Wondering about peoples musical knowledge...

Lionheart_0

And im not talking about the songs you all know. I know many of the community here play music and alot more listen to it. Well for the players i guess: What is your knowledge of music like? can you read music properly?

I just want to know this cause it seems a little population of my school can even comprehend the notes being the #of beets they take.

Also, with saying how much you all know, give me some examples of the peices you play (ill take pics of the music i play and show it to you all)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Erm...not quite sure what your after here but i'll give it a shot.

I play the classical guitar, i completed my Grade 4 Associated Board (it's an English music school) last summer, i'm now working towards my Grade 5 associated board. After that i'll switch to Trinity music school, since they don't require grade 5 theory (which i might end up doing anyway) to do grade 6.

I'm also doing GCSE Music over a two year course which i started when i went back in the september just-gone-by.

Naturally i can read sheet music, and could probably read guitar tabs if i put my mind to it (although i have never had to). I can read the bass clef but not fluently. I'll add some pics of my current pieces later, my guitar's downstairs, but here's the name of one of my grade 5 pieces:

El Gatica

It's not well known, but quite popular for people doing grade 5 apparently.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I'm a flautist. :P

Reading sheet music is pretty much compulsory for me. Most recent pieces under my belt were Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity (from The Planets, Gustav Holst) and The Lord of the Dance (Ronan Hardiman). There's a bunch more of other things I've played in orchestra and concert band, but I really can't be bothered typing up five years' worth of music.

... i realize that my post made next to no sense... I wrote it at 300 am after working 5.5 hours...

Ill work on getting those pics of the music i play.

I also play trumpet and have played trumpet since grd 7 (in 10 now). Im preatty good, and i am preatty good at theory.

LOL im the only trumpet in my music class.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I can't read a single music note :| but I'm a music producer, electronically. Tunes just pop in my head over night or when I'm out somewhere doing something, I go home and try to match the sound in my head into FL Studio's beat patterns.

I want to learn musical notes one day and maybe compose some great tracks with all the right sounds, but I'm too busy with school and work on my hands now. I know how to play a piano just a little bit - Don't know any notes , it's just prior knowledge.

gors2.gif

Guest GhostRanger

Something I find to be really funny is that my friends dad J.P. Pennington, who was the lead singer in Exile (They sang I Wanna Kiss You All Over) - well anyway, he now writes music for the band Alabama and stuff and he can't read music at all. He does everything by ear...

Ive been drumming since I was 4 or 5 (12 now), and can read sheet music (if I can ever find it for the songs I play), and with some songs, can play them just by listening (usually).

I started the guitar 3 years ago, but play terribly :lol:

It all depends how much time you put into your music.

Me babies! :P

12384275jw.jpg

12384288pg.jpg

I've got 7 years of piano, 3 years of trumpet, and I'm currently teaching myself guitar (acoustic) I'd say overall piano is my fav, probably because i've been practising it the longest. People seem to enjoy things they're good at. Except RS...you can be good at RS but not enjoy yourself.

Zaataar.png

I played the piano for 4 years so i can read sheet music and all that. Maybe its just me but isn't this more like musical ability rather than musical "knowledge"?

Nah its music knowledge, cause i dont think its a real skill to read the music, just got to memorize the diffrent music theory.

hpim08016mq.th.jpg[/img]

I fianly got a sample pic of my music. The bottom one was made weird so dosent properly open.

I can read all of those... but playing it is a diffrent thing, lol, i can do about 45% it

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Under the sea? Like from little mermaid? :D

ya... but its freakin hard! Thats a peice from music class (The others im showing mainly are from rep band), and im the only trumpet and its kinda hard to keep in beet. Seriously though, it really is hard :?

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Under the sea? Like from little mermaid? :D

ya... but its freakin hard! Thats a peice from music class (The others im showing mainly are from rep band), and im the only trumpet and its kinda hard to keep in beet. Seriously though, it really is hard :?

I havent played it before, or even tried, so Ill have to take your word for it.

Note to self: Stay away from Mermaid Music :shock:

Note to self: Stay away from Mermaid Music :shock:

lmao! that was pricless!

Well its just hard for me right now, i bet people in grd 11 /12 could play it no problem.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Something I find to be really funny is that my friends dad J.P. Pennington, who was the lead singer in Exile (They sang I Wanna Kiss You All Over) - well anyway, he now writes music for the band Alabama and stuff and he can't read music at all. He does everything by ear...

