Stellar Dawn scrapped, new one being developed

xxshady

If this is true, I'm laughing really hard.

That game sounded like total crap to me anyways.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/decision-to-cancel-mechscape-costs-jagex-tens-of-millions

Decision to cancel MechScape costs Jagex "tens of millions"

Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard has confirmed that RuneScape successor MechScape has been canned just prior to its release.

The decision, he told GamesIndustry.biz, was made in August when the assembled game failed to meet the standards of Jagex's new CEO and his team.

"Initially the reason for building MechScape was that we would learn all the lessons from RuneScape having run it for around four years at the time.

"It got near completion and we discovered, oops, it didn't do all of those things that we wanted it to. So we went back to the original design document and said 'let's do it again'."

Cancelling the project at such a late stage has made for an expensive learning curve, admitted Gerhard, although he agreed the company's continued financial success helped the situation.

"Yes, it's a luxury that we are doing well and we can afford to make the decision. I didn't make the decision lightly because it's effectively cost us tens of millions of pounds. Maybe more."

But it was vital, he said, for Jagex to release a game it was proud of and that its team would want to play. It's crucial to me we don't just ship a title because we've built it.

"The previous game wasn't a game that we want to play. As much as we ended up thinking of it like a baby we were 'reasonably' proud of it, we thought it was a good experience and we'd achieved something it wasn't a game ready for launch.

"It was expensive. I hope never again to have to make the same decision twice. But it was the right decision."

Not everything has been lost however, and Gerhard says that much of the game including its engine - will be reused in the new secret project the Jagex development team is now working on.

"A lot of the content will change," he said, "a lot of the gameplay will change. Exactly what the game will look and feel like I don't actually know because the guys are working on it as we speak. But we've got that arsenal of lessons and everything else."

This new title will be released within a "meaningful time frame" he added with a smile. At Game Horizon's Best of British event on Wednesday, Simon Seefeldt, the company's head of business development, was more specific, saying Jagex's next game will appear sometime in 2010.

Ending on a positive note, Gerhard said the new MMO's development team has been "galvanized" by the decision that's been taken.

"I've been in the organisation for two years now and I've never seen that team so excited since I joined," he said.

"They've spent years of toil on this and never quite got there, and now the entire team, sees what the plans are to change and what the new game will be. There's a real buzz in that studio, which is fantastic. The guys are doing an incredible job of bringing this to market."

Discuss.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Oops. I'll post this there. You'd think after 5 years on this forum I'd know better. :oops:

Could a mod lock this?

Don't request lock, request a move.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Well, at the very least, Jagex didn't scrap their ideas.

I wonder what will they create in the future?

*goes back to playing Runescape* for now.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Let me give you guys the low down of what I've learned. Don't listen to websites like that; all they look for is a hot article.

Mechscapeworld was given a live Q and A of Mechscape exactly 1 week ago with Mod MMG and another Mod (Spaceone, or Mod Flash on funorb). We were told that they had replanned the idea of Mechscape, and decided to rebuild it from the ground up with all the technology they have come upon while creating it. So to answer all the hub hub of this forums overload title, no it has not been canceled. Don't slip into what someone else says, and read into everything so profoundly.

Stellar Dawn is mechscape. Stellar Dawn will be released in 2010. Stellar Dawn is the second MMO by Jagex. Forget mechscape, and remember the name Stellar Dawn.

Edit:

I'll even throw in the live Q and A link. http://www.mechscapeworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9997

Stellactic.gif

Really? They just scraped the game so close to release just like that? Wasn't expecting that at all...the again, the release date kept getting pushed back every time it got close to being out. At least they didn't release it knowing it wasn't up to standards.

Sleep on...fly on.

In your mind, you can fly.

Gigatiran.png

Wow, I sorta hate Jagex now. All that build up about mechscape, even a Q&A about it and they just throw it away like a candy wrapper.

Hopefully this new game will make up for this, but talk about anti-climactic...

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/decision-to-cancel-mechscape-costs-jagex-tens-of-millions

Sorry if this has been posted already/if this is in the wrong area!

Socc.png

Socc | 99 Magic | 95/99 Range | 99 Defence | 99 Hitpoints | 96/99 Summoning |Join SODB for some monster Slayin! |

I would just like to clarify that MechScape as a project hasn't been canceled but rather the name and has been renamed Stellar Dawn. Stellar Dawn is still going ahead and if you read in the article, is the new project (or game) that we're working towards.

Just to clarify, MechScape hasn't been canceled but has been reborn under Stellar Dawn which we are now working on.

Although, other than what I've said, I don't have any more information that I can give.

Timbo

Quote from Mod Timbo on the forums.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I don't understand why everyone is yelling "CANCELED!!!!!" when they just said they're changing it a lot from what it is now, which means that it will be delayed. DELAY does not mean CANCEL.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Although delay is the first step to cancelling... yes, it has not been cancelled (yet). It all sounds quite weird. They're in their late stages of development and suddenly discover that it ain't good.

Although delay is the first step to cancelling... yes, it has not been cancelled (yet). It all sounds quite weird. They're in their late stages of development and suddenly discover that it ain't good.

Delay isn't always the first step on the road the cancellation. Look at Blizzard, for example; Starcraft 2 has been delayed for years now, but its still definitely going to come out. I'm just happy Jagex is really focusing on creating a quality game.

Also, I personally don't think its that weird to see this kind of thing happen. It's only in the late stages of development that a game is actually starting to be playable as the consumer would play it. They probably had a lot of great ideas that didn't really mesh and ended up creating less-than-stellar experience.

It was upon playing the full experience they realised it wasn't what they wanted it to be.

I already knew this for a few days, from MS world, but I didn't realise the scope of it until now. It really gives me great faith in Jagex though <3 Seeing them being able to sacrifice this much because they want to make it the best it can be is truly admirable.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Delay isn't always the first step on the road the cancellation. Look at Blizzard, for example; Starcraft 2 has been delayed for years now, but its still definitely going to come out. I'm just happy Jagex is really focusing on creating a quality game.

Also, I personally don't think its that weird to see this kind of thing happen. It's only in the late stages of development that a game is actually starting to be playable as the consumer would play it. They probably had a lot of great ideas that didn't really mesh and ended up creating less-than-stellar experience.

No, no, certainly not always, but cancellation is just more likely now. That's all I ment to say.

"Decision to cancel MechScape costs Jagex "tens of millions"

That is the title of the article from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/decision-to-cancel-mechscape-costs-jagex-tens-of-millions. If you are ragging on those who said it was cancelled, please shut up. That is what the article said, and although it still may be coming out, what they had WAS FRIKKEN CANCELED.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]