Mining Rune Essence Miniature Guide

tefda

It is my goal to get up to 26,000 (26k) Rune Essence. So far I've gotten up to about 12k so far and I've been enjoying my time there (FINISHED! Check the third page for a record of my collecting). But during my time at the Essence Mine I've found out many a thing which I would like to share with the community.

The Basics

Firstly to mine Rune Essence you must have completed Rune Mysteries Quest. During that quest you will meet our good friend Aubury. Believe me, if you're going to be getting hordes of Essence, Aubury will become a good pal. Aubury is the best person to teleport you into the Essence mines because he is the closest to a bank in both f2p and p2p (except for the Magic Guild. It has been proclaimed by many people that it is the best. But for those of you who are f2p all of this still applies. And to p2p much of this still applies but you may want to skip on my runs).

For a bit of terminology the term Rune Essence is almost always shortened to "Ess". If you ever go to the East Varrock Bank you'll always find someone shouting "Buying Ess!" Speaking of buying Essence, you'll find that the average price of Essence is only 30 gold pieces (GP). But if you get a large amount of essence your profit from it can really add up.

Pure versus Rune Essence

On April, 20th Jagex reformed the way people collect Essence forever. The intention of the update was to stop Autoers from mining Rune essence and selling it for profits. The update stopped all Free players from ever mining "Pure" essence. The pure essence allows for all Runes to be made but most importanlty the runes that were able to be made only by members. Most of the purchased Rune Essence was from F2P players. With this update that market for honest F2Per's collapsed and P2Per's everywhere were disheartened as they now had to mine for themselves the Pure Essence.

In the beginning the prices for Pure Essence were steady but as people began to run out of their supplies they paniced and prices rose. All the while the regular Rune Essence prices plummeted to new lows while no one was purchasing that essence. As of late the prices have remained constant and Pure Essence to around 50-70 gold and regular essence 30 or below.

My advice to any miners out there. If you are F2P I say keep mining, use your own essence to increase your Runecrafting level and eventually you will be able to break well more than even. If you P2P and a miner of essence, you've got a good market now, they all want the stuff. Don't neglect your own RC level and if you plan on becoming F2P any time soon (as I switch on and off during school College ftw!) then I would suggest you plan on making the most of your time by mining Regular Essence and making the basic runes and do not waste your pure essence on the lower runes if anything, sell the pure essence before you leave.

Time Trials

During my running back and forth between Aubury and the bank I found that it takes awhile sometimes to go between them. But I wanted to know exactly how long. So I decided to do a few Time trials. Below is my list of trials the header for each one should explain them.

Fun Fact: When returning from the Essence Mines you will always teleport back into a certain spot.

ess_return.jpg

To get to Aubury/To go to Bank (one way):

Running: Energy Lost

15.22 14%

15.05 16%

16.37 17%

15.05 17%

15.2 16%

15.15 17%

15.96 16%

15.99 15%

15.27 16%

15.08 16%

-------------------

Average:

15.43 16%

Walking

-------------

Average:

The entire run (From bank to Essence back to bank):

Running Energy Lost

1:33 17%

1:41 18%

1:37 17%

1:34 14%

1:39 24%

1:33 14%

1:59 25%

1:42 20%

1:37 18%

1:44 23%

------------------

Average:

1:37 19%

Walking

2:09

2:14

2:07

2:12

2:13

2:11

2:22 --Had a small conversation

2:13

2:21 --Frog Random Event

2:05

-------------------

Average: 2:12.7

How long it took to get a full load(67 Mining):

---------

Average:51.3

Useful Things to Know

Firstly you are going to gain back energy while standing still and mining. For me I gained 16% back but I have 70 agility. But I assume if you have low level mining and high agility you can gain even more energy back.

Another tidbit is to know where you are and not be confused as to where the bank is when you get out of the mine. Also there are four spots on our minimap that has "holes" in them. You can click right through the border in certain spots (Below).

ess_holes.jpg

Here I have slightly edited Tip.it's map to show where you teleport in. As you can see you have a higher chance of teleporting right next to a spot. One more thing about that is

that I personally prefer the two southern mines because they are much closer to the exit than the others.

ess_map.jpg

You'll always want to either be able to left click or switch to one button under your properties menu. That way you can skip having to have a little chat with Aubury and go straight to the teleportation.

ess_aubury.jpg

If you're going for speed you don't want to waste a second. The moment you see your second to last slot fill up get ready to just click on the portal. You don't want to wait for that little message to pop up. Because it's

generally human nature to click to continue.

ess_full.jpg

Also positioning of your screen is always important. Be sure that you can see your exit portal and be able to left-click onto it so you can go straight to running for the portal.

ess_position.jpg

Keeping your items to a minimum is a good way of conserving energy. Meaning the less heavy equipment you have on you, the longer your energy (a.k.a. your ability to run) will last.

For the P2P

In case you happen to be a member you have a few more advantages. Firstly Rune Essence Pouches can allow you to hold even more essence at a time. You may think having to click "Fill" and then right click "empty" may take a few more seconds, but if you have multiple pouches the benifits are immense. To get the pouches you must vist the Abyss. To my knowledge the Abyss pouches can only be damaged while going through the Abyss (This is incorrect. They are damaged when you take essence in and out of them. But I'd still recommend taking them) and therefore are excellent for gathering essence and just walking to the altar with them.

