Tip.It Times: 21 June 2009

Mirror

Concerning "What it's Worth," I think the recommendations for the common man were really no help at all and some of the proposals put forward were rooted in VERY flawed premises.

First, as for better advice for the common player who wants to preserve the value of his or her money, it would be much better to invest in widely traded commodities that have prices that have already bottomed out. Because the prices have already hit bottom, when inflation occurs (which it inevitably will) the value of one's investment will most likely increase or at least not decrease in value. As in the real world economy, as more money is created, those who keep their savings in that form gradually lose money. That is why in the real world, gold is the hedge of choice against inflation. It is widely used and accepted and it's supply cannot be changed easily (percentage-wise). A perfect example of such a product in runescape, maple logs, was designated by the author of the article. Please do not give up on being rich and maintaining your current wealth. Invest in commodities and secure your future.

The proposal of instituting taxation to sop up the "excess" money in Runescape's economy almost made me want to puke. Governments throughout the world have introduced progressive tax systems and the more such systems follow the model put forward by Marx, the worse the economy becomes. A progressive tax, for that is what a tax based on higher rates for greater production/assets is, will most likely cause many high level players with a lot of money to just quit playing. I don't doubt the dedication of these players to the game, but for the tax system to take out enough "excess" money these players would be hit very hard - quite possibly hard enough to consider quitting.

A better way to manage inflation would be to develop a new medium of exchange. Since infinite amounts of gold can be obtained from monsters and alching, Runescape gold, like the fiat currencies of current governments, does not hold its value well over time. If Jagex would develop some medium of exchange with an exchange rate to gold that would fluctuate based on the change in values (denominated in gold) from the inception of the currency of a number of basic items this would be an excellent way to protect players from inflation. Unlike commodities which may or may not sell, this new currency could be readily traded at any bank, or perhaps even just at the GE, either way, the liquidity would be easy to maintain. Also since this currency would have a value that would rise with inflation, it would act as the perfect shelter from inflation for the common player, or anyone with extra gold.

Sorry this turned out so long. If anyone has any critiques please reply. I would be happy to elaborate further.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article: Historic Article: The Prayer Skill

Nice article, but I have two comments to make. :)

1. When writing a large number, it is usually either a number itself such as 1746487, or a number with commas such as 1,746,487. So I was just wondering why you write numbers like 1.746.487, it looks like an IP address. :P

2. "It eventually resurfaced several months after the release of Runescape 2 under the new name of Construction, which once again is a name that fits the thematics of the skill far better than the original."

Isn't this statement incorrect?

I thought Construction was released around 2 years after the release of RuneScape 2, not a few months after. :shock:

sina_j.png

Hacked on January 5, 2007 --> Lost: 56.4M, Santa Hat, Purple Partyhat, Green Partyhat, Christmas Cracker

people who get rich and do it legit like joob and I always get f'd over in the end.

Article: Historic Article: The Prayer Skill

Nice article, but I have two comments to make. :)

1. When writing a large number, it is usually either a number itself such as 1746487, or a number with commas such as 1,746,487. So I was just wondering why you write numbers like 1.746.487, it looks like an IP address. :P

In some countries, a period is used instead of comma to separate numbers and a comma where the decimal place is supposed to be. There is no right or wrong way, just the author's own preference and writing style.

2. "It eventually resurfaced several months after the release of Runescape 2 under the new name of Construction, which once again is a name that fits the thematics of the skill far better than the original."

Isn't this statement incorrect?

I thought Construction was released around 2 years after the release of RuneScape 2, not a few months after. :shock:

You are correct, in the sense that Construction came after "awhile" but to read several is how a reader understands the word. In this case, several would stand for a good amount. One could potentially substitute it for a few years to several months. I hope this makes sense.

Responses made in blue. I hope this makes sense.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

1. Ah I see, never knew that. Which nationality is the editor from?

2. Articles shouldn't be ambiguous though. ;) I've never seen an individual refer to 2 years (24 months) as "several months". :P

sina_j.png

Hacked on January 5, 2007 --> Lost: 56.4M, Santa Hat, Purple Partyhat, Green Partyhat, Christmas Cracker

people who get rich and do it legit like joob and I always get f'd over in the end.

