GJ09: Best UK Dev goes to...

Wingless

Fable sucks, GTA is the same thing over and over again. Jagex deserved this.

I know I will get flamed for saying this.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. I prefer Fable's dynamic combat training to RuneScape's grind. A game should be fun to play, not so boring you're forced to watch YouTube videos while going back to the game screen every five minutes.
I went to the site to vote for jagex, but then i saw the company that made Fable and voted for them. Fable and Fable 2 are both some of the best games in the world atm.
:thumbup:
Because Jagex has a very large computer-oriented player base, while GTA and Fable both are playable only on consoles, and by default would not have as large of a population on the internet willing to vote as Jagex. And even if they were computer based, Runescape is more or less free of charge, while GTA and fable require a console and a fifty dollar purchase; they have a larger player base by default.

In any case, I do not believe that Jagex is deserving of this reward; they have consistently introduced unbalanced, poorly implemented updates that do little to prove their competence as developers. Granted, I have noticed a significant change in the quality of their updates as of late, but certainly not deserving of a reward of any kind. But that's just my cynical opinion. ^^

I agree with this fully. I don't believe Jagex deserves this over, say, Lionhead Studios.

Just because Jagex won the award does not mean they were the best UK game developer. They received more votes, but popularity does not prove superiority. Sadly, this is one case in which quantity won over quality.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the site to vote for jagex, but then i saw the company that made Fable and voted for them. Fable and Fable 2 are both some of the best games in the world atm.

I didn't like Fable when I played it... I've never tried Fable 2, but I assume it is the same general idea. I might try the first one again some day, though.

Good games are made fun of in mass. World of Warcraft is a tremendous example. The fact is, Runescape has attracted more people into playing than any other free MMO and has somehow managed to keep enough of those players playing for enough years with enough passion to establish fantastic communities like tip.it. Why? I don't know. It might possibly be because it's a good game. Live with it.

If this vote was solely between Runescape and other Free/browser MMORPGs, then the total player base would more or less be an accurate assesment of the quality of game design. But again, that's not the case, for reasons just quoted above me.

And let me repeat, no one is arguing the Runescape is a poor game. All that the opposition is saying is Jagex did not deserve to win this award. That's it.

I think you're missing the point here. Runescape is the most creatively made game out of all of those, it has broken boundaries of game programming that none of the others have come close to achieving, which is why the developers (and not the game itself) won the award.

Well, that's your opinion.

And let me repeat, no one is arguing the Runescape is a poor game. All that the opposition is saying is Jagex did not deserve to win this award. That's it.

It actually looks as though a lot of people are. But the question of whether or not Jagex deserved to win the award is based on opinion, so nobody here is wrong. In my case, I feel they did deserve it, but as I said, I didn't really like Fable and GTA got boring fast.

*looks at above posts again*

All this is subjective. Whether there is a best game or not, it is up to all the players to decide. It is not factual, and you guys are treating it like one.

That being said, this poll is based on quantity, and it tells us that Jagex owns the most popular game. If it's a quality poll, I would say they deserve it as well, seeing that Runescape is my favorite game atm.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

It's a skewed vote, the voting was done online, so an online game company won. Not to take away from Jagex, but if voting was accessible via ps3 or xbox, the result would have been much different.

Sleep on...fly on.

In your mind, you can fly.

Gigatiran.png

It's a skewed vote, the voting was done online, so an online game company won. Not to take away from Jagex, but if voting was accessible via ps3 or xbox, the result would have been much different.

Perhaps RuneScape isn't better than those games on Xbox and PS3, though I'm wondering why Blizzard didn't win the award, since both are on comparable terms. Having Jagex win the award gives me the satisfaction that I'm paying less for a better game. :thumbsup:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I noticed a lot of people commenting on why people laugh at Runescape and other such games. It's just simply that they're MMOs and are known for their time consuming nature. True gamers play on skill and not on repetetiveness. This can be argued by WoWs arena system, but that's about the only MMO that requires any such skill, and the game as whole will still be laughed at.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Perhaps RuneScape isn't better than those games on Xbox and PS3, though I'm wondering why Blizzard didn't win the award, since both are on comparable terms. Having Jagex win the award gives me the satisfaction that I'm paying less for a better game. :thumbsup:

You're paying less for a game that got more votes.

It's not a better game in the slightest, WoW > Runescape. However, WoW requires so much time, makes you log on at certain times to raid, makes you concentrate the entire time you're playing. Runescape is chilled, afkable, satisfying and lets you play in your own time for however long you like. For this fact I'd give em a vote for creating an awesome game, and can understand why they got the votes.

