3rd April 2009 - Forums for High level F2P'ers!

Wingless

Personally, I am very glad that they are allowing high level F2Pers to have forum access, depending on what JAGEX calls "high level", which from past experience, is not very high. Truly high level F2Pers are some of the most dedicated players in the game, so it will be nice having their input.

Just please, no advertisements in the forums...

Oh! And for goodness' sake... Stop with the "we are paying for F2P servers. They don't deserve this." That is what advertisements are for. That is why there are everywhere except P2P areas of the game. You lease the advertising spot for a predetermined amount of time and money. That's how advertisements work. We pay for our own *advertisement free* servers.

qeauxraline.png

"Call now, and I'll replace your old television with a new one that looks just like it, while you sleep!" --Dogbert

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should have adverts on the forums for f2pers. Then I be happy with it. They could even have embedded adverts for the forums.

They should be given incentive to become members. Some people just prefer posting on the forums more than the actual gameplay so incentive is still needed to not just freeload - To become members.

edit: This is also a good idea if they ever decided to upgrade the forums and give members more benefits over f2pers. If they ever updated them to include this benefit.

Truly high level F2Pers are some of the most dedicated players in the game, so it will be nice having their input.

and my opinion

i suppose i'm just kinda sour bc i player f2p for 4 months w/o any updates then transfered to members like a normal person would do, not taking pride out of being "f2p 4 leif!!1!!" ...seriously what is the glory in making your own life harder if it doesn't better anyone else?

thats like getting a job then forcing the boss to use the money you would earn to wipe his own [wagon] and throw it away, just so you can have a harder life and be p00r 4 lief . no glory in f2p

Y_Z.png

*invisions f2p posts "i wAnt t0 g0 kpd n00b take me! i has 40 range and Maple b0w!!1"*

No one would do that.

if they are alowed to post there, it will happen.

seriously why do you think the took the rsc part out for rs2 players.

-"buying d med 2.5m,not this is onyl rsc!"

~12 other posts~ "1 s3ll 2m pm me i'll be at the ge world 99!1!!"

Y_Z.png

*invisions f2p posts "i wAnt t0 g0 kpd n00b take me! i has 40 range and Maple b0w!!1"*

No one would do that.

if they are alowed to post there, it will happen.

seriously why do you think the took the rsc part out for rs2 players.

-"buying d med 2.5m,not this is onyl rsc!"

~12 other posts~ "1 s3ll 2m pm me i'll be at the ge world 99!1!!"

Well, considering that it's going to be high level f2p'ers, I can only hope that no one with 40 ranged will be invited. -.- Yes, there will be stupid posts. But honestly, given the complaints on tif about how much the RSOF sucks, I wouldn't think that they'd be noticed. :-#

Jagex (well, MMG, at least) has expressed a desire to upgrade all of Runescape to make it less annoying - and some annoying stuff overlaps members and f2p. They've (he's) also said that they don't consider f2p a demo, and they want to update it so that it doesn't feel as much like one. Who better to give input on that than those f2p'ers who've done it all a thousand (million) times?

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

First of all, fullscreen vs. HD requires minimal rendering power - it's almost all scaled by the client. Secondly, your randomly guessing at the number of players in each world - unless you do a sample with the exact numbers of each world over a period of time, your just making random numbers up to suit whatever purpose you have. The truth is that Jagex has put the number of ACTIVE players at over 6,000,000, and the number of members as over 1,000,000. That means that for every active member there are 5 active FTPers - and while you can make the argument about playing time, the world populations shows that it doesn't outstrip the 5 to 1 disadvantage.

If you read my orginal post, you should've read at the time of that post, those were the numbers, I didn't add up the exact amounts, I simply took the lower limits of each subset (2k, 1-2k, and 500-1k), and I actually counted how many fell in each subset.

Also, ACTIVE players means nothing. Does active mean, played one hour a week, one hour a day, 8 hours a day, or something else. This is a highly ambiguous word that can be interpreted in many ways. The only accurate way of figuring out how much server space is actually used, is continuously taking samples of how many people are on all F2P and P2P worlds at time intervals, with the numbers being slightly skewed towards F2P (As P2Pers can go on F2P, but the reverse cannot happen). I do not have the time, nor the will to do this at the current time.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

If you read my orginal post, you should've read at the time of that post, those were the numbers, I didn't add up the exact amounts, I simply took the lower limits of each subset (2k, 1-2k, and 500-1k), and I actually counted how many fell in each subset.

