Minecraft General

demby123

minecraftundergroundani.png

Just a room out of my underground cave base thing for animal spawning - so I don't have to risk hunting outside for pork :P or gathering feathers, for that matter. Feathers I need/want more right now for arrows, honestly.

Simple process bringing grass underground, though it takes a few days. just make your dirt floor underground, connect it via more dirt blocks to the above ground grass covered blocks, light up the path down (grass needs light from torches), and wait.

Some days I get nothing down here animal wise, other days there's at least a half dozen animals if not more >.> it's really random, but I found it useful. Just, if you do any underground farming (wheat), make sure to block it off with doors or something to keep spawned animals from wandering in and stomping everything dead. Speaking of, my wheat field is probably nearly ready... not like I need any more food, lol.

Currently, I'm investigating a cave system somewhere nearby my base, although I honestly have zero clue where exactly it is >.> found plenty of iron so far, and some coal, so I've set up a small temp base for smelting and storage while I keep investigating (brought 3 stacks of raw lumber, so I won't be leaving till I'm ready to).

Only thing of minor interest besides iron/coal that I found was one lava and waterfall near one another that I have yet to work my way down to. No obsidian nearby, though. Not like I can mine it anyway, I left my diamond pick at home >.<

If I get too overly full of ores, I'll probably turn some of my iron bars into minetracks and a cart or two and figure out just how that works >.> should be amusing, since it took me like 4 hours to wire my base and house for my loot indicator for my mob trap, lol.

Oh, and on the clay front: found... 124 clay bits (so 31 blocks) in my adventures that increased my map size from 4 mb to 15.5mb or something like that. Destroyed I dunno how many boats wandering around due to random glitches where the boat shoots out from underneath me when I exit and self destructs when it hits land >.< I did find a large number of reeds, though. That's good, it saves me the effort of having to farm a ton of them for bookcases and the like.

Well, back to mining I go. Why this is so bloody addictive I dunno, lol.

EDIT: Took the time to count the coal I have stored after smelting the iron ore I found in my most recent cave activity. 1012 pieces of coal stored o_o why I find so much I really don't know... in comparison, I have 138 iron bars right now, although I'm starting to fool around with minecarts now, so that'll probably decrease fairly fast.

Link_Olaran.png

Today I found a huge cave system, got real lots of coal and iron, and a few buckets of Lava, but I have yet to find diamond :S. I got lost in there for a few hours and dug up to the surface in the end, and I saw that I went very far in that cave system, good thing I made a tower to mark where my main stuff is.

Finally turned the difficulty back up to easy (then normal after a bit), hoping to get into a few scrapes with the local monsters. Not much luck, sadly. They seem to be avoiding me >.> I usually see a creeper or two fairly far away on a nearby beach, and maybe a skeleton or two a fair distance away, but not much of anything nearby. I'm thinking it's because there are a fair number of torches about, but... meh. I'm sure I'll regret the want to fight these critters eventually :P I know my luck with stuff like this, lol.

Decided that, since I've never, ever seen a dungeon before, to use Minecraft X-ray to hunt a few down. Marked down a few, and I've build a small base that should be right above one. Hopefully. Not a clue what I'll find, but it's sure to be interesting. Just hope it's not 'interesting' in the way of finding out how badly lava burns or something >.>

Think after the dungeon hunts I'll head back to my base and head down my main mineshaft down to the bedrock and try to find some more diamonds. I could use some more. Plus I might need a diamond for a record player if I get extremely lucky and get one from that dungeon.

I want so badly to test TNT out, but I have one piece of gunpowder stored somewhere, that's it. Need to find more creepers... and preferably not exploding ones.

Link_Olaran.png

So far I've found more Redstone than iron. I might make a little out-house to encase my spawn, I won't need a compass as I'm making a giant tower which will have lava flowing down the sides. so provided I only travel during the day I shall be safe, but to be sure I'll make some arrows by camping in my outhouse so that zombies and skeletons spawn outside and die when it becomes daylight.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

mobtrap.png

Finished my mob trap, based on a design I found on the forums. It involves building around the 0,0 chunk which apparently some some people have found is special with regards to the spawning algorithm in that it it is always checked first in any given iteration and goes randomly from there to ~20 other chunks.

The OP's version gets something about 11,000 drops per hour. That's extending from the sky limit all the way down to the adminium with about 28 spawning floors. Mine only goes down 30 below sea level, and as you can see isn't finished (only about 18 floors ATM). Though honestly I'm not sure I even want to add the remaining floors. It's awesome watching the mobs plummet to their deaths. And I already have more gunpowder than I know what to do with.

Done by hand btw. Worth noting that the guy's 11,000 version was made in MCEdit. :-P

Pic of item flow canal:

mobitemflow.png

Anyone know how to make a stone generator? Searched the Minecraft Forums and found nothing useful. <_<

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Do you mean how to make stone yourself? If so put coal + cobblestone (what you get when you mine stone) in a furnace at a ratio of 1 coal per 8 cobblestone.

I'm guessing Neo either means that, or how to set up water + lava for you to mine cobblestone from, Furah. If it's the cobblestone generator.. well, the only knowledge I have is from the lava article on the Minecraft wiki:

"If a horizontal lava flow collides with water, Cobblestone is created, but if a vertical lava flow collides with water, the water is removed.. In Alpha v.1.0.6_03 Obsidian is created from water colliding with a lava spring. This "technique" can be used to manipulate water and lava or to harvest cobblestone and obsidian."

This explains how the two need to meet, but how on earth you mine the stone without incinerating yourself or the stone, I haven't a clue >.< there should be vids on youtube or something for creating one, though.

