Minecraft General

demby123

Well, got it working. Evidently my issue was bad video drivers.

I have a small bailey at the moment. Two floors up and one underground. It overlooks a massive open mine full of coal. I've also gone down to the lava layer and found a cavern with the ruby crap, some gold, diamonds, and iron. Desperately searching for iron, though.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

[hide]plminecraftb20005.jpg[/hide]

Cross posting this in here, Saw SilverSword post it in the TF2 thread and thought it was awesome.

Also made me think that when damage comes out on servers (and hopefully friendly fire or PvP damage too) I might try and end up making competitive maps on the server :P. Could probably just make arenas or something ;D and then make up rules for them like deathmatch, Team deathmatch, CTF, ect. Could even do a bomb diffusal type of map by placing a diamond block or something as the "bomb" and you need to mine it to get it defused :D.

Update. Started a new world and made a "hobbit hole" (12x12x4 stone building completely covered with dirt and grass) and from there began a 4x4 shaft down to the bedrock. A staircase winds down around it. And I mean real stairs, as in no jumping.

I did strike into a very rich cavern and am starting to uncover a bit of ore. I am still 20 or so layers from having the shaft hit bottom.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Got Minecraft a few days ago and I'm loving it!

I started my first world and I got a world with huge mountains going up into the clouds and lava flowing out of one of the mountains into a lake, I might post a screenie a little later.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

On my single player game I found a cave with a ton of minerals. Got a ton of stuff and then started to mine an obsidian rock.

Mined it, jumped down to get it and lava flowed in from the right killing me and burning all of my items.

FML.

[bleep] those ninja creepers. Bastard fell through a hole I mined and killed me in one hit D:

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Seriously though, this game is one of the scarier ones I've played in single-player. You just don't know what's down there, and the fact that everything is randomly generated, you can't be too prepared D:

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

This game is so awesome.

I started playing this afternoon, and my brother saw me and it turns out he payed the $10 for an account a while ago, and would let me use it.

I built a house in a naturally-occuring tunnel thing, with an above-ground area outside one end of it. I'm currently working on building a glass roof for the outside area. I also created a tunnel down to a cave with lava and stuff, but had to fill it in because I didn't know about ladders at the time. When I get enough wood for it, I'll go back down.

On top of the house I built a pillar straight into the air by holding down space and right-click, so now I can always find my house. I also figured out how to swim up waterfalls to reach new areas of caves by holding space.

The only bad thing was that I built the house sort of far from my respawn point, and far from the beach. When I get time I'd like to build a boat and go exploring the ocean.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but if it works it would be fun to get a TIF mine going.

By the way,

[spoiler==O]

No, resetting spawns won't be fun. Build a spawn platform, with a looping minecart track which leaves from there once loaded and will automatically go back to your spawn when you leave the cart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcKSo3bSSI

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

Yeah, well, to my defense I think I posted it before it was revealed he used some software to make it!

Anyway, even though I don't really understand what the guy in your video just made, I'm sure it's cool as hell.

Gonna have to agree with whoever said Minecraft is an autism simulator because the stuff some of these geeks come up with is just mind-boggling. In a good way.

edit: Also, I currently have 1481 iron bars and 68 diamond ores. I'm lost as to what to do with all of it. icon_e_sad.gif

Minecart system?

I've started on one that I would continue on if only the game had some kind of x-ray feature. Pretty much impossible to figure out where you are exactly. Right now I just aimlessly dig around and hope that I don't flood the tunnel. But if I want the tracks go around inside the mountain, and then come out of it from a certain place, I'd have to spend hours upon hours digging around, measuring and keeping track of my steps. Ugh.

2009rb9.jpg

I found diamonds in the cave in my base, plus a ton of redstone, lava, water, and obsidian. Then I started building a glass dome for the courtyard around my house. I decided I would go to a different island for sand so I wouldn't have to rip up my beaches, and I ended up getting lost. I logged off at night, completely lost, with tons of sand in my inventory and a 3 by 3 house around me.

I have plans to make a huge underwater glass room, as soon as I figure out how to get back to my spawn without losing all the sand I collected.

map5-obliqueangle-day-1.png?t=1285966979

According to the guy who posted it, he thought Notch added Biomes. Somebody said that the terrain looked a bit odd, and it might have been created by a rare glitch. The glitch makes previous chunks of the world from it before to be generated. So occasionally you might find a structure that looks familiar, or torches in a cave. Pretty crazy.

vizardsig-1.png

Any tips on starting out? I'm really confused. :(

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Any tips on starting out? I'm really confused. :(

Hold down left mouse to mine, right mouse to craft. First, mine some trees and some dirt. Hit I to open the inventory, and put the logs in the "crafting" space, then click the result box a bunch of times to turn it into refined wood. Now craft yourself a shelter by placing blocks on top of each other. When it's night-time, go inside the shelter and stay there.

To start making things, first make a toolbench. You do this by putting one piece of refined wood in each of the four spaces on your crafting thing. Right click to place one. Place the toolbench in your shelter. Now right click the toolbench and you'll see a larger crafting space. Put some (not all) refined wood in two squares, one on top of the other, to make sticks. Now make a wooden pickaxe by making a T with wood across the top and sticks as the handle.

From here, you're ready to start on your own. Things are made by putting items in the shape of the object you're making. If you need recipes, check the minecraft wiki. The first thing I would do is mine some stone for a better pickaxe, then mine some coal for some torches.

Before you start building a mine or exploring natural mines, I would reccommend having a stone pickaxe, a stone shovel, a stone sword, torches, and ladders.

If you're still confused, there are tons of good vids on youtube. Seananners is doing a Minecraft series right now, actually.

[hide]

[/hide]

To find a lot of ore I would suggest this: Dig around the ore, not the ore itself. Usually a vein is next to another, which leads to more. I've found a 21 vein of coal, next to it was 2 diamond ore, and a vein of about 12 iron. Pretty amazing what you find doing that.

vizardsig-1.png

From NeoGAF. Man those guys are amazing at building.

So anybody that's not on TouchMyBox's server should probably see this. We made an awesome football stadium with some great teamwork within about a week.

Here's a couple of good shots of it from the outside.

Clipboard01.jpg

01.jpg

Here's the front entrance ticket booths, and you can see a couple vendor booths behind it.

02.jpg

And here's the field and the bleachers. The "LOL" you see on the right is the jumbotron/scoreboard. You can also see some of the skyboxes up top.

Clipboard03.jpg

We've even got a set of locker rooms, complete with showers.

Clipboard06.jpg

Here's inside the main skybox, which is the control room. This is just above the jumbotron.

Clipboard04.jpg

Here's a better glimpse of the glass dome on top. This thing was a pain in the ass to work on.

Clipboard05.jpg

Just like to take this opportunity again to thank everybody who helped me with this huge project! It was a lot of fun to make. =)

vizardsig-1.png

Meh. I'm not sure it's really worth the $10. I'm beginning to get bored of it, mostly because all the mining and building and getting lost just gets repetitive eventually. Also, the fact that it's in Alpha annoys me, as my stuff keeps getting deleted. It duplicated my gem pickaxe though :thumbsup:

My last project will probably be an underwater glass cavern filled with lava :twisted: If I can manage to actually collect lava without deciding to get killed while exploring dungeons.

By the way, does anyone know of a multiplayer server I could join, just to test it out? I'm curious to see what it's like to build with other people.