Welfare in your country

nickeley102

Im interested in the degree of social welfare you enjoy/don't enjoy in your particular country. Its easy enough to argue political policy but im more interested at a practical level. Perhaps even particular situations that you have been involved in.

Here in New Zealand I think its pretty good, we have an unemployment benefit which is enough to live on and free healthcare (providing you hurt yourself in an accident). There isnt too much pressure for you to quickly find a job and a relatively small amount of people abuse the system.

My Dad recently broke his neck in a bicycle accident and required several sets of surgery, him and Mum got paid leave and it was all free. During that time I felt pretty fortunate that we lived here.

NICKELEY102.png

Here in Australia, it's virtually nothing, it tops out around $500 a fortnight, with more available if you do community service. Everyone who earns under $30k a year gets free health care, and everyone who pays over $1 in tax has insurance.

I'd say its not a good thing to be able to live on it. That's when you get the kinds of people who don't actually want to work, and just sit on welfare their entire lives. That being said, it's more or less a popular culture reference in Australia about the indigenous population of both our countries and how they would generally prefer to sit around unemployed doing drugs than actually go to work.

SoLawny.png

We have "jobseekers" benefit though no unemployment welfare, which is seriously abused by drug addicts, alcoholics and general wasters going no where in life. All they do is collect their money on tuesday, and spend it on drugs / drink over the next week, then they'll repeat it again.

Problem is with it though, if someone loses their job it doesn't scale with their previous job's wages for a reasonable period like some other countries. Meaning if someone on 400,000 euro a year loses their job to the recession, has to pay 5000 euro a month in mortgages and there only receiving roughly 300-400 euro a week in benefits while trying to sustain their family, they're rather screwed.

Here in Britain, i think we have too much welfare for the unemployed. The systems abused so much, especially disability benefits.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

We have "jobseekers" benefit though no unemployment welfare, which is seriously abused by drug addicts, alcoholics and general wasters going no where in life. All they do is collect their money on tuesday, and spend it on drugs / drink over the next week, then they'll repeat it again.

Problem is with it though, if someone loses their job it doesn't scale with their previous job's wages for a reasonable period like some other countries. Meaning if someone on 400,000 euro a year loses their job to the recession, has to pay 5000 euro a month in mortgages and there only receiving roughly 300-400 euro a week in benefits while trying to sustain their family, they're rather screwed.

If someone was earning that sort of money, then I'm sure they can dig into their savings and tighten the belt a little. If they HAVEN'T got savings then they're complete idiots.

Both my parents have been on and off Jobseekers Allowance, we've had all sorts of other benefits. But there's ONE benefit I WILL rant about. EMA. Educational Maintenance Allowance. People going to 6th Form/College who's parents earn under £30,000 a year can get up to £30 a week for... educational expenses. But NO, I'll tell you what they do, they go to college JUST to get EMA, soon enough they've got hundreds stacking up in the bank. Not one [bleep]ing penny goes on 'educational expenses'. They all spend it on going out and getting [bleep]ing drunk at the weekend. What pisses me off even more is that my parents JUST earn over £30,000 which means I don't get it. EMA is given out because the government assumes that the parents of the other children would give their kids up to £30 a week. Let me tell you how much I get £5... from my grandparents. If I'm lucky I'll get a tenner or so at the start of the week, my mum said she'll give me £2 a day for dinners and such, but most of the time it comes out of my own pocket and just gets added up to my mum and dad's debt to me (Like £70 now)... meanwhile one of my friends gets EMA, buys £100 trainers, has an Xbox 360, Wii AND PS3... He asks me how much is in my bank I'll say like... £6... he'll say like £240... It's a load of UNFAIR [bleep]ING [cabbage]. If they're going to give out EMA, raise the band a bit higher or give it to EVERYONE. :x :x :x :x I'm [bleep]ing getting it next year... I swear :evil:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Here in Britain, i think we have too much welfare for the unemployed. The systems abused so much, especially disability benefits.

