Whips are still 3.5m each, why?

Nopenope

I just was wondering the cause behind this.

Let me start you way back. I bought my first whip around 4 years ago. It was 2.2 mil, and busted my bank. I know they changed the special attack not too long after release, and I know when they came out they were VERY expensive. I paid 2.2 mil for my first one, but that was back in 2006. Since then, I have seen them drop to 1.5m, and up to near 5m. They have been hovering at 3.5m for the longest time now. I always assumed this was because of inflation and merch clans. Yet, as I keep slaying and getting whip drops, I see they have seemed to level out at this price.

Is this because the supply has equaled the demand at this price? Was the PvP updates' inflation enough to keep items like this boosted at an inflated price compared to the years before? I am just curious on your thoughts. This is a completely random thought, and I was just curious as to what other people thought as why they have remained so "high" in price.

Thanks! :)

(ps. when I said highest ever in title, i meant in long-term average)

nautica.png

nautica.png

Whips are now consumed by deaths in PvP. In 2006, when a person died with a whip the other player got it as a drop. Now it just disappears.

PS: 3.5m is easier to afford in today's runescape than 2.2m was in 2006. Therefore the whip's price, adjusted for inflation, is actually lower.

You have to remember, too, that in its category, the whip is second only to the chaotic rapier. The only other comparable item is a CLS, which only beats it on higher defense monsters/players.

There's no reason for the whip to be any lower than 3.5m, really.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Average income is probably about triple what it was in 06, and max income is about triple as well, plus on top of that you can make large profits in the GE without spending any time.

Ah, but back in those good ol' days, d chains were 25 mil and barrows was much more profitable :P

nautica.png

nautica.png

ags is 80m and is a far inferior weapon to the whip, so at 3.5m its quite cheap and was the former best weapon in rs

also...inflation effects everything

most players with 85 slayer could just as easily make great cash at bosses so they have to make whips worth it to get or nobody would kill abbys except to train slayer

a_final_name.png

Best weapon before Chaotic Rapier, alternative to those who don't want 80 dungeoneering or to pay recharges (godswords being too sluggish I only see those as a spec weapon)

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Average income is probably about triple what it was in 06, and max income is about triple as well, plus on top of that you can make large profits in the GE without spending any time.

Ah, but back in those good ol' days, d chains were 25 mil and barrows was much more profitable :P

Getting dragon chains and barrows equipment has become much easier (increasing supply), and these items are not risked nearly as often in PvP as abyssal whips (decreasing demand relative to whips).

Getting dragon chains and barrows equipment has become much easier (increasing supply), and these items are not risked nearly as often in PvP as abyssal whips (decreasing supply relative to whips).

I don't think he was looking for an answer on those, I think he was just reminiscing on old times.

As for the whip, it's still a very respectable weapon, only beat by the Rapier now. It's just that worth it.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

it's the 2nd best weapon in the game.

and 3.5 for a whip is cheap imho

Yup the added perk is also the fact it's one handed for those without extremes, for dragons and general training it's ideal, only negative is the fact there's no strength option

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Well that can be debatable. When I slay, I find myself using Zammy Spear (underrated imo) almost as much as I do whip.

It all depends on what you do. Boss hunting, pking, slaying, the whip fails to finish first in most besides slayer tasks. Regardless, it is a great weapon. I absolutely think it deserves it's 3.5m pricetag. I had just wondered why it decided to settle at that price.

nautica.png

nautica.png

Well that can be debatable. When I slay, I find myself using Zammy Spear (underrated imo) almost as much as I do whip.

It all depends on what you do. Boss hunting, pking, slaying, the whip fails to finish first in most besides slayer tasks. Regardless, it is a great weapon. I absolutely think it deserves it's 3.5m pricetag. I had just wondered why it decided to settle at that price.

Before chaotic weapons, the whip was the best weapon for boss hunting, PKing, and slaying. If you're using your ZS almost as much as a whip on slayer tasks, you're either getting tons of dragon tasks or doing something very wrong.

dgs5.jpg

Before chaotic weapons, the whip was the best weapon for boss hunting, PKing, and slaying. If you're using your ZS almost as much as a whip on slayer tasks, you're either getting tons of dragon tasks or doing something very wrong.

Well I'd have to disagree on the whip was the best weapon for boss hunting before chaotic... And as I get blue, black, iron, steel and mith dragon tasks (as well as other tasks that stab attack is better)... and I am more than happy to cancel fire giant, greater demon, and hellhounds... Yes, I do find myself using Z spear almost as much as whip while slaying.

nautica.png

nautica.png

Well I'd have to disagree on the whip was the best weapon for boss hunting before chaotic... And as I get blue, black, iron, steel and mith dragon tasks (as well as other tasks that stab attack is better)... and I am more than happy to cancel fire giant, greater demon, and hellhounds... Yes, I do find myself using Z spear almost as much as whip while slaying.

Whip was best for solo TDs, Bandos GWD, and Zamorak GWD. ZS was (and still is) best for Corp. Crossbows are best for solo Arma GWD and Sara GWD. Thus, whip was the best weapon for all relevant bosses.

dgs5.jpg

Whip was best for solo TDs, Bandos GWD, and Zamorak GWD. ZS was (and still is) best for Corp. Crossbows are best for solo Arma GWD and Sara GWD. Thus, whip was the best weapon for all relevant bosses.

I don't know many godwars teams who would agree with you saying whip is best weapon (before chaotic) for Bandos and Zammy. I've never gone to either with whip as my primary weapon.

nautica.png

nautica.png

I don't know many godwars teams who would agree with you saying whip is best weapon (before chaotic) for Bandos and Zammy.

solo

And anyway, whip + defender was still better than a godsword in team bandos/zamorak/saradomin.

BTW whip + defender > Z spear at all dragons except mithril and KBD, possibly frosts, but I mean if you have 85 dungeon you have rapier anyway.

I don't know any godwars teams.

There, should be fixed now.

But in all seriousness, the whip was easily the best weapon in game for a very lengthy period of time, but has lost it's spark now for higher level players. You have to remember, the requirements of 80 attack and 80 dungeoneering aren't a joke for some people and that alot of people are awfully paranoid about the recharge cost of these items(which is uncalled for if you can make 600k an hour). And just to be clear, the whip is still, after 6 years, the second best training weapon game and is a major reason attack and defense hiscores can keep up with the strength ones.

BTW whip + defender > Z spear at all dragons except mithril and KBD, possibly frosts, but I mean if you have 85 dungeon you have rapier anyway.

I refuse to believe that- even the lowly leaf-bladed sword does better than the whip at most dragons(greens and blues might be the gray area). I think you have gotten something horribly wrong, the whip is dreadful at irons/steels.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I refuse to believe that- even the lowly leaf-bladed sword does better than the whip at most dragons(greens and blues might be the gay area). I think you have gotten something horribly wrong, the whip is dreadful at irons/steels.

Had to point out the lolz... Sorry. XD

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

[hide]

I don't know any godwars teams.

There, should be fixed now.

But in all seriousness, the whip was easily the best weapon in game for a very lengthy period of time, but has lost it's spark now for higher level players. You have to remember, the requirements of 80 attack and 80 dungeoneering aren't a joke for some people and that alot of people are awfully paranoid about the recharge cost of these items(which is uncalled for if you can make 600k an hour). And just to be clear, the whip is still, after 6 years, the second best training weapon game and is a major reason attack and defense hiscores can keep up with the strength ones.

I refuse to believe that- even the lowly leaf-bladed sword does better than the whip at most dragons(greens and blues might be the gay area). I think you have gotten something horribly wrong, the whip is dreadful at irons/steels.

[/hide]

Regardless of what you conceive my godwars experience to be, pre-dungeoneering, it would be hard for a random player on rs forums to find a bandos or zammy team offering whip/rune def as attack status over a godsword. But, I will take Z spear over whip/def at dragons any day.

nautica.png

nautica.png