Will 'We' Cause the 'Downfall of Runescape'?

IMSecure

I've been reading alot of topics lately, both on Tip.it, RSOF and several other fansites. I've noticed a huge pattern. It's perfectly ok for us to break rules, but as soon as Jagex makes rules that STOP this rule-breaking, players suddenly get mad.

For instance, several years ago, not many people bought gold. I know lots of people did, but it wasn't as extreme as it use to be before Jagex removed the Open trading. Nobody really thought to much about it. Many people even thought it was alright. However, as soon as Jagex tries to fix this 'problem' which WE (I mean WE as runescape players, not tip.it-ers) cause, many of us suddenly grow angry at Jagex.

This has happened many times in Runescape's history where we grow angry at Jagex for trying to fix problems that started out small, but eventually led to many people abusing them.

I was just wondering what you guys think of this growing pattern. What if this problem becomes so extreme, that runescape just "dies".

*NOTE: I am not blaming Jagex for anything. I almost never do. Even though I did not enjoy the recent updates, I felt they were needed.

I am asking if the recent opinions that Runescape is not as fun are actually OUR fault, and not Jagex's

Bug abusers and rule breakers are like steroid users in baseball. If the correct measures aren't taken to stop them then everyone wonders why they should obey the rules when everyone else breaks them and can get away with it. If Runescape ever has widespread anarchy then yes, players will be the downfall of the game

britonlongbo.png

I agree with the post above just not the baseball thing because it's a fail sport :o , but at the end of the day it's a very small percentage who abuse bugs there are alot of hard working honest players out there

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

However, as soon as Jagex tries to fix this 'problem' which WE (I mean WE as runescape players, not tip.it-ers) cause, many of us suddenly grow angry at Jagex.

Well, people got angry because Jagex's solution to these problems were... well, "not liked". :P

Yup its not a popularity contest it's doing whats right.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Well, it's human nature. Humans always want to do things the easiest way, and gold buyers were simply people who followed their instinct. Not to say that their instinct was fair or right, but it followed the rules of nature if it did not follow the rules of Jagex.

In short, "We" as a community did not let it happen, but a select few individuals did.

I agree with the post above just not the baseball thing because it's a fail sport :o , but at the end of the day it's a very small percentage who abuse bugs there are alot of hard working honest players out there

Sadly the rule breakers get the most attention, so it seems like there's more of them, but they are a very small percentage as you say. I'm generally an optimistic person, and as long as Jagex doesn't make stupid mistakes, like letting BH get out of hand, there won't be a downfall for us to cause for many years to come.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

You can stop a murderer by putting them in jail, or shooting them.

Jagex chose to shoot them, multiple times.

And then, you shoot everyone around them, because even thought they didn't do anything, they were near the murderer.

Nice analogy.

But they tried the jail approach, and it didn't work out. All that was left was the gun. Maybe they did shoot too many people, but could it have worked out any other way? I can't think of any, but that's not saying much.

Yes gold farming was destroying runescape but now its alot less than 000.1% of all players. :P

Which brings me to how do Dragon boots stay over 200k when 50k people can go and kill for them and 100s are being dropped from the mages daily I posted this part because it could cause the DOWNFALL.

Yes gold farming was destroying runescape but now its alot less than 000.1% of all players. :P

Which brings me to how do Dragon boots stay over 200k when 50k people can go and kill for them and 100s are being dropped from the mages daily I posted this part because it could cause the DOWNFALL.

. and ,. Use them. And they stay as high because there is a high demand for them, and people still die with them (for example in PvP).

2j3qh46.jpg

The Dec. '08 updates were necessary for the most part, but the measures they're taking recently and currently aren't necessary and it shows Jagex is willing to ruin aspects of the game for their convenience.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

The Dec. '08 updates were necessary for the most part, but the measures they're taking recently and currently aren't necessary and it shows Jagex is willing to ruin aspects of the game for their convenience.

They were December 2007, not 2008.

The way I see it, RWT is still evolving, even when almost dead. Jagex has to make new measures, otherwise the problem will just grow again. It's like a bacteria infection. If you wanna kill it with penicillin, you better make sure it's entirely wiped out before you stop taking penicillin. If you don't, the bacteria will just become resistant to the penicillin and then you're screwed. Same here, the trouble is adapting and Jagex has to confront it.

Wow I'm suprised people actually commented.

What I was trying to say is asking why Jagex is being blamed, when its not Jagex's fault that there were RWT anyway. People don't seem to understand that there are only RWT because we, not jagex, want to buy gold. And again, I use 'We' meaning runescape players.

I love your analogies though.

I'm going to make my own though, and this will be semi-disgusting. If you are of the feint at heart, don't read.

-----------------------------------------------------------

RWT is like an ingrown-toenail. It starts small and insignificant and easy to stop. However, if measures aren't taken, it can turn into something serious. It can still be stopped though. Although if you don't do anything to stop it, it can spread and eventually you need to get your toe amputated.

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, what other methods could Jagex use to ban RWT-ers? I've thought of a couple but I don't know how well they would work.

1. Ban an account when the IP adresses change dramatically over a short period of time (Like if you log in in NY and 10 minutes later you log in in China) - obvious RWTers

2. Sue a RWT Company (this helped Blizzard's WoW which had ALOT of RWT)

3. Only allow 1 IP adress per Account no matter what.

Uhm, I just fail to see how buying things with real life money is bad?

I mean, it spoils only the fun for those who buy the items!

ow and to your responses:

1. Uhm proxies? - I can easily change my ip from european to american by the click of 1 button! - This would result in many false possitives. (and it's much better to let 100 rwters slip than ban 1 innocent person).

2. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DO SO! - How long till people actually realize blizzard didn't sue RWTers, but only the ADVERTISMENT in the game? - Also not everybody lives in lands where it's so easy to sue people like the US (and parts of europe). - Why do you think most RWT companies have their main central based in asian countries? - The laws there are much different (in some areas much more strictly, but in this case too lenient to sue somebody).

3. dynamic IP's, actually most people change their IP (at least last 2 parts) of the IP address everytime they reconnect to the internet. + see point 1..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I have been paying rs for about 4 years now and for the most part i have liked the changes the people that screamed the loudest were the ones abusing the system which is typical.The bots were killing the game and the prices people were getting there accts hacked left and right and cleared out for rwt'ers something had to be done or runescape would have become a why bother game.

why bother doing anything just spend 10 bucks on ebay and buy a p hat or enough yews to get 99 fletching and a noob cape I dont like all the changes I doubt glover himself likes all the changes but sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do

old fat and bald wernt on any of the lists do what i wanted to be when i grew up

The gold buying problem was a result of Runescape being smaller then, and jagex recieving smaller amounts of money. As the game got larger and revenue increased, it became clear that this should be stopped. Jagex was losing money off credit card fraud, so they had to do something. The reason behind RWT was in inaction of Jagex, and not the action of players. Like britonlongbow said, people were wondering why they should obey the rules when others did not, and seemingly got away with it.

Runescape will burn with the blood on Jagex's hands.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Because it's cheating...

Because it's cheating...

Uhm and who says it's cheating?

Really this is just a circular argument it's bad because it is bad.... Really arguing with that makes no sense at all.

Look at another very popular game: second life, that really BUILD around buying goods ingame with real life money! - And it's pretty succesfull, and I haven't heard of any problems ever with it. (though it's not my type of game...)

I can think of a reason why it's bad alraedy: the high scores wouldn't really show dedication, but instead someone with huge amounts of money would be able to get himself up fast. - However then the question arises, what is the goal of this game? - Is it to rank yourself as high as possible (if that's the goal then indeed, RWT is a bad thing from principles already).. Or should the focus be more minded towards the actual GAMEPLAY? (in which case RWT can only be good, since it prevents doing things you think is boring, while it allows for others to do it still)...

This could actually make an interesting debate....

Then they came for me

I'm pretty sure its cheating because the rules say that buying things ingame through out of game sources is... well.... cheating?

it actually states that as a rule, so yeah, it is cheating, just because you dont view it as bad, doesnt mean it isnt against the rules.

I dont think speeding is bad when i drive, but its still agains the law... :shame: :^o

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

I'm pretty sure its cheating because the rules say that buying things ingame through out of game sources is... well.... cheating?

it actually states that as a rule, so yeah, it is cheating, just because you dont view it as bad, doesnt mean it isnt against the rules.

I dont think speeding is bad when i drive, but its still agains the law... :shame: :^o

*sigh* so we should all be mindless sheeps and don't be critical towards the rules?

If jagex says jumping from a building is good would you do?

Really, JAGEX could simply build their own RWT structure, and make it even a supported part of the game!

Then they came for me

Because it's cheating...

Uhm and who says it's cheating?

Really this is just a circular argument it's bad because it is bad.... Really arguing with that makes no sense at all.

Look at another very popular game: second life, that really BUILD around buying goods ingame with real life money! - And it's pretty succesfull, and I haven't heard of any problems ever with it. (though it's not my type of game...)

I can think of a reason why it's bad alraedy: the high scores wouldn't really show dedication, but instead someone with huge amounts of money would be able to get himself up fast. - However then the question arises, what is the goal of this game? - Is it to rank yourself as high as possible (if that's the goal then indeed, RWT is a bad thing from principles already).. Or should the focus be more minded towards the actual GAMEPLAY? (in which case RWT can only be good, since it prevents doing things you think is boring, while it allows for others to do it still)...

This could actually make an interesting debate....

There is actually no debate. Jagex makes the game and the rules. Rule: no RWT - fact.

The nature of the game is to give everybody an even chance of achieving their goals. All players are equal at the start and it's a combination of time and smart training thereafter which dictates your level and your success.

Analogy: follow the highway code and there will be no road traffic accidents / follow the rules and Jagex will not get prosecuted or suffer from RWT.

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Honestly I don't think its cheating. Sure, it gives someone with lots of money alot more advantages over people without money, but nobody saying you HAVE to buy gold. I've seen games where the company even sells their own items for real money. If you work hard you get the item and appreciate it. If you spend money, you're using money that you worked hard to get and you get the same item.

While some people think its unfair because they aren't allowed/can't buy gold, I have no problem with it. Sure, it ruined Runescape, but I as a player didn't care much. Of course, I also wasn't loosing millions of dollars from credit frauds.