One thing that many people don't realize/point out/forget to mention in many of their posts is that, despite the similarities, there is quite a difference between MERCHANT CLANS and PRICE MANIPULATION CLANS. Merchant clans observe the rise and fall of items, buying when they crash and selling when they get high.

Price Manipulation Clans on the other hand, do not observe the rise and fall of items; rather they create this rise and fall, by mass purchase of items to raise the demand (and the price), then dumping it into the Grand Exchange when they have made the price high. This also often ends up with the price of the item crashing far below it's original price.

As for price manipulation being against game rules...

The only reason it isn't technically against game rules is because of how easy it is to say that your merchanting instead of price manipulation. If you observe the way the GE works, you will notice several examples of things to deter price manipulation, such as the buying limit for some items.

If Jagex catches someone price manipulating, they could claim to be merchanting. Due to the "innocent until proven guilty" mentality that most modern countries run by, Jagex uses that as well; and there is almost no technical way for them to prove it; maybe the person is buying 100 dfs for something other then price manipulation...Maybe they want to go to bh or pvp worlds a lot with it? :roll:

Btw, I realize that the DFS probably isn't a real example. But w/e.

And yes, this probably is overkill.

I said that earlier in one of my posts.

There is a difference between merchanting and price manipulating. Both use the GE, and both try to make money, but there is a very subtle difference between them.

Merchants buy low and sell high, to earn money. It requires intelligence and skill in predicting the prices in the GE.

On the other hand, price manipulators work to manipulate prices for their own profit too. However, they don't use intelligence or skill, they use sheer numbers of people and money to manipulate prices.

That is why price manipulation is against the law but merchanting (buy low sell high-ing) isn't.

Dude... if you look at it that way, why not just say that fishing should be banned? It takes no intelligence, after all. What about mining? What about woodcutting? Unless you think that clicking on a willow tree for several hours is mentally challenging? Price manipulation may be bad, but thats not because it requires no intelligence, but because its annoying to other people. And theres no such things as "Merchanting" clans- after all, merchanting is a solo effort. Manipulation clans are sort of like these nonexistent "merchanting" clans because the generals and leader look at the graph for an item that looks like it will go up soon, and is also in demand but not too easily made. Then they tell everyone else to buy them so they get even more money than they usually do.

[hide=quelmotz]
If your in a merchant clan. I spit on your face. You make me sick. What are you going to do with your wealth smoking mills and goldmerch you greedy nerds?

What are you going to do, go be like every other GE manipulator, do nothing but buyable skills like herblore or cons or prayer? pfft, those capes mean nothing if the profit was made through what i see as illegal activity. You disguesting GE manipulators, you ruining the game for everyone else, people play the game to slay dragons, go on great adventures and make friends. Dont you see that? When is enough for you pigs?

There will always be people who love money, and I don't care if you hate them or whatever, you still don't have a right to criticise them.

Merchanting isn't a freaking illegal activity!!!!!!!!!

No, I'm not defending merchants, nor am I a merchant myself. Merchanting is basically buy low sell high. So if you buy two hundred pieces of land for $1000 each, and sell them for $1200 each, you ARE merchanting, so that's illegal? What the [bleep]? If so, many legitimate businessmen will be in jail for doing NOTHING wrong.

[/hide]

First off, name calling and spitting in people's faces may be excessive, but we do have a right to criticize merchants as much as we have a right to criticize anything else we feel strongly against.

Merchanting isn't an illegal activity. Okay, I can give you that one. The problem is we've confused our definition of what a merchant really is since the release of the GE. Since the GE, merchants have become obsolete for the most part. Today's "merchants" have evolved into more of investors, and it involves more than just a "buy low - sell high" strategy as you are stating.

Now, investors are legal. Technically speaking, price manipulation itself can be considered legal. If I see a greater demand in the market for yew logs, and I start cutting yews, eventually my stock hitting the market is going to stabilize the price of yews, even lower them. That can be considered price manipulation. When we are talking about merchants, and we are talking about price manipulators, we are talking about something else.

There is another form of price manipulation that occurs that IS illegal. When the actions are both disrupting the flow of supply and demand, AND disrupting the value of a product, that is illegal. If the legitimate businessman you speak of began using the same practices that merchant clans are, you would see them fined, in jail, or both. The United States has several incidents very similar, one of which even managed to destroy the reputation of a President.