welfare benefits in the UK are actually quite low by european standards, don't believe all the stuff about "scroungers" you hear in newspapers like the sun/daily mail

But there's ONE benefit I WILL rant about. EMA. Educational Maintenance Allowance. People going to 6th Form/College who's parents earn under £30,000 a year can get up to £30 a week for... educational expenses. But NO, I'll tell you what they do, they go to college JUST to get EMA, soon enough they've got hundreds stacking up in the bank. Not one [bleep] penny goes on 'educational expenses'. They all spend it on going out and getting [bleep] drunk at the weekend. What pisses me off even more is that my parents JUST earn over £30,000 which means I don't get it. EMA is given out because the government assumes that the parents of the other children would give their kids up to £30 a week. Let me tell you how much I get £5... from my grandparents. If I'm lucky I'll get a tenner or so at the start of the week, my mum said she'll give me £2 a day for dinners and such, but most of the time it comes out of my own pocket and just gets added up to my mum and dad's debt to me (Like £70 now)... meanwhile one of my friends gets EMA, buys £100 trainers, has an Xbox 360, Wii AND PS3... He asks me how much is in my bank I'll say like... £6... he'll say like £240... It's a load of UNFAIR [bleep] [cabbage]. If they're going to give out EMA, raise the band a bit higher or give it to EVERYONE. :x :x :x :x I'm [bleep] getting it next year... I swear :evil:

I think equal EMA should be given to everyone for the reason that not everyone's parents give them money, but abolishing it would be a bad idea, the "people who only go in for EMA" effect isn't that big really and especially with the recession it can be difficult to get a part-time job to be able to get through college.

If someone was earning that sort of money, then I'm sure they can dig into their savings and tighten the belt a little. If they HAVEN'T got savings then they're complete idiots.

Both my parents have been on and off Jobseekers Allowance, we've had all sorts of other benefits. But there's ONE benefit I WILL rant about. EMA. Educational Maintenance Allowance. People going to 6th Form/College who's parents earn under £30,000 a year can get up to £30 a week for... educational expenses. But NO, I'll tell you what they do, they go to college JUST to get EMA, soon enough they've got hundreds stacking up in the bank. Not one [bleep] penny goes on 'educational expenses'. They all spend it on going out and getting [bleep] drunk at the weekend. What pisses me off even more is that my parents JUST earn over £30,000 which means I don't get it. EMA is given out because the government assumes that the parents of the other children would give their kids up to £30 a week. Let me tell you how much I get £5... from my grandparents. If I'm lucky I'll get a tenner or so at the start of the week, my mum said she'll give me £2 a day for dinners and such, but most of the time it comes out of my own pocket and just gets added up to my mum and dad's debt to me (Like £70 now)... meanwhile one of my friends gets EMA, buys £100 trainers, has an Xbox 360, Wii AND PS3... He asks me how much is in my bank I'll say like... £6... he'll say like £240... It's a load of UNFAIR [bleep] [cabbage]. If they're going to give out EMA, raise the band a bit higher or give it to EVERYONE. :x :x :x :x I'm [bleep] getting it next year... I swear :evil:

Well, the way the EMA is, its pretty [bleep]ed up. My mate, well he got about £30 per month, know what [bleep]ing annoyed me? The fact his Dad could afford him the stuff he wanted as long as he paid back.

Meanwhile, I get £20 from the EMA, and guess what? I lend them money from time to time. Hell, I don't mind, I get paid back, so I pretty much would lend it to anyone in my family. I've got about £300 because, well my parents can afford can to give me money monthly, well, weekly but I tell my mum to put it in my account monthly anyway.

Now, what pisses me off, is if I want something, I have to save for it if I want it. Which has actually put my into a somewhat good habit of watching my money, so I don't go under a certain amount (Maybe about £150-£200? I've never reached those lately).

