GJ09: Best UK Dev goes to...

Wingless

One of the surprises of the show was who you lot named Best UK Developer. The gong didn't go to Rockstar North for GTA, or Lionhead for Fable or even Codemasters or Media Molecule. Nope, the best UK dev went to Jagex.

While the name might not immediately ring any bells, it's the studio behind the incredibly popular free-to-play MMO RuneScape. In fact it hold a Guinness World Record for the world's most popular free MMO. Not surprised any more are you?

Source:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226383

Looks like Jagex won this year.

Well, congrats and kudos to them.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they did won indeed ;).

"Amiqus Game Developer of the year. Third is Lionhead studios, second is Rockstar North and first, controversially is Jagex, creators of Runescape. A big cheer from their table there. That's what happens when you've got a massive voting fanbase!"

Congrats on Jagex winning, I knew Runescape would be voted enough for it to be the winner. :D

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Chances are the majority of the votes on the site, the 1.2M votes, were probably from RuneScape players... :thumbup:

Yah, good thing too. Also proves that all the whiny idiot pkers on the rants forums and all the people that hate Jagex because they didn't come out with an update they wanted are a minority.

And before "Jagex riled up their players, that's unfair", what exactly prevented GTA, Fable, et al, from doing the same?

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

And before "Jagex riled up their players, that's unfair", what exactly prevented GTA, Fable, et al, from doing the same?

Because Jagex has a very large computer-oriented player base, while GTA and Fable both are playable only on consoles, and by default would not have as large of a population on the internet willing to vote as Jagex. And even if they were computer based, Runescape is more or less free of charge, while GTA and fable require a console and a fifty dollar purchase; they have a larger player base by default.

In any case, I do not believe that Jagex is deserving of this reward; they have consistently introduced unbalanced, poorly implemented updates that do little to prove their competence as developers. Granted, I have noticed a significant change in the quality of their updates as of late, but certainly not deserving of a reward of any kind. But that's just my cynical opinion. ^^

Jagex beat the creators of Fable and GTA? :blink: Surprising, a pleasant one that is.

Gratz to them. :thumbup:

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

wow, this thread ISNT a flamefest already? :blink: Gratz to Jagex, but the reason they won is simple. they had more people on the internet as is, and with a frontpage link to vote for them.....

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Jagex is pretty impressive. I mean, look at the scale of Runescape. It is an utterly massive game, and yet in runs smoothly in a browser-based java applet. And, as the GJ folks pointed out, it is the world's most popular free MMORPG.

In any case, I do not believe that Jagex is deserving of this reward; they have consistently introduced unbalanced, poorly implemented updates that do little to prove their competence as developers. Granted, I have noticed a significant change in the quality of their updates as of late, but certainly not deserving of a reward of any kind. But that's just my cynical opinion. ^^

Update quality has improved quite a bit in recent months. Jagex is doing a really good job of paying attention to player feedback--hence the string of high-level updates and storyline-continuation quests in lieu of a new minigame every other month. Even if there were a couple misses (Woodcutting rebalance, ugh, that was the epitome of lameness), for the most part I'm happy with how things are being handled.

Not a shocker for something determined by internet voting. You can play AND vote at the same time, and it's probably a nice break for you not to have to look at the game while your character repeatedly chops a tree.

Feel like others are more deserving but hey, you'll take them however you win them right?

KingJD36.png

Jagex is pretty impressive. I mean, look at the scale of Runescape. It is an utterly massive game, and yet in runs smoothly in a browser-based java applet. And, as the GJ folks pointed out, it is the world's most popular free MMORPG.

Update quality has improved quite a bit in recent months. Jagex is doing a really good job of paying attention to player feedback--hence the string of high-level updates and storyline-continuation quests in lieu of a new minigame every other month. Even if there were a couple misses (Woodcutting rebalance, ugh, that was the epitome of lameness), for the most part I'm happy with how things are being handled.

It is hardly "Utterly massive." It is, in fact, rather small even compared to some single player RPG games.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It is hardly "Utterly massive." It is, in fact, rather small even compared to some single player RPG games.

Note the fact that you said Single Player, rather than 150,000 at once player.

Stellactic.gif