are great for cardio and a good muscle workout as well. Circuit training (or hill spring training) is the toughest cardio stuff you can do. I'm not a fan of jogging, it's not bad but I think your body adapts to the monotony of it. When you're lifting weights aim for about 10-12 reps and focus your workouts around the big three, bench, squats and deadlifts to build a solid core strength.

I'd say unless you really want to aspire to a bodybuilder's physique, leave all that kind of serious stuff like creatine, protein shakes and no cardio to one side. If you just want to stay healthy you can get stronger without neglecting cardio.[/hide]

I think he wants to do more than to stay healthy. 140@6'2 is borderline anorexic. I'm almost half a foot shorter than him and I weigh as much. Doing high-intensity cardio won't let him put on the weight he wants. He can stay away from creatine, but protein shake will help him reach the amount of protein he'll be needing. 5lb of ON Whey is about $40 and will last a couple of months.

your kidding me right? lmao no where NEAR as skinny as an anorexic. Not even close there bud

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

Anorexia is an eating disorder, not just a low weight. There's nothing unhealthy about being skinny, so if he's just wanting to keep fit then bulking isn't an issue. But obviously if he's wanting to gain weight then weightlifting with a protein heavy diet is the way to go.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Go check out a weightlifting forum or site and ask what's up. Join the football or rugby team at your school.

dot. most people here are delusional about gaining muscles. derp derp gaining muscles is easy derp derp

though some ppl know their stuff like bluelancer and assassin

What? :|

He agreed with you. He finds a lot of people here are delusional: "Gaining muscle is easy lolz"

But according to him, some people know what they're talking about, like Bluelancer or Assassin.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

• 3 weeks later...

To avoid starting another thread, I chose to bump this one instead.

First of all, I weight 125 pounds and am 6 feet 1 inch tall. That is very skinny for my height and I'm trying to build muscle to raise it.

My first choice is to do situps because I have been extremely lazy over the last 2 years and lost all of my muscle. However, I have been sitting on the computer in the meantime which has given me back problems. When I get onto the floor and do situps, the lower sides of my back hurt extremely and I have to flatten myself out after only about 15 to relieve the stress. How can I correct this and what other simple home workouts would you suggest without me buying any gym equipment at all?

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

First off, you won't build significant (any?) muscle mass doing situps. If you want to build muscles I'd strongly advise you to buy a couple of adjustable dumbells for home, they don't have to be expensive, just something to add some resistance. If you do, use them to perform the basic exercises for each muscle group. For shoulders do standing presses, bicep curls for biceps, overhead extensions for triceps etc. etc. (I can give you more detail if you want).

But if you really don't want to spend any money but still want to build muscle, research and perform the following exercises: pressups (normal and with your legs raised on a chair), burpees, pistol squats, tricep dips with a chair, pullups off some object in the house and handstand presses if you can. The downside to this is that some muscle groups are very neglected (shoulders, biceps, legs) so this is why I'd recommend some dumbells.

As for your back, I'm no physio but if doing situps strains your back badly then stop doing them. Perform leg raises for your abs. And thoroughly stretch your back before trying any, focus on building up the number instead of continuing until you have to stop because of pain. Listen to your body.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Do heavier weights, if at the end of a set you aren't breathing hard or have a red face or arent in another way tired, you're doing it wrong. You probably want a weight that you can do around or under 10 reps of.

Do more big compound movements and less small isolation movements.

Work out all your muscles, don't just be some "bench and curls" idiot

Increase your calorie intake and preferably eat cleaner foods.

First off, you won't build significant (any?) muscle mass doing situps. If you want to build muscles I'd strongly advise you to buy a couple of adjustable dumbells for home, they don't have to be expensive, just something to add some resistance. If you do, use them to perform the basic exercises for each muscle group. For shoulders do standing presses, bicep curls for biceps, overhead extensions for triceps etc. etc. (I can give you more detail if you want).

But if you really don't want to spend any money but still want to build muscle, research and perform the following exercises: pressups (normal and with your legs raised on a chair), burpees, pistol squats, tricep dips with a chair, pullups off some object in the house and handstand presses if you can. The downside to this is that some muscle groups are very neglected (shoulders, biceps, legs) so this is why I'd recommend some dumbells.

There's always squats, calf raises, and lounges for legs.

Would climbing be a good work out? I'm just wondering. I heard everyone getting excited about a climbing wall somewhere. I thought it was just fun to climb up high and then "accidentally" fall into the pit of mushy stuff. And then throw it everywhere.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Climbing is an awesome workout. And is particularly useful to be skilled at if you ever find yourself hanging off a cliff.

Running if good for the heart and your endurance.

Weights is good for strength and looking intimidating.

All workouts are great for the mind.

And sex is great for your core. Pelvic thrusts FTW!

You know what's a great workout?

Fraternity pledge events.

Why the [bleep] am I up at 4:30 AM on Sunday?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Excellent, yet another unhelpful, ill-natured and uncongenial "tidbit" from Rebdragon. Again, trying to entertain the OT masses with his wit and flexing his intellect with lame rhetoric and bland, dry meaningless aphorisms.

A11 of j00r b4s3 4Re b3l0ng to R3b|)R4G0n. See, I can be funny too.

Look at the post time, I'm not joking. I just got back from a pledge event that went from 10 PM to 4 AM which involved a [cabbage]load of calesthenics and other not-so-fun things.

One of the brothers in the house is in the mother-[bleep]ing army. That was the killer. I don't think my muscles have ever been this sore.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Excellent, yet another unhelpful, ill-natured and uncongenial "tidbit" from Rebdragon. Again, trying to entertain the OT masses with his wit and flexing his intellect with lame rhetoric and bland, dry meaningless aphorisms.

A11 of j00r b4s3 4Re b3l0ng to R3b|)R4G0n. See, I can be funny too.

I thought it was funny.

And sorry, but I don't have a rock-climbing gym near where I live.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

ok a need some advice

well im trying to lose a bit of fat and gain some muscle instead

my workout now which i started about 5-6 weeks ago:

Curls: 5kg dumbells - 30-40 reps

Situps: 30-40

Squats: 60-100 sometimes weighted holding dumbells

i repeat 2 or 3 times and usually takes me 20mins

ive kind of started eating better and im going to try and cut out anything unnecessary

im asking for any changes i should make in my workout or diet suggestions

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

This is what I do:

Workout every other day, this gives your muscles time to heal and grow between workouts. Lift as much weight as you can to begin with then go back to a lower weight to allow your pump to become quicker.

Day 01 - Biceps/Triceps

Dumbells, 10 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can get good lift with

Dips, 6 sets 15 reps

Barbell Curls, most weight you can lift, 5 sets 10 reps, after each set quickly pick up a dumbell and do 5-10 hammercurls

Barbell Curls, less weights for better/faster pump, 5 sets 10 reps

Day 03 - Chest

Dumbells, 10 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can get good lift with

Bench Press, 5 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can

Dumbell Curls, 5 sets of 10 reps, max weight you can, towards chest from holding with arms out stretched if you know what I mean

Bench Press, 5 sets of 10 reps, less weight than first time for better/faster pump

Dumbell Curls, same weight as first time

Day 05 - Biceps/Triceps again

Day 07 - Chest again

etc etc

This is what I am doing at the minute, I often throw some other stuff in for shoulders and back etc but this is what I mainly do, then I'll move onto the six pack and then lower body

Good luck hope this helps :)

It's tough at the top ;)