Minecraft General

demby123

While hunting down pigs for meat, I saw one a little farther way trying to flee or so I assumed. It hopped on a ledge and went to the other side, I went up and saw this...

pigofdestiny.png

I think this place is just a gem. Thank you mighty pig of destiny.

vizardsig-1.png

*sigh* It used to be fun on freebuild servers, but then guess what happened. Yeah, that's right, 4chan happened. So of course they destroy, and deface with swastikas and penises. But nothing else of course, those [developmentally delayed]s have literally nothing else in their arsenal. I spent a couple hours constructing the exterior of hyrule castle from link to the past but I didn't even get a screenshot before like 4 of those bastards swarmed me.

Classic build servers need a way of barring people who haven't bought the game. If a paid account gets banned at least then it would be hard to grief again. You can only beg your parents so much before they say stfu, after all... :)

Blame 4chan.

For everything.

Oh yeah, like I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. I'm just assuming it's 4chan. Like my friend didn't direct me to a thread on 4chan about minecraft which is about when this [cabbage] started happening. I'm not talking about a few griefers here and there, I'm talking [bleep]ing dozens. At the same time. Oh yeah and they actually said it themselves that they were from /b/. So yeah.

K, well after reading my post again I guess I am being a bit unfair to 4chan. After all it was likely mostly /b/tards involved, and, seeing as when they organize crap like this they usually take it to IRC, it's possible members of other forums were involved in the "raid" that happened when I was on, not just /b/.

Anyway. Little story to tell. So I decided after my hyrule castle exterior model was demolished to make the interior in Alpha, so I use MCEdit to create a massive block of dirt in the middle of the ocean. I barely had the outline of the first room done when night fell, and I continued working. Then suddenly, I started seeing figures appear on the horizon... and more... and more. So before I know it I'm surrounded by a TON of zombies, skeletons, creepers, and spiders. I honestly wasn't expecting them to spawn on something I had hacked into the game, so I was a bit surprised lol. That and I have never seen that many mobs in one place. It's like I created a hotbox for mobs.

From Notch's blog.

Hiring some people, getting an office, and all that!

I will get back to posting about actual Minecraft development soon, but bear with me for some more business news:

Its Monday, the trip to Bellevue is over, and plans are slowly turning into reality. I met a lot of really interesting people over there and got a bunch of new potential business contacts, but for the immediate future I will be investing the money Ive saved up into hiring people and starting up a proper company.

Or, rather, a close friend and I will be starting up a new company together. That company will continue to develop Minecraft. I will be the main developer, and I will keep working on it just as I have now, but there will be people supporting me, such as an artist, a web site developer and a business guy to help sort out all deals and make sure that things like the Creeper plushies actually happens.

My friend (name withheld for a while for office political reasons) will lead development of a game idea he and I have talked about for a few years. It will be developed in parallel with Minecraft, and has a fairly different style both in visuals and gameplay. Everyone working at the company will be involved in both projects to some degree.

Well get an actual office type of thing somewhere in Stockholm. Well have mandatory game playing hours every week to make sure people are a jour with the latest games (indie and otherwise), and to help build office spirit.

If you live in (or can move to) Stockholm, are good at 2D graphics (pixels, gui, illustration), play a lot of games, and want to get a new job, please email [email protected] with a work sample and a short introduction and a summary of what youve done before.

Were also looking for a web developer. Ideally this person should both be able to handle the front end and the back end of web development. If you know what a Cloud is and can explain it to me, thats a huge plus. ;)

[edit:]

If youre worried this means Ill spend more time on administration:

I spent way too much time already doing non-development stuff, like talking to paypal about them unlocking my account, traveling abroad, and sorting through support emails to see what bugs there are.

I will now hire a person to do all this for me, and some more people to help do the stuff I cant do well myself (like the website, and some of the art (the armor)). Im already getting amazing help with the sounds from C418, so I know getting help just makes me more productive. :D

Now that he is starting to hire people, Minecraft might begin to take off completely. Development will be a lot faster and it might reach Beta before the new year, perfect! :thumbsup:

vizardsig-1.png

Boy. What would be amazing is if he repaired his relations with Rolf (developer of Wurm Online, which Notch used to work on before Minecraft btw) and were able to fuse both games and development under one company. With the success of Minecraft and the devs/staff that could be hired with it both games could take off. Rolf is probably not this unnamed friend, though. Sad.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

I would have been impressed if you didn't hack it.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Question, how are your world's organised? For me I have 2 serious, (Normal mode, spawns more mobs then Hard for some reason, and does about the same damage so it is basically the hardest.) 2 casual (peaceful, large project constructions, etc.) and one for randomness (Hacking, destroying a quarter of it with TNT, etc.)

vizardsig-1.png

I did it for the lols. Why would I care if you were impressed? And why would you be impressed if someone wasted months placing 100k+ blocks? :blink:

But do you think we care you hacked?

And I would be impressed because, god damn, they are freaking dedicated.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I did it for the lols. Why would I care if you were impressed? And why would you be impressed if someone wasted months placing 100k+ blocks? :blink:

Dedication is very impression, a very fine example of heavy dedication. Fort Zero

bi6if.png

vizardsig-1.png

God damn, is that all anyone ever wants to do anyone, is draw attention to themselves and try to impress others, that when someone posts something just because they thought it looked awesome, all anyone can say is "nobody cares, you hacked lol". Seriously.

Strangest/coolest thing happened to me in Minecraft.

I started a new map, which seemed to be very islandy. I started out on like a 10x10 sandbar in the middle of the ocean and had to swim to the nearest bigger island, and started setting up shop. Found a nice little tunnel that went from one end of the island to the other, which was kinda weird, with loads of smaller tunnels branching off into their own cave systems, which was the first time I'd seen anything like that.

So I pick one and start mining away, I'm pretty far down, and just kinda expanding my place looking for Iron/Gold/Coal, and then hissing started. I spun around and pulled my sword out and started swinging... there was nothing there, and the hissing stops. I shrug, go back to the wall and start mining again. Hissing starts, I ignore it, thinking it's an audio glitch or whatever. The wall next to me explodes, taking me down to like 4 hearts. After freaking out and swinging my pick around a couple of times, I look to where the explosion was. Aaaaand there's an absolutely massive cavern on the other side, with like iron and gold in it. And skeletons.

I would have mined right past it if it wasn't for that Creeper. I have no idea how it managed to see me/explode on me from behind a wall, but whatever, I thank it anyway.

It'd be cool if like the higher levels of mobs (spider-riders, any more they add in) dropped unique pieces of loot, or something. Like weapons with an effect, tools that are especially strong/sharp, armour that improves an aspect of work. Or do they already? I haven't encountered any. ._.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

So is any part of this game free?

Classic(Creative Mode) is free. The full game or what will be a full game which is in Alpha at the moment is 10 Euros at the moment. When the game hits beta it will increase in price slightly.

vizardsig-1.png

I would like to play this. I bought the alpha and keep getting this error when I try to start it up. Sent an email to support but the auto-reply was pretty much "im too busy to answer you" and the forums didn't seem to be any help. I did think it was odd it says I am running Win7 x32 when I do have x64.

Minecraft has crashed!

----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to [email protected].

Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528 --------

Generated 9/12/10 7:30 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft Alpha v1.1.0

Java: 1.6.0_21, Sun Microsystems Inc.

VM: Java HotSpot Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Sun Microsystems Inc.

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: GeForce GTX 260M/PCI/SSE2 version 3.3.0, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported

at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:64)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGenLists(GL11.java:1393)

at df.a(SourceFile:13)

at kd.<init>(SourceFile:62)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:212)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:554)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT db89dd2f ----------

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I would like to play this. I bought the alpha and keep getting this error when I try to start it up. Sent an email to support but the auto-reply was pretty much "im too busy to answer you" and the forums didn't seem to be any help. I did think it was odd it says I am running Win7 x32 when I do have x64.

Minecraft has crashed!

----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to [email protected].

Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528 --------

Generated 9/12/10 7:30 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft Alpha v1.1.0

Java: 1.6.0_21, Sun Microsystems Inc.

VM: Java HotSpot Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Sun Microsystems Inc.

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: GeForce GTX 260M/PCI/SSE2 version 3.3.0, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported

at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:64)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGenLists(GL11.java:1393)

at df.a(SourceFile:13)

at kd.<init>(SourceFile:62)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:212)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:554)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT db89dd2f ----------

Odd. Are you using the browser or the downloadable client? The client always crashes for me within a few minutes, but the browser works perfectly fine. In the menu adjust some settings too. I crash occasionally when I have far render distance, but never on Normal.

Also-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyFiWfIe8A

Was fun to do with some friends. (I didn't record it through, a friend did.)

vizardsig-1.png

Both browser and client. And it won't even let me to the menu.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I don't know if this is what's wrong with yours, but I got an error similar to that, and I fixed it by changing down my Java -xmx thingy to 245.

Not sure how it is on W7, but on Vista I just searched javacpl went to Java>Java Applet Runtime Settings> View and then just put 245 in the Java Runtime Parameter, and it worked fine.

This is for the downloaded one, not the browser. The browser one always worked fine for me, strangely enough.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men