Is It Bad If I Do This?

Maze

Okay, I'll be buying The Elder Scrolls Morrowind soon, but I want to know if it will run smoothly on my PC.

Is it okay if I download a torrent of the game just to see if it runs on my computer well? I won't play on it for even ten minutes, I'll uninstall it once I know it will run well.

It's illegal no matter what, but honestly, if you're asking people on a forum it seems like your answer's already pretty clear in front of you. No, it is not ok, but does it matter? Probably not. And most modern computers can run Morrowind as far as I know, unless you meant Oblivion, which is quite a bit heavier on your computer's resources.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

You're not going to get into legal trouble, and there's no moral reason not to if you're just going to buy the game anyway. Or you could just go to CanYouRunIt.com and save yourself the trouble.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

You're not going to get into legal trouble, and there's no moral reason not to if you're just going to buy the game anyway. Or you could just go to CanYouRunIt.com and save yourself the trouble.

It's not on the list.

It's not on the list.

Then go ahead with your idea I guess.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

[hide=Morrowind Specs]System requirements Windows ME/98 - 128 MB RAM

Windows XP/2000 - 256 MB RAM, 500 MHz Intel Pentium III, Celeron, AMD Athlon or better processor, 8x CD/DVD-ROM Drive, 1 GB free hard disk space, DirectX 8.1 (included), 32 MB Direct3D compatible video card with 32-bit color support, DirectX 8.1 compatible driver, and Hardware Transform & Lighting support, DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card.[/hide]

Does your computer match/beat them?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

If you go through the idea of Torrenting it may as well just not buy it :/. At least, that's what I do.

Anyways no one really cares. However I'm going to say that if you already are hung up on if you should or not, just don't do it and save yourself the moral dilemma.

If you go through the idea of Torrenting it may as well just not buy it :/. At least, that's what I do.

That's pretty much what I would say. It doesn't matter how long you "keep" the torrented game, illegal is illegal. If you go through the trouble of downloading you might as well keep it.

p2gq.jpg

It's still copyright infringement, no matter how long you keep it or for what reason. So you have to decide whether you believe that is moral or not.

Now this game specifically, first I must say it is my second favourite game of all time (behind Tetris). I also must say that I didn't buy it at first either, so I spent hundreds of hours playing it illegally. But I did end up buying it much later, just because I wanted to support them for making an awesome game.

Also the chances of your computer not running it are small.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Thats ok if you torrent it.

In fact I heard a study was done on people who torrent/download music download it frist then buy the song later...Which dosent make much sense to me but yeah...Thats essentaily what your doing.

Downloading from a file share website isent as bad as uploading.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I thought people were smarter than this. :wall:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

IIRC there was a loophole in the laws found a while ago, not sure if this has been fixed up though. It isn't illegal to download any material, yet the moment you start uploading it, it becomes illegal. Or something along those lines, I may be wrong.

Anyways, what I usually do is torrent a game for a singleplayer testrun or just to play, then if I like the game I usually end up buying it to support devs and indie companies aswell as for the multiplayer.

Either way torrenting is illegal because not only are you downloading copyrighted material, using P2P, you are also illegally redistributing the product you are downloading. Although, how often do you see people on the news that have been arrested for torrenting? Not often.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

IIRC there was a loophole in the laws found a while ago, not sure if this has been fixed up though. It isn't illegal to download any material, yet the moment you start uploading it, it becomes illegal. Or something along those lines, I may be wrong.

Anyways, what I usually do is torrent a game for a singleplayer testrun or just to play, then if I like the game I usually end up buying it to support devs and indie companies aswell as for the multiplayer.

Either way torrenting is illegal because not only are you downloading copyrighted material, using P2P, you are also illegally redistributing the product you are downloading. Although, how often do you see people on the news that have been arrested for torrenting? Not often.

In Canada I believe it is downloading = ok, uploading = bad (not that anything bad will happen to you either way). Thing is with bitcomet, I notice that is dl's and uploads at the same time.

Just don't be stupid and download a marked torrent. I know bethesda sent out some marked Oblivion torrents a few years back and there was some commotion. I'll be surprised if you can even find it in stores though, it's kinda old

yes.png

Depends on the country's laws. Many people spread that misinformation in relation to the US, where it is not true. When you are downloading something you are making a copy of copyrighted material, so it is still copyright infringement. In other countries it may be legal, but a post on an internet forum isn't a place to get that information.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Not illegal here. Then again Canadians are protected by the federal court.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1027_3-5182641.html

Uploading / downloading doesn't matter, as long as it's for personal use.

Oh and I've actually been in an RCMP forum (not online) where this was discussed. The officer basically said they cannot stop people from having pirated products, that's why they do not waste their energy going after consumers. The producers however are penalized (stores that sell pirated CDs/DVDs, etc).

After some talk with other mods and admins, I have to lock this thread.

The discussion of news and other such things are acceptable, but please do not admit to or discuss the details of actually downloading something illegal on the forums.

I suggest using a site like http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest to test if you can run (and how well you can run) a game.

Locked.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!