Google is pretty cool

Bloodstain

"INTERNET giant Google has announced it is now paying its gay and lesbian staff more than its heterosexual employees in the US.

The search engine is compensating same-sex partners for the higher taxes they pay on domestic partners health benefits.

The company said in its blog today that it would be grossing-up imputed taxes on health insurance benefits for all same-sex domestic partners in the US.

Same-sex couples who include domestic partners on their health insurance pay federal taxes. Married couples do not have to pay taxes on spousal health benefits.

Google is not offering any extra pay to heterosexual domestic partners, because the company said heterosexual employees have the option of avoiding the tax by getting married.

Daryl Herrschaft, director of the Workplace Project at Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights advocacy group, said Google's policy was a step in the right direction.

"They're picking up the slack where the federal government hasn't recognised the reality of diversity in the workforce today," Mr Herrschaft said.

"This is eliminating existing discrimination that... gays and lesbians face in the workplace as a result of federal law that doesnt acknowledge their families."

But Focus on the Family, a Christian organisation aimed at providing practical help for marriage and parenting, said the policy falls short of its goal to offer equal benefits to employees.

"If Google wants to be truly fair to its employees, it should consider extra compensation to married heterosexuals who are bitten every April 15 by the marriage-penalty tax," spokesman Gary Schneeberger said.

"How is offering more money to only one group to offset a perceived inequity not a form of discrimination against those groups not fortunate enough to receive such bonuses?"

Source 1-http://www.news.com.au/business/business-smarts/google-pays-us-gay-and-lesbian-staff-more-than-heterosexual-employees/story-e6frfm9r-1225887232634

Source 2-http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15426759

I think it's awesome that google is picking up the slack for the government's short comings. Maybe this will be a good step to equal marriage rights for homosexuals.

Four workers, who each are paid $60,000 a year.

Gay with a domestic partner

Straight Married

Straight unmarried

Gay without a domestic partner

The first two have taxes on partners health benefits, the last two don't. The second one DOESN'T pay them though. So now, the first group is getting it's pay bumped. Person 3 and 4 don't need the pay bump because they don't have to pay taxes for someone else's health benefits

This means that, after the pay bump, everyone ends up coming home each year with the same amount of money.

yes.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another gay topic? Jeez. Let's turn OT into a Gay Rights forum.

And yes, this post totally means I'm homophobic btw.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I would sue Google for discrimination if I worked there. Also, how does the company know the sexuel preference of their employees? That's a breach of privacy rights.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I would sue Google for discrimination if I worked there. Also, how does the company know the sexuel preference of their employees? That's a breach of privacy rights.

All they're doing is evening out the pay. There is no discrimination anywhere.

So much for equality.

But it's a private company, so it's their choice.

(and yes before someone bags me as homophobic again, i understand that in the end they get the same amount)

And yet another gay thread lol.

E: Didn't read the article close enough. No, this is not equal at all. "get married" - Maybe you don't want to get married?

If i've understood this whole thing correctly, i don't like it one bit.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Google doesn't raise taxes. So they are just paying gay people more than straight people.

Retired

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I thought it was employees with a civil union, but re-reading it it just says "couples" and "partners". So a hetrosexual couple, not yet married, doesn't get extra pay?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I thought it was employees with a civil union, but re-reading it it just says "couples" and "partners". So a hetrosexual couple, not yet married, doesn't get extra pay?

That doesn't cause controversy. So no, it doesn't.

Retired

Google doesn't raise taxes. So they are just paying gay people more than straight people.

Maybe I'm the one that misunderstood the article, but I'm pretty sure they're just compensating their gay employees for the increased taxes they have to pay.

Another gay topic? Jeez. Let's turn OT into a Gay Rights forum.

And yes, this post totally means I'm homophobic btw.

I do have to agree although I am not against homosexuality. but the discrimination against

my sexual orientation is very questioning. <_<

They don't pay any extra taxes, they just don't get breaks and reductions from married couples. Just wanted to get that clear.

siggy3s.jpg

They don't pay any extra taxes, they just don't get breaks and reductions from married couples. Just wanted to get that clear.

More or less the same thing.

Gay married couple has to pay taxes that a straight married couple doesn't, Google decides to compensate them for it, pretty cool.

It's like paying people extra who don't install solar panels when building a new house because they don't get financial support from the government.

(In Belgium we get a partial refund when we install solar panels)

Retired

Just so i'm understanding here, a straight couple doesn't get benefits while a gay one will? Or does the gay ones have to be married/civil union first to get this pay-raise? If it's just girlfriend-girlfriend and not married/civil union i find this very unequal and discriminating.

E: Ah, now i found the translation for it. And i'm against it since it doesn't include heterosexual domestic partnerships.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Google can't get sued because homosexuals aren't a protected group.

And IIRC, it applies to homosexuals in a DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP. So it's not just saying you're gay and that's that. Google is compensating for the homosexuals having to pay for stuff like health benefits on their partner, while heterosexual married couples don't have to pay that

I also can't see how people are saying this is discrimination when all google is doing is making sure everyone makes the same for the same work, which the government doesn't seem very keen on.

yes.png

It's like paying people extra who don't install solar panels when building a new house because they don't get financial support from the government.

(In Belgium we get a partial refund when we install solar panels)

Let's put it like this,

Straight couple gets financial support to install solar panels.(tax break)

Gay couple doesn't get financial support to install solar panels.(no tax break)

Company reimburses gay couple for the financial support they shouldve received.

whats wrong with that

Okay so it's only for domestic partnerships. And against the government.

Nothing wrong with that.

siggy3s.jpg

Nothing wrong with that.

Government treating people different based on sexual preference.

Nothing wrong with that.

People of any kind should be paid equally, but more? Not cool.

Are you just not reading the thread or something? Google is making sure everyone takes home the same $

yes.png

Some people are really misinterpreting this. Don't look at it as Google paying married gay workers more, look at it as Google paying married gay worker's taxes that everyone else doesn't have to pay.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Google is evening out because gays get less benefits, so quit being a bigot towards gays, they deserve the same pay no matter what.

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Nothing wrong with that.

Government treating people different based on sexual preference.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with Googles decision. Jeez. >_>

siggy3s.jpg

I love how so many people jump for slight inequality against heterosexuals, and couldn't care less when it's severe inequality against homosexuals.

Good move on Google's part. :thumbup:

People of any kind should be paid equally, but more? Not cool.

Gay couples should get taxed more than straight couples? Not cool.

FUN FACT: In the movie "The Wizard of Oz" the dog that played Toto got payed more than 70$ per hour than the munchkins actors.

Munchkin 0 Dog 1

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg