Dragon Age: Origins

Nero

I'm debating whether to get this or not. I want a fun RPG for the 360 and Oblivion isn't really cutting it. I'm still gonna get FF13, but I really need to add more to my collection other than shooters and sandboxes.

Mass Effect 1/2, Fallout 3.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get the Mass Effects eventually. I beat Fallout 3 and that's not something I think I could replay. Although I might get the new Fallout coming out. What about Dragon Age though? Is it better than the Mass Effects or no?

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get the Mass Effects eventually. I beat Fallout 3 and that's not something I think I could replay. Although I might get the new Fallout coming out. What about Dragon Age though? Is it better than the Mass Effects or no?

I personally think not, Mass Effect is to me easier to get into and offers more, but hey that's just me.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Hahaha. For some reason I cannot romance Leliana. I have 100% approval and no anything.

I think you got friend zoned :P

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest complaint is the combat system (ps3). It gets repetitive, feels like hack'n'slash and has little to no strategy in it.

10-15h of playing, two background stories and 15% world explored so I don't know if it gets better towards the end.

Best thing about the game is the talking/ story. The background stories could've been longer (obviously, that'd mean the game was longer/ deeper/ more replay value)

Definitely worth the 40, going to spend 100s of hours easily.

I think that is one of the problems with buying it on a console and not PC. With a PC, it is much easier to quick save seconds before a battle and try different strategies and micromanage your party.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Re downloaded it yesterday, after getting a craving to play it again. I don't want to play as a human fighter this time however, as I want a different back story. I might try going for an Elf ranger so i can pick locks myself and not need leilianna.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Awakening is awesome :thumbup: too bad my warden commander armor can't be carried over (I liked it), only items in your character's inventory plus gold (and RtO stuff I think).

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I'm trying to get Awakenings now. Liked Origins a lot, played the entire story twice, doing all side quests, including the DLC (once as a dwarven commoner, once as a dalish elf, but both were dual-weapon masters, so I should play again, maxing ranging, 2handed weapon or weapon+shield). There are still some achievements I'd like to have, such as all possible endings, and all romances.

Twiley, if you can transfer the items in your inventory, wouldn't it be possible it place your Warden armour in your inventory and transfer it? I'm glad I can transfer my gold, I had over 700g on my elf, even after buying lots of armour, weapons and crafting materials.

qnn23r.jpg

angel2w.gifmaursangeli.gifCredits to Littleboy for the signature.

Loving the game so far but I do hope Bioware patches the game soon, it's really buggy. Some doors don't open (you get stuck), floating daggers, missing sound effects etc.

vv05c.png

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I've never played any of Bioware's RPGs, but I just ordered Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening on amazon. I've heard both games are awesome, and I'm really excited to try dragon age first.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I've never played any of Bioware's RPGs, but I just ordered Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening on amazon. I've heard both games are awesome, and I'm really excited to try dragon age first.

Should have gotten the original first. I believe a lot of choices from the first affect this game and the back story is always nice to have.

Final Fantasy stole this game from my PS3, so once I beat FF I'll get back to this game. I was 15 hrs into the original, and really wanna play Awakening. We shall see what happens, I've still got 40 hours left of FF.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I think you have to have a save file of Origins first before you can play Awakening. (not sure how it works for 360 though)

vv05c.png

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I think you have to have a save file of Origins first before you can play Awakening. (not sure how it works for 360 though)

The product description said it can be played as a stand-alone game. I hope that's right...

Can you guys tell me if awakenings is an entirely different game, or is it just origins with some expansions?

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

It is an expansion of Origins. It is however a very large expansion. It will not contain the original game and has a separate story set after the main game.

Looking at it on Amazon, it seems if you play it as a stand alone without playing the original, you will start off as another grey warden from another area (orlais) and not a character involved in what happened in the main game.

It will be playable on its own, but imo you would get more out of the game if you played the original first. I wouldn't suggest playing it first, then the original as it will probably reveal a lot of the story.

zqXeV.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was fun. I just beat Dragon Age Origins and Awakenings.

I must say that was a very well made game. Kudos to Bioshock- I had never tried any of your games before this and this was a great experience.

Dragon Age was AMAZING. Great storyline, great characters, great weapons/armor. What I loved most about the game is you could be a kind, merciful warrior or a rude, unforgiving bastard. I chose the path of the merciful and always tried to help people, never begging for more rewards, and denying rewards when I did not need them. I made a lot of friends, and kept a lot of my party members that way (but I still cried when I felt it was my duty to side with Queen Anora and Alistair left :'( ). At first I really didn't get into the talking part of the game, I just wanted to kill stuff (I was probably too used to MW2), but in time I learned that listening and paying attention to the conversation was not only helpful, but also engaging. But of course it was still fun to skip past the drier conversation and go right to battle, whacking stuff with my dwarven sword and hitting 400+s. One of the great strengths of this game I think was the ability to customize your ally's tactics. Previous RPGs have always been plagued by stupid AI, but no longer! I loved spending hours getting my allies tactics just right, so they would be the perfect warrior in battle.

My main setup was Sten, Morrigan, and Alistair. Sten was the tank; I gave him super high constitution plus some heavy armor, plus I got him to constantly use the taunt and threaten talents. Morrigan was the support mage; I gave her high willpower and magic, and made her stay on the backlines like a frightened little girl spamming heal spells. Alistair was my main buddy, he was my right hand man with the same stats and same armor as me, slashing away at those darkspawn smashing our tank around (now you can see why I was so sad that Alistair left).

Near the end I also experimented around with romance. I wooed Morrigan and eventually got her to "bed" with me, which was hillarious. I think she started out "Tis cold in my tent..." or something. Apparently the character you romance gets bonuses, so that's also nice.

My ONLY complaint is that the leveling up seemed too slow. Why do they give you a massive set of spells and talents when in the end, you'll only ever unlock about 15 of them? I felt that my characters were incomplete because they didn't have the full set of talents/spells that made them a perfect class (ex. morrigan having all the heal spells, sten having all the tank talents). I just wish there were either faster level ups or a lot more enemies to fight. I felt... incomplete at the end (but still managed to kill the archdemon and the mother).

Archdemon was kinda a pushover too...

dangsig.png