But yeah, judging on how much your parents earn isn't a good system, it says nothing about their financial status.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Both my parents have been on and off Jobseekers Allowance, we've had all sorts of other benefits. But there's ONE benefit I WILL rant about. EMA. Educational Maintenance Allowance. People going to 6th Form/College who's parents earn under £30,000 a year can get up to £30 a week for... educational expenses. But NO, I'll tell you what they do, they go to college JUST to get EMA, soon enough they've got hundreds stacking up in the bank. Not one [bleep] penny goes on 'educational expenses'. They all spend it on going out and getting [bleep] drunk at the weekend. What pisses me off even more is that my parents JUST earn over £30,000 which means I don't get it. EMA is given out because the government assumes that the parents of the other children would give their kids up to £30 a week. Let me tell you how much I get £5... from my grandparents. If I'm lucky I'll get a tenner or so at the start of the week, my mum said she'll give me £2 a day for dinners and such, but most of the time it comes out of my own pocket and just gets added up to my mum and dad's debt to me (Like £70 now)... meanwhile one of my friends gets EMA, buys £100 trainers, has an Xbox 360, Wii AND PS3... He asks me how much is in my bank I'll say like... £6... he'll say like £240... It's a load of UNFAIR [bleep] [cabbage]. If they're going to give out EMA, raise the band a bit higher or give it to EVERYONE. :x :x :x :x I'm [bleep] getting it next year... I swear :evil:

Well, the way the EMA is, its pretty [bleep] up. My mate, well he got about £30 per month, know what [bleep] annoyed me? The fact his Dad could afford him the stuff he wanted as long as he paid back.

Meanwhile, I get £20 from the EMA, and guess what? I lend them money from time to time. Hell, I don't mind, I get paid back, so I pretty much would lend it to anyone in my family. I've got about £300 because, well my parents can afford can to give me money monthly, well, weekly but I tell my mum to put it in my account monthly anyway.

Now, what pisses me off, is if I want something, I have to save for it if I want it. Which has actually put my into a somewhat good habit of watching my money, so I don't go under a certain amount (Maybe about £150-£200? I've never reached those lately).

But yeah, judging on how much your parents earn isn't a good system, it says nothing about their financial status.

I feel the same about systems based on your parents income. Right now i'm arranging all my student loans and grants for university, which are all based off my parents earnings. My parents may earn alot, but they don't give me money and arent giving me any money to get through uni. So i end up getting the very basics in terms of loans and grants, and i'm probably going to end up having to get rid of my car and get a job and work alot just to get through. Wheras my friend, whos family doesent earn much, so he gets much more in terms of grants, and his parents pay for his car insurance. Now why should i suffer because my parens earn more money? Just because they have money doesent mean i get it does it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Ouch, sucks.

Yeah, I suppose I should ask, my mate also can pretty much get like £10 off his Dad when he asks. If I lacked the money, then hell, I doubt my parents would give me it.

What cheeses my off more, is that he works, and frankly, he's broke more often than I am. Okay sure, I'm going to look for a job soon, once my French exam is over (I've got no worries about Geography), but [cabbage], its not like I need the money. Fine, most of my money now goes towards CDs and games, but the thing is, I have it. I've had it for awhile, and my sister gets pretty much the same as me, well, slightly more. She works, I don't. Oh, and I'm probably not getting the EMA now since I'm on Study Leave, but damn, I've still got more money than her, infact I've lent her money once. I mean, kay, fair enough, she works for her money (about £100 per month), so she can spend it as she wants, and she'll pay back if she borrows it. She spends it to go out with mates, saves some, and generally ends up buying some clothes. Nothing wrong with that.

Admittedly, I do probably overspend a little (20 CDs currently), most of that probably came from the EMA, and money I get from my parents, but the fact is, I rarely do spend. Sure, whenever I go up town, I'll be likely to buy 2 CDs at least, I don't know why, its more of a habit than anything. But that happens rarely, I don't specifically go up for CDs, its normally something else.

Sucks that you have to get rid of your car, though I am wondering why you didn't have a job, could be the job market as it is currently, I'm not going to judge. To be honest, I find it funny that you have a friend like I do, who seems to be getting more, despite earning less. The system is [bleeped] up how it works, and yeah, your friend should be paying more for himself. I've never borrowed money off my parents, and I do own a PS3, granted that was from interest from some money that was put away for my future, and also granted, that money (about £2k) is still there, but I can't use that, I'm fine with that. I'm going to be paying for my own driving lessons, and hell, when my Dad hires a car to take me out for a small lesson, I pay for that myself.

