Hegemony Argument Thread

archimage_a

Archi, I believe I've sent you fleet specs a while ago. I'll update them sometime soon.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except I still have to make sense of that ubering.

Dusty, you were the person complaining how sending millions of people into battles was stupid. Now people are saying 'I fire cataclysmic energies at you' and unlike shields the planets haven't 'upgraded'.

That coil gun fires at a planet and it is kaput.

Its not hard, just be reasonable with your weapons and then my life is easier and I don't have to mess around trying to show how 'Hey, that weapon will blow up a planet'

I was complaining because the logistics of it were impossible. The whole game is built around building bigger and badder toys, though.

I agree it's kind of stupid that everyone thinks their stuff is unbeatable, but that's [bleep]ing human nature.

You want a system where people accept it as universal truth so there's no arguing. But there will always be arguing, especially since this all text/imagination based, and all our ideas are different and we don't have a game engine that forces us to play a certain way.

He did it before about the virus argument. :thumbsup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Except I still have to make sense of that ubering.

Dusty, you were the person complaining how sending millions of people into battles was stupid. Now people are saying 'I fire cataclysmic energies at you' and unlike shields the planets haven't 'upgraded'.

That coil gun fires at a planet and it is kaput.

Its not hard, just be reasonable with your weapons and then my life is easier and I don't have to mess around trying to show how 'Hey, that weapon will blow up a planet'

I was complaining because the logistics of it were impossible. The whole game is built around building bigger and badder toys, though.

I agree it's kind of stupid that everyone thinks their stuff is unbeatable, but that's [bleep]ing human nature.

You want a system where people accept it as universal truth so there's no arguing. But there will always be arguing, especially since this all text/imagination based, and all our ideas are different and we don't have a game engine that forces us to play a certain way.

Just for the record I know my things are not unbeatable they just take a slightly unorthodox defense... On topic while I agree that there will always be arguments on the thread I think we can have several systems. One would be the pp system. Another would be the monetary system in which if you have a sufficent number of shipyards and cash you can build whatever the hell you want. The third... Well I havent thought of a third yet.

LNYvk.png

I think it's necessary. The more we argue about it and continue playing at the same time, the bigger hole we have to climb out of when we finish digging.

The thing about having a standardised system means that players will be equal and it will be roughly balanced. WIthout a standardised system, once player culd create 10,000 battleships and think that it isn't that much, wheras another player could think that is way too much in too little time.

We either get more creativity and less balancing, or less creativity and more balancing. Thats just the way things work. I'd love to say I have a solution, but I do not. If anybody else does, applause are in order.

2Xeo5.png

I'm adverse to the money concept. If you have tons of money and a mob of people, there's still a limit as to how much that mob of people can do.

I'm adverse to the money concept. If you have tons of money and a mob of people, there's still a limit as to how much that mob of people can do.

Yes there is a limit but it also takes time for the ships to be built under that system. However also that system accounts for the resources you do not buy yourselves and instead import (it takes down the cost of the ship but not its build time).

LNYvk.png

I think it's necessary. The more we argue about it and continue playing at the same time, the bigger hole we have to climb out of when we finish digging.

A mod's duty is not to lock a thread to 'sort out arguments' its to lock a thread if its got innapropriate material in. If people are supposedly digging themselves deeper they should still sort the argument out themselves. I don't understand what makes it more civil arguing in a seperate thread.

Locking a thread and making people use another thread is first of all symbolic. You could just ask people stop playing the game for a bit, but oh wait. Its falador tavern and its more people.

Now, if its mob rule a lot of people will choose the opinion of whoever gets the first suggestion, unless someone bigger makes another suggestion.

meatlover.png

I don't want to stop the arguments. I want to know what on earth is going on.

I agree with Ross, we can bury our heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem, there is, and the problem is that no one has the faintest idea what is going on, at least not outside their own Empire.

Course the irony is that if what I say is true then Hegemony can carry on without the thread actually being open.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Look. All I want you to do is send me the stats(Its 1 number each) of your weapons and armour, and in the future tell me how much armour and how many weapons you have on said ship. Its not like I am asking you to understand some scientific theorem, I am asking you to give me numbers (By PM if you so wish) and so far only 2 people have done that. What does that say about communication on Hegemony?

I'm sending my stats tomorrow. I have to go for the night.

----------------

Also, my ships are still based on the PP system. I thought that was simplest. Can you give me a baseline for a battleship so I can work from there?

Well, the armor varies, and I really have no idea on the power of my lasers/weapons. How would I rank a missile to steel destroyed or whatever?

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Good point.

Missiles go on how big the explosion would be. Big explosions cost more.

Take a wild stab with the lasers and armour. Or just tell me how long you have been researching them and I will make some sort of conversion for that.

(I was thinking of stealing the Galactic Civialisation system of 3 types of weapon(Lasers, Missiles and Railguns) and 3 types of defence(Shields, ECM and Armour))

Well, when I was calculating how much my larger warships would weigh I gave them 3m thick tungsten armor. I'll work on lasers and weapons.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I'm not sure how it would work, maybe it could be based on density? I know steel can be as low as 7.8g/cc density wise, while tungsten is 19g/cc. Titanium is only 4.5 g/cc also.

EDIT: Then again, gold is around 19 too but it wouldn't be as good an armor as tungsten.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Well I am guessing you are using an alloy (A mix of materials) so maybe we could just use a short list of metal types, which are more or less expensive, weight less(or more) and of proportionally more or less protection.

I would prefer just to go with some nice numbers than to develop a theory(for obvouis reasons)

Doom, could you possibly send me the stats of your standard battleship and their old PP cost? I'm going to substitute in my own weapons and armor (Coilguns and Iridium Monopole Plating) to reflect the differences in our ships. I'm just horrible at taking a stab at things (I either make it that a missle could blow up a planet or a bullet couldn't shoot through a mushroom(

Hey Hex, guess what? No one gives a damn about your opinion because you don't even play any more.

yay! The forum gets filled up with hege-crap.

Because I quit it doesn't mean Hege-crap doesn't affect me.

No-one had a problem with one thread or no IRC but seriously, start up your own forum and get off tipit.

I was logged in on my phone but couldn't resist owning Rocco, but yeh. I've still quit tipit.

meatlover.png