IE9

dsavi

So yeah, IE9's major features have been known for a while now, but now it's been previewed and all the rest of it.

Long story short: IE9 moves rendering of a lot of things like fonts and SVG (And I think most HTML rendering, I'm not sure) to the GPU using Direct2D. It also scores a 55/100 on an Acid3 test, does rounded corners with CSS, and supports HTML5 (.h264, naturally).

So this is how the JavaScript test results look:

Screen_shot_2010-03-16_at_2.01.30_PM.png

...Which is all fine and dandy until you realize that with so much stuff moved to the GPU the CPU doesn't have much left to do other than evaluating JavaScript. Which means two things; 1. If Chrome, FF, Safari etc. move processing to the GPU, IE9 will look like it's standing still in comparison, and 2. You're still going to get horrible speeds on older hardware, especially when there is no GPU availible.

As you can tell I'm a huge fan.

C2b6gs7.png

Not really. It still doesn't pass Acid3, but at least the 55/100 score means that at least MS is starting to show that they actually care about web standards.

I haven't used IE as my main browser since 2006, and I'm not going to start again now. Also, a basic graphics card that can handle such is incredibly cheap so nobody really has that excuse unless they're using a laptop or something.

It's a step in the right direction, but they still have a long way to go.

Keel it! Keel it with fire!!

I lost all hope with IE after IE8 would crash with Java, Crash with YT.....Crash with everything. (and I'm on XP still)

I'll stick to Firefox anyday. :thumbup:

Popoto.~<3

I don't think they hate web designers, I think they would like to follow their own standards.

Point being is designers will still have to develop for IE8 (alongside of IE9, Opera, Firefox, Safari) because a large majority of the population uses windows XP. Yeah, it sucks (it's an old OS after all) but it's not hard just to let XP use it.

Funny how Microsoft almost does something right and then [bleep]s it up.

I don't think they hate web designers, I think they would like to follow their own standards.

Point being is designers will still have to develop for IE8 (alongside of IE9, Opera, Firefox, Safari) because a large majority of the population uses windows XP. Yeah, it sucks (it's an old OS after all) but it's not hard just to let XP use it.

Funny how Microsoft almost does something right and then [bleep]s it up.

I know, right? As much as I'm sure Microsoft is dying to see more people move to vista/7 I can't see XP losing it's majority market share till at least 2015...and they should cater regardless.

Friggin Microsoft, last time I actually paid for one of their products was 4 years ago, and I don't plan to go back.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti