Alternative Hip-Hop

venomai

Post your own recommendations, discuss alternative hip-hop, etc. An in-depth hip-hop thread is long overdue in MMT.

9 (Alternative) Hip-Hop Albums That Don't Suck

Intended as a 'starter list' for thosed who've only been exposed to limited forms of hip-hop. Sit back and just chill with this short list of alternative/underground/non-commercial hip-hop albums.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (1991)

pos3.png

A classic album by one of the most acclaimed alternative hip-hop groups of all time. If you haven't heard this album, you ought to. Also be sure to check out their other albums, particularly People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm.

Selected Tracks: Jazz (We've Got), Butter

Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) (1993)

pos6.png

A classic jazz-rap album released in '93.

Selected Tracks:

Guru - Jazzmatazz, Vol 1 (1993)

pos9.png

Part one of an excellent jazz-rap series by Guru (from Gang Starr). The other volumes are also well worth a look.

Selected Tracks:

, Transit Ride

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife (1996)

pos4.png

Smooth and conscious hip-hop. Their music video for "What They Do" still rings true today.

Selected Tracks:

, Section

Cyne - Cyne (Collection 1999-2003) (2003)

pos11.png

A collection of some of Cyne's best work.

Selected Tracks:

Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens (2007)

pos7.png

An excellent debut album by Blu (rapper) and Exile (producer).

Selected Tracks:

Us3 - Hand On the Torch (1993)

pos2.png

Yet another fusion of jazz and hip-hop

Selected Tracks: Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia), I Got It Goin' On

Ohmega Watts - The Find (2005)

pos12.png

A well-balanced album with laid-back beats and strong lyrics.

Selected Tracks: Mind Power,

J Dilla - Donuts (2006)

pos10.png

An all-instrumental album released on J Dilla's 32nd birthday, three days before his death. Donuts is a very different side of hip-hop, not one that everybody enjoys, but nevertheless a superb piece of work that marked Dilla as a legendary producer.

Selected Tracks: A Short Compilation

Honourable mentions:

Souls of Mischief - Cab Fare (Single)

Zion I - Mind Over Matter (2000)

Theory Hazit - Extra Credit (2007)

Murs - 3:16: The 9th Edition (2004)

J-Live - The Best Part (2001)

Lee Bannon - Marvin & Me (2009)

Oddisee - Foot In The Door (2006)

Blueprint - Sign Language (Instrumental) (2009)

Flying Lotus - 1983 (Instrumental) (2006)

Madlib - The Beat Konducta Vol. 1-2: Movie Scenes (Instrumental) (2006)

What's the whole turns thing, and getting pm'd?

I don't look at the album lists and the like so not sure what everybodies on about.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

What's the whole turns thing, and getting pm'd?

I don't look at the album lists and the like so not sure what everybodies on about.

Here.

As of late there have been a few people making lists who weren't nominated. There's nothing wrong with making your own thread, but it takes attention away from the "official" threads.

Cool.

Edited the OP to better appease the elitist folks here.

it's also a very lazily put together list done when it wasn't his turn.

You've missed the point of this thread if you think it's to compete with the so-called "official" lists. My list is a short 'kick-starter' for those who haven't been exposed to much alternative hip-hop. The albums listed aren't my 50+ favourite albums, but rather, a few albums that I felt would make a good introduction to an alternative hip-hop thread.

:thumbup:

Edited the OP to better appease the elitist folks here.

it's also a very lazily put together list done when it wasn't his turn.

You've missed the point of this thread if you think it's to compete with the so-called "official" lists. My list is a short 'kick-starter' for those who haven't been exposed to much alternative hip-hop. The albums listed aren't my 50+ favourite albums, but rather, a few albums that I felt would make a good introduction to an alternative hip-hop thread.

:thumbup:

I still think it's an album list in disguise...

I still think it's an album list in disguise...

Of course it's an album list...

I meant the Tip.it's top albums lists. Yes I am aware it's a list of albums.

On topic, I do not listen to hip-hop, alternative or otherwise.

I tried The Low End Theory, but didn't get into it for some reason. Having said that, I absolutely love the idea of Jazz elements in Hip-Hop, and will definitely check out some of these recommendations. Thanks. :thumbup:

Edit: Venomai, perhaps you could help.. I absolutely love the sampling used in Illmatic by Nas. Any of these albums similar to that style?

I had heard of A Tribe Called Quest before, and already knew they were amazing. Never thought that other people could do something similar, and still do it well. Now I know, and I thank you Venomai.

I was expecting to see a mention of Aesop Rock here, simply because it's what I'd call 'Alternative' Hip-Hop. Either way, for anyone willing to check Aesop out, it's worth it. The lyrics may not rhyme, but it just gives Aesop's music part of its feel, not to mention just how amazingly deep the lyrics are.

I don't even care that it seems like a list in disguise, at least it talks about something that hasn't been gone over a hundred times before.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Does Asheru, Madlib, and MF DOOM count?

Madvillain. <3:

Madvillian is pro.

Do you like Danger Doom?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

No love for sage francis?

Atmosphere?

Brother Ali?

Dang, those guys are some of my favorites

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Atmosphere?

Brother Ali?

Atmosphere is fantastic. I loved If Life Gives You Lemons, but the Lucy Ford collection is terrible. Sage Francis is pretty good as well, but I only like some of his stuff.

And I haven't heard of Danger Doom actually.

Cool.

I tried The Low End Theory, but didn't get into it for some reason. Having said that, I absolutely love the idea of Jazz elements in Hip-Hop, and will definitely check out some of these recommendations. Thanks. :thumbup:

Edit: Venomai, perhaps you could help.. I absolutely love the sampling used in Illmatic by Nas. Any of these albums similar to that style?

You should look up a lot of DJ Premier's production (he produced a few tracks on Illmatic), especially with Gangstarr. A lot of New York hip hop around that time has similar sort of style - Mobb Deep's The Infamous might be worth a listen as well.

I love the fact that a few months ago I was watching the Theif of Baghdad on tv and heard the sample for Represent, I'm turning into a sampple geek.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

We've already got most of my hip-hop on this thread :lol: I meant to say aesop when I was on here before, but I forgot. Oh well. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned is http://www.myspace.com/reupband. They're I guess what you'd call alternative hip-hop.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Atmosphere?

Brother Ali?

Atmosphere is fantastic. I loved If Life Gives You Lemons, but the Lucy Ford collection is terrible. Sage Francis is pretty good as well, but I only like some of his stuff.

:shock:

Its MF DOOM and Danger Mouse.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

If you liked Atmosphere, grab a copy of their free EP, Leak At Will.

Also check out Felt's two albums -- a duo with Slug (from Atmosphere) and MURS. Vol 2. is produced by Ant, so it's essentially Atmosphere with MURS.

[yt]SbvbVu8xNWA[/yt]

Illmatic uses pretty minimal sampling, mostly a few notes from a jazz piece.

Check out Nas' Lost Tapes if you haven't already. Doo Rags, Gotta Love It, and My Way.

Like 1_man_army said, be sure to check out the producers of Illmatic: DJ Premier, Q-Tip (from A Tribe Called Quest), Pete Rock and Large Professor (from Main Source). Gang Star's Moment of Truth, for example, or Pete Rock's NY's Finest (especially

and
).

Atmosphere?

Brother Ali?

I love Lucy Ford :|

No problem warri0r, I do think it was someone on the forum (Intruiging or Venomai?) that first made me realize how good Aesop is.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.