Tip.It Times: 21 June 2009

Mirror

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

P.S. Also if you notice any kind of grammar/spelling mistakes, please PM me instead of posting on here. Thanks!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the final segment in the fictional trilogy, and I learned quite a bit about the old RS when working with the historical article.

Yay.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

So my advise to the common man who just wants a bit of stability is simple: never buy for more, or sell for less than you want to, and if the price range is out of yours, move on to the next item.

Well said. ::'

I liked the historical article. I never realized how painfully hard it was to train prayer to level 99 in Runescape Classic. Thank Guthix for construction. ;)

Erm and at the end of the article it says: "Achieving level 99 and the quest cape with its unique angel wings emote"

Shouldn't it say prayer cape?

^ Ah you fixed it now.

Seriously do we have to have such lame DYK's? most of the things in the dyk's are common knowledge.

TS wrote a good article as per usual, if we had articles up to his standard every week it would be a much better times.

18k7pu.jpg

The Iron never lies to you. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Some ok reads this week, i already knew the DYK, but it seems alot of people don't, as it was introduced in the 'other news' section of an update i think, its great for saving bank space taken up by various dose potions.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Seriously do we have to have such lame DYK's? most of the things in the dyk's are common knowledge.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I think you can understand that it is hard to find something that nobody knows.

If you ever come up with something, we would love to hear it :)

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

I'm sorry to hear that, but I think you can understand that it is hard to find something that nobody knows.

If you ever come up with something, we would love to hear it :)

Actually, he does come up with good ones... They dont get credited to his name though... Check the clan he is in :P

We (TSA) have been providing DYK's for well over a year now, and most have been up to par with the two rules I set for them;

- They must not be common knowledge

- They must have a use for Runescape players (so no historical ones)

I think he could have went more in depth about the evils of merching clans, but I guess he wanted to be "neutral".

Both good reads though (I don't read fictional articles).

I could have done that yes, but you are right when I wanted to stay neutral... I will explain;

Merchant clans basicly get the money that the common man wants to pay "too much" for his items... If the price of Yew Logs go up slightly while you still needed them, you might pay more for them -> those extra few GP per Yew Log end up in the pockets of price manipulators...

The reason I stayed neutral on this is simple... The Merchant Clans are in a way a counterweight to inflation, as they get to keep some of the extra GP that flows into the economy every day... Skimming it right off the top of most price peaks...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Alarmingly I'm of the view that the fictional articles are rapidly becoming better reads than the factual ones.

Some people have complained recently of the DYK section being too obvious, but then again I can't help thinking the same of many of the factual articles...

Tolerable, but the gold star this week goes to our fiction writer! :-) bravo. =D>

Well it's very difficult to come up with DYKs... it'd be easier for the average Runescape population, but a lot of the people on the forums have a good knowledge of Runescape so simpler things that a normal player might have missed aren't missed by us, so the DYKs have to be really unknown...

Great articles this week, I'm hoping there's a bit more discussion on the articles than the DYK unlike last week :lol:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I could have done that yes, but you are right when I wanted to stay neutral... I will explain;

Merchant clans basicly get the money that the common man wants to pay "too much" for his items... If the price of Yew Logs go up slightly while you still needed them, you might pay more for them -> those extra few GP per Yew Log end up in the pockets of price manipulators...

The reason I stayed neutral on this is simple... The Merchant Clans are in a way a counterweight to inflation, as they get to keep some of the extra GP that flows into the economy every day... Skimming it right off the top of most price peaks...

You also left enough open for discussion, and pointed out that there are more reasons for price fluctuations than merchant clans alone. I commend you for that.

I disagree though that MCs counter inflation. Inflation is countered by removing gp from the economy. In this instance, it's merely being transferred from one player to another, leaving the money still in play. Also, MCs who price manipulate aren't reacting to [bleep]es in demands, they are creating artificial demands by restricting supply. Essentially, they are the ones responsible for the "price peaks" instead of the other way around. Putting it simply, price manipulators are creating an invisible tax on an item for their own nefarious gains.

rssig2.png

The article on the Prayer skill was quite interesting, I had never really thought how hard it would have been to train prayer in classic and was unaware that there were only big bones and regular bones at one point. Another great read :thumbup:

It has already been said, but please change "viles" to vials in the DYK section.

EDIT: thanks!

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Really great times. I loved the prayer article.. grah it really buged me, only cause it made me get frustrated with myself! when did i start runescape! the million dollar question, i would love to find out! :D I dont remember old prayers and i dont remember old POH in fally. so im guesing maybe i started in mid or even late 2002?

Can somoene help me, i have the distant memories of turotrial island in runescape classic.. i think the tutorial was different to the rs2 tutorial, i believe part of the rsc tutorial island was "wildy like" and there was like a "wildy" tutor teaching you about death and wildy and how dangerous it was.. can anyone confirm this? it was almost 7 years ago, its been a bit of a blur, grahh.. I think at the end of the tutorial you get on a boat to the main land... grahh (memory failing)

The prayer article was really well written, also would have been good to add about the (x) feature for altar. it didnt detract, im just saying would just have further reinforced the point of how easy it is these days if you "you are an uber 26ker,,,oops i mean pker"

As for the economic article, I didnt enjoy it. I know it is an important issue, but I play Runscape to escape the real world of economics and business. To be honest back in 2008 I was a massive merchant, I dont merchant anymore, so ill tell you what i did. Everyday, I would wake up before uni/work, buy like 20-30 guthan helms, plates,legs,spears. I would then make them into "sets" and I would flip 5-10m a day for 5mins of GE work. In around september last year I decided to "quit" and i had like a 600m drop party. Anyways, I stoped for 3months, and started back up again in 2009. I dont touch merchanting now. I just cant be bothered, id rather just pretend it is not part of the game in my eyes, and i just try to make my money from slaying, my kingdom, and my daily battlestaffs.

So when I read articles like this, i read it with far less enthusiasm and interest then i would have say 2008. This will seem hiporitical comming from someone that mas merchanted so much in the passed, by.. grahh, i not sure if i can get the words out... I just dont care really. The game is much more interesting training your skills up and not having to worry about making more and more and more moneys. All I been doing this year has been training my slayer level. Im going to be 99 in about 4-5 days, and you know what 2009 has been the best year for me. Sure I dont have partyhats like i used to. Sure I cant afford to slay in the best gear. Sure im probably gona have to RC or kill green dragons if i wanna get 99summon. But at the end of the day, having "unlimited" money actualy makes the game less fun. It is fun having limitations and not being able to do things in the game cause your too poor. It gives you something to work towards.

If your in a merchant clan. I spit on your face. You make me sick. What are you going to do with your wealth smoking mills and goldmerch you greedy nerds?

What are you going to do, go be like every other GE manipulator, do nothing but buyable skills like herblore or cons or prayer? pfft, those capes mean nothing if the profit was made through what i see as illegal activity. You disguesting GE manipulators, you ruining the game for everyone else, people play the game to slay dragons, go on great adventures and make friends. Dont you see that? When is enough for you pigs?

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

Really great times. I loved the prayer article.. grah it really buged me, only cause it made me get frustrated with myself! when did i start runescape! the million dollar question, i would love to find out! :D I dont remember old prayers and i dont remember old POH in fally. so im guesing maybe i started in mid or even late 2002?

Can somoene help me, i have the distant memories of turotrial island in runescape classic.. i think the tutorial was different to the rs2 tutorial, i believe part of the rsc tutorial island was "wildy like" and there was like a "wildy" tutor teaching you about death and wildy and how dangerous it was.. can anyone confirm this? it was almost 7 years ago, its been a bit of a blur, grahh.. I think at the end of the tutorial you get on a boat to the main land... grahh (memory failing)

The prayer article was really well written, also would have been good to add about the (x) feature for altar. it didnt detract, im just saying would just have further reinforced the point of how easy it is these days if you "you are an uber 26ker,,,oops i mean pker"

As for the economic article, I didnt enjoy it. I know it is an important issue, but I play Runscape to escape the real world of economics and business. To be honest back in 2008 I was a massive merchant, I dont merchant anymore, so ill tell you what i did. Everyday, I would wake up before uni/work, buy like 20-30 guthan helms, plates,legs,spears. I would then make them into "sets" and I would flip 5-10m a day for 5mins of GE work. In around september last year I decided to "quit" and i had like a 600m drop party. Anyways, I stoped for 3months, and started back up again in 2009. I dont touch merchanting now. I just cant be bothered, id rather just pretend it is not part of the game in my eyes, and i just try to make my money from slaying, my kingdom, and my daily battlestaffs.

