Chinese One Child Policy and should it be instated in India?

Faux

No it should not be instated.

When people are educated and provided with contraceptives, they have fewer children without encountering any ethical boundaries or violating any human rights.

Is not that easy, education and protection definitely helps but no way does it prevent the problem completely.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people are educated and provided with contraceptives, they have fewer children without encountering any ethical boundaries or violating any human rights.

Is not that easy, education and protection definitely helps but no way does it prevent the problem completely.

Yes it does, look at the declining population of developed countries.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Yes it does, look at the declining population of developed countries.

To be honest, I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it is, I really doubt they are losing population growth because they are more educated. I mean our(Chinese) average age of having sex is roughly 22 and we still have to instate this kind of restriction to keep afloat.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Not to sound too dark, but I think since nature seems pretty cyclical in most regards and tends to fix itself, before we overpopulate there will be another Bubonic Plague-esque occurrence. Mix in a couple of wars massacring large numbers of people, and if the cures for major diseases were found then just keep them at a very high price so that they would not be available to the common person and we'd be back to a low good number. Now I'm not saying that these things should be provoked, but war and disease as well as corporate greed are always present.

In the end, things will balance if people do not interfere too much.

I can never help but think this. It seems harsh to say stuff like this but it's true. Human nature is an international population control, not to mention natural disasters. We simply don't have enough room on this planet to support the ever growing population, something will balance it out. Either we'll colonise new worlds (highly unlikely in my opinion), there'll be some sort of mass culling, for lack of a better word, or a huge natural disaster; e.g. volcano blots out Sun, global warming finally messing us up, or somethign else entirely. Things will get worse before they get better.

Anyway, kinda back on topic. Shoudl India implement One Child Policy? No, in my opinion, it seems to large a scheme to be implemented efficiently and successfully with the current government.

What effects? Chinese men started taking your american women?

I don't care if they do. I'm just saying there's lots of competition over a single female in China now and days and how is that a good effect?

Thats a problem, but its more cultural based, what are you going to do about it?

Change up the policy? Even though it seems that there simply is going to just be more interracial marriages.

Low birth rates of women in China may be to blame for some 24 million men failing to find a spouse in 2020, according to a report of the Chinese Academy of Social Science (CASS), cited by china.com.cn. More inter-generational marriages with wives being older than their husbands' families will emerge due to a large proportion of men born since the 1980s.

"People's minds have changed a lot during recent twenty years. Young couples don't want to have a second child, or just live a DINK life," said Yan Hua, sociology PHD of CASS.

Some people's preference of wanting a boy to continue the family line also leads to the abortion of girls in rural China, the report said.

http://www.chinadail...ent_9299995.htm

I guess don't be surprised at all by a Chinese men with a Vietnamese female in the future.

Out of China's male marital angst has been born the legend of the perfect wife, who exists in a land not far away for a price not too steep. For RMB 35,000 you, too, can be the proud man standing beside a young, pretty and obedient wife, and all within three months. This promised land is Vietnam and its 'legend' has been the hot topic on almost every major Chinese website and online forum.

Then, rumors that already exist in cyberspace are regurgitated and revamped, to give Chinese men the mistaken impression that Vietnam is in a constant state of upheaval, and that its male to female sex ratio is three to five. Online articles describe it as a land of poverty whose beautiful girls long for a life in China. What's more, marriage agency advertisements magnify Chinese bachelors' desires for a Vietnamese wife. They guarantee the girl will be a virgin, will marry you within three months, and if your bride runs away, they also guarantee a replacement.

Netizen Shen Me Nian Dai also thinks that Chinese girls are too hard to marry. “Chinese girls have such requirements for men, and they no longer value being hard working and kind. So men have to go to Vietnam to find women with these qualities.” Put all this together, and the legend of the perfect Vietnamese wife has not only been born, it is being nurtured.

http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/none/vietnamese-brides-sale-and-chinese-men-are-buying-889067

Mixing up races in the world is okay, less racism imo. But to just think Vietnam is the place to simply get a wife now? I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

They'll probably have to take over other countries just to sustain their population. That's what worries me.

We have an expert human ecologist here. Seriously, what type of reasoning led you to this idea.

That idea is just... ridiculous. Population control, I agree, is desperately needed there. But, using the arguments that you are, USA also needs to apply the same measure. The US is number 1 in consumption of electricity, coal, petroleum and natural gas. The US over sustains it's population.

There are another 2 parts to that video - well worth a watch.

In these parts of the world, culture is very important and people want a male baby to keep the family name - this is one of the reasons China had so many babies (and it is true for India) The idea behind the one child policy is good, and it has been successful in China. The methods about enforcing the rule could have been a bit formal as rules/fines were found to be stricter/more relaxed in certain provinces.

There is a low literacy rate in India. As India is an agriculturist country, most of the people living in the rural part of India are subsistence farmers. These farmers have little or no education at all. They live in large families, sometimes in joint, where four or five children are common. Schools are overcrowded.

What China realised was that if they have half the number of children going to school, they all get a better education as help is more concentrated on the children the country does have. The whole ethos behind it all was to create a very powerful nation, but it has done far more for that for China today. Without the policy, a Malthusian disaster would have certainly been in China's midst, coupled with the fact that building/infrastructure was growing so fast networks were not being built properly. Remember the 2008 Sichuan earthquake? It killed many people due to unsafe building construction - earthquakes are very common too, as Asia is a region of much seismic activity. What i'm trying to say is things would have only got worse for them without the policy.

So i think introducing a similar thing in India would be great, they are already developing serious problems.

What China did well in was the educational, housing and healthcare benefits that came to couples who kept to the policy, and the punishments that came to the same factors if the rule was broken. India would have a hell of a job to do, especially with the millions of people living in slums - there would be no way to control people there.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

They'll probably have to take over other countries just to sustain their population. That's what worries me.

We have an expert human ecologist here. Seriously, what type of reasoning led you to this idea.

That idea is just... ridiculous. Population control, I agree, is desperately needed there. But, using the arguments that you are, USA also needs to apply the same measure. The US is number 1 in consumption of electricity, coal, petroleum and natural gas. The US over sustains it's population.

The concept of countries taking over other territories for resources is that alien to you?

if we rationalize the arguement, each american not born, helps the world more than a person of any other nationality, yes. One american unborn, is equivalent to about 20 indians going by tehir consumption. I think, even with just its 300m population, one child policy in america would have a greater effect than in india and china combined (!)

The us doesn't sustain its population, it has a massive trade deficit, imports 80% of its oil etc. etc. It under-sustains its population to the largest degree in the world. The west isn't too far behind.

isn't that scary?

• 3 weeks later...