Ice strykerwyrms and the removal of the Fire cape requirement

tortilliachp

With the introduction of the Elite Ardougne Achievements diary, Jagex allowed for development in new and exciting directions; for the very first content was released that would be playable only to the very masters of the game, to those relentlessly patient few who have meticulously trained most skills to exceptional levels. Those who were elite in the eyes of Jagex. The reception on the Runescape official forums, and right here in the tip.it community were astoundingly, and refreshingly positive. Even though only a fraction of the community could enjoy the content, the community as a whole saluted Jagex for reassuringly and resoundingly proclaiming Runescape is the Jagex future. How could we believe that Runescape was to be the main focus of a company if they were designing a new, large game?

Companies all have public faces, and spokesmen who project an image of the company onto the community, an impenetrable public relations façade users are not meant to see beyond. Yes they claimed Runescape would live for ever, but with a new game in the makings, did we believe them? Should we have believed them before they showed, through affirmative action in releasing elite content, that Runescapes future was secured? With 2010 being the year of awesome we were right to be sceptical through the end of 2009, as Jagex have continued projecting a rosy-red Public image improbable if not impossibly the truth. That, however, is an analysis worthy of an article to itself. Runescape is to flourish in the future, with challenges to all, also the elite few.

This new and exciting direction for Runescape, launched in 2009 has shown the very best of the new Jagex under new leadership; skills have received very much needed high-level updates, most significant of which is arguably the high level herblore update. How Jagex released this content, and tellingly how they removed the use of extreme potions from pvp worlds and bounty hunter is vital in understanding the ideology in Cambridge.

The brilliance of Jagex at its finest was shown in the update, and dealing with it. In rendering the potions created at higher levels untradeable, lower level content was not made easier overnight, other than for those who have invested millions of coins, or long hours to developing their herblore levels: The lessons from the smithing skill were learned. Looking back on my first Runescape memories from 2003, Jagex were taken aback with the success of its game. Enthusiastic posts with new records of players online simultaneously spurred new game servers; Jagex was simply unprepared for success, and the longevity of the game was not of primary concern. What if smithing was only useful to a handful of players, the rest relying on a few suppliers for their armour and weapon needs? No problem, others will be herblorists supplying the smiths and others with the potions they require. Niche players was the game demographic, nobody was expected to be a do it yourself player. However, Runescape is now a happy ten-yearold moving quickly towards its arduous and rebellious teens. How will Jagex, as sole parent, cope? As any other tween, Runescape has to reinvent itself. It has needed that for quite some time, where the niche player has completed her goals. What lies beyond the horizon? Little, level 99 is the maximum either way.

The ingenious solution of the herblore update in 2009, where everyone is forced to do it themselves, is a showcase and industry necessity for MMORPGs to keep up with their clientele. Looking at the rise in price of herblore-related items, and the vitalization of a stagnating Runescape economy, the update was a resounding success from day 1. However, requiring the do it yourself aspect to stand any chance in PvP situations was too tall an order. It would alienate almost all those who relish in PvP situations from participating in their favourite gameplay within runescape. Here the crucial question is: How could Jagex release a game-changing piece of content with such a fatal flaw?

This question leads to a critical observation in understanding all elite content being released in Runescape: developing elite content is something completely new to the Jagex staff. They need experience in making this content, and they have to experiment to get it right. Releasing such inherently flawed content as the extreme potions is a guarantee that the learning curve at Jagex HQ is steep.

This learning curve made another two-fold jump with the release of Ice Strykerwyrms and their Fire cape requirement. We players learn the attitudes of Jagex through game updates and actions, rather than the fine words of the year of awesome. Similarly, the lessons Jagex learn are obviously important, also to discuss and interpret. But how do we analyse the future of the game and what Jagex true plan and aim for the game are? This is where the relentless and important community discussion has its place. Why did Jagex introduce the fire cape requirement in the first place? We cannot know, yet we can examine the likely possibilities.

If Jagex showed a wish to integrate high levelled requirements from many skills and areas into elite content, this content is truly elite. It is not a question merely of hours played, skills grinded to astounding degrees, the content is for elite players, those proficient within all areas of the game. In the words of the Ugthanki kebab, this option looks scrummy! A new dimension would be added to the game. Currently almost all the highscores show an excessive amount of time required in attaining top rankings, multiple times the experience required for any in-game benefits, thousands of pointless hours at mini games with minimal reward, the sole exception here seems to be duelling tournaments. This is maybe the only area where skill currently determines who tops the highscores.

