What do you think of a Runescape TD?

magzar

Personally I love the idea. I used to get hours of enjoyment playing them on Warcraft 3 online, and have been sorely missing them since losing my frozen throne disc.

I just submitted a suggestion on the RSOF, and I'd love any support that could be given. QF code 84-85-894-59770999

This thread however is to discuss your opinions of TD's and if you think adding one in runescape is, possible, plausible, and overall a good idea.

Also if you have any ideas about what makes a good TD, or what you think a great idea for a RS TD would be, I would love to hear your ideas. So have at it ladies and gents.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Tower Defense. Players build attacking towers to fend off waves of creeps and prevent them from reaching a goal point.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Having a TD sounds like a good idea. It can probably be used in a new minigame in the future.

I haven't seen a TD myself, so all I can say is that it will be a nice addition.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

A Tower Defense. Players build attacking towers to fend off waves of creeps and prevent them from reaching a goal point.

Sounds interesting.

Are you proposing a minigame with this type of gameplay?

yes indeedy. Other than undead assault(which i would love to see on RS but fear is out of it's range) TD's are one of my favorite multiplayer games.

[hide]

[/hide]

I like the idea. Only instead of towers for RS TD we should have monsters :)

hmm, how about a combination? For instance we use the construction skill(which has been horribly neglected in minigames) to build towers, and summoning to summon stationary monsters to attack either as creeps pass by in melee range, or from a distance.

[hide]

[/hide]

Sounds interesting.

Are you proposing a minigame with this type of gameplay?

yes indeedy. Other than undead assault(which i would love to see on RS but fear is out of it's range) TD's are one of my favorite multiplayer games.

*thinks about nazi zombies runescape edition*

It could work, however I think it would have to have some sort of quest tie.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

This is basically a Pest Control game with construction...

No, not even close. I suggest you do a quick search for TD's online and play a couple. You'll see that though they have a similar goal, they're really nothing alike at all.

[hide]

[/hide]

hmm, how about a combination? For instance we use the construction skill(which has been horribly neglected in minigames) to build towers, and summoning to summon stationary monsters to attack either as creeps pass by in melee range, or from a distance.

A new minigame that consists mainly of Construction and Summoning? Sweet, I like the new minigame idea. I hope Jagex releases this type of minigame soon. :D

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

A new minigame that consists mainly of Construction and Summoning? Sweet, I like the new minigame idea. I hope Jagex releases this type of minigame soon. :D

That's only the beginning, toss in magic for magical towers, ranged for archer outposts, hell even slayer for towers to kill specific brands of creeps that require a certain type of attack to kill like turoths. The possibilities are endless.

[hide]

[/hide]

No, not even close. I suggest you do a quick search for TD's online and play a couple. You'll see that though they have a similar goal, they're really nothing alike at all.

Yeah I know how they work, mobs follow a generated path and you build towers near the path to eliminate the mobs before they reach their goal. The difference with PC is that PC mobs have different behaviors ranging from healing the portals to attacking the players or their main goal, our allied NPC.

I don't see how we could have something like that in RS without having the feeling it's not right for our game.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

For some reason, the idea of a TD reminds me of that 30-minute Zombie Survival thing in Starcraft.

In Runescape, it probably would be to kill as many zombies as possible without them reaching your TD. As you kill more, there will be more and more zombies approaching.

As for rewards, there should be a rating system, based on the number of kills you and your team gets. That's all the ideas I have for now.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Yeah I know how they work, mobs follow a generated path and you build towers near the path to eliminate the mobs before they reach their goal. The difference with PC is that PC mobs have different behaviors ranging from healing the portals to attacking the players or their main goal, our allied NPC.

I don't see how we could have something like that in RS without having the feeling it's not right for our game.

Well there's nothing to say that all the creeps have to behave the same way in every wave. We could have units that attack our towers, units that heal each other, kamikaze units, units capable of spawning others on death, and many others. There's nothing to say that it couldn't have it's own RS spin. Just look at the other minigames. A lot of those don't exactly fall into the normal gameplay, but that's why people play them. Having a Td would introduce a whole new dimension to what's available in RS. It would certainly be better than that lame game mobilizing armies. I mean that was a letdown, even the game they put on funorb that we thought might be a peek into what it would be like was better, and that's just sad.

