Ice strykerwyrms and the removal of the Fire cape requirement

tortilliachp

They're just worried their profits will drop from a few more people being able to get the Staff of Light. :rolleyes:

And MEP2 only needs to be started to access Dark Beasts. But let's face it, they're pretty crap as slayer monsters go and before Within the Light/Kuradal nobody wanted them ask a task that much because of the hassle of having to take Mourners Gear with you, or fiddle around with the Temple of Light through the Abyss.. Especially before Summoning and BOBs.

To many of you who are replying: I maintain what I said in my first post: there are proxy arguments that are the root of the whole discussion. This is not really about being able to kill the icye wyrm or not, it's about the direction Jagex are moving in. that's what terrifies people: the fact that the gameplay they enjoy the most might not be the type of gameplay that Jagex intend to focus on in the future. It's so much more important to those with higher levels, as they are the ones with most time invested in the game, just as pkers are the ones with most time invested in pvp-style activities.

This argument is about something bigger than the icy wyrms: it's about what some deem their right to participate in all content because of skill levels, where others feel that quests and other requirements should be a prerequisite to many things. If the new kingly implings (which are arguably very profitable when you come across them on your travels accross Gielinor) required a quest, I bet there'd be the exact same uproar, maybe even more if it was related to the more common dragon imps.

this issue is so important to so many people because they're talking about a single issue, and thinking about the future of the game, and large new portions of game-content. That's threatening if you have 200+ days of ingame time.

From what has been said, Jagex never inteded this to be an issue where you had to do extra content to access some skill based content. They simply thought that the fire and ice elements fit is cosmologically. You people are making giant mountains out of molehills. Also, you people clearly have no idea what the actual basis for the compromise was. You simply want to blame the "whiners."

Did the "whiners" get what they wanted? Yes.

Were the whiners the reason for the change? No.

People aren't mad that the whiners got their way. They're mad that they didn't get their own.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what has been said, Jagex never inteded this to be an issue where you had to do extra content to access some skill based content. They simply thought that the fire and ice elements fit is cosmologically. You people are making giant mountains out of molehills. Also, you people clearly have no idea what the actual basis for the compromise was. You simply want to blame the "whiners."

People aren't mad that the whiners got their way. They're mad that they didn't get their own.

I don't trust the public image of Jagex. They appear to have no control over what they implement in their game if their image is based on the whole truth. They appear to have no in-game understanding, and no control over the probably effects of updates. It would be complete haphazard luck that runescape is still even about. No, I think " we never intended it that way" is a very convenient excuse for avoiding the fact that you made a massive mistake. Jagex have a history of not admitting to major mistakes, with a few exceptions. It's just too convenient. Had they said what they intended before it all went wrong, that would be something completely different. going by "your personal relationship" with a Mod, he/she han no clue about the disabilitiy issues. Luckily, some mod must be understanding what he/she is doing, and ensuring that things are done mostly right.

Just look at some of the Q&A answers on the effect of merchanting clans and their price manipulation "that isn't manipulation at all".

I don't trust the public image of Jagex. They appear to have no control over what they implement in their game if their image is based on the whole truth. They appear to have no in-game understanding, and no control over the probably effects of updates. It would be complete haphazard luck that runescape is still even about. No, I think " we never intended it that way" is a very convenient excuse for avoiding the fact that you made a massive mistake. Jagex have a history of not admitting to major mistakes, with a few exceptions. It's just too convenient. Had they said what they intended before it all went wrong, that would be something completely different. going by "your personal relationship" with a Mod, he/she han no clue about the disabilitiy issues. Luckily, some mod must be understanding what he/she is doing, and ensuring that things are done mostly right.

Just look at some of the Q&A answers on the effect of merchanting clans and their price manipulation "that isn't manipulation at all".

I will not argue against the idea that Jagex is filled with a fair amount of ignorance. I would simply like to say that in my opion it's mostly innocent ignorance.

As far as that "relationship," I'm merely friends with a Mod who has been there for a long time and I've known for a long while as well, since Classic at least. I broached the subject and he told me that they were caught off guard by the response of the Fire Cape stuff. They thought it fit in well. They realyl didn't think that disabled, connectivity, etc would be an issue people would fuss about. I'll grant you that you'd have to have a certain amount of foolishness at this point to think that.

He also said that if they changed it, which at the time we spoke wasn't decided, that they *knew* what the backlash would be then.

Now as anyone on here will tell you, I don't trust Jagex as a whole, but for this Mod, I believe what he tells me when he gives his opinion.

I don't think greed is the motive here.

Jagex is a company who publishes a highly popular game. They are dependent on the people that play their game. They naturally want to please as many as possible. And they simply made the decision that a modification of the original requirements would please as many people as possible or give as many people as possible an enjoyable gaming experience.

Jagex isn't out there to destroy your gaming experience. It might happen sometimes because they make a decision which they think is for the best. And then it turns out it doesn't match the sensibilities of a particular individual. That's life. Jagex doesn't on purpose go against your wishes. The individual isn't part of the equation here.

The feedback they received convinced Jagex that maybe it would be better to adjust the requirements. That is really all there is to it.

And as you can see in some of the previous posts, this is a structural event. Jagex does change requirements, stats and rewards of the content of runescape in order to create a better gaming experience for most. This may mean indeed that for some the gaming experience doesn't improve, but I think we should appreciate the effort Jagex is actually putting into the game on improving the game.

This game isn't the game I played 4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago or even last year.

Slayer has changed so radically that people can't even imagine any more how I was training the skill when it just came out. No familiars. No smoking kills. No slayer ring. No slayer helmet. No nothing. I didn't even have guthans till I had 80 slayer. I went to the magic training area in order to learn to be able to do the bones to peaches spell. Guthans was unaffordable for me at that point in time.