Then perhaps WOW isn't that great of a game then? Everyone's definition of good and bad games differs from each other. To me, the "chilled, afkable, satisfying and lets you play in your own time for however long you like" deserves a win more than a game that can seriously hinder my personal life.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

You're paying less for a game that got more votes.

It's not a better game in the slightest, WoW > Runescape. However, WoW requires so much time, makes you log on at certain times to raid, makes you concentrate the entire time you're playing. Runescape is chilled, afkable, satisfying and lets you play in your own time for however long you like. For this fact I'd give em a vote for creating an awesome game, and can understand why they got the votes.

Then perhaps WOW isn't that great of a game then? Everyone's definition of good and bad games differs from each other. To me, the "chilled, afkable, satisfying and lets you play in your own time for however long you like" deserves a win more than a game that can seriously hinder my personal life.

Apologies, I assumed this topic turned into a talk about WoW, so I removed my post because I could see it was a relation with Runescape to other UK developed games. Apologies again.

I agree with you on your point, and I said that in my initial post also.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Exactly. As I said before, whether a game is good or not, it is all subjective.

Gosh, I wish these kind of flame wars stop coming up in these topics...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Exactly. As I said before, whether a game is good or not, it is all subjective.

Gosh, I wish these kind of flame wars stop coming up in these topics...

And since all the candidates of this competition knows that quantity counts for a win, a few MMORPGs including RuneScape are in the best position to win. Considering this, if RuneScape or any other MMORPG didn't win, then they must suck really, REALY BAD to lose to those console games right? We can then start a discussion on whether it's still worth the time and money to play this game that you've already spent a good few months, or even years on.

There must be some redeeming factors of RuneScape that encourages players to even bother clicking the mouse to vote once or many many times.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

http://www.gamespot.com/webonly/rpg/runescape/index.html?tag=result;title;0

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html?tag=result;title;0

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft/index.html?tag=result;title;1

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofduty4modernwarfare/index.html?tag=result;title;0

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/counterstrikesource/index.html?tag=result;title;1

No, good games don't get made fun of. I already addressed the WoW issue. People make fun of it because south park did an episode with stereotypical video games nerds. Nobody is laughing at the graphics of WoW or the customer support or the massive grinding so you can wear a cape.

I think you're missing the point here. Runescape is the most creatively made game out of all of those, it has broken boundaries of game programming that none of the others have come close to achieving, which is why the developers (and not the game itself) won the award. We all know graphics shouldn't be important for the enjoyability of a game, and yes, people do laugh at WoW because you have to grind so much.

In terms of programming, unless you are only considering the Java language(and even then this is pushing it), Runescape has broken no boundaries in the slightest. When the majority of video-games are not programmed in C++, or derivatives of it, then you can come back and say that. To further add to this fact, Jagexs' Runescape have also not been, to any recent knowledge, mentioned in the main article on any given day in any major video-game magazine(i.e.: 1up.com, gamasutra.com, IGN.com, etc...)ever, or intermediate article(the articles on the front page, but below the main article for the day).

Now for the next bolded part...

In terms of grinding, that is actually a place where WoW has the upper-hand compared to Runescape. If you do a breakdown of grinding on a per skill basis, as well as a exp basis, Runescape loses in that regard very badly. If I were to start a new account on both games, with prior knowledge, the easiest 99 to obtain would be fletching and if I were to average about 2-6 hours a day for about a month, assuming 4-5 days a week, I would reach the max level in WoW. Using those numbers, I wouldn't be able to get halfway to 99 fletching, this is under the assumption that all gathering is done by the individual.

In regards to the award itself....

Yes, beings as Jagex made mention of the contest several times on their site it would indeed skew any data that was gathered, the generally accepted margin of error for most polls is ~5%, but I am under the assumption that it was greater than ~10%-15%. Now, how could it be skewed that much? Well, there are several factors:

1. Jagex is a company that mainly resides in the online world

2. It would seem that the main players that Jagex were up against were mainly console developers(which already enhances the disparity).

3. Once a game is released on a console there is usually no more interaction on behalf of the developers & gamers alike, people going to visit the site of a console developer is extremely rare unless you count companies like SquareEnix and Ubisoft. If you are lucky, the only other interaction a buyer will have with the developer is through a possible review, which usually appears on gamefaqs.com (to the person who said the developers could communicate via Xbox Live...this is not a viable interest as not only would they have to divert resources to program something for it to occur, and that is just the Xbox itself, but Xbox live is also behind a paywall which makes it economically unfeasible. It would have been less ignorant to make mention of the PS3 as it is not behind a paywall of any sort(not playing console favorites here).)