Also a certain type of boots the Boots of Lightness will reduce your weight (if you are carrying naught but the boots and a rune pickaxe you'll be down to -2 weight). These boots are a part of the Temple of Ikov Quest

The Magic Guild is apparently very fast to get essence. Unfortunately I am no longer a member (even when I was I didn't have the levels to get into there) so I cannot get any time trials for this. If you are a member and you feel like contributing Private message me or post on this thread.

Finally...

Now that you know how long it will take you to run back and forth, how to position your screen, where you'll pop up in the essence mine, I would like to share with you some advice about things you should and shouldn't do while essence mining.

Firstly Having conversations with people mining is a no-no. I'm not saying you can't ask "How's it going everyone?" or something ridiculously simple like that, but a question that will take longer than 51 seconds such as "Hey 'Generic Pking name' in your own words, how would you explain the meaning of life?" That is a bad question and can lead to you having to stay longer in the mine and waste time.

The same goes for messaging friends. Don't do it! Even if it's a short conversation with quick sentences, those extra clicks for the friendslist and whatnot can add up to very valuable time.

Be kind to the people around you. If someone asks you for a free pickaxe why not tell them where they can buy one or about the respawn in the barbarian village. Also calling everyone "n00bs" is getting old, but I can't tell you to stop it. Just be more original.

Reading through these forums is always a good idea, just keep track on your time (Remember! 51 seconds for getting a full load!) and before you even think about switching to another screen be sure you click on the essence and watch for a random event. They only happen when you FIRST CLICK on the object.

Listening to Music is a way of passing the time. Because it can be left on in the background it doesn't play any adversive part against you. But if you're playing it off your machine, be sure you have a decent enough machine to multitask like that.

If you're playing on high detail then you can turn on the sound effects. That way if you're not paying attention to the screen you can hear when the clicking noise of mining stops. The RS music isn't necessary and you could probably find a better song through your own personal music collection.

A few helpful links would be The Runecrafting Guide, and The Runecrafting Calc. Also there are several other links throughout this guide all linking to a tip.it page.

Thanks for reading my guide, hope you enjoyed and I'll see you all in the mines!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good little guide. I actually learden a few things from it. I've heard that the magic guild is better for mining though (I can't get in so I wouldn't know)

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

good little guide. I actually learden a few things from it. I've heard that the magic guild is better for mining though (I can't get in so I wouldn't know)

Huh... forgot about that. I can't get in either. Edit it I shall!

Edit: Edited I have. Also shortened it. I typed it all in Notepad so it added extra lines. Tis shorter now.

Concerning the magic guild, I woudln't worry about it. Most people that have 66 magic aren't mining rune essence for money...but maybe that's just my opinion.

Great guide though.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Does anyone know if Agility really does transfer over to f2p? I timed my recharge from going 0%-100% and it took me a little over 5 minutes (5:11). I don't think that's right, but I could be mistaken. I also was walking around during that time, but I didn't think walking took effect in that.

I was hesitant about putting in Essence Pouches and The boots o' Lightness because this was the General area. I thought that it was primarily f2p players that mined essence, otherwise p2p purchased or it was only a select few who were leveling up their new characters.

But it's in now. Thanks for reading through it everyone.

The magic guild is much faster. Whenever I wanna mine essence to make natures I use the magic guild. There is no doubt that it is faster.

lope6jw0.jpg

With the minimap positioned correctly, you can click on Aubury's store from where you stand at the bank counter - this makes a one piece, best track walk or run.

Returning, I usually need to take it in two bites, as it's hard to find a good spot to clck for the bank.

With the minimap positioned correctly, you can click on Aubury's store from where you stand at the bank counter - this makes a one piece, best track walk or run.

Returning, I usually need to take it in two bites, as it's hard to find a good spot to clck for the bank.

If you noticed the pic of the mini-map you can click through those spots and that way you can easily click to the bank in one shot.

also when you mine ess, you cant get it every hit for soem reason even with 99 mining. the fastest it lets you get it is 1 every four hits. most people will get it that way with a decent level.

Are you sure about this? I could have sworn I got a piece of ess every 2 strokes. I could be wrong. My eyes could be playing tricks on me after long hauls of Essence mining. (Currently 16/26k)

also when you mine ess, you cant get it every hit for soem reason even with 99 mining. the fastest it lets you get it is 1 every four hits. most people will get it that way with a decent level.

I am currently at level 73 in the skill of mining, and I received one portion of rune essence with every other swing of my pick. I was of course using a runite pickaxe. Were you, by chance using a lesser instrument?

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

How often you get rune essence depends on which type of pick you are using. 7 hits with bronze, 6 with iron, 5 with steel, 4 with mithril, 3 with adamant, and 2 with rune.

That does seem to make sense. I saw a guy using a steel pickaxe and he kept saying "Just wait! I'm about to hit level 21 so I can use my Mithril pickaxe!" He said he only needed 30 more xp so I thought after four or 5 hits with his pickaxe I'd congratulate him. He said he still wasn't there.

Good job. A very well written and organized guide. Just for your information, the magic guild tele isn't that much faster (because it involves an extra click, as well as needing to find the right magician out of 4).

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it