With only one area of prowess to officially determine those with clicking skills, deep understanding of strategy in PvP situations, was not slayer a perfect candidate for releasing content requiring more prowess, rather than large amounts of free time and admirable persistency? This is where a second interpretation of why Jagex chose to change the requirement comes in, one, in the words of the Kebab, that tasted a bit dodgy. You feel a bit ill. This regards a common attitude held by the cynical that Jagex are populist, and have simply caved in to the demands of a small minority of ranters on the official forums. This should indeed worry us if it were the case. However, it is highly unlikely that it is.

How can we know that Jagex have not simply caved in to the ranters? If they caved in once, without other motives, the happy spelunking in a gigantic cave system would be ruined. Once the first cave falls, no other cave is safe, and staying with this metaphor, how do we know that Jagex has secured its mine of a game, developed over a decade, avoiding divine intervention as the one we players experience in Blood runs deep? We know because they have not caved before, even though the pressure has been immense, and the economy of Jagex has been at stake, which was the case with the anti-Real World Trading campaign. Believing Jagex have caved in is a destructive attitude leading to further ranting on the official forums. Jagex have become professional over time, we still remember the development of their now superficial public relations image which is invariably in touch with the harsh reality of the business world.

As Jagex did not fold their hand to the ranters, why did remove the fire cape requirement for ice strykerwyrms? The official position and the cause of most of the rants on the official Runescape forums, have led a rationale of mobility and accessibility. The fight caves are almost impossible to the hearing impaired, to those with motion disabilities. Further, to those with restrictive internet connections, prayer switching has always been hard, it has been rendered almost impossible by the 0.6 second delay (one in game time unit) Jagex implemented to avoid so-called prayer flashing as an effective money saver. Does Jagex feel this balancing fix hits the disabled and internet impaired unnecessarily hard? That would be jaw-droppingly surprising if it were true. Jagex must have known about these issues for a substantial period of time, again, why would they release flawed content they knew they wished to change? A professional company wouldnt, so Jagex didnt. No, there must have been other factors in play. Another vital question to ask is: why have the disability and accessibility challenges of Runescape not been explored on the official Runescape forums previously? Why is this new with the Ice Strykerwyrm update? Unsurprisingly, it is a question of economy.

Money makes the world go around, well, coins makes Gielinor recognizable and predictable. As politics ran run into an issue, economics has run into the strykerwyrm update and the fire cape requirement. Just as high levelled rune crafters complained at the recent multiple rune update devaluing their quite literally precious money-making abilities, high level slayers are not too concerned about the direction Runescape is headed, rather they are concerned about money. Everyone the Author has asked about a more integrating direction of high-level Runescape has quickly warmed to the idea and embraced it. This direction really does look Scrummy! to high levelled players, as it ensures further enjoyment in their spare time of Runescape without growing tired of a game with no further challenges and goals.

Naturally, those striving towards higher slayer levels, who believe themselves unable to attain the coveted fire cape, have wished for the requirement to be changed. Accessibility and mobility reasons given have largely been proxy-arguments for the reality of the matter: Although unable to get the fire cape, we want a piece of the light staff profit. What a preposterous and discerning claim! Some of you might exclaim contemptuously, however the argument is strongly embedded in reality.

The telling reasons for the economic motifs in the discussion require a historic perspective, as all contextual analysis does. In the release of the fire cape itself, there were next to no complaints about the high difficulty of the mini game. There was an overall understanding that only a certain few deserved the fire cape, it should remain exclusive, Runescape had taken a turn away from repetitive boredom as the only way of showing off fancy equipment. new frontiers were ready for the taking, but Jagex didnt follow this type of equipment up. Further underscoring the economic motif is the lack of rants at the release of the much forgotten Rogues Den mini game. Here clicking ability reached new heights as a requirement for the illusively rare rewards. The release of Sorceress Garden warranted little complaint and the recent release of Nomads Requiem was hardly debated either, even though this was the ultimate integration of boss fighting and questing on the highest level. Why was there no uproar similar to the ice-wyrm fire cape revolt? There was no money involved.

As is often the case (economics and understatement go hand in hand), whenever someone is posed to loose out on profit, someone else is gaining. The opposing argument has largely been that a fire cape requirement fosters much needed exclusivity in the high-end of slayer. This has also been a front for own economic interests to a large degree; however this is where the interesting position of Jagex re-enters the now more detailed picture.

