Unjustified censorship!

Romy

[hide=Quotes from above]

Besides, it's not a kid's game, so people will not go crying to their parents and said "some guy on a internet said a bad word!".

Censors, useless. Period.

Errrm, think of Timmy who got himself on national news because he RWT'ed and got hacked by a clan. Kids will do anything for attention - including whining to their parents.

I think censors are good, there's no need to have to hear any swearing or inappropriate language. They don't get in the way very much any more and while I have nothing against the use of swear words when I'm angry, I'm all for them being censored too. Unfortunately the use of swears is seen far more common in insulting people - which is definitely not appropriate. I just don't want to see gay being thrown around as an insult.

RWTing is one thing. Swear words and censorship is another.

I do realize that swear words are sometimes used for insulting people. But then again, there's the ignore list, and if you get offended just by some random someone typing an insult, then you're gonna have a hard time dealing with this stuff. By the way, almost no one that I have met on Runescape has made insults to me using swears, so it is actually not that big of a problem.

Then, there's the person that accidentally makes a typo which got the word censored. A WBM (Wanna-Be Mod) sees this, and reports that person. That person who made the typo just got muted for 48 hours.

That's yet another example of why the censor hurts more than helps.

[/hide]

It's true there's the ignore list, but some people are sensitive and will still be hurt if someone calls them a bleeping bleep bleep. Not many people use swears as insults but they still do - and more would if the censor would allow it.

If a word is censored then there's no foul language is there? You can't report someone under obscene language if the censor has caught it.

I do realize that some people are more sensitive than others. However, the best solution is to just take more of it and use comebacks, so that you can learn to deal with it. That's how I learned to deal with most mean people that I have met. Just because the censor would allow swears does not mean that more people will use swears as insults. Since swearing is possible in that circumstance, reporting them for foul language is actually easier, so in the long run, less people will use swears as insults.

By the way, I have heard people get muted just because they made typos. Like this example:

Person (no typo): "Let's go cut yews."

Person (typo): "Let's go cut jews."

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=Quotes from above]

Besides, it's not a kid's game, so people will not go crying to their parents and said "some guy on a internet said a bad word!".

Errrm, think of Timmy who got himself on national news because he RWT'ed and got hacked by a clan. Kids will do anything for attention - including whining to their parents.

I think censors are good, there's no need to have to hear any swearing or inappropriate language. They don't get in the way very much any more and while I have nothing against the use of swear words when I'm angry, I'm all for them being censored too. Unfortunately the use of swears is seen far more common in insulting people - which is definitely not appropriate. I just don't want to see gay being thrown around as an insult.

I do realize that swear words are sometimes used for insulting people. But then again, there's the ignore list, and if you get offended just by some random someone typing an insult, then you're gonna have a hard time dealing with this stuff. By the way, almost no one that I have met on Runescape has made insults to me using swears, so it is actually not that big of a problem.

Then, there's the person that accidentally makes a typo which got the word censored. A WBM (Wanna-Be Mod) sees this, and reports that person. That person who made the typo just got muted for 48 hours.

[/hide]

It's true there's the ignore list, but some people are sensitive and will still be hurt if someone calls them a bleeping bleep bleep. Not many people use swears as insults but they still do - and more would if the censor would allow it.

If a word is censored then there's no foul language is there? You can't report someone under obscene language if the censor has caught it.

I do realize that some people are more sensitive than others. However, the best solution is to just take more of it and use comebacks, so that you can learn to deal with it. That's how I learned to deal with most mean people that I have met. Just because the censor would allow swears does not mean that more people will use swears as insults. Since swearing is possible in that circumstance, reporting them for foul language is actually easier, so in the long run, less people will use swears as insults.

By the way, I have heard people get muted just because they made typos. Like this example:

Were you around when the censor got changed and you had half a dozen people seemingly everywhere spouting out the newly uncensored words? It'll be the exact same thing if they were to change the censor again, the community is not mature enough to handle big words like gay.

It is a sad thing when something like that happens, but I doubt people get permanently muted and from what everyone says you can appeal things easy as it is.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Actually, it's not just those words that are censored. Words like "screw" and even "google" that are perfectly normal are censored as well.

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

Oh? Then why isn't 'straight' censored? It DOES 'center around the discussion of SEX', why not censor it?

Are you really serious...

Ofcourse, if gay is censored because it 'centers around the discussion of sex', why shouldn't 'straight'?

.. Because "straight" actually has a use besides describing sexuality.. Such as.. you can say, "After I farm this patch im going to teleport straight to Fally". Its primary use as a word does not focus around "SEX".[/hide]

EDIT: Yes, gay can refer to a non-sexual definiation but the majority of the time it is not used that way. The term straight is used as a non-sexual term the majority of the time it is used. Thats the difference.

If that is true, then why is "screw" censored? It has nothing to do with sex, and yet it is censored in-game.

Truth is, no word should be censored. We all know what they are, and we wouldn't care if somebody said it anyway. Sexual references are perfectly normal, and are always used in everyday life. That's why fads like "That's what she said!" was invented.