So when I read articles like this, i read it with far less enthusiasm and interest then i would have say 2008. This will seem hiporitical comming from someone that mas merchanted so much in the passed, by.. grahh, i not sure if i can get the words out... I just dont care really. The game is much more interesting training your skills up and not having to worry about making more and more and more moneys. All I been doing this year has been training my slayer level. Im going to be 99 in about 4-5 days, and you know what 2009 has been the best year for me. Sure I dont have partyhats like i used to. Sure I cant afford to slay in the best gear. Sure im probably gona have to RC or kill green dragons if i wanna get 99summon. But at the end of the day, having "unlimited" money actualy makes the game less fun. It is fun having limitations and not being able to do things in the game cause your too poor. It gives you something to work towards.

If your in a merchant clan. I spit on your face. You make me sick. What are you going to do with your wealth smoking mills and goldmerch you greedy nerds?

What are you going to do, go be like every other GE manipulator, do nothing but buyable skills like herblore or cons or prayer? pfft, those capes mean nothing if the profit was made through what i see as illegal activity. You disguesting GE manipulators, you ruining the game for everyone else, people play the game to slay dragons, go on great adventures and make friends. Dont you see that? When is enough for you pigs?

I'd like to see you tell that to the "you" of last year....

What most people don't realize is that being invincible gets boring really quickly. That might seem a bit random...But, unlimited supply of money for instance. Quickly get all buyable 99s, pk on f2p in full dragon constantly or constantly take full pvp armour to pvp. Would be fun for a little big, but it wouldn't be a challenge and would get boring quickly.

Sorry if that made no sense >_>

Btw, 3rd paragraph, I think it should be "fussing" not "fusing." 90% sure. Also, later in that paragraph it said construction came out several MONTHS after RS2. Should be a couple years I think. (Economic article.)

Other then that, it was a very good article. Although, I don't like how "unbiased" these articles are, lol. Articles that say things like "merchant clans are ruining RS" and provide good, well studied arguments to support their claims provide much more entertaining discussions then general articles everyone can agree with. (Economic article again.)

Btw, sorry if that sounds negative. I really am a fan of the times and I'm just trying to provide constructive criticism. :oops:

Oh, I didn't say anything about the prayer article. Well written, very informative. Might I request more historical articles telling us what RSC was like?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Good articels as usual ::'

Best did you know ever, I hate combining potions, I always accidentally drink them #-o

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I liked all of this weeks articles!

First: Very interesting. I for one am concerned about the economy of runescape, because it lacks the biggest drains on currency a population should have (ex: Housing, Food, Taxes, TERTIARY INDUSTRY!) so I am glad to see more facts. Merching clans... I dunno. They don't really exist in the real world (stock fraud anyone) so I'm not really sure what effect they have. However, I don't really approve of what is basically a monopoly over one item.

Second: Also very interesting. I didn't know about no notes, that must have been hard. Also, when were the camelot prayers added? I knew about useless skills, but I'd like to hear more about them.

Third: Oh my god. Congratulations FoodFight13 on this amazing article. In today's world, a lot is discussed over weapons and rights and also the power of a mob. I think this is a prime example. In a growing Gielinor, with growing concern over conflicts, with Misthlain being pressed from the east, and turmoil rising in the desert, we tend to forget about the residents. Despite being NPCs, fictional articles like these bring them to life. This article really showed how people can be incited to do anything, if following a crowd, and often, the ones fueling the fire don't like the end result. Also, it was a pretty good connection between the different cities in Misthlain and even Ardougne!