My grandfather has told me about a relative of mine - I believe it's my Great Uncle on my Grandmother's side - who got a violin as a present when he was young and learned to play it without any lessons or sheet music. He just listened to other people play and taught himself. By the time he was an adult they say he could play along with the best of concert violinists but he didn't even know the names of the notes he was playing or anything about sheet music.

As for me, I used to play the clarinet. I played from 6th - 8th grade in middle school. I dropped band when I went to highschool though because it was so time consuming. Since I hadn't been using it, my mom loaned my clarinet to my cousin who wanted to join band and now we don't know where my clarinet that cost 800 bucks when it was new, is.

The most technical piece that I think I ever totally learned was Jupiter from "The Planets" which I was learning to challenge the chairs above me so I could move up to first chair. The second chair didn't practice much so I knew he wouldn't be able to play the song after the week you get to prepare for a challenge. The first chair couldn't hit high notes and the song is full of really high notes and in some places it goes from low notes to really high ones quickly which makes it even harder. I never did challenge them though because around that time I started to loose my self confidence and as a result, my ability to speak or play music in front of crowds.

Now I have a 6 string accoustic/electric guitar that I try to play every now and then. I can't read standard musical notation for guitar but I can read tablature(who couldn't? it just shows what strings to press down on which frets). I have a book with some sheet music in it that is both standard notation and tab so I've tried to play the tabs for a few of them. The one I've praticed the most is "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who.

Now I have a 6 string accoustic/electric guitar that I try to play every now and then. I can't read standard musical notation for guitar but I can read tablature(who couldn't? it just shows what strings to press down on which frets). I have a book with some sheet music in it that is both standard notation and tab so I've tried to play the tabs for a few of them. The one I've praticed the most is "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who.

What kind of guitar? :)

I play trumepet and drums, did my grade 7 on trumpet last year and got a merit 8)

dont really mind what music I play really, I generally prefer big band and jaz, but I will play anything. Recenlty played in Nottingham Scout/Guide gang show, which was friggin awesome!

Currently studying for grade 8, on some absolute sods of pieces, Concert Scherzo, Neruda's Trumpet Concerto, and every scale that exists :shock:

Will post pictures of my drum kit when I get home tonight

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

I don't play any instruments, though I am considering to take some guitar lessons. :P But I do try to do some research and so about music I like, so in a way I am expending my musical knowledge with that. :P

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Well I played the piano from the age of 4 until about 9, guitar from 9 - 11, flute from 11 - 12, and trumpet from 12 til now (16)

I also took private lessons in all of the above instruments except flute. So I have quite the years of experience. I can read theory no problem, my lowest theory mark last year was one 98% on the grade 10 theory exam, and 100% on every other theory test or quiz throughout the year. My final overall mark in band was 95.

So without sounding cocky, I'm pretty well off when it comes to trumpet and theory. I'm thinking of taking up the violin or sax soon, we'll see. As for my playing ability, got 93 on my grade 10 playing test. So I'm not bad, but there are better. Highest note is about a third C (had to hit it in a song last year :shock: ) and I regularly have to hit high G's, sometimes high A's in songs. I'll see about scanning in some of my music when I find em :lol: :wink:

signaturecj5.jpg

Well I played the piano from the age of 4 until about 9, guitar from 9 - 11, flute from 11 - 12, and trumpet from 12 til now (16)

I also took private lessons in all of the above instruments except flute. So I have quite the years of experience. I can read theory no problem, my lowest theory mark last year was one 98% on the grade 10 theory exam, and 100% on every other theory test or quiz throughout the year. My final overall mark in band was 95.

So without sounding cocky, I'm pretty well off when it comes to trumpet and theory. I'm thinking of taking up the violin or sax soon, we'll see. As for my playing ability, got 93 on my grade 10 playing test. So I'm not bad, but there are better. Highest note is about a third C (had to hit it in a song last year :shock: ) and I regularly have to hit high G's, sometimes high A's in songs. I'll see about scanning in some of my music when I find em :lol: :wink:

:shock: *bows down* im not worthy, im not worthy!

Hmmmm, lol we should have a insturment idol and see who can play an insturment the best.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai