Dagannoth King Guide (AOW discussion)

oddfaery2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here's a little update to Oddfaery2's guide. Granted the majority of his guide is very good, there are now (through countless trips to Kings that Oddfaery2 and myself have made) methods that are better and easier, although more risky if by the off chance you should die. But if you're atleast somewhat experienced there you shouldn't die. And that is who this update is targeted towards.

****READ THIS FIRST!*****

Going to Dagannoth Kings using this method requires you to take high priced armor into a dangerous place. Do NOT use this method if you are not atleast somewhat comfortable at Dagannoth Kings!!

Ok first lets talk about what you're going to be wearing. Your equipped armor/weapon should look like the following;

DagKingEquip.png

**ITEMS**

Platebody: Guthan's Platebody

Platelegs: Guthan's Chainskirt

Weapon: Slayer's Staff

Helmet: Guthan's Helm

Gloves: Barrows/Gauntlets

Amulet: Amulet of Glory (Used to teleport to a bank after using your Ectophial to teleport out of the King's Lair.)

Shield: Granite Shield

Boots: Mystic/Magic Boots

Cape: Any God Cape (Legends/Obsidian cape can be put in place of the God cape if needed)

Ring: Ring Of Life **OR** Ring Of Wealth

Wearing this equipment will provide you with very high range defence, which you will need as, done right, your main source of damage will be from the level 76s that surround the outside of the Dagannoth King Lair.

Now let's move onto your inventory;

DagKingInventory.png

**ITEMS**

1) Runes to cast a good amount of Magic Dart spells (I take 750 personaly, but you may need to alter how many you take based on how long you can last there before having to leave to replenish your materials)

2) 3 - (4) dose SUPER Anti Poison pots

3) 12-14 - (4) dose Prayer potions (May need to alter your Prayer/Food ratio depending on how well you do there)

4) Guthan's Warspear

5) Crystal Bow

6) Ectophial (If you do not have an Ectophial then fill that slot with an extra Prayer pot or Shark.)

7) About 50 Laws and some Air runes (Used for Telegrab. Explained later)

**NOTE** You many use Saradomin Brews and Super Restore pots instead of Prayers. (When I use Brews/Restores I take 4-6 Brews and 10-15 Super Restores). This offers more food if you get into trouble but does cost more. With my stats (Picture posted below) I last well over an hour using this inventory. Granted that my Guthan heals me well (Explained later).

**NOTE** If you're going with just you and one other, one of you can bring one rune throwing axe. So when you get to the door supports have the person with the axe use the SPECIAL on one of the doors that you can hit. The axe's special is it hits multiple targets within a close range. So you guessed it, it will hit the door you throw it at AND your door so you both can get in. ;)

Now since this update is intended for people who are comfortable at the Dagannoth Kings I'll just skip over how to get there and move straight into fighting the Kings.

When you first enter the Dagannoth King Lair have some members of your team go in a few seconds (2-3 at the most) early and run and grab Rex's attention, luring him to the safe spot mentioned in Oddfaery'2 guide. Make sure to turn MAGE protect on BEFORE entering! You will ALWAYS pray against MAGIC! Have the person that enters first COMPLETELY ignore Prime and Surpreme, head right to Rex. Now your 2nd wave of team mates should enter with their Guthan's Warspear equipped. They should now kill Surpreme ONCE (Once you have killed him once you will IGNORE him the rest of the trip).

Now that Surpreme is dead run to the spots mentioned in Oddfaery2's guide to kill Prime and help your first team mate finish off Rex (if they have not already done so). You're main consern using this method is Rex. Use Slayer Dart and stand using the safe spot and kill Rex. Since you are wearing Guthan your Range Attack Bonus will be very low. So consentrate on Rex for the majority of your time there, and only range Prime inbetween Rex spawns.

If you begin to get low on health STOP attacking Rex and wait for him to direct his attention to another member of your team. Now move around the SOUTH EAST ONLY section of the circular room and attack the level 76s that surround the room by the water's edge. Healing on them using your Guthan.

HealingKings.png

Do NOT get too close to Surpreme or he WILL notice you and start attacking (Which you should be mage praying so that would be a VERY bad thing). Now if Rex has died and you're still not healed you can now move to the section of the room where Rex was standing (keeping along the edge, and make sure not to get too close to Surpreme at this end of the Lair either) healing on the level 76s. ONLY use your food that you brought as a "last resort" method as that will keep you fighting the Kings the longest.

Once healed if Rex has not yet respawned equip your Crystal bow and begin ranging Prime. Like stated above since you're wearing Guthan your Range Attack Bonus isn't exactly all that high. So only work on killing Prime while waiting for Rex to spawn. That way you're not just standing there wasting Prayer. When you do eventually kill Prime TELEGRAB the drop. Do NOT run out to get the drop as I promise you Surpreme will notice you and start to attack you. Which is a very bad thing as he can hit in the high 20s quite often. Once Rex spawns again use the method mentioned in Oddfaery2's guide to lure him to his safe spot and cast Magic Dart on him until he is dead. Rex is VERY weak to magic so even with a -20+ Magic Attack Bonus (which is roughly what you'll have wearing this) you will still hit well on Rex.

If you use this method you should be able to stay down there a good while based on your stats. With my current stats;

DagKingStats.png

I can last well over an hour using this method. My longest trip is one hour and thirty minutes (give or take, I wasn't exactly timing myself) with just Oddfaery2 and myself using this method. It's very effective if done correctly.

Drops so far using this method: 4 Berzerker rings, 1 Dragon axe and 1 Mud battlestaff.

Hope this helps, I'll add and update this as I think of things.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

nice tactics guys.

Would just like say a few things....if u dont mind:) U mentioned that the first guy to enter the lair lures rex away from the ladder and that the second wave of ppl immediatly goes for supreme. Id just like to point out that if u are dealing with a "two team" situation both players are forced to fo for supreme straight away. The situation can get really messy even when you are meleeing supreme without rex around, but if rex joins the party you can easily get hit with high 20s and low 30s for a good 10-15secs( if ur unlucky :P). Wht seems to help a little bit is positioning supreme in between oneself and and ones teamate. When supreme is sandwiched he tends to turn around a lot without firing his arrows. Added bonus- rex cant hit both with the same swing. But even if u position urself idealy its still risky. One person can easily die, a little bit of lag here, a little bit of panic there and its all over. So if u are duo-ing daggies with ur guthans it might be wise to protect item untill supreme is dead. A good idea as well is to use the specs on dds ( which u take instead of the rune throw axe lets say :=P ) to make supreme die a lil bit quicker.

But if have more teameates then one i think its more effecient killwise to bring only one mage.

THIS IS FOR 3-4PPl TEAMS: The other two or three ppl should range prime as a priority..... tht means ranger boots, barrows gloves, karils tops and bottoms ( and thts all besides the full guthan) and a range pot ( really suggest at least one zammy brew as it is a def pot and 3 sharks in one...odd will sell them to u for 5k ea). If u dont have the guthan i suggest a barrow helm besides this( best is verac, then torag, last dharok). Shark drops are frequent so usually there is nothing to worry about. But +90 range is a must for this i think. If ur range lvl is lower thn this its super useful to have guthans on u...if u dont have that, replace karils bottom with some barrows melee legs( u need a dds and a shield if no guthans)

Well the gameplan is the following- after mage lures rex and the rest of the team comes in they all, as metallica said go for supreme. After supreme dies they swich to their bows and put ranging clothes on to get prime. As prime dies, supreme spawns and as supreme dies prime spawns.. and so on. Becasue u are running around constantly the little fellas(lvl 70s) are hitting u a lot less then they would if u would be standing still. But the biggest advantage of this tactics is the fact tht rangers are constantly on the move. Constantly killing daggies. They dont wait for the respawn as the mage has to. They get more kills thn the mage can hope for and....well more cash.

However there are three problems with this. First one is deviding loot. ( which is only fair) Second is the rex respawn. If rex spawns in the middle of the room while "rangers" are meleeing supreme it can get very uncomfartable. Rex will often go or move towards someone who is close to his foot patroll area so if the mage doesnt react fast enough and attack him rex will go for the ppl killing supreme. U really absolutely want to avoid tht. I suggest the mage goes really close to rex spawn spot and wait for him there for a second.........and tht he doesnt attack from the distance. Allthough this situations of rex spawning close to "under attacked" supreme are rare, they can be very costly food wise. Not only becasue rex can hit quite hard but becasue if the team runs away from supreme-briefly towards or to the mage spot (which they must do in some situations- when supreme has still full hitpoints or close to it) they loose valuable time. Time they cant afford to loose. And tht is the third problem of this tactics. Between prime s death and prime s spawn there is a limited amount of time, an amount of time which is determinated by the number off ppl playing on tht server. This is why ppl sometimes reffer to worlds as fast or slow. Anywayz, ideal thing would be to adept the meleeing power ur team has to speed of the world. I can give u an estimate for maximum effeciency based on my own experience:

3 PEOPLE TEAM: 1mage,2 rangers/meleers(+120 combat 1.2oo-1.4oo pl)

1mage,2 rangers/meleers(+110 combat 1.ooo-1.2oo pl)

1mage,2 rangers/meleers(+100 combat 9oo-1.ooo pl)

4 PEOPLE TEAM: 1mage,3 rangers/meleers(+120 combat 1.7oo-2.ooo pl)

1mage,3 rangers/meleers(+110 combat 1.5oo-1.7oo pl)

