Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

W-A-S-D Movement

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Davidd
Many MMORPG's and FPS's used the "WASD" keys to move around in game. Call of Duty 4 and WOrld of Warcraft are two I can name offhand. I am proposing that we have the ability to switch between that and clicking.

Chat Interference:

You make think that this would interfere with chatting. My solution is to make it where you have to press the "enter" key to use the chat.

( I still recommend Ventrilo/TS though)

What are your guys opinions on this?

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Balazeal
[ Display Name History ]

Balazeal

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • RSN:Bonesaw342
  • Clan:None
Uh, why? Is there any reason why WASD movement is better than click based movement? Is there any real reason to used WASD? Also, you said that many FPS's use the WASD keys to move, yes they do, but those are FPS's, and this is Runescape, a java based browser (third person)MMORPG, kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
100% F2P

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009
99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

josh181830
[ Display Name History ]

josh181830

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 528 posts

Uh, why? Is there any reason why WASD movement is better than click based movement? Is there any real reason to used WASD? Also, you said that many FPS's use the WASD keys to move, yes they do, but those are FPS's, and this is Runescape, a java based browser (third person)MMORPG, kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

Well it's easier to move around (except the fact that you can only move in straight lines in RS), and it's also easier on the mouse

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RSN:superHYTnova

Well it's easier to move around (except the fact that you can only move in straight lines in RS), and it's also easier on the mouse

Your mouse isn't going to break down because you play Runescape.

Anyway, Runescape is completely designed for click-navigation, and W-A-S-D movement is unneeded and would mess things up. Enter for chat is a pain, and I use chat a ton.
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Slayr
[ Display Name History ]

Slayr

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • RSN:Slayr_0f_Ice
WASD would make the control scheme almost impossible. Also, do you propose that click movement stays around?

josh181830
[ Display Name History ]

josh181830

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 528 posts

Anyway, Runescape is completely designed for click-navigation, and W-A-S-D movement is unneeded and would mess things up. Enter for chat is a pain, and I use chat a ton.

Well my left click broke down once, but eh, I guess that's just me. WASD movement would help because then you don't have to repeatedly click to go somewhere, instead you could just hold down W, A, S, or D... but then again, RS isn't for this type of movement. :(

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RSN:superHYTnova

Well my left click broke down once, but eh, I guess that's just me. WASD movement would help because then you don't have to repeatedly click to go somewhere, instead you could just hold down W, A, S, or D... but then again, RS isn't for this type of movement. :(

A) That must be a really cheap mouse, or it was defective.

B) Exactly my point. RS isn't for this.

:thumbup:
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

josh181830
[ Display Name History ]

josh181830

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 528 posts

A) That must be a really cheap mouse, or it was defective.

B) Exactly my point. RS isn't for this.

:thumbup:

I think I clicked too much, now I have the fear of clicking my mouse excessively... :wall:

But to think of it again, RS movement is fine the way it is; with the WASD movement you can't type, move, and click at the same time

Jenove
[ Display Name History ]

Jenove

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Jenove
  • RSN2:Gerr6
  • Clan:Talshair... if they stop rasing Reqs.

Pinaples rockz
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath
This is a tile based game, so having WASD movement similar to warcraft wouldn't work.

If it were north south east west WASD movement it would just fail.
O.O

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
I agree with the other posters, even though I agree a little with you too. Sure it would be cool to move your character with the WASD keys or the arrow ones, but the game is built up around a click-movement type. It would be to much work to change it now.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Riptide Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Riptide Mage

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  • RSN:Riptide Mage
  • Clan:DGS
I wouldn't mind a toggle for WASD to rotate the camera.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

I wouldn't mind a toggle for WASD to rotate the camera.

that may work better than WASD for movement... especially when PKing or playing the GOP. For some reason WASD is just more comfortable for my left hand to use than the arrow keys.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
Well, it would make chatting and such harder.

For example, in WoW, you gotta press "enter" before.

In RS, talking is much more necesary, expecially in trading.

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.
I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.
PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.
My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users