[hide=hihihi727]

You could argue that "slaying dragons" is ruining the game for everyone else because you are making it more crowded, and that pvping is also ruining the game because you are profiting off other people losing items. How the heck am i a "greedy nerd because i'm in a merch clan???? Because i wanted something to do back when i was f2p and the game was getting boring? Is wanting some extra cash greedy/nerdy? Face it, clan manipulating isn't as "disgusting" as you say, stop taking everything so seriously.
[/hide]

You're comparing price abuse to actual aspects of the game. Both the "dragon slayer" and pvping scenario you present involve competition, which is healthy both for the game, and the game's economy. The sole purpose of a "manipulating clan" is to ELIMINATE competition through cooperation to corner the market. It abuses the intent of the trade system.

Individually, it disrupts players from wishing to make personal trades to get their needed items in the game. On a macro level, the trends of many prices look as if they are on a roller coaster, and the market will eventually lose stability if merchant clans continue to increase their activity. If we do wind up with stricter price gaps, or even set prices, you will be the one to blame.

There is a difference between wanting some extra cash and pure greed. How much is enough money? 100M? 1000M? Maxed cash? Six piles of maxed cash?

So whats the difference between wanting some extra cash and "pure greed" than?

Merchanting clans aren't part of some RS conspiracy here. We're simply looking at the generic America-esque, Capitalist market with something called Lassez-Faire. A brisk research of Capitalism throughout the 1990s into the present, as well as Laissez-Faire, will lead most of you to a proverbial Holy Grail of information, much of which will render Merchanting clans to nothing more than historical rip-offs of pre-existing market strategies. Merchant clans are not a problem, fact. They are simply the by-product of a historically successful method of marketing, fact. Rather than try to figure how merchant clans will eventually become illegal, the sensible thing to do, would be to research competitive marketing strategies, if you find it becomes too much of a problem.

Merchanting clans aren't part of some RS conspiracy here. We're simply looking at the generic America-esque, Capitalist market with something called Lassez-Faire. A brisk research of Capitalism throughout the 1990s into the present, as well as Laissez-Faire, will lead most of you to a proverbial Holy Grail of information, much of which will render Merchanting clans to nothing more than historical rip-offs of pre-existing market strategies. Merchant clans are not a problem, fact. They are simply the by-product of a historically successful method of marketing, fact. Rather than try to figure how merchant clans will eventually become illegal, the sensible thing to do, would be to research competitive marketing strategies, if you find it becomes too much of a problem.

The irony is, whenever people who oppose price manipulation bring up history or any real-world comparisons, we're told that we are not allowed to compare the real world to a video game, and that we are just taking this game way too seriously. So we start from the 90s? dot-com bubble and burst, Enron scandals, and hedge funds turning a housing problem into a global recession. If you are willing to look back any further you will see that the America-esque, capitalist market has laws prohibiting the same practices, because it disrupts supply and demand as well as competition.

rssig2.png

The irony is, whenever people who oppose price manipulation bring up history or any real-world comparisons, we're told that we are not allowed to compare the real world to a video game, and that we are just taking this game way too seriously. So we start from the 90s? dot-com bubble and burst, Enron scandals, and hedge funds turning a housing problem into a global recession. If you are willing to look back any further you will see that the America-esque, capitalist market has laws prohibiting the same practices, because it disrupts supply and demand as well as competition.

Hah, got me there, I meant to start the general search beginning in the 1900s, rather 1990. You do bring up perfectly valid points, though, I'll pry a bit deeper here. Real people will dictate a society which closely fits their own, game or not. There are real people behind all those skills, and usernames, which, as stated, means that the basic economy will tend to conform to an existing one, rather than creating something unique. Thus, the statement which dictates we cannot compare RS to reality, is nigh. Furthermore, while I do wish to place the basis of my argument around the 1900s, one can argue that Runescape takes place in a medieval era, in which such a market would probably exist. Similarly, with constraints on the way we transfer wealth, rural forms of trade, including bartering, and small-business sales, are essentially rendered unavailable, which strains the basic economy. In terms of merchant clans, it's a completely valid method of marketing, again. I don't think I could call what they're doing a "monopoly," nor would any merchant clan actions fall under the jurisdiction of the Sherman Act. Wal-mart would surely have been cracked down on by now if that were the case. Additionally, the Sherman Act only accounts for actions after 1890, If I'm to be wrong regarding the above statements, in which any activities before hand would have surely fallen within the timeframe, and current economic situation Runescape is in. Furthermore, no laws are in effect controlling general trade, there is no state interfering, this is not a command economy, communism is similarly out of the question. Players are free to do what they see fit, which is the basis of Capitalism, and there is no one to interfere with their activities, if not even a bit, which is the basis of Laissez-Faire. Feel free to criticize me some more.

Hah, got me there, I meant to start the general search beginning in the 1900s, rather 1990. You do bring up perfectly valid points, though, I'll pry a bit deeper here. Real people will dictate a society which closely fits their own, game or not. There are real people behind all those skills, and usernames, which, as stated, means that the basic economy will tend to conform to an existing one, rather than creating something unique. Thus, the statement which dictates we cannot compare RS to reality, is nigh. Furthermore, while I do wish to place the basis of my argument around the 1900s, one can argue that Runescape takes place in a medieval era, in which such a market would probably exist. Similarly, with constraints on the way we transfer wealth, rural forms of trade, including bartering, and small-business sales, are essentially rendered unavailable, which strains the basic economy. In terms of merchant clans, it's a completely valid method of marketing, again. I don't think I could call what they're doing a "monopoly," nor would any merchant clan actions fall under the jurisdiction of the Sherman Act. Wal-mart would surely have been cracked down on by now if that were the case. Additionally, the Sherman Act only accounts for actions after 1890, If I'm to be wrong regarding the above statements, in which any activities before hand would have surely fallen within the timeframe, and current economic situation Runescape is in. Furthermore, no laws are in effect controlling general trade, there is no state interfering, this is not a command economy, communism is similarly out of the question. Players are free to do what they see fit, which is the basis of Capitalism, and there is no one to interfere with their activities, if not even a bit, which is the basis of Laissez-Faire. Feel free to criticize me some more.

First off, it's good to finally see a civilized discussion pertaining to this matter. You give knowledgeable, valid points to your argument as well. If for nothing else, we can debate this topic simply for the interesting parallels in the game.

There are instances of price manipulation that are similar to the models merchant clans use in the game that date prior to the Sherman Act. Off the top of my head, the Fisk/Gould gold scandal in the 1860s would probably be one of the most famous, as it not only crashed the price of gold, but managed to tarnish the reputation of a President.

While I am in favor of capitalism, my definition is different from yours. In its simplest form, capitalism means private businesses operate trade instead of governments. It doesn't mean a lawless economy. The United States has had to learn this over the years. Having laws to promote fair trading practices doesn't constitute socialism. It's more like the referees in a football game. They're just there to make sure everybody is playing fair.

Capitalism works through competition, sellers and buyers competing with each other. The ideal outcome is you have enough competing sellers to balance out the demand, which creates a perfect competition market. When someone steps in to corner the market, they disrupt that flow of supply and demand. When you can convince a few of your competitors to join in with you and buy out a product, it further eliminates competition amongst the sellers. I tend to think of merchant clans as more of a collusion. The manipulation can disrupt the natural supply and demand, and can destabilize the market. Here's a graph of the prices of Magic Seeds:

2679a_graphimg2.gif?id=5316&scale=2

The [bleep]e is clear, and the price of the seeds shot well above it's true value. I don't know who would pay 300k+ for magic seeds. Now, if you happened to be holding Magic Seeds prior to this [bleep]e, then it would've made you a good profit, but if you noticed the increase in price later, there isn't much you can do to meet the artificial "demand" created as they are a difficult item to gather. Also, notice how long it took to balance out prices afterwards. This graph isn't unique to the situation either.

The point I'm trying to make is the [bleep]e in price isn't the result of capitalism. Prior to the GE, you rarely saw prices move like this, save for maybe the rares market. So why didn't we see huge shifts in prices like this before when we didn't even have trade caps? Short answer, because we weren't all trading on the GE. The GE system has made it easy for manipulation to occur, because all trades are moving within one machine. In the real world, price manipulation of this magnitude would result in legal penalties, because it could cause a crisis and a panic selloff. However, we tend to look at it on RS and go, "Well, it's just a game. Nobody's getting hurt."

I also understand though how difficult it would be to stop price manipulation without rewriting the economic system for RS. There was a poster on another thread I made that stated a very good point. He said that because price manipulators are so imbedded into the economy now, getting rid of them would be like ripping out the foundation of your house to get at an annoying bush.