And Peronix, I am so checking that trap out. I'm curious as to how the monster spawning process works to begin with (created a new world, and I'm literally seeing several dozen critters a night rather than 4-5/night like in my main world), and making a trap like this... a very, very, very large project by hand. Might have to go to peaceful difficulty to pull it off, though. Unless I spend several hours carting stone, glass, wood, etc to the 0,0 spot first, then start building... very interesting.

Googled monster spawning "0,0", and I'm on the Minecraft forum now. Considering the title of the topic (Mob Spawning Science), I'm guessing it's the right topic. If it isn't, ah well. Still something interesting to read.

... If I can get this done, and manage to stockpile a bunch of TNT, I will be a very happy miner.

Link_Olaran.png

Link, I took some pictures for you, people do what's called Obsidian farming. You need 7 buckets of lava and 1 bucket of water, which you can use again.

o5yr83.jpg

1zqtqx1.jpg

Got it... but it keeps crashing. :unsure:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Any help on game crashes?

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Oh man I remember that back in July, that was pretty creepy.

Was cautious for a while in Minecraft.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

... I can safely say that the Herobrine article creeped me right the hell out. Jeebus, the thought of seeing this... urgh, don't want to think about it lol.

Started a new world, made myself a house made of dirt with trees growing out of the roof. Currently in the process of digging a mineshaft and collecting material for building the water trap I had in my other save. Also, monsters are freaking everywhere on this save. literally seeing at least a dozen a night, got enough string for three bows already. At least I won't lose it this time. Just need a crapton of feathers and I should be good.

I'm venturing out into the night more and more now, getting used to combat again. I still hate skeletons, but at least creepers are a little less... threatening. I'll probably regret that statement eventually >.> I need iron, though. Hopefully I'll locate some somewhere... and preferably not having to venture into a cave, I'm not ready for that yet.

Furah, I've actually seen some obsidian generators before, and attempted it a few times myself. It takes ages to mine, even with a diamond pick >.< I use an infinite water source for that, though.

.... I'm slightly afraid of playing Minecraft now because of that wiki page. Wonderful.

Link_Olaran.png

I really like reading your posts in this thread, Link.

Yeah, I'm creeped out when I play too now. Because of the video that goes with it, I have it in my head that his calling card is a chicken in an unusual place. I just encountered a chicken in a cavern near the bedrock.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Want to know what's really creepy? A friend of mine that I got addicted to this as well showed me a screenshot of her playing earlier today. Guess what was in the background >_>

It looked almost exactly like the picture on the wiki, just from a little bit more to the left, and there was a pig on a tree in the background. Really, I dunno if it was a screenie she took or not, but I believe her. And that really makes me nervous...

And that damned chicken was in the screenie she showed me too. I'm killing every one of them I see from now on.

The music alone is enough to get me paranoid, lol. Never mind the sound effects of the various monsters, or the possibility of being stealth killed yet again by a creeper >.< I'm constantly looking around now, and I turn my view distance up to far before I head out of my house to make sure there's nothing lurking nearby before I leave. Creepers like hiding straight below my house (it's up on a hill that I knocked all the ledges off of so nothing can get up on top of it, so it's a drop down from the ladder).

... Talking about skeletons reminds me of my first few encounters with them. Such as the one with it sitting up in a tall tree (how the hell it got there I don't know, there was a cliff nearby, maybe it jumped from there) and pelting me with arrows until I built a tower up the trunk to get at it. Or the one where a skeleton got stuck on my front door and was shooting through it. Or whenever they find an area I dug out and left a small ledge for them to hide under from the sun...

I really don't like skeletons.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment :) I really enjoy reading (and watching vids whenever I can) of other people playing this, it's really fascinating how... different our worlds can be. I got lucky with this spawn, it had a coal vein in the floor of my house and one just outside, but looking at the x-ray map viewer, there are no dungeons for a large distance in every direction... plus no iron that I've seen yet, but I haven't ventured terribly far from my spawn yet.

Link_Olaran.png

Speaking of skeletons, funny story about that mob trap I built. Those glass chutes? They weren't there before. And guess what. The skeletons would shoot at me WHILE THEY WERE FALLING. They fall really fast. Like a split second before they appear and hit the ground. And yet they still sniped me in mid flight. Then a creeper somehow escaped, a hole was made in the wall and... peaceful mode. -.- FFS, godamned skeletons with their 0.00001th second reaction time and perfect aim.

Well, got the nerve to start playing again, and the first thing I do is get lost while I'm hunting for bacon and iron. I am not surprised >.>

I'm not losing my base due to my fail this time though, so I used x-ray to figure out where the heck I was. Way to the south, apparently. There's some clay nearby, so I'll nab that while I'm here and head home before it gets dark. At least I'm armed and don't have to dig a grave and bury myself to survive now, lol.

Also, a creeper randomly activated quite a while ago and blew a nice sized crater right in front of my house. I dunno, but maybe it had something to do with the skeleton nearby, since I wasn't anywhere near close enough to get a creeper to explode. Really odd. Then, the next day, another creeper exploded and sent me flying off a small cliff. At least I survived, another first.

Still no freaking iron to be found. I might have to start digging...

Link_Olaran.png

Maybe I just got lucky, but this is how much stuff I got from mining with one 64 stack of TNT at adminium level.

tntmining.png

...I have two more stacks. And a large chest completely full of gunpowder, needing only me to go out and harvest the sand. I love my mob tower <3:

Gah, this is frustrating. I've tried it on 2 computers and the game still crashes. >.>

-Random Youtuber

Got it working on Sam's mac. Making torches seems to be a problem for me. How would you go about making a good shelter?

-Random Youtuber