"Screw" is a pretty bad example to use. As it's commonly used, as slang, to have sexual intercourse.

I can't think of many examples, in RuneScape, where one would need to use "Screw" in a sentence?

"Anyone got an iron screw? I dropped the one I needed."

I'm sure in the event that they add a screw item to runescape, the censor will be reworked to allow the word in certain context; however, there is no screw item. Not even a screwdriver--it's referred to a Turnscrew actually, which isn't censored.

So that's really a moot point. Having the word censored because it has no relevancy nor context to the game itself saves more problems than it creates.

Even though the word is censored, it will be a hindrance to those just normally chatting, clan chatting, and even private chatting. Censors can and will get in the way.

If I were to use "screw", an example would be "Darn, that revenant screwed up my wildy mining.". It has absolutely no sexual reference, and is not offensive as well, therefore it should not be censored. Hell, every word should not be censored, because it's just a word. What harm does it do? Nothing.

Right, no more beating around the bush. "Screw" - in your sentence is simply replacing another word, which is to do with sexual intercourse. Pretty much no better way to put it. "Darn, that revenant screwed up my wildy mining." - ""Darn, that revenant [bleep]ed up my wildy mining."

Find for me, if you will, a sentence you can put that in, without relating to construction irl or whatever that "Screw" is replacing that other word. Please.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

[hide=Quotes from above]

[/hide]

Were you around when the censor got changed and you had half a dozen people seemingly everywhere spouting out the newly uncensored words? It'll be the exact same thing if they were to change the censor again, the community is not mature enough to handle big words like gay.

It is a sad thing when something like that happens, but I doubt people get permanently muted and from what everyone says you can appeal things easy as it is.

Yes, I was around when the censor got changed. I didn't really see anyone spamming those uncensored words. Even I myself use them very rarely. I'm only a measly 13 year old, and I know when to talk swear words and when you shouldn't.

Right, no more beating around the bush. "Screw" - in your sentence is simply replacing another word, which is to do with sexual intercourse. Pretty much no better way to put it. "Darn, that revenant screwed up my wildy mining." - ""Darn, that revenant [bleep]ed up my wildy mining."

Find for me, if you will, a sentence you can put that in, without relating to construction irl or whatever that "Screw" is replacing that other word. Please.

Keep in mind, I never relate my words to sexual intercourse. I said "screwed up" as in "messed up" or "ruined it" - it's just that I find that "screw" sounds better than "mess". It's just what sounds better to me. If I replaced it, it would be:

"Darn, that revenant messed up/ruined my wildy mining."

I never intended it to add a sexual reference. I never mention anything of sexual intercourse in it. I did not replace the word to be another that has to do with sexual intercourse.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

[hide=Quotes from above]

[/hide]

Yes, I was around when the censor got changed. I didn't really see anyone spamming those uncensored words. Even I myself use them very rarely. I'm only a measly 13 year old, and I know when to talk swear words and when you shouldn't.

Keep in mind, I never relate my words to sexual intercourse. I said "screwed up" as in "messed up" or "ruined it" - it's just that I find that "screw" sounds better than "mess". It's just what sounds better to me. If I replaced it, it would be:

"Darn, that revenant messed up/ruined my wildy mining."

I never intended it to add a sexual reference. I never mention anything of sexual intercourse in it. I did not replace the word to be another that has to do with sexual intercourse.

Hold up, I never said you did intend it to be that. I am simply telling you, why the word "Screw" is censored. You may not intend for it to mean sexual intercourse, but when you use "screw" in a sentence generally, it's a replacement for (And I do apologise for having to use this), [bleep]. That word. Albeit, it's not as bad. But it still means the same thing.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Words of homosexual nature should be allowed in Runescape.

As for the people who're saying that the "community" isn't ready to handle such a switch, I'd like to point out the first censor update that happened a few months ago. I can also recall all of the debates as to whether the community could handle all of those big words. When I walk around the GE, I don't see people continuously yelling "Hey girl! Nice [wagon]!" What everyone seems to be saying is that people'll misuse the words "homo" or "gay." And while that may be true, to those that abuse it, I say whatever. Let them tie their own noose and hang themselves with it. I can live with another censor update, and people that can't can either turn their private chat off, learn to change their convoluted thought processes, or get muted. Either way, I win, and that's the moral of my post. I win at life.

guido_49.png

I belive that the words are censored because their only use in a game like RuneScape, is to be used as explitives. I would imagine that usage would be more insulting than the censorship itself is.

I will also point out that someones sexual orientation has absolutly no place in the game either. It's on that unwriten list of things that people don't discuss because all it does is cause flame wars. The game is host to some if the most biggeted and close minded people you could ever have the misfortune to meet. Now, the game is home to some incredibly selfless and many caring people too, but theres no need to open the doors for the first group, The obnoxious people are always the loudest, and this would only cause more problems than it would solve.

The words aren't censored because the words are bad. They are censored, because no good can come from their usage in the game.