4. (this one is 2-3 compressed) In general, with awards such as these things like customer service, quality of the games from each developer, responsiveness to feedback, etc...

5. Beings as all video-game developers were lumped into a single category it created an automatic disparity that was, beings as it was online, in favor of the online companies. It would have been far better to have two categories for the award: offline and online.

On an overall basis Jagex by no means deserved the award, but you know what they say about "popular" vote ---> ruled by the majority.

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

IMO, if the vote is a pure popularity contest, then the award should be named "Most Popular UK Dev" instead of "Best UK Dev".

YMMV.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Blizzard may have won it, if it wasn't limited to the UK. Blizzard is American.

If all you guys seem to like other games over Runescape then why aren't you on their fansites or something? :unsure: (not that I want to discourage you from here) :P

Jagex have put a lot of work into their game, and deserve recognition. Console games get a lot of credit, and when it comes to MMOs, WOW is just a popularity [bleep], Jagex don't get enough recognition IMO and I think they rightly deserve it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

If all you guys seem to like other games over Runescape then why aren't you on their fansites or something? :unsure: (not that I want to discourage you from here) :P

Jagex have put a lot of work into their game, and deserve recognition. Console games get a lot of credit, and when it comes to MMOs, WOW is just a popularity [bleep], Jagex don't get enough recognition IMO and I think they rightly deserve it.

Since other forums dont have forum games, a gallery, off topic (some do) and other awesome stuff (some people know what im talkin bout ;) )

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Even in a milder and inversal form, I would expect better than the "Well if you hate it so much, why do you play?" argument from a moderator.

They do get recongition; if not from awards, than from the fanbase who supports them. But, they just don't deserve this particular recongition. That's it.

Even in a milder and inversal form, I would expect better than the "Well if you hate it so much, why do you play?" argument from a moderator.

They do get recongition; if not from awards, than from the fanbase who supports them. But, they just don't deserve this particular recongition. That's it.

Sorry, I'm not very inventive when it comes to arguments and debates like this. :P

You may be right to some extent, but if you listen to quite a lot of the fan base you'd hear a lot more 'OMG JAGEX SUCK', but that's an entirely different thread. I just think they do deserve the award. They've put a lot of hard work into the game and Runescape is one of the definitive MMO games.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Sorry, I'm not very inventive when it comes to arguments and debates like this. :P

You may be right to some extent, but if you listen to quite a lot of the fan base you'd hear a lot more 'OMG JAGEX SUCK', but that's an entirely different thread. I just think they do deserve the award. They've put a lot of hard work into the game and Runescape is one of the definitive MMO games.

I disagree, but we're at the point of either "they're awesome enough to get it" or "they're not awesome enough to get it". So I respect your opinion, even though I don't agree with it. :P

To another 10 years of (semi-) excellence!

Thing is, everytime you go to play RS you read the homepage for updates, so everyone could easily see Jagex asking for votes. I'm not very experienced with WoW, but I think there is no such system in there. If anything, they would do an announcement in game or something, but that would mean players would have to alt-tab, and most people are far too lazy to alt-tab in the middle of their game.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Thing is, everytime you go to play RS you read the homepage for updates, so everyone could easily see Jagex asking for votes. I'm not very experienced with WoW, but I think there is no such system in there. If anything, they would do an announcement in game or something, but that would mean players would have to alt-tab, and most people are far too lazy to alt-tab in the middle of their game.

Blizzard also wasn't eligible for the award because they are an American developer, and this was a UK contest.

Though I havn't played this year, I'd say Jagex may not have won without the attitude they've shown towards the players this year (eg, with the Video thing, jagex events..).

Also, yeah, the award really isn't about the best dev, rather then who can get the most votes for it..

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Though I havn't played this year, I'd say Jagex may not have won without the attitude they've shown towards the players this year (eg, with the Video thing, jagex events..).

Also, yeah, the award really isn't about the best dev, rather then who can get the most votes for it..

Yeah, if they really wanted the best, they would have had a panel of 'experts'.

Wow, my friend told me this and I thought he was joking. Came here to check and uh, yeah.

I like Runescape, but I feel that Jagex shouldn't have won over Rockstar North* and/or Media Molecule. Both of those developers have developed games that are just beyond Runescape in many ways. But hey, it was a voting contest and Jagex won, so good for them I guess. They have a bigger fanbase than I thought they did. I just don't agree with the results.

* = GTA4 was mediocre but the Episodes make up for it several times over