Minecraft General

demby123

Where would you suggest making a mine? I've got quite a few large holes near my shelter (which has a crapload of torches in it).

Does a shovel actually have any use?

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Where would you suggest making a mine? I've got quite a few large holes near my shelter (which has a crapload of torches in it).

Does a shovel actually have any use?

Shovels are for either really, really lazy people, or people who have left-over materials.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Shovels are really great for clearing out stuff for various projects that use the above ground.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Caves generally have a fairly large number of already exposed mineral veins if you wanted to go that route. If you just want to make a mine, then I always dig a shaft in the back of my house (hopefully walling it off partway so I don't fall in it in my own stupidity, which happens quite a bit), and digging out branches from the main shaft. Depending on what pattern of mining you use, you can usually cover most/all possible spots veins could be. I tend to dig a main branch off the shaft, then dig a tunnel every two squares off of it, that generally covers most of the blocks and it's quicker than mining a massive hole. If you do put the main shaft in your house though, keep it well lit so mobs down spawn down there. Would suck if something came up >_> Also, use ladders (7 sticks arranged in an H form) to climb in and out. You can use one ladder every other block and still climb it.

I generally use shovels almost as much as I do pickaxes. I always bring some of both (although more picks than shovels) whenever I go cave digging. The less time I spend digging up dirt and gravel is more time I have to find minerals before I get exploded by a creeper or something.

Axes are the tool I find the least use for, since one or two good tree harvests from saplings and I'm set for weeks in game >.> those and [garden tools], but the same sort of thing applies (a few wheat harvests lasts quite a long time, plus even a large ish farm only needs 2-3 [garden tools]/harvest once you get the seeds), plus I have a crapton of pork stored already.

I'm still mining out that obsidian in the pic in my last post. Turns out there's a fourth layer underneath the three visible ones, and there's a possibility of a fifth if I'm lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it). Still planning on digging around for diamonds after I get this pool of lava mined out, though. Also, this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/22/minecraft-halloween-update-preview-meet-the-ghasts/

If the link doesn't work, go to Notch's tumblr site and the most recent post should have the link as well. Anyway, we get a first look at how ghasts operate here, plus how the portals will be built. Good thing I started mining obsidian, lol. I didn't even know about this update when I did either.

Anyway, back to obsidian mining.

Link_Olaran.png

I have two and a half stacks of obsidian already >_> still not done, and there's two other lava pools about 5 seconds walk away from here. I think I'll leave them alone though, the length of time it takes to mine one block is driving me up the wall.

Hopefully, once I get my buckets in order, I can fix Fail Lake... *cough* and build a halfway decent railway bridge across it that lets me boat under it.

But yeah, the ghasts... good god, those will be annoying. At least fire is a bit more visible than arrows, so hopefully it'll be somewhat easy to dodge. Getting the feeling that a bucket of water would be of use down there, though. Considering how many times one will light their ass on fire >.>

Link_Olaran.png

I have a farm of 200+ obsidian in my mine, and I don't want to start mining for it.

On a related note, my minecart system which pushes me out of my mine (from lava level to the top) generates so much momentum that some of the carts disappear. And reapper on the other end of my track, occasionally.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Aeon, shovels are for dirt and gravel, so yes, they're useful, but not as useful as pickaxes.

The Hell dimension looks awesome, as do the ghasts. Looks like I'll be getting back into Minecraft :thumbsup:

Oh, and I like how the portal system removes the necessity for minecart tracks, as long as you're willing to have a little fun. What, am I the only one who likes burning to death? Bah, if you were a real man you would light yourself on fire.

I have lit myself on fire. Multiple times. Once, was with a flint and steel trying to light my way through the black of night without a torch... but I didn't mean to turn myself into the actual torch >_> another time was just an hour ago, where lava lit me on fire through a wall. Yes, a wall. I still don't know how it happened, all I know is I was mining my obsidian and poof, flames. They died quick though, since I had water everywhere.

Speaking of obsidian, that lava flow that I started mining, according to xray, goes on for several map chunks. So it ain't a lake, it's a freaking river. And it goes everywhere. I have 288 obsidian blocks now, I'm giving up before my diamond pick breaks. If I need more though, I know where to go at least :P

Picking through the cave to locate some diamonds, then I'm heading to the surface and trekking back to base. I'll probably have to toss something to hold all the crap I picked up, though.

Link_Olaran.png

[hide=GEE GUYS, Seems legit right?]G2e5X.png[/hide]

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I don't know Shiny, but I'll note it reminds me heavily of the graphics of Link to the Past... maybe a coincidence, but I know there's at least one Zelda texture pack out there. I'll take a look, I bookmarked one last night to look at actually.

Link_Olaran.png

What texture mod is that?

sTd5h.png

[hide=How to change your terrain.] vfqbz.jpg[/hide]

Ah, I recognize the texture mod, or at least the creatore of it. Doku makes the RPG texture pack, if I recall correctly. And those textures sure look like SNES quality rpg textures to me >.>

Link to the forum topic: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=25676

Overall, it's a really nice texture pack, although I never tried it myself :P I like the original textures for some reason. Guess I'm nostalgic or something, even though I've only been playing a bit over a week.

Right, quick update on my progress. Mined more diamonds before I exited the massive pools of lava cave I had spend the previous 4 hours mining obsidian in, and went dungeon delving after I dropped by base to drop off loot. Up to 9 buckets now, so I should be able to fix Fail Lake and get a move on with my cobblestone bridge and minecart system. Got another bundle of iron ore/ingots as well from dungeons and mining, so that's even better. I should be well over the needed amount by now.

If anyone's interested, I suppose I could post a pic of my base, but it's nothing special. It is, after all, made of dirt >_> hell, it's one room, lol. Just a bunch of chests, but it does look interesting from a distance with the tree farm on top of it.

... If I didn't need the wood, I should so light it on fire.

Link_Olaran.png

Can you also install those texure packs for the classic version?

Yes, but the textures for classic are in different positions, like say the sapling if over there, and there are no cloth blocks. You would need to find a classic texture pack, or move the textures in their corresponding places.

Here is the pack I use.

[hide= Will stretch out your page.]

terrainp.png

[/hide]

minecrafthd.png

You need to use the MC Patcher tool through. It will black screen your Minecraft if you don't.

vizardsig-1.png

I have the cartograph tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Wut i does wiffit?

Edit: Nvm, got it. Unfortunately, my impact on the map is less than I thought. I'll have to fix that.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Finished a minecart track that goes from the lava room to the bedrock level. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make it come back up afterward. Also made some lava-y changes to the lighthouse.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5BsYE3exs

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

So i herd u liek shepe? :twss:

In other news, I am now attempting to run it on Ubuntu. Fingers crossed.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Finally found my first deposits of clay!

Yay. It runs on Ubuntu, albeit very slowly.

-Random Youtuber

Actually bought this game today. Had to delete all my saves, but I guess that's what I get for pirating such a good game. Now I really hope Notch doesn't make all blocks affected by gravity, considering my base on my new world is on a floating island.

Also, different world. Spawned. Heard spiders. Dug down a few blocks. Dungeon. :thumbup:

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

This line doesn't rhyme,

And neither does this one.