Now you are labeled a n00b if you don't power slay in the proper gear.

Modern slaying has nothing to do with the original slaying experience. And isn't it much better nowadays? When I started slaying I knew for sure that 99 slaying was an impossible goal for me. Yet the constant updating from Jagex made it all so much easier, faster and a more pleasant experience!

So let us all just assume that Jagex is implementing these modifications or content for the common good. I think they have gotten it mostly right in the past with their modifications of content. And if not, adapting to new circumstances is what gives this game its longevity for me. It's not the same game any more I played when I joined.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

To many of you who are replying: I maintain what I said in my first post: there are proxy arguments that are the root of the whole discussion. This is not really about being able to kill the icye wyrm or not, it's about the direction Jagex are moving in. that's what terrifies people: the fact that the gameplay they enjoy the most might not be the type of gameplay that Jagex intend to focus on in the future. It's so much more important to those with higher levels, as they are the ones with most time invested in the game, just as pkers are the ones with most time invested in pvp-style activities.

This argument is about something bigger than the icy wyrms: it's about what some deem their right to participate in all content because of skill levels, where others feel that quests and other requirements should be a prerequisite to many things. [....]

this issue is so important to so many people because they're talking about a single issue, and thinking about the future of the game, and large new portions of game-content. That's threatening if you have 200+ days of ingame time.

And this is where my interest lies... Does Jagex want to focus on players with fast "gaming" reflexes or do they support dedication?

Does anyone remember the Nintendo "Game and Watch" series of hand-held consoles released in the early 80's? My parents wouldn't buy me one any more than they would buy me a full Nintendo console! lol

My pre-teen gaming experience was limited to "you can have just-one-go in the lunch hour because you don't have a console to trade...." My teenage years saw me play the highly-challenging game of Termite on a Microbee Series3? During my university years I discovered puzzle-solving PC games such as 7th Guest and Myst. Never, during those years, did I develop the "gaming" skills that video games provide and thus, as an adult find myself totally unable to acquire:

1) A quest cape. I just can't do Summer's End.

2) A fire cape. If I can't do Summer's End, what hope do I have in the Fight Cave?! lol

3) Karamja gloves(3). If I can't do the Caves, how on earth can I win a pvp pit?!

I am resigned to the idea that the game of Runescape, with its high end content isn't quite the click-and-it-happens experience that I thought I signed up for as a noob.... I can and still will (with far too much dedication! lol) achieve much in the game, but there will always be some things that are out of my reach as I am not the wholistic player that Jagex is rewarding with the highest content.

What I do wonder though, is what demographic are Jagex pitching their future content to? The point-and-click, non-video-gaming type such as myself? Or players who are as adept on their modern video consoles as they are in a mmorpg? Do I still have something to look forward to with the gaming experience I signed up for? Or must I experience frustration and not-enjoyment as I learn to play in a new style?

I will not argue against the idea that Jagex is filled with a fair amount of ignorance. I would simply like to say that in my opion it's mostly innocent ignorance.

As far as that "relationship," I'm merely friends with a Mod who has been there for a long time and I've known for a long while as well, since Classic at least. I broached the subject and he told me that they were caught off guard by the response of the Fire Cape stuff. They thought it fit in well. They realyl didn't think that disabled, connectivity, etc would be an issue people would fuss about. I'll grant you that you'd have to have a certain amount of foolishness at this point to think that.

He also said that if they changed it, which at the time we spoke wasn't decided, that they *knew* what the backlash would be then.

Now as anyone on here will tell you, I don't trust Jagex as a whole, but for this Mod, I believe what he tells me when he gives his opinion.

So disabled people have not been able to complete jad for years

but no ones cares until now.

Sounds like greed is a major motive here.

A compromise I couldve lived with, is having different animations for jads attacks and/or not letting him attack you till hes visible on the screen.

Yeah. Well, it was just one of those things that I knew I'd never be able to do. I don't have a problem with it. I have no problem missing bits of content like that, but when they are chaining up content I could do on one thing I can't, then yeah, it can be a little weary.

So unless I find someone I can completely trust, and willing to break one of their rules, something I dn't mind actually, and let them do a few things for me I can't, I won't be doing Jad, Nomad, etc. for a while.

They were stupid to say they were comparing the SoL to something like a GS because that meant people would think that they should be equally difficult to get. Jagex not only shoots themselves in the foot, they walk around in trash with the infected wound then pour salt on it.

They were stupid to say they were comparing the SoL to something like a GS because that meant people would think that they should be equally difficult to get. Jagex not only shoots themselves in the foot, they walk around in trash with the infected wound then pour salt on it.

My GS was really easy to get. I just put a load of GP into the GE and hopla.

I was the owner of a GS. No effort required.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Well, if that's the case, they soon will be equally difficult to obtain by simply buying them.

People thinking that they should be comparably equal in difficulty of obtaining them as a drop though sucked.

Well, if that's the case, they soon will be equally difficult to obtain by simply buying them.

People thinking that they should be comparably equal in difficulty of obtaining them as a drop though sucked.

should something of similar value not be of comparable difficulty?

Otherwise doesnt it outdate the more difficult one?

I don't really find them comparable, but that's just me. Also, my quote in your sig has a typographical error.

should something of similar value not be of comparable difficulty?

Otherwise doesnt it outdate the more difficult one?

I don't really find them comparable, but that's just me. Also, my quote in your sig has a typographical error.

at least to the stuff from zammy amd bandos boss. but what did i mess up on your quote?

The word "their."