[hide]

[/hide]

Jagex have a Tower Defence game on FunOrb called "Orb Defence", so they know how to make that kind of game.

Having it in RS Style, I think it would end up like Mobilising Armies.

I was really into TD before, but its gotten a little repetative for me.

Kind of an interesting idea none the less.

I think it would be pretty awesome, and i guess almost every skill can be used in it, including firemaking (goodness gracious, great balls of fire!) and farming (grow plant-like towers) ^_^

Maybe it could also be with different roles, like in BA?

Anyways, it would be a great addition, and I'm not even talking about rewards yet!

Jagex have a Tower Defence game on FunOrb called "Orb Defence", so they know how to make that kind of game.

Having it in RS Style, I think it would end up like Mobilising Armies.

I was really into TD before, but its gotten a little repetative for me.

Kind of an interesting idea none the less.

I wasn't aware of that, and I just tried it. Let me just say, I absolutely hate it. Then again my idea is to have a multiplayer TD, rather than a singleplayer one.

I was also thinking about the possibility of a specific role for each player. For instance, a summoner to summon attacking monster "towers" a builder to build things like cannons/walls/ballistae/traps, a ranger to train archers for archer towers, a mage to conjure mystical forces to cause status effects like slowing or poison, a slayer to create specialized towers such as slayer dart towers or rock salt cannons or whatever else. The biggest downfall there would be when some jerk decided to bail out on their team.

Edit: Rsriemis you beat me to the punch on the roles lulz.

[hide]

[/hide]

I wasn't aware of that, and I just tried it. Let me just say, I absolutely hate it. Then again my idea is to have a multiplayer TD, rather than a singleplayer one.

I was also thinking about the possibility of a specific role for each player. For instance, a summoner to summon attacking monster "towers" a builder to build things like cannons/walls/ballistae/traps, a ranger to train archers for archer towers, a mage to conjure mystical forces to cause status effects like slowing or poison, a slayer to create specialized towers such as slayer dart towers or rock salt cannons or whatever else. The biggest downfall there would be when some jerk decided to bail out on their team.

Hmm... about the roles, it seems like a good idea.

But won't certain people want to stick with specific roles, and others won't get picked at all? For example, if people found out that a certain combat type is more effective, won't they always pick that one and neglect the others?

If it is made in which all types of combat are equal, then yes it will work. If not, then no.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I'd like a TD, but unless the rewards were worth it, TDs for my Ipod touch/ general TDs would most likely be better.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'd like a TD, but unless the rewards were worth it, TDs for my Ipod touch/ general TDs would most likely be better.

If it has a rating system that would appear on the hi-scores, would you change your mind? ;)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

You know you can go to battle.net enter your CD keys and download digital copies of the game.

TD's are fun for like a week but then you figure out the best strategy and it becomes pointless. Play DotA. Its good for the soul.

Still though, I guess since everything in RS is repetitive having a TD mini game with construction and stuff would be pretty cool. Would it be PvP or PvM though? Like Line tower wars or like Element TD? I like the idea more and more as I'm typing this lol, it would be a great construction mini game and being able to specialize towers with combat skills would be awesome too.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Hmm... about the roles, it seems like a good idea.

But won't certain people want to stick with specific roles, and others won't get picked at all? For example, if people found out that a certain combat type is more effective, won't they always pick that one and neglect the others?

If it is made in which all types of combat are equal, then yes it will work. If not, then no.

My thoughts exactly. The solution to that, I think would be that only one of each role can be chosen per game. On top of that, make it so that certain waves are more vulnerable to the attacks of a certain role. With the combat triangle this wouldn't be hard to implement as certain enemies are already stronger against certain types of attack. For instance, heavily armored enemies would be vulnerable to the magical towers, magical enemies(and possibly flying units?) would be weak to ranged attacks and so on.

Edit: digital copies eh? I was not aware of that but now that I am, guess what I'll be doing later =D. As for the repetitiveness, it could be possible to somewhat randomize the waves so the players can't just choose one strategy for every game, and possibly having what towers are available depend on your levels would add another level of intricacy. As for whether it would be PvP or PvM, I see no reason why there couldn't be multiple modes so that both would be possible, after all some players like to cooperate while others like to compete.

[hide]

[/hide]

If it has a rating system that would appear on the hi-scores, would you change your mind? ;)

No. Funorb is for that.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]