How to convince someone to download FF?

Hawks

[hide=meh this originally was about portable browsers but...]I'm stuck with IE, and on a Win2000 I'm stuck with IE5/6... I know people have suggested downloading a portable browser, apparently FireFox and Opera have them. I've got a few questions about them though. The main one is can I add add-ons to them? Also how do I go about doing this, and what sort of downloading/installing does it entail (as I have Norton Internet Security 2003 and a restricted account). And the average size, but that shouldn't really be an issue as my flash drive still has at least 3Gb of space on it.

I'd be running it on Windows 2000 and XP. If there's any other specs you need just ask...[/hide]

How can I convince my parents to download FireFox? What's so great about it that they care to download it? Can someone help by providing a really great argument?

Their stand is that 'You already have Internet Explorer, that's the best one, and you don't need another browser.' They ignore the fact that most webpages are not being designed to cater to IE anymore and that almost no one uses it.

Adbock Plus.

'Nuff Said.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Virus arguments always work with people that seem to know as little as your parents seem to know.

Such an outdated version of IE is quite dangerous for the computer to have, as the security holes that let viruses pass aren't patched anymore. IE is also A LOT slower than Most browsers. Firefox has a few add-ons to have more security too. Don't forget to mention the fact that more and more web developpers will develop more for the common browser than IE(which renders the web pages differently that the others, while the others, for the most part, render pretty much the same way).

Indeed, IE is so tightly integrated with Windows that if a hacker gains control of IE, they can use certain exploits to gain control of the rest of the operating system. Firefox not only is decoupled from the operating system and more secure in itself but gets security patches much sooner than IE.

C2b6gs7.png

Find some articles by big name computer brands, Firefox has been rated as a good browser alternative to IE by a lot of companies.

Alternatively, download it anyway and stick an IE theme on it :P

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

About viruses: we have Norton and they're convinced that's amazing as well.

I used the 'nobody develops pages for IE anymore' excuse and he completely ignored it. This is a guy who I had an intelligent discussion about GIMP vs. PS and how the school is dumb because they'll pay money for PS but not MS Office. And it involved CMYK and TWAIN-compliantness... So he does know a lot, he's just dumb because he thinks IE is perfect.

And I can't download it because of Norton and a restricted account.

I used the 'nobody develops pages for IE anymore' excuse and he completely ignored it. This is a guy who I had an intelligent discussion about GIMP vs. PS and how the school is dumb because they'll pay money for PS but not MS Office. And it involved CMYK and TWAIN-compliantness... So he does know a lot, he's just dumb because he thinks IE is perfect.

You could always try Firefox portable ;) Afaik that doesn't need administrator access to install and works just as well as the real thing.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

You could always try Firefox portable ;) Afaik that doesn't need administrator access to install and works just as well as the real thing.

Yes, it is just limited to the speed of the USB ports :( has a tendency to freeze on USB 1.1 ports :wall:

----------------

Listening to: Dream Theater - The Glass Prison

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

just download it anyway.

or if you wanna: run a scan with norton (if it picks up anything dont delete it yet, take note of what it was), download avira antivirus, disable norton, and run a scan with avira.

make a bet with your parents that if avira picks up something norton didn't, AND picks up everything norton did, that you get firefox.

if your parents are paying for norton they need to do some more basic research into antivirus software. if i was god i would be writing a letter to your house, from some big government official, that the computer is now your legal property by law, and if they try to control your use of it in anyway they are breaking the law. kind of unrelated but meh

my parents (both 55) do not understand a single thing about the internet. when i used my mom's computer 3-4 years ago, i would be lucky if i could even download the newest version of java.

basically, there is only one way that i convinced them (this may get you in trouble)

i forget how i did it, but i made it so that her favorite pages all redirected to an html that said

"sorry, internet explorer no longer has support for this page, please switch to mozilla firefox for continued viewing"

they were foolish enough to believe it, but i have my own computer now so it doesnt really matter.

ps- you'll be able to find a video on it, i believe its called "browser hi-jacking"

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

my parents (both 55) do not understand a single thing about the internet. when i used my mom's computer 3-4 years ago, i would be lucky if i could even download the newest version of java.

basically, there is only one way that i convinced them (this may get you in trouble)

i forget how i did it, but i made it so that her favorite pages all redirected to an html that said

"sorry, internet explorer no longer has support for this page, please switch to mozilla firefox for continued viewing"

they were foolish enough to believe it, but i have my own computer now so it doesnt really matter.

ps- you'll be able to find a video on it, i believe its called "browser hi-jacking"

Thank you, I now can half our excess fees, my mum doesn't realise that with youtube vids in HD and HQ that my sister watching tv shows on it nonstop is using up heaps of the Optus modem downloads, I use the Telstra one as it is shaped, not charging excess, yet I get blamed for the excess fees if I use the Optus modem once at the start of the month, to finish that slow file...

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Wow, this is actually brilliant. :D

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

yeah i'm not kidding. redirect hijacking your own browser is perfect for this type of situation.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]