Stellar Dawn scrapped, new one being developed

xxshady

Heres what I understand after reading the Q&A:

Jagex worked on Mechscape for awhile and after they got the whole game pieced together Anderew and Mod MMG played it and realized it sucked and didn't follow their original game design document. They spent months trying to fix the game to make it more enjoyable but it just wasn't working out. So they decided to just start over from scratch but they are keeping all the advances in the game engine(HD and other stuff like resizeable chat, etc.) That is what they mean when it says the development wasn't a total loss. It doesn't necessarily mean that their redesigned game will look or play the same as Mechscape it just means they made advances in the game engine during development that they are going to keep.

Sorry if that was confusing I am just hoping to clear up some confusion on why they are starting over and what might translate from Mechscape to their new game.

simple version(hopefully less confusing)

Andrew and a team set out to make a game using all their new knowledge from Runescape.

After years of development it was finally playable.

Andrew and Mod MMG played it.

It wasn't up to their expectations and didn't follow the original design document.

After a few months of trying to fix it to make it what they wanted they decided it wasn't salvageable.

They are now starting development of a "new" game based on the original design document.

They are keeping the advances to the game engine.

Hope I helped to clear some things up.

note I don't work for Jagex and I don't know if I am right but that is what I have gathered so far from some interviews.

Nagrom_17.png

Doing random stuff on runescape. Always happy to have a random conversation, just pm me.

It looks like a puke covered dragon face that is screaming
Thanks Unoalexi for my awesome avatar!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad they scrapped it. I was not at all impressed by that video. It looked far too similar to RuneScape. If I want to play RuneScape, I have RuneScape for that.

The graphics were dog balls too. Even though I understand it is from an older engine, if they build it directly from RT5 I'm sure it'll look even better than the current version of RS we have.

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

I'm glad they scrapped it. I was not at all impressed by that video. It looked far too similar to RuneScape. If I want to play RuneScape, I have RuneScape for that.

The graphics were dog balls too. Even though I understand it is from an older engine, if they build it directly from RT5 I'm sure it'll look even better than the current version of RS we have.

Indeed, it did look a bit rubbish, though aside from pre-HD graphics, it'd have pre-HD technology and concepts.

If they scrap it, I'm hoping that it's worth the wait, since there's only a chance of it coming out in 2010 now. :angry:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Clearly the scrapped the project because it wasn't good and I would rather wait to play a great game rather then a [cabbage]ty. There wouldn't even have been a point to a beta since they are starting over basically a new project.

tFtfA.jpg

I bet you the game was best described as "Mobilizing Armies in Space".

Then for some reason somebody finally took a look into Runescape last week and saw how that went... :wink:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol