Atom Smash40's List of Top 15 Videogames

Atom Smash40

In no particular order, with a couple of them personal. I'm not really a big game guy, so I won't go into technical stuff as I do not know much about it. I chose games that had high replay value to me and could be entertaining no matter what. Plus, I have not played enough videogames where a top 25 list would be hard to pick for me:

1. Super Mario 64

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

One of the first 3D free-roam games, it took analog joystick control to a whole new level. It also revolutionized camera angles in the 3rd person for videogames. It also included fully explorable “worlds” that one could wander in for an endless amount of time. While in the world, you could complete objectives to unlock stars that would in turn lead to more areas of the castle being unlocked. No two worlds are alike, and each one poses different challenges. One of the all time best games ever made, it is a must have for anyone with a working N64. Mine has unfortunately died after many years, and I long to play Super Mario 64

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

ocarina-of-time_l.jpg

This one is a no brainer. It needs no introduction. Truly a game for all gamers. It revolutionized the way an RPG is played, from the combat to the puzzle solving required to progress further into the game. The 3D environments were amazing (after building on the elements used by Super Mario 64), and the character graphics (especially the faces) were second to none (at the time). My favorite feature were the side quests that kept me occupied so the game wasn’t a through and through. I don’t particularly like games where you run in a straight line without any detours that can help make the journey easier.

3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

callofduty-mac-large-1.jpg

A step forward from the all too abused WWII genre, CoD4 brought the soldier into a fictional time where Russians go bad again and this time help out radical terrorists in the middle east. It’s a must have for any fan of FPS games on the newer consoles, and the campaign missions never get old. Probably one of the best game missions in any shooter is All Ghillied Up where you are a young Captain Price crawling through a radioactive Chernobyl to get to a sniper’s perch to assassinate a nuclear arms dealer. But the trek leads you through masses of enemy troops and tanks, with one evasion guaranteed to make even the most hardened gamer crap their pants. Easily one of the best games of the new consoles (XBOX 360/PS3), CoD4 will always be the best shooter that takes place in the modern era.

4. James Bond Goldeneye 007 (N64)

goldeneye007_n64_02.jpg

BEST FPS OF ALL TIME. PERIOD. This game revolutionized the FPS genre. Needs no introduction. The graphics were not the best, but the gameplay is second to none. The multiplayer game modes were by far the best feature, and the concept of using stealth was new, considering Doom and Quake (during that time) preferred the Rambo approach. The campaign mode was equally entertaining, and the many different guns that could be picked up allowed for endless mayhem.

5. Forza Motorsport 3

fm3_acura_integra_typer_4.jpg

I was going to put Gran Turismo, but seeing as it’s been 6 years since the last release, the best aspect of that game was already surpassed. I love Forza 3 because of its physics engine. A player can wreck the car during a race and your car will do flips and bounces according to how the crash started. Also, the graphics are second to none. I see this more as a driving simulator than an actual racing game. Also, they have nearly every race able car in the game, including ones that people most likely have never heard of. I know I haven’t. But they are all there, and the game is wonderful. Let’s see if Gran Turismo 5 can best Forza 3. It sure will be difficult, but I don’t doubt that Polyphony can do it. GT is legendary for their graphics, and is probably the best racing simulator publisher out there, but right now Forza 3 has my heart.

6. Halo: Combat Evolved

Halo-Combat-Evolved-5.png

This game is probably one of the best FPS of the new era. From the 3SK pistol-a to the Shotty-beatdown combo, there is no end to the fun. True, sometimes (actually, a lot nowadays on PC) you get aimbotters and wallhackers, but when you get a good, clean snipers only lobby on Blood Gulch you can’t deny that there is really nothing quite like it; ducking to avoid HS’s from those many contrails, whipping out the pistol and getting 3SK headshots when needed, ‘nading in front of you to either kill your assailant or create a lame smokescreen for you to make your getaway, only to get shot in the back. This game will always be fun, no matter if you’re good or bad. And the PC clan community was one of the most fiercely competitive and closely knit, which is a plus when playing TDM on a CTF game mode or playing CTF on a CTF game mode. And meleeing with the oddball wasn’t half bad either.

7. Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

6-345_1.jpg

This may be a personal choice, but I loved playing C&C Generals: Zero Hour whenever I could. It is far from the first RTS, but if I remember correctly, it was one that had the most variety (the other being Civilization III or something like that). You could choose to be one of three ‘generals’ from one of the three factions of USA, GLA, and China. Each general had their own perks, such as more advanced units armed with lasers or a terrorist leader that emphasized explosives. I myself loved playing as the USA commander that had the most advanced air force. Tearing through enemy defenses with 12+ Raptor jets and demolishing their buildings never got old. And the graphics weren’t half bad either. The campaign was equally fun, and so was the mini-campaign where you went through a roulette of ‘generals’ as a general yourself and eventually reached the end where the final “boss” had all 3 super weapons (Scud Missiles, Nuke, Ion Cannon) and you could steal each one and use them against her. If only I could find my game disc again and be taken back to the days of infinite patriot missile defense systems and unlimited Raptor fighter jets.

8. Backyard Baseball

Backyard-Baseball_3.jpg

Who hasn’t played this game? The first Backyard series game, Backyard Baseball took traditional baseball management games and shrunk it down to a more user friendly interface, where you could choose your own team made up of younger versions of major leaguers and random AI generated characters such as Pablo Sanchez, the pint sized home run machine. And who can forget the special power up bats? My favorite was the one that made a bunt wacky. I would always use Ichiro Suzuki and bunt and get a triple with that power up. This game will always be fun for all ages, though children will get the most out of it. I know I did when I played.

9. Tetris

tetris_nintendo.gif

Best. Game. Music. Ever. ‘Nuff said.

10. Pokemon Red Version

Pokemon_Red_GB.jpg

It doesn’t matter what color; red, blue, or yellow. It doesn’t matter what starter Pokemon, though Charmander kicks ass. It doesn’t matter how high your Pokemon’s level is, my Lv100 Mewtwo will wreck you :P This game is one of the best GameBoy games of all time, hands down. It pretty much defined a generation. If you weren’t playing Pokemon, you weren’t cool. If you didn’t do the Rare Candy cheat, you weren’t cool. If you didn’t use the Master Ball on Mewtwo, well, you get the point. This game pretty much started a multi-billion dollar franchise that is still alive and well today. But you can’t forget where it all started. In Pallet Town, waking up, telling Prof. Oak that your name was Ash and your rival’s name was Douche. And that Veridian Forest was scary as [cabbage].

11. Mario Kart 64

Foto+Mario+Kart+64.jpg

Blowing up people with the Super Star. Zapping them with the Lightning Bolt. And using shortcuts to cut lap times and easily win races. This game had it all, from exotic locales to silly power ups. If my N64 didn’t die on me, I would probably be playing this game for at least an hour each day, working on my 150cc gold trophy.

12. NeoGeo Metal Slug: Second Mission

metalslug_6_640w.gif

Don’t know how many of you have heard of this game, but a side scroller shooter that is both fun and challenging without being ridiculous is an A+ in my book. This game is memorable because of the various guns your could pick up, cartoony looking vehicles, and mini-achievements you can unlock by rescuing random people. The story line was funny, what with aliens invading earth and teaming up with an organization faintly representing the Nazis. And you could play as either a guy or a girl, each with slightly different mission layouts. I don’t know what more you could ask for from a handheld game the size of a GameBoy advanced and at a fraction of the price (I think, my cousin bought it for me).

13. James Bond: Everything or Nothing

wallpaper_james_bond_007_everything_or_nothing_03_1024.jpg

Great graphics, great (and long) campaign, and on the great PS2. And who doesn’t love James Bond? You had driving missions, stealth missions, Rambo missions, and training missions (along with a minigame unlocked at the completion of the campaign which was like no other). The guns were all great, and wall cover was probably one of the most useful at the time; you have your back to the wall and in 3rd person you could aim at enemies and then shoot. No more leaning! And the story was like a whole new Bond movie, though the ‘Russian wants to dominate the world with nukes and eliminate everything that stands in his way, including the New Orleans levies’ theme is a bit cliché. Still, killing endless amounts of enemies with bullets or hand to hand combat never gets old. And the co-op campaign is one of the best I’ve played, and actually requires teamwork.

14. GTA Vice City

16.jpg

Don’t actually own this game, but have played it and I must say it is very fun. You can go pretty much anywhere and do whatever you want. Dropping a tank in the middle of the city is always fun, and flying helicopters into the water is a great alternative to suicide by cop. Not a fan of the violence level, but the graphics are bad enough (by today’s standards) that it is sometimes funny to see your guy fighting and killing. And doing jobs for people keeps the game fresh. I feel this game pioneered a new wave of violence :P

15. Resident Evil 4

LeonGangster.jpg

This game to me was not scary, and the story was very interesting. And sometimes, killing those hooded figures with napalm-bombs brought on minutes of laughter. My friend and I would always load from a save point right next to one of those guys, and do a whole skit like “You! You killed my father!” or funny crap like that, then proceed to napalm his ass. The game play was very fun and kept you on your toes for those boss battles. Some of the killing moves were comical, and the cheat for unlimited Tommy Gun ammo and a Chicago gangster look allowed for so many fun moments where you just mowed down hordes of zombies and those pesky chainsaw guys.

Edited by xxxgod

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

wow, great choices. its nice to know im not the only one who loves generals and forza 3.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Should i be ashamed of not knowing the backyard games? :unsure:

Just about, but they were mainly for computer, so. :mellow:

And yes, good list indeed. I'm a driving-game fan, so I'm glad you included FM3 (though I only have a GayCube so I can't say too much, but I've played quite a few of those on the list).

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Ha, Backyard Baseball. Those were some damn good days. I once played Pablo Sanchez through an entire season with a 1.000 batting average. He was such a beast.

Good list, though I must say that I wasn't a hugggeee fan of Everything or Nothing.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

I think everything or nothing was very under-rated in the media. It was a very fun game.

The main one I would disagree with was Forza 3. Don't get me wrong it is a good game, but in my opinion it just isn't as fun as many other driving games. I brought it a few months ago, and I am personally a huge driving fan, but Forza has left me very bored. I had and loved the original, but something with the third stopped me enjoying it to its fullest. I think it is the race calender system. Once you choose your championship, you HAVE to complete it before doing another. By the middle of the game races are lasting 10-15 minutes, with 5-7 races per championship it is very easy to get bored of your current car and stop playing the game. I also feel the massive lack of tracks to be a big turn off. It boasts 30+ tracks, but there are probably under 10, a short and long version, then each of those reversed.

Metal slug is an incredibly fun arcade game. It is so fast and so fun.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

WOAH

At first I thought I wouldn't like this list at all 'cause it looked like a bunch of old console games (aka games I've never played), but [bleep] that's a nice list. Backyard Baseball was the game of my childhood (didn't get into "intense" gaming until a few years ago). You have the typical classics (OoT, Tetris, etc.), but Mario Kart 64 just tops it all off.

I mean I'm sure there are some games on here that I wouldn't like if I tried them, but still. :thumbup:

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Yay for CoD4 and RE4.

I was going to put Gran Turismo, but seeing as its been 6 years since the last release, the best aspect of that game was already surpassed.

Well GT5 prologue came out, and its good but obviously limited in that its a taster for the main game. I should think GT5 will trump Forza 3, simply for the amazing level of detail they seem to be putting in and the quantity of cars.

Yay for CoD4 and RE4.

I was going to put Gran Turismo, but seeing as its been 6 years since the last release, the best aspect of that game was already surpassed.

Well GT5 prologue came out, and its good but obviously limited in that its a taster for the main game. I should think GT5 will trump Forza 3, simply for the amazing level of detail they seem to be putting in and the quantity of cars.

cant really base it just off prologue ;) but rest assured, had GT5 came out, it would be on the list

uhmm...why did my pokemon red image become an "oh snap"?

modmarkl.jpg

Yay for CoD4 and RE4.

cant really base it just off prologue ;) but rest assured, had GT5 came out, it would be on the list

uhmm...why did my pokemon red image become an "oh snap"?

The host probably doesn't allow outside usage.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm going to guess you started playing games when the N64 came out?

Pretty safe picks overall. I don't agree with some of the choices personally (CoD4, Halo) but ah well :P.

Backyard baseball. [bleep] YES.

I had a boring early childhood game wise. :(

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

oh [bleep]! forgot to put starfox 64.....

modmarkl.jpg

I assume Atom Smash40s your old username or something? Because before I clicked on the thread I had no idea who it was lol.

cant really base it just off prologue but rest assured, had GT5 came out, it would be on the list

if it ever comes out, pretty sure its been delayed like 3 times now.

I assume Atom Smash40s your old username or something? Because before I clicked on the thread I had no idea who it was lol.

yes, yes it is. xxxgod seems a bit weird, would probably lead people to think that all the games on the list would be leisure suit larry.

modmarkl.jpg

Yeah, should've included Starfox 64 for sure. ;) Also, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was just as amazing as OoT. I actually like it more, as the storyline is much darker, the main "campaign" or goal is longer, and there are WAY more side-quests and hidden things to find. One of the great things about both games, too, is the amazing music.

Other than that, some of my favorite games of all time are on your list. You're missing the Metroid games, though. :(

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

didn't put metroid because I have actually never played any of them

modmarkl.jpg

NO WAY! You can pretty much pick up any of them and be amazed. Super Metroid for SNES is one of the best games ever made. The Metroid Prime series (two for GC, one for Wii) is just perfect. You should really look into them.

EDIT: Metroid Fusion for GBA is really intense and eerie, too.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Blasphamy! Get a wii and buy Super Metroid and Prime trilogy now :eek:

Like morning rise said, Fusion is pretty good too, specially fr speed runs :thumbup:

Ew Wii.

I want to try Backyard Baseball, it sounds like a whole heap of fun.

you wont regret it. mind you, i had the 2003 version i believe.

best team:

ichiro

jeter

a-rod

pablo sanchez

randy johnson

sammy sosa

ken griffey jr.

shawn green

giambi (must play him at 1st base)

modmarkl.jpg

Ew Wii.

I want to try Backyard Baseball, it sounds like a whole heap of fun.

you wont regret it. mind you, i had the 2003 version i believe.

best team:

ichiro

jeter

a-rod

pablo sanchez

randy johnson

sammy sosa

ken griffey jr.

shawn green

giambi (must play him at 1st base)

You need Pete Wheeler.

10postchm2105.png