The long and short of this is:

They're censored because A ) The community isn't mature enough to use them in a non-insulting manner, B ) Because some most people would get sick and tired of getting called "gay" every time that someone fails to steal their spot, and C ) it doesn't really matter. If you're stupid/odd/desperate/what have you to say you're gay on an Internet site where half of the "females" are guys being idiots, then you should probably be doing something else.

a70c7.png

First off, the first few pages of this thread is a disgrace and I hope you are all ashamed of yourselves.

This is the VERY reason why it's censored, immature little bastards who can't grow up and accept such "modifications" in one's life.

Secondly, I personally don't see why it should be uncensored. Why is there a need to say you're gay/lesbian? Like it's been said before, this is not a dating site, there is no valid reason for anyone to announce their sexual orientation.

Hell, all my friends know that I'm a lesbian on Runescape, I wonder how that happened!

Eejits.png

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

i didnt read the topic or any of the posts within it I dont have the time but i have the time to say that since 2001 my name has been written **** A Ji and that sucks donkey balls

Sucks to be you. :(

And use the name changing update.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

This thread reminds of This Site.

Because quite frankly, it's not how it'd be used in rs, it's how it's constantly used in today's society, especially among teenagers.

EDIT: I didn't realize how many time I used the word "it's" until I looked this over. :wall:

To solve all this problems, no rule anymore on offensive language, censor all the words which might be offensive and allow players to turn on and off the censor, and maybe ban people trying to get around the censor.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I'm bisexual and honestly I don't care too much about making it uncensored. Like many have said before me it's not like we're having discussions about homosexuality constantly and even if we were it's not like we need the word to get the point across... "I like guys or girls" should suffice.

Making the word gay uncensored would be a bad idea I think because of how much spam it would cause. I could probably imagine people using the word gay every time something doesn't go their way "Man that's so gay". Not to mention world 1 :roll:

1288581197250-1.jpg

if people really want to say "gay" ingame, there are numerous ways of getting around the censor for it. if it is uncensored, yeah it will get thrown around a lot more for a while, like the last censor update when they unblocked damn and such, but after a while it would go down. it would still be used in the wrong context alot, but how many other words do you see used in the wrong way, every day?

i have several gay/bi/lesbian friends irl and none of them are offended by the casual (and often "wrong") uses of the word "gay". they know that people are idiots and cant use it right, but it doesnt effect them.

tl;dr- if its unblocked there will be a [cabbage]storm at first then everyone will forget and noone will care

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Sexuality words are used for insults; and if the adults can't see the difference, what makes you think the RS kids will?

Besides, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like homosexuals are shunned from Jagex or not allowed to play. They just can't say those words not because it's true definition, but by the definition of it's insult.

And sorry to break it to you guys, but being homosexual is unnatural. But that doesn't mean it's wrong. Humans aren't supposed to travel 500+ mph through the skies neither. :razz:

You hit the nail on the head there. I'm not jumping into the discussion about been gay being right/wrong/natural/unnatural though...

disturbeda.png

There's no such thing as unnatural.

I should refer to TheAmazingAtheist's recent videos. Can we not embed Youtube videos anymore? Oh well, here's a link:

Oh yeah, and to not get this post deleted, removing the censor on those listed words would be abused. Nothing more.

if people really want to say "gay" ingame, there are numerous ways of getting around the censor for it. if it is uncensored, yeah it will get thrown around a lot more for a while, like the last censor update when they unblocked damn and such, but after a while it would go down. it would still be used in the wrong context alot, but how many other words do you see used in the wrong way, every day?

i have several gay/bi/lesbian friends irl and none of them are offended by the casual (and often "wrong") uses of the word "gay". they know that people are idiots and cant use it right, but it doesnt effect them.

tl;dr- if its unblocked there will be a [cabbage]storm at first then everyone will forget and noone will care

Actually, when the censor unblocked words like "damn" and such, I saw no one using those swear words. That was even on world 1. :roll:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Actually, when the censor unblocked words like "damn" and such, I saw no one using those swear words. That was even on world 1. :roll:

How do you use damn as an insult? When they uncensored suck, [wagon], etc, I saw people using it all the time. I reported a lot of people for just running up to me and saying stuff like "Suck my [wagon]" randomly because they thought they couldn't get blackmarks for it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

How do you use damn as an insult? When they uncensored suck, [wagon], etc, I saw people using it all the time. I reported a lot of people for just running up to me and saying stuff like "Suck my [wagon]" randomly because they thought they couldn't get blackmarks for it.

Really? They were using it so much? Boy, either you're unlucky or I have never been to Lumbridge these past few months. :rolleyes:

People always look at the dumb-[wagon] players, and overlook the good ones. The players that I have met are all good players that act maturely, and don't just spam these words like a total idiot. It's probably because I always go to places only mid-high levels would go, such as guilds, minigames, etc. Not everyone will spam these words, in fact, very few people do. Even to this day, the only resemblance of a swear word I have seen is a typo. This is even in F2P, so I'm assuming that P2P has all the immature players that spam swear words.

Btw, I'm not saying all P2Pers act this way. I'm only saying about the select few you have mentioned.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog