Upcoming forum changes!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to see debates merged with general discussion; it has a completely different atmosphere that would just be taken away if it got combined. I'm fine with everything else, just don't take debate club away from me.

I don't want to see debates merged with general discussion; it has a completely different atmosphere that would just be taken away if it got combined. I'm fine with everything else, just don't take debate club away from me.

The problems are though, that it gets a fairly low amount of traffic, and to be honest, the 'debates' in there are not much better than your average General discussion topic now as the maturity level there has greatly increased over the years.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The problems are though, that it gets a fairly low amount of traffic, and to be honest, the 'debates' in there are not much better than your average General discussion topic now as the maturity level there has greatly increased over the years.

We could, in theory, make it a subforum, which would create a bit more traffic without packs of trolls and immature posters getting into the threads. I agree that GD has gotten a lot more mature over the ages, but if you look, there are relatively a lot more troll posts than in DC.

So, if there is going to be a change, please don't merge the two forums, simply make Debate Club into a subforum; although, I would prefer they be kept separate.

We could, in theory, make it a subforum, which would create a bit more traffic without packs of trolls and immature posters getting into the threads. I agree that GD has gotten a lot more mature over the ages, but if you look, there are relatively a lot more troll posts than in DC.

So, if there is going to be a change, please don't merge the two forums, simply make Debate Club into a subforum; although, I would prefer they be kept separate.

In all honesty, I see no difference between the forums these days. They both contain 'general discussions', and both have trolls, both have immature posters. I don't understand the need for a forum that is no different to General Discussion, except slightly less active.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

In all honesty, I see no difference between the forums these days. They both contain 'general discussions', and both have trolls, both have immature posters. I don't understand the need for a forum that is no different to General Discussion, except slightly less active.

There really isn't that much difference currently, but I think there is potential for the two forums to truly be two forums. For example, we could actually turn the debates in Debate Club into actual debates, and not discussions. Creating a minimum post length (I was thinking 6 lines/4 sentences) would make DC the place for people to actually back up their opinions with facts and all that jazz, rather than just posting opinions on a subject, which is what GD is like. Also, DC would be for topics asking questions like, "Should you be able to use the protect item prayer in pvp?" which deals with a subject that can easily be debated and taken seriously. General Discussions would be about things like, "Who is the most famous RS player?" where you would just discuss who you think is the most famous player, and there wouldn't be very much cross or rebuttal. In addition, General would house threads about updates and similar topics.

IMO, if you're going to move RS Bugs to GD, then make it a subforum of GD instead. When I go looking about Bugs, I want to see those and not a mishmosh of other threads with it. It is one of the reasons I've liked "RS Bugs&Sugg." as it has been all these years that I've been here so far, because it puts two of my favorite offside items (bugs & suggestions) together in one nice place with a minimum of other junk getting in the way. Heck, maybe the Moderators here should really be putting more effort into moving bug threads to RS B&S, and a sticky should be put in GD about not starting bug-related threads in GD. At least, that's what I'd do about it... <_<

Beyond that, the rest is fine. I'll be looking forward to the Media Section. |^_^|

~D. V. "RS Bugs in GD? You're asking for trouble, but it won't be from me..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

We'd like to try these changes and see how they go at least, after a week or two of testing and if there's problems with any of the changes we can always alter them at a later date. That doesn't mean we've ignored all your opinions on this thread, it just means we'll take note of those specific cases very closely after the change and if it appears to be a problem then we'll make suitable changes at that time. This thread will be kept open after the change so people can continue giving feedback.

Although a sticky would be a good way to clearly see all the bugs in the game in one location, it would probably destroy any potential for discussion. In most cases (there are a few exceptions where stickies are extremely successful) people don't like stickies. Even if people posted bugs in the sticky, I'm sure there would be very few people didn't have a bug to post who would read it and provoke a discussion. Although allowing bugs to be posted freely in the General Discussion forum would add more diversity to the forum (to put it in D_V_Devnull's words, "mishmosh" things together), I don't think it will be a problem. There are already plenty of bugs that are posted in that forum rather than RuneScape Bugs & Suggestions and there haven't seemed to be any negative side effects.

And furthermore, we already have loads of stickies in General Discussion :( Personally, I like to avoid making stickies whenever possible.

As DarkDude98 said, there's no harm in giving this a shot :) If, after a few weeks, we see negative results, we can always revert back to how things were originally or make other changes.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Although a sticky would be a good way to clearly see all the bugs in the game in one location, it would probably destroy any potential for discussion. In most cases (there are a few exceptions where stickies are extremely successful) people don't like stickies. Even if people posted bugs in the sticky, I'm sure there would be very few people didn't have a bug to post who would read it and provoke a discussion. Although allowing bugs to be posted freely in the General Discussion forum would add more diversity to the forum (to put it in D_V_Devnull's words, "mishmosh" things together), I don't think it will be a problem. There are already plenty of bugs that are posted in that forum rather than RuneScape Bugs & Suggestions and there haven't seemed to be any negative side effects.

And furthermore, we already have loads of stickies in General Discussion :( Personally, I like to avoid making stickies whenever possible.

As DarkDude98 said, there's no harm in giving this a shot :) If, after a few weeks, we see negative results, we can always revert back to how things were originally or make other changes.

I see where you're coming from, but I think that bugs in particular are an issue of interest to many playing Tip.It'ers.

Back when I still played regularly, I know I would have loved to just have a list of the latest bugs, etc, etc.

I understand why most people don't discuss/read things on stickies, but I think bugs would make an exception there.

Sure, the debates won't be as throughout as if each bug had it's own thread, but I think it'll be more organized in a sticky.

Then again, giving it a shot can't be too bad.

stickies limit discussion and are seldom read compared to other topics.

I'd desticky every topic on this forum if i could :P

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'd desticky every topic on this forum if i could :P
Wouldn't even leave us an "address book thread" to point to major info and discussions, eh? :P

~D. V. "You know I had to ask..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

My favourate part of this is the Media Forum! Good move Tip.It!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Perhaps a competition of sorts to bring some love to the forum, best video/drawing/fake of sorts?

Dunno, quick suggestion to get some traffic to the forum. :P

Me likes.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Bandwagon coming... I love the idea too. :)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

I disagree on the RuneScape Media Board being a forum on its own. Half whats posted there belongs in the gallery and the other things dont because they are either Videos or not 50% of your own work (copyright copyright? namely fakes). I think it should be like maybe a subforum for the gallery but not for only runescape because we hate RuneScape in General Discussions

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I disagree on the RuneScape Media Board being a forum on its own. Half whats posted there belongs in the gallery and the other things dont because they are either Videos or not 50% of your own work (copyright copyright? namely fakes). I think it should be like maybe a subforum for the gallery but not for only runescape because we hate RuneScape in General Discussions

The whole point of the RuneScape Media forum is to GET AWAY from The Gallery. As you said so yourself, people who frequent the forums in the General Discussions category don't care about RuneScape for the most part. The RuneScape Media forum is a place for people to post RuneScape creative works for people who care about RuneScape to see it. The idea is that if you want an audience who will appreciate the SUBJECT of your work (RuneScape), you can post it in the RuneScape Media forum. If you want critiques from more experienced artists, you can post in The Gallery where people will likely provide more constructive criticism.

So basically with the introduction of the new board we have a "The Gallery" for RuneScape works and a "The Gallery" for non-RuneScape works. Tbh, I've been around The Gallery long enough to see loads of people there moan and groan whenever someone posts artwork with RuneScape as the subject, or make comments like "lol RuneScape," etc. But making the RuneScape Media board a subforum of The Gallery would completely defeat the purpose of the forum. People who play RuneScape won't be exposed to the forum (since it wouldn't be in the RuneScape category) so it would make the forum nearly pointless imo.

Posted Image

+1 on what Tripsis said ^ up there... I don't think I could have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

Simplified (with a squirrelish pun) though, the RS Media Board basically gives RS Nuts a place to chat, and keeps them out of the hair of the Non-RS Nuts... Definitely a better forum layout for all there. :)

On the other hand, I could kill in regard to moving the bugs into RS Gen. Disc. ... The RS Sugg. was better as RS Bugs&Sugg. because it always seemed to hold a higher quality due to having both in one place... Moving the bugs out has sent both to hell, either because of buried threads, or an overload of quality-less threads flooding in suddenly. <_<

~D. V. "One good, one bad... you've got room to improve." Devnull

+1 on what Tripsis said ^ up there... I don't think I could have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

Simplified (with a squirrelish pun) though, the RS Media Board basically gives RS Nuts a place to chat, and keeps them out of the hair of the Non-RS Nuts... Definitely a better forum layout for all there. :)

On the other hand, I could kill in regard to moving the bugs into RS Gen. Disc. ... The RS Sugg. was better as RS Bugs&Sugg. because it always seemed to hold a higher quality due to having both in one place... Moving the bugs out has sent both to hell, either because of buried threads, or an overload of quality-less threads flooding in suddenly. <_<

~D. V. "One good, one bad... you've got room to improve." Devnull

Bug were already discussed in General so there's no difference there. And to me it seems to have bought more activity to the Suggestions board, don't see how having bugs posted there helped the suggestions board at all.