Old Curses VS New Curses

Kalafai

Perhaps, rather than using sap prayers, or leeching, we should look back to the orriginal spellbook.

I mean, really, when was the last time a strategy guide favoured vulnerability, or enfeeble. Or that entire range of spells that reduces stat %

Granted, they started off useless. Who's gonna notice a 5% attack drop on a giant spider.

But then again, who wouldn't notice a 10% defense drop on a boss such as the corp beast or jad, or a general?

Consider such, and please please, don't repeat the following drivel as every magic topic seems to get: "-___----~~~*** OMG, MAGAKE TOO EXSPENSIVE!!!!_)$34232~! "

The thing is you only need 1 of the spells to hit and to do that most of the boss monsters you need a hefty mage attack, and then you'd need to change to your ideal set up to kill the boss. It's really just a hassle, when you can click 1 little curse icon and it'll do it for you.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

Well I think the main advantage to the new curses are the lack of necessity for runes. Most people don't want to waste 3 inventory spaces on spells that require a "hit" to work, which is most affective when wearing armor with a positive mage bonus. Now you can tack on draining the opponent's prayer to prayers that depending on your activity, you would most likely use anyway.

With that said, I think that a revamp of the modern spellbook might be a good idea, but in terms of practicality, the new curses allow for a much better window of opportunity.

Qp cape achieved 2/17/08, 99 strength achieved 7/8/09, 99 attack achieved 5/28/10, 99 hitpoints achieved 8/22/10

Rskellington.png

The thing is you only need 1 of the spells to hit and to do that most of the boss monsters you need a hefty mage attack, and then you'd need to change to your ideal set up to kill the boss. It's really just a hassle, when you can click 1 little curse icon and it'll do it for you.

This.

Plus the fact that unlike other MMORPGs with shortcut keys for multiple skill moves, you have to rely on that one magic spellbook interface for all your execution of moves. Whle checking your inventory tab and prayer tab.

Plus the fact that magic curses uses yet another rune, body/soul depending on your level, that's one more inventory space taken up. That's if you're maging all the way, and have the other necessary runes.

Plus the fact that even for normal monsters, players are complaining that using a rock hammer on every gargoyle is troublesome, who would bother using curses on your 190 Abyssal demon task?

Plus the fact that even if you want to cast curse spells on every monster you fight, in particular the ones that lowers defence. With an average melee setup, you'll already be ripping through the defence of most monsters in the game. No one has done a test on whether the magic curses speed up tasks, In fact, I think that 190 curse casts on 190 monster in a task can in fact slow down your task, since 190 magic spells equates to what, 380 whip hits? I can kill so much more monsters in that amount of hits.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Boss monsters have far too high magic defence so that it'd be useful to use magic curses at them. You'd have to cast them endlessly before dealing succesful one. Jagex should change them to hit 100%, maybe with requirement to have positive magic attack bonus while doing so.

Back in rs classic the curses were used to even the playing field against high level pkers.(it sapped their pots and lowered their skill to your potted skill) In classic you could cast magic while still fighting with melee and not loosing a turn in battle. But in RS2 curses cuase you to loose that turn of battle and slows down your fighting and have become worthless in terms of being useful other then gaining xp. I could see the the soul rune curses being used at multi-combat boss monsters 2 spots on everyone isnt going hurt the trip.(no one should be using 3 spots when we have combo runes). The start of each fight all members of the group cast a predermined spell on the NPC each member casts twice should be enough for someone to hit it and lower the attack str and def.

Plus the fact that even for normal monsters, players are complaining that using a rock hammer on every gargoyle is troublesome, who would bother using curses on your 190 Abyssal demon task?

*raises hand*

old curses are definitely useful on some monsters

Abyssal demons for example, have some of the WORST magic defence in the world, and thus you will almost never splash in them, even in full bandos/barrows

their melee defence on the other hand is very substantial.

Stack on the fact that the curse could cause you or the demon to teleport, and you save yourself the trouble of running to the demon.

And suddenly you have a use for curse spells, albeit a circumstantial use

Naaxi.png

Not a lot to say. The spells seem like they might be useful if you aren't using Vengeance. I mean 10% is similar to 2/3 of someone's Super Strength, right?

This is pertinent and may be useful:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Spell_costs/Normal_Magic#Curse_spells

Maybe the old and new curses would be useful in conjunction?

2dgucz6.png

I've used vulnerability to do barrows before it was fairly effective while i prayed chivalry in hybrid clothes. I meleed and the only one who gave me trouble was verac.

but my stats are low so its massive successes were due to me actually being able to hit them with melee.

Not a lot to say. The spells seem like they might be useful if you aren't using Vengeance. I mean 10% is similar to 2/3 of someone's Super Strength, right?

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Spell_costs/Normal_Magic#Curse_spells

The prayer curses are invisible and the magic curses require stat restores to fix. But do they stack together if used on the same target?

The prayer curses are invisible and the magic curses require stat restores to fix. But do they stack together if used on the same target?

I should think so, and precisely because of the reasons you just mentioned. It's the same thing as Void or Prayer stacking with potions, just this time we are taking away instead of adding to.

2dgucz6.png