1mage,3 rangers/meleers(+100 combat 1.200-1.4oo pl)

If there is a 5th person wanting as is often the case we usually take 2 mages and 3 rangers. Once again this are the numbers for high effeciency....which means high stress if something goes wrong as well.Try this out on a slow world btw...so u get a hang of it. Its a lot of changing prayers all the time.

i am 99 combat 80 ranged and 86 magic and i go always with 2 friends a 100combat magic 80 and a 103 combat magic 83 but i only can kill one at the time my friends kill there one to so we kill 3 at one trip but should we go with more people? or are we to weak? please help me and the most of the time my frineds die there but we used some othere guids but know we will use your guide i hope it will work much beter :) and i will ask more friends with my that should do it i hope. thanks for the guide and good luck

i go always with my friends a 100combat 80 mage and a 103 combat 83 mage i am 99 combat with 86 mage and 80 ranged so i most range but we can kil 3 kings a at one trip thats not that much what would yoyu advice me? train my skils? or go with more people? but i have only friends just in the 100cb til 110cb not higer so i think we most go with much friends then we can stay a litle longer i think(i hope) but i always used a othere guid but i will use this one now and i hpe it will work. but could we do it with 3 man the 103combat the 100combat and me the 99 combat? how much can we kill then becaus we are just killing them for 3 days so we need lots of information :) thanx

Id just like to point out that if u are dealing with a "two team" situation both players are forced to fo for supreme straight away.

That is simply not the case. I have made several trips (I'd say close to 100, if not more) with teams and with just me and one other (Oddfaery2).

When I go with just Odd I enter the King's lair just about a second or two before Odd. If I completely ignore Prime and Surpreme and run directly to the other side of the room away from Surpreme then he directs his attention to Odd and NOT me. So that leaves me free to distract Rex so he's not beating on Odd while he (Since he's the higher combat level by 7 levels) kills Surpreme.

EDIT:

A good idea as well is to use the specs on dds ( which u take instead of the rune throw axe lets say :=P ) to make supreme die a lil bit quicker.

Just read that. That also wouldn't work as you need the rune throwing axe to get past the door supports. If you are going with just one other it's a must have.

Trust me. Doing what I mentioned about WILL work, aslong as you keep a cool head and dont' panic when Surpreme hits you for a high number when you first enter (which rarely happens with your very high range defence bonus). Out of my trips there I get hit by Surpreme in maybe 1/20 trips. And it's never been for more than around a 23.

EDIT #2:

I suggest the mage goes really close to rex spawn spot and wait for him there for a second.........and tht he doesnt attack from the distance.

Again that is a bad idea. If you are a Mage and are waiting around near the Rex spawn point you will have to worry a LOT about Surpreme noticing you as his roaming area does include the Rex spawn point. If your Melee/Rangers stay along the edge of the King's lair they can attack Surpreme and Range Prime without having to worry about Rex too much. It's a very very small chance that Rex will notice them if they stay along the edge.

If that does happen just have ONE member of the Surpreme killing team run towards Rex's safe spot (like he was maging Rex and was trying to lure him to the safe spot). If the others keep attacking Surpreme then he should just forget about the person that ran away as he'll be more worried about the people still beating on his big green butt. Just make sure the mage stays a good distance away from the ranger that is trying to lure rex until Surpreme leaves the luring ranger alone. Then he may help his ranger team mate lure Rex to his safe spot and things can go as normal.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

heh gotta answer this. Im not gonna argue the entrance tactics...if u guys can pull that off without loosing a shark then respect. But concerning the rune throwing axe and ur claim that a team of 2 cant get pass the barriers without it; that just isnt true. First ur teamate and u open one gate, then they both march to the others- one goes in and prays mage the other runs back and prays melee ( for example). So its not really a must have...a few pray points u save by using it imo really doesnt justify the slot it occupies.

Regarding the mage stading close to rex spawn. My point was not that he should be there waiting for the each single rex spawn. Mage should only do this in the case tht rex will or is likely to spawn while supreme is beeing meleed. And no unfortunatly u cant wait for supreme to come close to the edge, near to waterfront before attacking him.

And yeap i do agree with u...only one member straight to the mage spot:) ANd then even faster back to supreme once rex gets interested in the mage. Wht i usually try to do if im maging is get inbetween the running ranger and rex with melee pray on. Tht usually does the trick and rex stays on me.

On a sidenote: had an amazing day there today. 5 trips, 2 solo muds, 2 sharing muds, 2 axes, beserker, seers. It was untrue :P

• 3 weeks later...
Yay! Thanks for doing this guide, I've been waiting for one.

Good work, too. :)

Looks like fun, I'm gonna go now. World 2, all my lonesome at first... The scout trip may be the beginning of a wonderful adventure.

Maybe a good reason for a new blog! 8)

What an amazingly long, long way you've come.

I remember my first trip (or one of them) with you and Odd.

That was a good starter, but the trips are more fun when you know how to open doors.

EDIT: Sorry if this is considered an "old" bump, but I couldn't resist ressurecting that quote!

• 2 months later...

you probably get this alot but... since ive seen your guide its inspired me to train n gte lvls so i can go to kings like most here without much of a problem.

attack 81

strength 79

defense 79....getting 85 atleast

hp 82.... getting 85+

magic 76

range 77..geting 80+

prayer 54..getting 65

do you, or any other experienced people think id stand a fair chance? i have c bow n other items i just need a good team... any suggestions on what i should get,stat wise?

Nice guide

I have a question....

Where do you end up if you run past the ladder down to Dkings, past a few other dagannoths (I think) and take the ladder at the very end?

Got fire cape at the 17th of June 2006

Abyssal whip drops: 6

the maps on tip.it show a back path goin through the lighthouse, does this work? i kno its longer but theres only meleers on the way so u only need 1 prayer to get there safely. i've never heard anyone use it, wondering why :-k

my site(not much on it yet :p)

Chibois2.gif

Alrighty, now this time I did an hour of Maple trees as test. On top of cutting I got 1 nature spirit (which dropped an Irit seed) and 4 birds nest (2 orage tree seeds, a banana tree seed, and acorn).

I started with:

Skill: Woodcutting | Exp: 1,122,510 | Level: 74 | Exp 'til 75: 87,911

Skill: Firemaking | Exp: 1,676,048 | Level: 78 | Exp 'til 79: 122,760

After one hour I had

Skill: Woodcutting | Exp: 1,153,010 | Level: 74 | Exp 'til 75: 57,411

Skill: Firemaking | Exp: 1,717,223 | Level: 78 | Exp 'til 79: 81,585

Total: I gained 30,500 WC experience and 41,175 Firemaking experience. This gives a grand total of 71,675 overall experience.

Again, as was mentioned, the time I spent burning takes a lot of time out of WC.

With the willows, I spent about 17 minutes 50 seconds burning the logs.

with the maples, I spent about 12 minutes 40 seconds burning the logs.

with the yews, I spent about 7 minutes and 25 seconds burning the logs.

Point being, if you're purely WCing, these rates will change. Assuming the same bank time for each type and that cutting rates were same as I had, it would be roughly:

35.5k xp per hour cutting yews

38.6k xp per hour cutting maples

41.1k xp per hour cutting willows

Well i cut and burned my way from 75 woodcut to 96 and from 65 firemaking to 95. the biggest advantage of yews is... :-k

Peace and quiet, go to Rimmington on a p2p server and most often you are alone. Play with sound and you will hear randoms attacking you, full inventory and trees falling down. Read and write forums while doing it. :D

On the other hand: the lower the level of the tree you cut the more nests per hour. I got a crazy amount of nests (close to a hundred :shock: ) when doing construction with oaks, it also brought me from end level 96 woodcut to 98.

2100+ total 3rd best skiller ever at 99 combat (maybe the best, highest total below 100 cb)

99 Cook 99 Fletch 99 Woodcut 99 Firemaking 99 Range 99 Mage 99 Thief 99 Fish 99 Agility 99 Mining 99 Runecrafting 99 Hp 99 Slayer 99 Smith 99 Hunt 99 Construction 99 Craft 99 Farming

you probably get this alot but... since ive seen your guide its inspired me to train n gte lvls so i can go to kings like most here without much of a problem.

attack 81

strength 79

defense 79....getting 85 atleast

hp 82.... getting 85+

magic 76

range 77..geting 80+

prayer 54..getting 65

do you, or any other experienced people think id stand a fair chance? i have c bow n other items i just need a good team... any suggestions on what i should get,stat wise?

Just get your goals and you'd be fine. Just stay away from Supreme as your combat stats won't be that high to take on a Dag King using melee. :) Just worry about Rexxy and Prime.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Nice drops you got there.

Im currently around 75 kills and my team in total 200+ in about a week, Not bad for us ( mid 90's ).

Our drops are :

2x Archer ring

1x Beserker ring

2x Mudstaff

2x Dragon Woodcutt

3x Seercull

And an archer helm lol

Good luck with future kills.

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

• 3 weeks later...

yoo this guide rocks im going to drag kings soon

if anyone could tell me

78 atk

78 str

78 hp

52 pray

71 defence

Im going as melee'er with experienced team, should i be ok?

we have all done this before

one time i woke up sleeping under my bed with a jello and a spoon lol :ohnoes:

Barrow Items: 31

Le MTA vous poss̮̬̉̉de baiseur de m̮̬̉̉re