Goldeneye, Timesplitters, Perfect Dark, and Rare.

trapical

Meh, I havenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t made a thread for a while and I'm wondering what people think about the game I have been playing ~2 hours everyday for the last week.

It seems like first person shooters come out for systems every month now days. Almost all of them trace there roots back the Goldeneye. A game so groundbreaking and enjoyable that people still play it to this day. Goldeneye brought so much to the table: a single player game with near unlimited replay, cheats that are given as rewards for hard work, and a unbeatable multiplayer that would set standard for years to come. The game was made my Rare, the crown jewel of Nintendo even before Square went to Sony. Anyway the game was the standard multiplayer game of its genre for quite some time. There was only other game for the N-64 that can really be compared to it. The game said to be one of the best fps there is, the game said by Gamespot to be ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅTied with Ocarina of Time as the greatest game of all timeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Nice stuff indeed, it's sad to see all these new 007 games come out for consoles like Xbox/PS2/GC that are just crap compared to Goldeneye in the old N64. Those people at Rare that made Perfect Dark pushed the capabilities of the N64 beyond its limits, its multiplayer options are still the best by far of any FPS since then (yet newer systems are supposed to be better and do more :? )

If I get a chance to try the 360 it would likely be with PD0 as I'm curious to see if it can outdo its predecessor.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Perfect Dark is the greatest game of all time hands-down. I have spent over 500 hours of gameplay on it, and I don't regret any of it.

Perfect Dark Zero? eh... I'm a little skeptic, I would like to try it out. But the thing is, I'm not getting an xbox 360, period. :cry:

If it gets released for the computer, I'm getting it.

Yeah goldeneye and perfect dark just did so much for console first person shooters, I've spent many hours playing both of them. Only problem is the controllers - you always end up feeling cramped over to the right hand side of it because the left hand "prong" is basically useless on the standard controller setup.

Ah, secodary fire is evident in UT:GOTYE and most likely before it. But for CONSOLE FPS I think Perfect Dark was the first to have it.

Capture the flag, again UT:GOTYE has it. Everything else is probably a first I don't want to check up on it though :P

As for the comments regarding Rare, I don't think ANY company would have much of an up to if having Rare. Mainly since PDZ is the only decent game they have producded since the first Perfect Dark on the N64. Not exactly a glowing portfolio. One game in like 5 years :hsugh:

And something I gotta ask, is Elvis in this one :P

Actually, Turok: Rage Wars had seconday fire on it's weapons, and was released a good half year before Perfect Dark :wink:

EDIT: From the IGN review of Rage Wars, I found this:

Even with all of the Turok 2 framerate problems worked out in this one, it still would've been awfully boring with the same old weapons and powerups. The secondary weapons are a wonderful addition and add a whole other level of strategy to the game. Expect to see secondary weapon functions in many console first person shooters to come.

You forgot to mention Timesplitters: Future Perfect, btw :P

I was a big fan of Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark. :)

My friend now has PDZ, and it looks great. Haven't been able to play it though, since he and my brother always play co-op. No third controller either for multiplayer. :P

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

Rare sucks and they should stop making games, no offense.

A lot of people left Rare, including the directory of Goldeneye 007, went to form Zoonami. Some more people left and went to Free Radical Design (makers of TimeSplitters 2 and stuff).

I've played two Rare games, Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye 007. Both are excellent games, I enjoyed them very much. But the Rare of today is not the same Rare that made those two games. Nintendo made an excellent decision of selling them to Microsoft for $400 million dollars.

Oh well.

PD0 and Kameo both suck. PD0 has a lot of graphical inconstistincies throughout the game, and the AI is terrible.

Rare sucks and they should stop making games, no offense.

A lot of people left Rare, including the directory of Goldeneye 007, went to form Zoonami. Some more people left and went to Free Radical Design (makers of TimeSplitters 2 and stuff).

I've played two Rare games, Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye 007. Both are excellent games, I enjoyed them very much. But the Rare of today is not the same Rare that made those two games. Nintendo made an excellent decision of selling them to Microsoft for $400 million dollars.

Oh well.

PD0 and Kameo both suck. PD0 has a lot of graphical inconstistincies throughout the game, and the AI is terrible.

Yeah, I was peeved when Nintendo first sold Rare, but now you can see it was a wise descision as they are well past it. I hate Xbox, but if there was one game that would make me want to play one, it would be PDZ. It was amazing on the N64, but all of Rare's decent staff have gone to Free Radical. It looks to have shown, it got a poor review on Eurogamer.

