A question regarding Prayers, and Magic Defence.

Johannas

steel skin i guess....mmystic might doesnt give any defence against magic...

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

But the higher one's magic level, the better magic defense they have.

Do you see where i'm coming from?

yeah i know, but mystic might only increases magic accuracy, not the other aspects of a high level (that is, no extra defence), as far as i know

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

yeah i know, but mystic might only increases magic accuracy, not the other aspects of a high level (that is, no extra defence), as far as i know

Could you point me towards where you got this from? Thanks!

Apart from RS Wiki, who usually speak a load of rubbish

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Could you point me towards where you got this from? Thanks!

Apart from RS Wiki, who usually speak a load of rubbish

i forgot, its just what ive always thought it was/been told it was :\ i guess you could try both, but ive never noticed any def+ against magic while using mystic might

what prayer would be more beneficial. Mystic might or Steel skin?

Steel Skin: Increases defence by 15%

Mystic Might: Increases your Magic by 15%

Which do you think would be better DEFENCE against Magic..

Better yet if you can do Mystic Might mosewell use Protect from Magic :roll:

AnthonyWL.png

99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | 99 Woodcutting | | 99 Herblore | 99 Prayer |

| 99 Runecrafting | 99 Fletching | 99 Hitpoints | 99 Range |

Youtube: AnthonyOnRS.

Sorry anthonyL, but Jagex clearly said that magic defence is affected by 3 things:

- defense level

- magic defense bonus from equipment

- magic level

I think his question is fair and your answer doesn't explain how higher defense is better than magic.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

What if he needs to protect another prayer? Like say pray range at waterfiends?

Personally, whenever i get barraged with mage spells, i turn on mystic might, never used steel skin so i dont have a comparison unfourtunately.

Staurolite.png

what prayer would be more beneficial. Mystic might or Steel skin?

Better yet if you can do Mystic Might mosewell use Protect from Magic :roll:

If anything, defence would be less beneficial. It's openly stated that your defence against magic is based 70% on your mage level and only 30% in regards to your defence level.

We're just trying to figure out whether or not the pray boosts your actual level, or works as just an accuracy bonus.

I'm guessing the only way to know would be to test it out.

Sinkhan hit the nail on the head :)

And i think i will be able to draw my own conclusions with the 70 - 30% thing. I think it depends on both of your levels as to which one will be more effective.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Mystic Might is better. In f2p clan wars, I always get hit less with binds while using mystic might, and steel skin usually does not affect it.

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

Mystic Might is better. In f2p clan wars, I always get hit less with binds while using mystic might, and steel skin usually does not affect it.

But there's nothing to say that you'll get hit the came for damaging spells as non damaging spells. You didn't happen to notice whether normal spells hit you any differently?

to OP: sorry, but I'm guessing you're going to just have to test it.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

It depends on what your magic level and defence level is.

Magic defence is made up of 60% magic level + 40% defence level, depending on what your magic/ defence level is, it could be either.

EDIT: I just looked at your high score and saw that you have 87 def and 86 mag, so since they are about the same, using Mystic Might would increase your defence more than steel skin (if your talking about that character)

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Sorry anthonyL, but Jagex clearly said that magic defence is affected by 3 things:

- defense level

- magic defense bonus from equipment

- magic level

I think his question is fair and your answer doesn't explain how higher defense is better than magic.

I think his question is fair and i answered it within his limitations. He question involved only one question which i explained using my first post.

Note: OP Said:

When i'm defending against magic, what prayer would be more beneficial. Mystic might or Steel skin?

Did i hear anything do to with Defence Level? Any Magic Defence bonuses? or even a Magic Level.. NOOOO!!!!!!! :wall:

I answered his question which was which prayer is more beneficial..

Now Magic defence is affected by Magic lv, Defences Bonuses and a Defence level, but he only asked what prayer is better. I answered it.

**EDIT**

I have seen what you mean by better Magic increases defence. This is my reply. If Magic increases defence against Magic, and steel skin increases overall defence. Then you need to check on the percentage. The extra percentage gives you a rough level of the defence with the prayer.

Example: OP HAS:

87 Defence + 15%

= 87 + 13.05

= 100.05 Defence

86 Magic + 15%

= 86 + 12.90

= 98.9

So as you can see the percentage is almost 2 levels difference. If your magic was higher then Mystic Lore would be good. I would stick with Steel Skin then.

THAT BETTER LANGER?? :wall: :wall:

AnthonyWL.png

99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | 99 Woodcutting | | 99 Herblore | 99 Prayer |

| 99 Runecrafting | 99 Fletching | 99 Hitpoints | 99 Range |

Youtube: AnthonyOnRS.