[How to convince someone to get a new internet browser]

Hawks

Topice changed from 'Tif is Tiny?' to more of convincing my parents I need to dl a new browser.

[hide=my problem]23w87fc.jpg[/hide]

Text is tiny, but the newmessages/chat/FAQ/etc bar is normal sized... is this on my end or tif's? and how to fix if it's on mine?

but images display normally as well.

whoa there, that's internet explorer 6.

I would highly highly suggest getting opera, it will be at least 3 or 4 times faster, it's much, much more secure, it has a ton of usful features(tabbed browsing, download manager, themes, opera turbo, etc.) and it loads pages correctly.

Also since the firefox users would murder me in my sleep here's the link to that and chrome and safari and maxthon.

If you can't live without internet explorer then please, please get the latest version of it here It's version 8

Honestly I've tried. And it's sad, really... My dad does stuff with computers for a living. He knows that IE sucks. The last time I tried I ended up discussing TWAIN drivers... That was my fault, but I was trying to get him to understand that I know (at least some of) what I'm talking about. I've tried the 'IE is a huge security hole' (which he apparently doesn't care about because Norton's supposed to counteract that [forgetting that it missed a virus *which wasn't my fault* which blew up the hard drive last year]) and 'No one designs for IE anymore' (except apparently he does. go figure) arguments too.

They honestly don't care. I'm not kidding, they think that since my dad writes for IE (probably designed for IE7-8, 6 needs to be removed from the planet, it doesn't even render pngs properly [and I've said that]) he knows all that is wrong and apparently that's not a lot....

[hide=Random thought list of argument type things.]a) I have a restricted account on both of the computers with Internet access

B) Parents don't believe in upgrading internet browsers, so I'm stuck with IE6 and IE7.

c) One comp is a Win2000 (which IE8 doesn't support, so a 3rd party browser is needed)

d) other is WinXP. Don't use it much

e) Internet security is Norton Internet Security 2004 (firewall & AV)

f) I think we'd get Norton 2009 but it doesn't support Win2000

g) My main issue is the internet browser problem. They won't dl a new one and I can't without ruining my life.

h) How would you get them to dl a new browser?

i) I think this is connected to something my brother did a long time ago to the Win2000 (may have caused the one virus it's gotten in like 6 years) but why should I be punished for something I don't even know (what happened) + he's not allowed on the comp downstairs (Win2000) anymore

j) My brother and I have an XP which is not connected to the Internet. We both have admin accounts on that one.

k) I'd also like to be able to dl programs without waiting years for them to 'see if it's safe; install it; get it to work on restricted accounts'... I have enough judgement to not dl everything. And isn't that what Norton is for? (seriously, it took months to get them to dl GIMP not even kidding)

l) That could be worked out eventually, but the main issue is the Internet browser.

k) Then what is your account status on your family comp (if you have one... if you have your own, do others use it too? what sort of restrictions do you put on them?)

I put this on my facebook, I've got friends who are good with computers... And to support my position, somebody hacked my fb today [though they'll say, you don't need that anyway] and it doesn't render properly, it's beyond slow, half the time the pages don't even load.

Need to find a website that won't work that I need for something important... Is there a math related website with a lot of crazy stuff on the page?[/hide]

Mymaths has flash games, but you need a school login for it.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

I feel almost the same about my mom using IE. I can't get her to stop, she used it right through the security hole when even Microsoft said it was unsafe to use and 2 million computers were compromised in a matter of days. :wall:

C2b6gs7.png

Just install Mozille Firefox Portable Edition on a flash drive, mp3 player, or something that is yours... It doesn't leave a single bit of data on the hard drive, so what could they complain about?

Myself I had the same problem in 2006, I just downloaded Firefox and installed it without permission, my dad didn't like it at first but now he couldn't dream of going back to IE :P

The way he is with it you would think he expects you want him to use it as well....

You're a school student I'm guessing. Which means there will be, sooner or later, something you will need to do that you can't on IE6, then you ask if it could be installed so you can do it and hope he either realises how much you prefer it or he forgets about it so you can just keep on using it. Remember, if he does let you use another browser to be extra helpful so he will think it was the best idea 'he' has thought of in a while. ;)

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

That's true, I don't think that he's thinking that there's no problem with having two internet browsers... There are already things I can't do on IE6 and they make me use the other computer (like IE7 is so much better :roll: ) Plus for some reason there's all sorts of filter crap (due to Norton) on the 2000 (seriously, it won't let me go to http://www.careercruising.com or any job search site, or any site that sells weapons... or sites labelled as 'interactive/chat sites' which i believe facebook is one... but i can go to fb. so dumb.)

I feel almost the same about my mom using IE. I can't get her to stop, she used it right through the security hole when even Microsoft said it was unsafe to use and 2 million computers were compromised in a matter of days. :wall:

Same, then I showed her Safari. Problem solved (for me)

ib7rVm.png

Instead of bashing IE6/7, even if it does deserve it, try choosing one you want (I suggest Google Chrome) and then explain the benefits. Simply put, you want the computer's browser to run faster and be more intuitive. I'm not sure how you can argue against that.

If your fed up with restricted accounts, I would be, why don't you try getting your own computer? Maybe a laptop with XP?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Instead of bashing IE6/7, even if it does deserve it, try choosing one you want (I suggest Google Chrome) and then explain the benefits. Simply put, you want the computer's browser to run faster and be more intuitive. I'm not sure how you can argue against that.

If your fed up with restricted accounts, I would be, why don't you try getting your own computer? Maybe a laptop with XP?

Unless you can't physically access the internet then a technology blind person will see no difference between the latest alpha of opera and internet explorer 5(my middle school used it for their macs *sobs* it was horrible :cry: )

Also, normal response to "what browser do you use?"?

ME: What browser do you use?

Idiot(a.k.a. normal person): I use the internet, duh.

It's looking up... My mom can't check her e-mail on the 2000 anymore. (THANK YOU YAHOO FOR WHATEVER YOU DID!) So she was kinda mad about it and said she'd talk to my dad about it... With any luck, I'll get back on Friday to see FireFox.

I would buy a computer (they actually said I could use the wifi, though unless it's secured (which it's not) there's nothing they can do about it) but I'm lazy and don't have a job.