Ah, secodary fire is evident in UT:GOTYE and most likely before it. But for CONSOLE FPS I think Perfect Dark was the first to have it.

Capture the flag, again UT:GOTYE has it. Everything else is probably a first I don't want to check up on it though :P

Secondary fire goes way back. Almost all the guns in Dark Forces (1994) had it.

Perfect Dark looks alright, all my friends got it because there wasn't much else. We used to play Goldeneye though back in the day. I don't think I ever played Perfect Dark. But I do think it's funny that all the developers left :P .

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

1 Guns with secondary fire. For example an assault rifle with a grenade launches attached. At anytime you can choose which to use

2 Co-Op campaign mode. With new challenging AI (see below) your going to want some help on the hardest difficulty settings of the ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâsingle playerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ mode. Also people say this makes the gamers less likely to play alone in their basements, it encourages people to go and play the game with other people.

3 Capture the flag and King of the Hill. Everyone knew the game in RL but who imagined putting it into a shooting gameÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s multiplayer?

4 Vehicles you can drive. Everyone was ecstatic when Halo 2 announced that they would have things you could drive. Perfect Dark had them five years prior.

5 Cloaking devices and elevators in multiplayer, being able to have custom weapon sets in multiplayer.... Not a big deal but still notable

6 AI thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s actually intelligent. Goldeneye and Doom and enemies a mass and run into the room when you have prox mines by the surrounding you and two RCP90s aimed at the door. In Perfect Dark and nearly all games afterwards the enemies would run away, switch guns, visibly reload, run for cover, etc.

7 Bots in multiplayer. Such a common thing these days that I almost forgot to put it down. Instead of just killing your brother one on one, you can each have a personal army. In fact in Perfect Dark you could tell each bot on your team what to do at any time In multiplayer. He could patrol a hallway; hunt down and kill anyone, bot or human, friend or foe; he could defend your ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅbaseÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I stand corrected on that base, alas I never played Unreal Tour. Sorry for excluding it.

As for the comments regarding Rare, I don't think ANY company would have much of an up to if having Rare. Mainly since PDZ is the only decent game they have producded since the first Perfect Dark on the N64. Not exactly a glowing portfolio. One game in like 5 years :hsugh:
If Microsoft didn't buy Rare most of the programmers wouldn't have left. ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the point I'm trying to get across here. If this merger never happened Rare would not only have continued producing games for Nintendo, but the games would actually be good ;)

Rare sucks now. A lot of people left Rare, including the directory of Goldeneye 007, went to form Zoonami. Some more people left and went to Free Radical Design (makers of TimeSplitters 2 and stuff).

Uh... thanks for restating what I just said...? :?

And something I gotta ask, is Elvis in this one :P

I didn't conquer it yet but its a prequel and Joanna first met Elvis in the middle of the original. Perhaps he is seen with another character sometime though? We can only hope. Also, since no one really seems to know what this game is even about I'll post a small plot summary from what I gather.

Possible Spoliers

-Joanna, her dad, and some black chick are bounty hunters fighting against the private armies of large corporations like dataDyne.

-After rescuing a scientist he downloads some information into Joanna's dad's head and soon everyone wants him dead or alive. He eventually kills himself to ensure Joanna's safe escape from a stand off.

-Joanna goes to find a Dr. Carrol (yes, THAT Dr Carrol), who is at this time a normal human scientist. During there meeting the black chick that used to work with Joanna comes in, clearly a traitor, and shoots Dr Carrol in the gut. Suddenly Jonathon (sound familiar?) busts in, saves Joanna and they escape to the roof where a well trained, and clearly well funded small army and dropships are waiting. "Dr. Carinton sends his greetings" is heard. ;)

-You fly to Mexico to investigate some Mayan ruins (Again, at this point in time you're wondering if there related to the Maians of the original) Anyway you discover that dataDyne is reading hieroglyphs that indicate of visiting aliens/gods. Datadyne then finds some sort of immense power source inside the ruins and they extract it with Joanna in pursuit.

That was level 10 and thats as far as I got since finals are coming up and I can't really play it that often these days. I'm wondering if it meets up directly to the original. That'll be kinda cool.

Rare sucks now. A lot of people left Rare, including the directory of Goldeneye 007, went to form Zoonami. Some more people left and went to Free Radical Design (makers of TimeSplitters 2 and stuff).

Uh... thanks for restating what I just said...? :?

Oh, sorry. I didn't feel like reading your long [wagon] reply. :)

1 Guns with secondary fire. For example an assault rifle with a grenade launches attached. At anytime you can choose which to use

2 Co-Op campaign mode. With new challenging AI (see below) your going to want some help on the hardest difficulty settings of the ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâsingle playerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ mode. Also people say this makes the gamers less likely to play alone in their basements, it encourages people to go and play the game with other people.

3 Capture the flag and King of the Hill. Everyone knew the game in RL but who imagined putting it into a shooting gameÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s multiplayer?

4 Vehicles you can drive. Everyone was ecstatic when Halo 2 announced that they would have things you could drive. Perfect Dark had them five years prior.

5 Cloaking devices and elevators in multiplayer, being able to have custom weapon sets in multiplayer.... Not a big deal but still notable

6 AI thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s actually intelligent. Goldeneye and Doom and enemies a mass and run into the room when you have prox mines by the surrounding you and two RCP90s aimed at the door. In Perfect Dark and nearly all games afterwards the enemies would run away, switch guns, visibly reload, run for cover, etc.

7 Bots in multiplayer. Such a common thing these days that I almost forgot to put it down. Instead of just killing your brother one on one, you can each have a personal army. In fact in Perfect Dark you could tell each bot on your team what to do at any time In multiplayer. He could patrol a hallway; hunt down and kill anyone, bot or human, friend or foe; he could defend your ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅbaseÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Point: PC games own all other type of game.

I must agree, although I'm a huge fan of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. And I've always found a mouse is so much easie to aim with than a joystick, and the keyboard gives a enormous advantage in versitility(sp?).

At first I thougt my sources that gave me that list were terribly wrong, but I did a little research on Gamespot, quite possibly the largest game site on the net.

Rouge Spear (DC)

- Release Date: Nov 21, 2000

Unreal Tournament (PC)

- Release Date: Oct 25, 2000

Perfect Dark

- Release Date: June 30, 2000

Hmm, lets see here... Perfect Dark came out before both... So tell me, why again is everyone yelling that UT had Capture the Flag and bots? Last time I checked now practically every fps has those. My point was PD had them first. What's your point?

(forgive me if my data is wrong, I only checked two sites)

EDIT* Read the next post

Hmm, lets see here... Perfect Dark came out before both... So tell me, why again is everyone yelling that UT had Capture the Flag and bots? Last time I checked now practically every fps has those. My point was PD had them first. What's your point?

(forgive me if my data is wrong, I only checked two sites)

i didnt say anything about rouge spear, but about ut:

untitled1pj.jpg

taken from gamefaqs, the first date was when the game was released. the second date was when the game of the year edition, or what ever they call it, came out.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

tarsiege: Tribes (usually called Tribes or Tribes 1) is a sci-fi first-person shooter (FPS) computer game, the first of the Tribes video game series. It was developed by Dynamix and published by the company now known as Sierra Entertainment in 1998.

Tribes was one of the first online-only games of its kind and sported several multiplayer features that other games have only recently included (32+ player support, troop transport vehicles, several different player classes). Most of the standard maps were outdoors in a variety of climates with bases scattered throughout the map, depending on the gametype. The outdoor environments were relatively huge, but "jetting" and "skiing" gave Tribes a fast-paced feel.

Had everything listed before both PD and UT 8)

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

indy500fan - I once again stand corrected. Gamefaqs doesn't lie :wink: I was decieved, Gamespot and PcGaming only listed that 2nd date.

VOV - Well aparently PD simply perfected them all. Also does Tribes really have everything listed? Anyway this is all really besides the point. The focus of this thread was backround on Rare and what people think of the new PD.

aye, that it doesnt. perfect dark is a kick^&* game though, i played, mastered, and tossed it out before i ever heard about unreal tournament. cant wait to play PDZ, probably get to around christmas time when college buddies come home.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I think Goldeneye had vehicles you could ride aswell, you could ride the tank. Not whenever you liked it though.

Anyway, I loved Goldeneye, I have spend so many hours on the multiplayer, it was so great. Many fun hours during nights with my friends. And same goes for perfect dark. Both quality games.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I will sya that I liked Time Splitters 2. But not single player. Me and my neighbor used to play it. We'd put on TNT a lot and go around and "tag" people with it.

I also loved to play 'Virus'. A free-for-all shooting fest. Bullets everywhere and you can basicly nevers top running or take your eye off the screen.

[quoe=How2PK]I think Goldeneye had vehicles you could ride aswell, you could ride the tank. Not whenever you liked it though.

A couple. The Runway had 2. Well... 2 if you count the plane you escape in. It also had the tank on there. I think that was the only level that had any drivable vehicle what-so-ever.

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)