What is Jagex economic motif for removing the fire cape requirement? The light staff cannot serve its mage-friendly task of stabilizing parts of the combat triangle unless it is accessible. It cannot be accessible unless its exclusivity does not put it in the hand of merchants, just as the blessed spirit shields with sigils remain too exclusive to benefit the masses, especially in pvp combat. The effects in pvp of the much needed damage-reducing qualities of the spirit shields quickly balance over-hitting Armadyl Godswords and Dragon Claw specials. Jagex learns from its past mistakes, and so the staff of light is to be accessible to many, it is not to be another item ready for manipulation by merchanting clans. The limitation of the fire cape amongst those with 93 slayer or more was something Jagex did not foresee in strangling the already bottle-necked supply of light staves.

Without a clear, honest public relations team at Jagex HQ, Jagex proxy-arguments will continue to shock the Runescape community, as their impact seem profoundly negative in comparison to the small calculation mistakes Jagex occasionally need to correct. Why honesty is sacrificed for image is something that will confront Andrew, Paul, Mod MMG in the future. The danger of projecting an image, is that others perceive you by that image and most often the real thing is less xenophobic to a knowledgeable community as the Runescape community clearly is in affairs regarding Gielinor.

In removing the fire-cape requirement, Jagex did not cave in to rants of a small minority on the forums. Initially releasing the requirement is much more telling on Jagex behalf, and I can only hope further skill, quest and clicking skill activities are the future of elite content within the game. So should you.

(I posted this on the original forum topic, and on the tip,it times topic for the 21st of February, it was also submitted to the tip.it times this weekend. I feel this is an outlook many may wish to see, and the other postings got little response. )

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting analysis and I agree with the conclusion that money drives the ranters. If the ice wyrms only had crappy drops, there would be no uproar and no debate.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

There is already a thread about this with the exact same post....

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

hence this little notice:

(I posted this on the original forum topic, and on the tip,it times topic for the 21st of February, it was also submitted to the tip.it times this weekend. I feel this is an outlook many may wish to see, and the other postings got little response. )

after thinking about it, i figured i could give it its own topic, as few people seem to have read it other places.

Fight Caves should have its own rewards, separate and apart from the main content of the game. Same for all the other minigames.

It just smacks of Jagex trying to generate artificial interest in these areas of the game.

If Jagex wants to tack Jad 2.0 onto the end of FC and bump up the rewards, that's great. I salute you all. Even you freaks who find ways to kill it with chickens & frying pans.

But let's keep the split-second & lag-free requirements off to the side. Twitching should be voluntary, not mainline.

And contrary to the longwinded post by the thread originator, it's not about money for me. I don't have the "gold rush" mentality that the rest of you do, nor do I particularly need the coinage. Trust me on that one.

I have grumbled to myself about Nomad, because he's another part of the game I won't be doing. But again, it's not about money.

I feel like Jean-Luc Picard in "First Contact":

They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!

Nomad left me uneasy, but I gritted my teeth and resigned myself to it. The Fire Cape requirement set off the alarm bells.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The thing is, I think they are trying to do several things.

1.) Make a slayer monster which has a harder req. outside of a quest.

2.) Make these monsters more exclusive, as well as the drop.

3.) Reward those who slay.

I don't really think they are just trying to pump up fight caves.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Fight Caves should have its own rewards, separate and apart from the main content of the game. Same for all the other minigames.

It just smacks of Jagex trying to generate artificial interest in these areas of the game.

In the case of the Fight Caves, I disagree with Jagex' definition of a minigame. I would consider it to be more of a miniquest.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

From what I've seen of the discussions (especially the one on RSOF) this situation seems to boil down to this:

Those with firecapes are being protectionist because they don't want to see their cash cow disappear.

Those without firecapes are being whiny because they don't see it as fair that they can't cash in on said windfall.

I know that this isn't everyone on both sides, but as a general rule this is what people are saying.

Me, myself have the 93+ slayer but don't have a firecape. I really don't care weather Jagex changes the requirement. If they do, fine, if they don't I'll do fight caves.

newge4.png

If Jagex wants to tack Jad 2.0 onto the end of FC and bump up the rewards, that's great. I salute you all. Even you freaks who find ways to kill it with chickens & frying pans.

But let's keep the split-second & lag-free requirements off to the side. Twitching should be voluntary, not mainline.

And contrary to the longwinded post by the thread originator, it's not about money for me. I don't have the "gold rush" mentality that the rest of you do, nor do I particularly need the coinage. Trust me on that one.

I have grumbled to myself about Nomad, because he's another part of the game I won't be doing. But again, it's not about money.

I feel like Jean-Luc Picard in "First Contact":

They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!

Nomad left me uneasy, but I gritted my teeth and resigned myself to it. The Fire Cape requirement set off the alarm bells.

lolwut...

Why should minigames have their own "separate" rewards? You realize several of the rewards of those minigames affect the "main content of the game". Are you seriously complaining that Jagex is trying to be more creative? (until they caved in...) Rather than the typical grinding requirements the game is filled with.

Also, what the hell is "artificial interest". What exactly does that mean? Most of the people who claim to "don't want" the Fire Cape CAN'T get it. I'm sure there is a lot of content in the game that doesn't interest everyone WITHOUT any good rewards. In that case, RS is jampacked with artificial interest!

If it's not about the "coinage", what is the attraction to these monsters? Are you just buying into the hype of new content or something?

A lot of people demand high level content but what the hell is the point when Jagex caves in and nerf the requirements a while later...

Swaggers.png

well written post. can't say i disagreed.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I like the idea of high level do-it-yourself awards to the game as well.

The herblore extreme potions was for me a stimulation to raise my herblore. I wouldn't have bothered if I could just have purchased the extreme potions.

Similarly I have had the same idea for slayer already for years. They shouldn't just release very high level slayer monsters with rather exotic requirements. What Jagex should actually have done is create a drop that is only available to high level slayers and is untradeable. Compare it to the extreme potions in herblore. It could be slayer arrows that drop from high lvl slayer monsters and can only be used by high level slayers, a weapon, runes, slayer summoning charms, or fill in whatever you fancy.

The idea is however that the items are not tradeable, but on the other hand rather useful. I guess we have seen one such drop recently, that is the ferocious ring. An enormously useful piece of equipment, only available to slayer who slay in kuradal dungeon. It has two very nice properties, the teleport and the +4 damage.

It is something I would like to see expanded for other skills as well. Let their be general benefits to skills, but also let people who spend a lot of time on a skill have specific benefits.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

"twitching" was still voluntary

you werent FORCED to do that task.

Its like complaining that twitching is requred because you need fast reflexes in Soloing Bosses or even in teams of the harder bosses

No one is forcing you into GWD or corp beast, just like your not forced ot kill ice wyrmes

This is exactly what this post is about. If it didnt have a good reward you wouldnt be complaining. Its not about the twitching its about the fact people like you think drops should be handed to you. (yes you said otherwise but i dont buy it sorry) :thumbdown:

Sorry, but you are dead wrong.

Skill milestones should not have minigames as a prerequisite.

GWD & corp beast (neither of which I can do on dial-up, BTW) have rewards I can never dream of. Never complained, never will.

But if you prefer to engage in a straw man's fallacy, by all means go ahead. ;)

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

From what I've seen of the discussions (especially the one on RSOF) this situation seems to boil down to this:

Those with firecapes are being protectionist because they don't want to see their cash cow disappear.

Those without firecapes are being whiny because they don't see it as fair that they can't cash in on said windfall.

I know that this isn't everyone on both sides, but as a general rule this is what people are saying.

Me, myself have the 93+ slayer but don't have a firecape. I really don't care weather Jagex changes the requirement. If they do, fine, if they don't I'll do fight caves.

I must disagree with you somewhat. I think the majority of those with Strykewyrms don't worry about the money. They simply don't want people to have it any easier than they did. I kind of think of it as the Nomad clause. The reason why people didn't want to see Nomad get changed was not because they were debating if he was too hard. They had killed him while hye was hard and they were darned if they'd let anyone do it easier.

I think the same applies to Strykewyrms.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I must disagree with you somewhat. I think the majority of those with Strykewyrms don't worry about the money. They simply don't want people to have it any easier than they did. I kind of think of it as the Nomad clause. The reason why people didn't want to see Nomad get changed was not because they were debating if he was too hard. They had killed him while hye was hard and they were darned if they'd let anyone do it easier.

I agree. The game is largely driven by competition amongst the peer community; any advantage over counterparts is seen as a victory to many. Exclusivity is the highest prize.

stormveritas.png

I agree. The game is largely driven by competition amongst the peer community; any advantage over counterparts is seen as a victory to many. Exclusivity is the highest prize.

And I think people should spend a little more time worrying about themselves and what they can do instead of what other people can do. Funny thing is that people with Fire Capes have a decent advantage over people without. Had this been done to begin with, it wouldn't have been an issue.

"twitching" was still voluntary

you werent FORCED to do that task.

Its like complaining that twitching is requred because you need fast reflexes in Soloing Bosses or even in teams of the harder bosses

No one is forcing you into GWD or corp beast, just like your not forced ot kill ice wyrmes

This is exactly what this post is about. If it didnt have a good reward you wouldnt be complaining. Its not about the twitching its about the fact people like you think drops should be handed to you. (yes you said otherwise but i dont buy it sorry) :thumbdown:

Skill milestones should not have minigames as a prerequisite.

But if you prefer to engage in a straw man's fallacy, by all means go ahead. ;)

Did I hear the word 'should'? Since when is this a law carved in stone tablet? Talk about fallacy... <_<

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Just to be sure: Did Jagex remove to fire cape requirement to those ice wyrms, or not? Coudn't see a hint about it in the official site, but from some of the posts here it seem that Jagex did removed the requirement.

In topic: For a start, I must admit: I suck at fight caves. I find it nearly impossible that I will ever gain a firecape. To get a mare chance I will need dozens of "training" fights against Jad, but I really dont have the time to invest hours of playing just to reach every single training fight.

But inspite of all that, I can't blame Jagex for placing that requirement. Wyrms as a rule are a kind of a "bonus task", not a must that makes your progression at rs to halt if you cant do them. The whole concept of giving extra, "bonus" kind tasks, missions and training ways that are different then the old grind-grind-grind way is excellent, and makes rs as a whole much more worthwile. It might be unfair if I would be actually given an Ice worm task that I can not do - but as it's not the case, Jagex has every right to give a prize for those who completed a hard challange. The fact that im not one of those few doesnt make any difference.

in kuradals dungeon ferocious ring affects deflect hits turning a measly 1 into a 5, will the fire cape +4 affect cannon?

it was updated so that the ring doesnt affect deflect hits anymore

i doubt they would make the fire cape affect the cannon

Naaxi.png

Just to be sure: Did Jagex remove to fire cape requirement to those ice wyrms, or not? Coudn't see a hint about it in the official site, but from some of the posts here it seem that Jagex did removed the requirement.

In topic: For a start, I must admit: I suck at fight caves. I find it nearly impossible that I will ever gain a firecape. To get a mare chance I will need dozens of "training" fights against Jad, but I really dont have the time to invest hours of playing just to reach every single training fight.

But inspite of all that, I can't blame Jagex for placing that requirement. Wyrms as a rule are a kind of a "bonus task", not a must that makes your progression at rs to halt if you cant do them. The whole concept of giving extra, "bonus" kind tasks, missions and training ways that are different then the old grind-grind-grind way is excellent, and makes rs as a whole much more worthwile. It might be unfair if I would be actually given an Ice worm task that I can not do - but as it's not the case, Jagex has every right to give a prize for those who completed a hard challange. The fact that im not one of those few doesnt make any difference.

The compromise has not been implemented yet. It will be in the future.

Hyldrick, here's the tip that really helped me, would help you, and probably would help anyone who actually wants to tackle the Caves without getting to Jad just to "practice":

Go to YouTube.

Search for Jad + Ult Combo

Follow his VERY helpful guides (including the Jad one that basically allows you to practice prayer-switching since the video can be clicked without stopping it). Do this for several minutes, and you'll already have built a new level of confidence. Trust me. I just wish I'd found this before attempting the caves several times already!

Regarding the original post, I found it very insightful. Thank you for the read. I, too, hope that Jagex will continue to include rewards that overlap various aspects and skills of the game. I find the notion that they should always remain separate to be kind of silly.

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

the positive feedback is very flattering. much appreciated!

If you have a topic you want an article on, I'm sure I could figure something similar out, which I would of course send to the tip.it times

an aspect i found i didn't cover is how the new skill might fit into the "integration direction" Jagex is taking, or not. Obviously the new skill will determine the direction the game develops in, and as with all major content release, the game may develop significantly, or as the case with construction, hardly have any long-term effects. With expanded banks, with more room, all the other aspects of the skill could be implemented as different household objects to fill the empty and unused houses and areas all over the game. Jagex have, after all, admitted that most new quests and activities can easily activate areas that are inactive and barren today.

Considereing then the implementation of burners next to altars in churches, rather than a house with a dedicated room, easels and banner stands, combat rings in the shady basements of pubs, quite frankly, the implementation of construction could have been excecuted much more dynamically, as a natural part of the game. But that was not to be, and it could never be, because of the runescape economy. Jagex desperately needed a money-sink. Construction was their solution, which was a shame.

So as we can see, construction could have integrated and activated unused parts of the existing game. will the new skill? I sincerely hope so, but if the newly released peninsula in the wilderness is not part of a major quest, I think we are looking at another wasted opportunity. Jagex have already said the new skill will not be costly. What other reasons could there be not to integrate the game further? I see few possibilities, none of which are realistic, do you?

Good quality Youtube video with in-game sound of TzTok-Jad fight (Minimize this window)+Runescape game at a altar (Minimize this also):

Train...

You don't have to get to Jad to actually train on fighting him.