I still think it is a problem in the game, and I think something could be done without the "government" further restricting trade, or arbitrarily handing out bans. I think you could open up trade by creating competition against the GE itself, or they will have to somehow fix the mechanics of the GE.

I would enjoy debating with you further on this. I'm keen to what your response may be.

rssig2.png

Indeed, rather a form of "eCaptialism" taking place, the graphs do amount to something of a pre-industrialized exploitative tactic. In which case, I find that the merchant clans cannot be the ones to bear the burden of blame. As I've stated in another topic, the Grand Exchange is a definitive structure, with it's own functions, as well as limitations. Merchant clans merely take advantage of these limitations, and apply existent economic functions to an apparently flawed design. In which case, it dawns that a combination of factors account for the majority of occurrence in terms of the stated arguments, which would be implicative of not only faulty planning on account of Jagex, but also failure in the endeavor to explicate appropriate measures of counteracting the merchant clans, as well as the general problems brought about by the merchants clans themselves. Similarly, as you've stated before, how does one remove an image engraved into wood, without first damaging the wood itself? Merchant clans have carved, through their own actions, a distinct niche in the basis of game play, and, as a man once said, a mind stretched to new lengths will never return to it's own dimensions. That being said, a game, being a product of the mind, can similarly follow a parallel degree of function.

What we find, then, is that the damage already done is much like cancer, permanent. This carcinoma, very much entwined in our very game play, is a law now, more than a theory. What has to be done, then, is much like what must be done with cancer, remove as much as possible, and hope for an answer in the distant future. Look beyond what's been done, and focus on a cure, rather than a patch. This is the dilemma everyone seems to run into, while it's important not to linger in the past, or future, it's similarly important not to wander too far in the present, as not to lose sight of the horizon. And as for people who are complaining about what's been done, forget it. As F.T. Marinetti said, history is the process by which the dead bury the living, and it'll become much like that if people continue to linger upon what's been done. So, then, let's discuss further: What can be done, rather than what should be done, or what has been done.

Darkblade, I've divided my response up into hide tags to hopefully prevent a wall of text.

[hide=Who's really to blame?]

In which case, I find that the merchant clans cannot be the ones to bear the burden of blame. As I've stated in another topic, the Grand Exchange is a definitive structure, with it's own functions, as well as limitations. Merchant clans merely take advantage of these limitations, and apply existent economic functions to an apparently flawed design. In which case, it dawns that a combination of factors account for the majority of occurrence in terms of the stated arguments, which would be implicative of not only faulty planning on account of Jagex, but also failure in the endeavor to explicate appropriate measures of counteracting the merchant clans, as well as the general problems brought about by the merchants clans themselves.

If a deranged man climbs the clocktower and shoots a bunch of people, then do you blame the man holding the rifle, the gun dealer who put the rifle in his hands, or the gun laws that allowed the dealer to sell the rifle? While it may be worth inspecting the system to see if the incident can be avoided in the future, it doesn't mean those who pull the trigger are no longer responsible for their actions. We are in agreement that merchant clans are not the root of the problem, but only a symptom. Banning players will solve little as it does nothing to prevent new players from doing the same thing. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that what they are doing is excused. There is blame to go around, but to be fair the people at Jagex are game developers, not accountants or legislators.[/hide]

[hide=some history]

This is the dilemma everyone seems to run into, while it's important not to linger in the past, or future, it's similarly important not to wander too far in the present, as not to lose sight of the horizon.

I'm not sure what your metaphor was meant to represent here. Are you saying that we shouldn't be obsessing over the problems instead of looking for solutions? If so, I agree, but it's been an uphill battle to try and convince people there is a problem. Are you saying that we must be mindful of consequences? If so, then I also agree. Since I'm a fan of history, humor me while I tell this tale.

About three years ago, Jagex decided to change the rune essence market by introducing Pure Essence. Jagex figured it would remove a large part of the RWT markets, but they didn't expect the RWTers to risk buying membership accounts. What the Pure Essence updates really did was hurt the relationship between P2P and F2P markets. It was like severing all foreign trade because of a small criminal ring. What happened instead was the F2P bots began flooding woodcutting areas as it was the only viable business left. Also, RWTers did start buying membership, only with stolen credit cards. This became an even bigger problem for Jagex than the rune essence problem was. As Mod Hobagoly stated:

The majority of bots that we ban from members have been paid for with stolen credit card numbers. Such accounts don't earn us money, they cost us money in bank refund charges - money that could be better spent on creating new content for our players; money that could help us increase the level of support our players receive. Also, in the longer-term, if we had continued to experience these problems with account fraud, then it could have led to us no longer being able to accept credit card payments from legitimate players.