Really, I missed the exact counting. Convenient how all those numbers fell precisely on even 100s, is it not :roll:

Not that it would matter, grabbing lower and upper limits means nothing, especially when the data set size varies. I'm afraid that Jagex's active player numbers are slightly more revealing then your completely made up 'data'.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Really, I missed the exact counting. Convenient how all those numbers fell precisely on even 100s, is it not :roll:

Not that it would matter, grabbing lower and upper limits means nothing, especially when the data set size varies. I'm afraid that Jagex's active player numbers are slightly more revealing then your completely made up 'data'.

The actual numbers were all higher than that...the lowest populated world was at 600 persons at the time, and my data was all rounded down, for your benefit of the doubt. How about this, you go add them all up right now, and let me know what you get?

~Dan

[Edit]: Actually, I'll go add up exactly the amount right now.

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

The actual numbers were all higher than that...the lowest populated world was at 600 persons at the time, and my data was all rounded down, for your benefit of the doubt. How about this, you go add them all up right now, and let me know what you get?

~Dan

[Edit]: Actually, I'll go add up exactly the amount right now.

I'll be eaglery awaiting your response. Oh, and don't forget you'll have to get samples from several different time zones. For example, countries with lower average incomes located in certain regions could cause FTP numbers to rise and PTP numbers to fall for specific time zones, and so forth and so on with richer regions. It'll be interesting to see if my theory is correlated. Start with samples every 4 hours, it should be enough to indicate a pattern :P

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I don't see why it's a bad idea as long as it's controlled. I would think a 100+ combat requirement or a rather high skill total requirement would be good.

The only thing I have a problem with is... what would f2p contribute to the forums? All they'd have is "f2p should get this update" and maybe some pking discussions. But the f2p system isn't so diverse where there can be hundreds of different discussions on training methods and monsters like in p2p.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Smallest world has 377 People

There are currently 103,742 People Online

[hide=300-400]World 52: 377

World 54: 379

World 137: 382

World 124: 383

World 121: 385

World 67: 386

World 71: 387

World 117: 388

World 138: 389

World 84: 389

World 151: 390

World 68: 391

World 51: 391

World 148: 393

World 53: 395

World 133: 397

World 69: 397

World 82: 398

Total: 6997

Total up to Now: 6997[/hide]

[hide=401-500 People]World 23: 407

World 160: 422

World 83: 446

Total: 1275

Total up to Now: 8272[/hide]

[hide=501-600]World 92: 515

World 24: 537

World 156: 568

World 166: 572

Total: 2192

Total up to Now: 10464[/hide]

[hide=601-700]World 111: 603

World 110: 604

World 112: 623

World 143: 634

World 116: 664

World 157: 671

World 115: 671

World 18: 673

World 114: 675

Total: 5818

Total Up to Now: 16282[/hide]

[hide=701-800]World 12: 726

World 145: 791

Total: 1517

Total Up to Now: 17799[/hide]

[hide=801-900]World 132: 828

World 159: 877

World 15: 882

World 65: 893

Total: 3480

Total Up to Now: 21279[/hide]

[hide=901-1000]World 99: 911

World 48: 911

World 42: 911

World 72: 912

World 56: 912

World 46: 912

World 45: 912

World 59: 913

Wolrd 28: 913

World 130: 914

World 39: 914

World 36: 914

World 70: 915

World 98: 916

World 97: 916

World 79: 917

World 89: 919

World 76: 919

World 22: 920

World 27: 921

World 164: 923

World 77: 923

World 100: 925

World 88: 925

World 104: 926

World 103: 927

World 91: 930

World 60: 954

Total: 25723

Total Up to Now: 47002[/hide]

[hide=1001-1500]Note: I broadened the range, because there were very few worlds left

World 66: 1013

World 26: 1052

World 64: 1097

World 129: 1106

World 9: 1277

World 158: 1398

Total: 6943

Total Up to Now: 53945[/hide]

[hide=1501-2000]World 144: 1525

World 31: 1576

World 44: 1861

World 6: 2000

World 2: 2000

Total: 8962

Total Up to Now: 62907[/hide]

Total P2Pers on P2P Worlds: 62907

62907/103742 = ~60% of the online population is currently P2P

There you go.

[Edit]: Just found a site that keeps track of this stuff, and it validates what I am saying:

http://www.sercrui.com/popgraph

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

Good, my point is effectively proven. 7% of the revenue (minus what the main site earns for both FTP and PTP), vs. 42% of the bandwith\cpu power and 12,000% of the storage space. Thanks for verifying it, though.

DeviledEgg24.png

Don't visit RSOF anymore. But good for you, experienced F2P.

Lol, since when did Jagex start calling themselves Jagex Game Studios? Is Microsoft buying them out or something?

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Ok, so what you have said is correct (Not...exactly sure how you came up with 12000% more storage space though...given that everything is simply stored as data, and most P2Pers have more data per than 3-4 F2Per)

However...since this is already happening, exactly how much of this is changed by allowing High-leveled F2Pers into the RSOF? You have been simply ranting the entire time about how much F2P has cost to maintain, exactly how does this relate to letting F2Pers into the RSOF? How much more server space will this require?

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

It'll require extra bandwidth costs, cost money for mods to override forum mods, waste more server storage space, and provide that many more hassle for Jagex to deal with relating to hosting. Increasing maintenance costs means taking money away from members that would otherwise be used for updates, with no advantage - no ones going to become PTP because they can now access forums as a FTP player.

DeviledEgg24.png

It'll require extra bandwidth costs, cost money for mods to override forum mods, waste more server storage space, and provide that many more hassle for Jagex to deal with relating to hosting. Increasing maintenance costs means taking money away from members that would otherwise be used for updates, with no advantage - no ones going to become PTP because they can now access forums as a FTP player.

I disagree with the last phrase. I highly doubt ANYONE pays for membership just so they can access the forums.

Obviously, it's not going to gain profit, but then again it's equally obvious that Jagex have thought about this & are willing to reach out further into the player community.

Only fear God,

I disagree with the last phrase. I highly doubt ANYONE pays for membership just so they can access the forums.

Obviously, it's not going to gain profit, but then again it's equally obvious that Jagex have thought about this & are willing to reach out further into the player community.

Actually, I have 7 friends who pay for members for a month every now and then to post suggestions on the forum. So there goes your theory of no one.

And sorry, but the whole thing about Jagex 'not caring about money, they just want to reach out into the community and promote fairness and equality' is exactly the type of promotional crap they want you to believe while getting as much money as they can behind the scenes, just like every other company.

DeviledEgg24.png

Actually, I have 7 friends who pay for members for a month every now and then to post suggestions on the forum. So there goes your theory of no one.

And sorry, but the whole thing about Jagex 'not caring about money, they just want to reach out into the community and promote fairness and equality' is exactly the type of promotional crap they want you to believe while getting as much money as they can behind the scenes, just like every other company.

Man, when your 7 friends pay for that month of membership, does that make your game experience better? Are there more updates that month? Because if not, the whole "FtP is draggin us down" argument is failed.

OT: I don't do RSOF, it's a frakkin' noob-o-rama, so I don't care.

There might be a few people who go member just for forums, but i doubt they are many.

Also, with the subject of new players on forums, older players would generally be smarter. Even if they were dumb, jagex could hand out forum mod powers to more people to deal with the influx of f2p players.

O.O

You misunderstood me.

"I highly doubt ANYONE pays for membership JUST so they can access the forums." Note the bold word.

Unless you're actually employed by Jagex or have some sort of relation with a Jagex employee, you couldn't possibly know for a fact that in the end Jagex will expect money from this.

Only fear God,

You misunderstood me.

"I highly doubt ANYONE pays for membership JUST so they can access the forums." Note the bold word.

What part did I misunderstand? I told you of 7 friends who paied for membership JUST so they can access the forum. Notice the capitalized word.

Unless you're actually employed by Jagex or have some sort of relation with a Jagex employee, you couldn't possibly know for a fact that in the end Jagex will expect money from this.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/business/career_and_jobs/best_100_companies/article1476967.ece

Notice how Jagex isn't listed as a 'non profit' organization? Yeah, that means they are interested in making money, not giving their customers a warm fuzzy feeling :roll:

DeviledEgg24.png

All this taken from

9th February 2009 - The Future of RuneScape

If anything, we see the members version as an expansion pack for those that really love the game and we feel both games are substantive in their own right. I want to apologise for habitually over-promoting the benefits of membership to our free players.

f you can't enjoy the free game in its own right then we're not doing our jobs properly. We will continue to improve the free game and, crucially, make it as fun as possible because we know that this is the way that everyone first discovers RuneScape.

but as one of our fundamental philosophies is that having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible, we have removed video adverts from the game.

So, as you can see jagex wants free players to have fun as well, and having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible.

Making forums f2p won't substantially reduce profits for jagex, and yet it will make the free play game alot funner.

O.O

Why don't they make a separate set of forums for F2P'ers? That way, the regular RSOF wouldn't have to worry about the amount of spam doubling due to the influx of F2Pers.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.