Dragon Age: Origins

Nero

1eFmC.png

So who else is looking forward to BioWare's new RPG?

Plot summary (taken from IGN):

Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to BioWare's critically acclaimed Baldur's Gate, featuring deep character customization and role-playing, morally challenging decisions, tactical party-based combat, and a wealth of gritty, mature sub-plots. It is a dark, heroic fantasy game that combines original storytelling techniques with classic role-playing challenges.

In Dragon Age, your choices change the world and affect the people around you. Certain situations, storylines, and conversation options will change drastically depending on your origin and your motivations. You choose your origin, and from that starting point, your story begins. You play through your character's early days, defining his or her background and motivation and begin to learn more about the world of Ferelden from your own distinct perspective. Your choice of origin defines how you will view the world and how it views you. Choose a sneaky, disrespected commoner and you will play a story that focuses around subtle skills and careful wordplay. Choose a noble origin and the world will be much more positive and helpful, but those jealous of your status will not be afraid to take what you have, violently if necessary.

Some more info from the Wiki page:

Dragon Age: Origins, (previously known as Dragon Age), is a computer role-playing game currently in development by BioWare's Edmonton studio. BioWare has announced that the game will be released for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 on October 20th, 2009 in North America and October 23rd, 2009 in Europe.

Dragon Age: Origins utilizes a new game engine named Eclipse. It has been confirmed that a toolset for creation of fan-made content will be included, though it is a single-player only game. BioWare co-CEO Ray Muzyka describes Dragon Age: Origins as a 'spiritual successor' to the Baldur's Gate series,[6] though it is not based on Dungeons & Dragons.

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate? I'm in :D

Oh, and you can also change the view point from 3rd person - behind the character, to a top down isometric view like in the Baldur's Gate series (or Diablo for people who've never played BG).

Official Dragon Age: Origins Site

Trailer

[yt]6o2HUrJMtaY[/yt]

Gameplay Video

[yt]4Q-jVM9fe8w[/yt]

There are some other gameplay videos, but it has overlaid audio of a guy who's voice I found annoying, so I didn't add it :P

Also, the game won't ship with any invasive DRM, only a disk check - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91475-BioWare-No-SecuROM-for-Dragon-Age-Origins

So what's everyone's thoughts? Looking forward to it, or not?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware RPG generally equals awesome. I'm torn between getting this on PC and PS3, I've never had to make this decision before when getting a game. I didn't really ever bother with mods for NWN, so the PC advantage isn't really there this time. Also multiplayer on PS3 would be easier. But for PS3 I have to pay for it before getting to play it once (PC I download, play the game once and if I like it I buy it).

Decisions decisions.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Isn't it single player only.

Looks good, but i wouldn't know which platform to get it on either, PC for more traditional control feeling, or console for a more modern feel?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• 4 months later...

Was going to make a thread on this game, but found this one so I'll just post here instead.

So is anyone else playing Dragon Age? It's such a good game, honestly it is easy one of the best RPG's I have played since Baldurs Gate II. The game is wonderfully hard, I've found myself having to reload and really be careful with tactics in a lot of the games harder fights.

I've put around 30 hours into the game so far and even though I haven't beat it yet I'm already planning on what my next character will be (for an expert playthrough). I'm playing a Berserker/Champion Warrior right now who uses 2h's. He's pretty [bleep]ing beastly, I'll have to take a screenshot sometime.

I really would get it but I'll have to wait a few years until I get either a more powerful laptop or until the summer when i can use my home PC.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

The game looks quite interesting, just a question though if one never played through Baldur's Gate would I be completely lost in the storyline? That and I'm assuming it'd be much better to pick this up for the PC rather then the 360 right?

The game looks quite interesting, just a question though if one never played through Baldur's Gate would I be completely lost in the storyline? That and I'm assuming it'd be much better to pick this up for the PC rather then the 360 right?

The story has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate at all, it's more of a spiritual successor.

I beat the game last night, clocked in about 35 hours or so just going straight through the story without hardly any side quests. I'm going to do a new character now and try and do all the side quests @ expert difficulty now :).

Only 35 hours? I expected more from the successor to baldurs gate, even if it isn't a squeal, it is made by the right people to make it a much longer game. I hope it would be at least 50 if you had done all of the side quests.

zqXeV.jpg

Only 35 hours? I expected more from the successor to baldurs gate, even if it isn't a squeal, it is made by the right people to make it a much longer game. I hope it would be at least 50 if you had done all of the side quests.

I'm only like 30% through with the game's content.

Yeah, and then there's gonna be mods coming out too. This game is amazing though. I've clocked 54 hours on my Assassin/Duelist rogue, and am just now doing the Redcliffe quests.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I'm def. getting this for Christmas. HELLO NO LIFE - over the summer. Oh well. I'm so pumped about this game, it looks awesome. Took your advice, nad ;).

[bleep]ING EPIC. When you see a game from Bioware, you know it is good.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Really enjoying my mage so far on my second playthrough. Seems really necessary to have good AoE skills to get through Nightmare difficulty.

Planning on making him an Arcane Warrior. Well, he already is (level 7) but going to wait until 14/16 for when I have better gear and Arcane Warrior talents to do it -- he drains too much mana currently while in heavy armor.

I'm on my first play-through with 20 hours and around 27% completion. Playing on nightmare difficulty was pretty tough at first, but then you adapt to the combat system and it becomes a cake walk until boss fights. I'm playing as a mage, and I normally use Alistair, Leliana, and Morrigan in my party. However, if something is really too tough, I'll drop my lockpicking rogue and grab Wynne for a third mage and just chain Lyrium potions and take my easy win. This game is really good, and if it looks remotely appealing to you, you should just buy it.

Bioware still has yet to disappoint.

Foooman.png

Really enjoying my mage so far on my second playthrough. Seems really necessary to have good AoE skills to get through Nightmare difficulty.

Planning on making him an Arcane Warrior. Well, he already is (level 7) but going to wait until 14/16 for when I have better gear and Arcane Warrior talents to do it -- he drains too much mana currently while in heavy armor.

Apparently an Arcane Warrior can solo Nightmare... Mages are overpowered, but necessary. It fits within the lore of the game too, that mages can't leave the Chantry because of demon influence and that power being useful to the Darkspawn.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Apparently an Arcane Warrior can solo Nightmare... Mages are overpowered, but necessary. It fits within the lore of the game too, that mages can't leave the Chantry because of demon influence and that power being useful to the Darkspawn.

I heard. It's sort of my goal, but I gotta get to 16 first lol.

What do you recommend for my first run through?

Well mages are certainly the easiest, although really it doesn't matter because you can just fill the party in with whatever you don't have.