This prompted Jagex to enforce the RWT updates, including trade caps and removing old-style wildy pking. The actions Jagex took to protect their game from outside harm is now beginning to eat the game from the inside out. Two new factors are running the game today: 26k tricking, and price manipulation. The solutions of yesterday become the problems of today.[/hide]

[hide=What can we do?]

What can be done, rather than what should be done, or what has been done.

That's the kajillion dollar question, isn't it? What can we do about it? The truth is, in any free market society, you will always have a risk of some price manipulation, and that is not always 100% bad either. What has to be done is to limit the problem, so that we don't see huge price [bleep]es and crashes, and not on such a rampant scale either. We also don't want to create a situation that is worse for everybody. We need to outline what our goals are:

1. We don't want to return the problem of RWT

2. We want to fix the system to reduce the widespread abuse

3. We don't want to castrate the entire community, and leave everybody worse off

While I don't think set-in-stone prices would result in the demise of Runescape as some people have suggested, it would take away some of our freedoms in the game similar to how the RWT updates did. In other words, it would sap a little more "fun" out of the game. Lifting trade caps runs the risk of a rise in RWT activity, but I think there is some wiggle room here. Based on my Quest Points, I'm allowed a 60k gap every 15 minutes. Instead, why not make it 250k an hour? It would equal roughly the same amount, but would allow greater freedom for bulk trades.

I made a thread a couple of weeks ago suggesting to limit the GE to a handful of worlds. Of course, that idea attracted flamers to me like flies to honey, and it's not hard to understand why. The GE has made trading sooooooooo convenient, but unfortunately that's where the root of the problem lies. If all trading (aside from junk trading) is occurring on the GE, then it's safe to say that all trades are vulnerable to manipulation. How you beat price manipulators is by flooding competition against them. In order for it to succeed in Runescape, there has to be a new market that competes against the GE. If we aren't going to limit trades on the GE, then we need enough incentives to draw people away from the GE. If more trades are taking place individually than on the GE, it will minimize the influence the price manipulators have over the entire economy. It's not to say that it would completely eradicate price manipulation from the game. What it would do is increase their risk, and require a lot more effort to try and manipulate prices.

Anyways, this is a condensed version of some ideas that I had. It's late and this is an insomnia-driven reply. I'm interested in any ideas you may have.[/hide]

rssig2.png

Isnt there something to say for the current masses of inflation?

Inflation is basicly what the Merchant Clans take advantage of, and with the update of dropping millions upon millions at a time on PVP worlds...

PVP, in my opinion, should be brought back down to something that costs money to do (on average), rather then earns you money...

It, especially since the replacement of boss and minigame drops, has been the biggest catalyst for inflation...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Jp, I must say, that response covered everything to a tee. Cutting the head off a fluke worm only results in... another fluke worm. So, obviously we need to stop treating the problem like a snake, and more like a fluke worm, if that makes any sense to you. So, rather than create a transverse cut, like we've been doing thus far, a change in dissection, something similar to a sagittal cut, may be more effective. (Hopefully that analogy will make sense as well?)

Indeed a problem today is a lack of competition in order to balance the the tides, if you will, caused by the actions of the merchant clans. Competition, being the primary tool used in the combat of monopolies. The problem being, the largest competition before the grand exchange, and trade caps, was the person standing next to you, vying for the same profits as you, and probably the next five to ten people around you. That being said, the days of RWT were probably the most vibrant days of Runescape in a way. I can't say, on the other hand, I've actually come up with any viable methods of competition, which based on the said outline of goals, are going to keep us on track. As you stated, freedoms would probably be taken away at this rate, such as an item-purchase limit. Actually, most of the solutions that've popped into my head are in dire resemblance to something like communism. While Jagex may not be legislators, something amounting to the most basic of laws would probably garner a massive blow to the exploitative communities of players.

I'll get back to this when I can generate some solutions that aren't going to have people working in the eUSSR.