Though out of curiosity, is your friend an only child, and do you have siblings?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Yeah the only good thing is that you end up being much more careful about your money, whihc you know may end up making more money when your older, then because your so good at controlling money you end up starting the whole thing again with your own kids :)

I've had a job for a few years, but with uni means moving to another part of the country so i would need to find another job, but in a perfect world i would be able to live without having a job. And my friends in the same boat as me sibling wise, one older sister for him, one older bro for me.

The funny thing is, he's never actually had a job, and hes quite a bit of a waster, which isnt really the kind of thing you want from somebody your giving money too.

zqXeV.jpg

Ah, I see what you mean about the job now. Still, I agree with you about the perfect world thing, but I could imagine getting bored if I got everything I wanted without earning it.

Though I can imagine your older siblings no longer require your parents support. Still makes no sense as to why he should get more. But hell, you're more prepared for the future than he is. Who do you think has the better parents?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Welfare undoutedly equals a good thing, whilst there will always be abuse or misplaced funds, such is the nature of any project, government, private or otherwise. Just because there is a little failing here and there doesn't mean the entire worthwhile project should be abandoned.

Welfare undoutedly equals a good thing, whilst there will always be abuse or misplaced funds, such is the nature of any project, government, private or otherwise. Just because there is a little failing here and there doesn't mean the entire worthwhile project should be abandoned.

I agree with this. I honestly wouldnt mind giving 50% of my earnings to the government in exchange for the security of knowing that all medical bills were free, education (right through to tertiary) was free and I could rely on the government if a family member (or myself) fell ill or pregnant or jobless

NICKELEY102.png

The same thing happens here in America. Too many people take things for granted and abuse the system, which potentially hurts those who really need welfare.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I agree with this. I honestly wouldnt mind giving 50% of my earnings to the government in exchange for the security of knowing that all medical bills were free, education (right through to tertiary) was free and I could rely on the government if a family member (or myself) fell ill or pregnant or jobless

agreed, the main concern with any government project is getting the proper benefit for the tax cost.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I think that people misusing welfare systems is overemphasised by the media to induce moral panic. Its a story which everyone has rights to feel upset about, but its not heaps of money and 90% of the time its justified

Maybe in your country, but here, all you need to do is walk down to a centrelink and take a look for yourself. The lines at Centrelink and a chemist who deals in methadone tend to lead to each other.

SoLawny.png

As some have mentioned about the UK, it annoys me when your parents' income is taken into account when considering how much you should get. Just because a parent is earning a decent amount, that's no guarantee that their child is getting any of it. It's at least slightly understandable when it comes to 16-17 year olds in sixth form since they are still living with their parents, but for 18+ year olds at university they are independent adults and should definitely be considered as such when it comes to grants and loans.

The last time I looked into it, if you got married then they'd take your own income and that of your spouse into account when deciding grants and loans for uni, rather than that of your parents. So I suggest that everyone going to university in the UK gets married then divorced after leaving university. :thumbup: Stupid system.

Concerning welfare in general, it astounds me that Americans don't have universal health care and apparently don't want it. Apart from the moral idea of the richest country in the world being happy to chuck someone out on the street who needs medical attention, there's a good selfish reason I wouldn't want the American system. I have contents insurance for my possessions, but I know that if I ever wanted to claim on it there's a good chance that the insurance company would find some excuse not to do so from the small print in the contract. So I could never rely on an insurance company to cover something as important as my medical care. They'll screw you over and leave you dying without giving a second thought (e.g. "this condition was pre-existing" or "you only have cover for this medicine for a year, afterwards you have to pay for it yourself").

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Well here (Canada) everyone has free health care so that doesn't come into play. I'm not sure of the actual welfare amount.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Welfare in America is more or less governed by individual states. However, alot of people abuse the system immensely. Some women will go and get themselves pregnant every few years just to be able to be on welfare for longer. Of course, they put a stop to that in my state. They put a limit on how many children you can have on welfare, which means less women are adding to the population just for money. And no, this is not speculation, I've actually witnessed it firsthand with several women that I've known. It's sickening.

The free welfare healthcare is also governed by the state, unless you are over 65. It's actually illegal to not have healthcare in my state, so they came up with new programs for those who cannot afford healthcare, or don't have it offered by their employers. There are like 3 different state-run health programs, all dependent upon income. So at least my state has it right with that.

In Britain, we have the NHS, but we have far too much unemployment and disability benefit, you can easily live off it and never have to work, even if you could get a job. It's nice that people who are legitimate jobseekers do it get a smooth ride, but there's far too many people who abuse the system.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

In Britain, we have the NHS, but we have far too much unemployment and disability benefit, you can easily live off it and never have to work, even if you could get a job. It's nice that people who are legitimate jobseekers do it get a smooth ride, but there's far too many people who abuse the system.

stop reading papers like the sun and the daily mail, UK benefits are low by European standards and although there is a few cases of "scroungers abusing the system" there is lots of people who legitly cannot get a job/cannot work.

stop reading papers like the sun and the daily mail, UK benefits are low by European standards and although there is a few cases of "scroungers abusing the system" there is lots of people who legitly cannot get a job/cannot work.

There are still too many lazy [bleep]ers abusing the system.

You don't need to read those papers to know that.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Concerning welfare in general, it astounds me that Americans don't have universal health care and apparently don't want it. Apart from the moral idea of the richest country in the world being happy to chuck someone out on the street who needs medical attention, there's a good selfish reason I wouldn't want the American system. I have contents insurance for my possessions, but I know that if I ever wanted to claim on it there's a good chance that the insurance company would find some excuse not to do so from the small print in the contract. So I could never rely on an insurance company to cover something as important as my medical care. They'll screw you over and leave you dying without giving a second thought (e.g. "this condition was pre-existing" or "you only have cover for this medicine for a year, afterwards you have to pay for it yourself").

Here in America you will never be denied life saving operations. You have $0 in your bank account, that is fine, we will save your life.

I believe the majority of Americans would not mind helping out the truly down and out. But it seems, too many a time, that people abuse the system. Most of us work hard for our money, just as we do for our runescape skill levels. I believe it would be like saying, "Hey, you have all of your skills to the max level of 99. How about we take a few of those levels and distribute them to someone else. They haven't put in nearly the amount of hours that you have developing their character, nor have they put in as much effort and hardwork. But hey, they deserve it." I would hedge the bet that most would be against this; I would. It seems that every solution the government has, just creates more problems. Our government, in America, seems a little imcompetent at times. My generation has developed, because of this, a sense of entitlement. I showed up to work, where's my money. I logged on to runescape, where's my free gp and xp. What has been done to earn it? Not nearly enough.

You are labouring under the erroneous assumption that America or anywhere else is a meritocracy. You are being exploited by the wealthy and powerful who not only take advantage of you but even make you think that that's all you are worth and so all you deserve.

Anyway, I have never met someone who likes being on benefits. I have only seen these mythical creatures in the media, which only finds the most extreme cases to publicise. Given the leaner welfare that America has, I imagine that the proportion of people who rely on benefits in America is less than in Europe. Beyond this, even if we assume that there is a significant number of people on benefits who do not deserve them - is their deadweight greater than that of the rich people who dodge taxes, use tax havens, and other methods of "abusing the system" to avoid paying their share? "The top 1 percent of households, averaging $800,000 of income, received 15 percent of all pretax money income." Source. Do 1% of households do 15% of the work in the USA?

I think that the Runescape economy has many opportunities for people to make comparisons between it and the offline world, however benefits is not one of them. If you go without some Runescape xp, it will not affect your life or the opportunities that your children have. If you have little food or have to work two jobs then that presents very real problems.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.