Semantics and grammar in general.

Hobgoblinpie

i think you need to mature slightly, this sort of pedantry smacks just a little too much of adolescence trying just a little bit too hard to be 'grown up'

don't worry about it - it doesn't 'really' matter

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you need to mature slightly, this sort of pedantry smacks just a little too much of adolescence trying just a little bit too hard to be 'grown up'

don't worry about it - it doesn't 'really' matter

Therefore any prescriptivist (for example John Humphrys, who takes pedantry to the extreme) is adolescent?

I will admit, that did sound childish, but I'm allowed to have my opinion, and you're allowed to have yours.

still trying too hard ;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

yar yar yar@@@@ der be great grammatocals areas to explur with chur mined!!!!!

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

hurr durr I talk liek this nao.

Better?

nah man, just be yourself

even if you are a pedant ;)

Rock_Hard.png

I'm OK with minor errors (No capatalisation, no aposterphes, etc) but major things (like "barrowing" instead of "borrowing") annoy the hell out of me.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

Within RuneScape, I am seeing a dramatic degradation of grammatical standards. I'm sure many of us have encountered the 'Can I lend x', only to actually mean that they want to borrow an item. Obviously, English is not everyone's first language, and I have a level of tolerance (as in, I'm not going to demonise anyone for spelling things incorrectly) but when these mistakes come from people whose first language/mother tongue is indeed English, it infuriates me somewhat.

I'm not talking about typos (missing a letter out), I mean proper errors like 'Barrowing [insert item here]'.

It makes me question whether these are genuine mistakes, ignorance disguised as trolling, trolling disguised as ignorance or anything other possible combination.

Barrowing gs plz hobgabbin

plz plz plz

It bothers me too, but I've just started putting people on ignore. It's snobbish, I know, but my eye literally starts twitching when I see something so terribly done as the joke I made at the beginning of the post.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm OK with minor errors (No capatalisation, no aposterphes, etc) but major things (like "barrowing" instead of "borrowing") annoy the hell out of me.

I know, goddamnit! I hate no aposterphes!!!

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

I hate them too, they're almost as bad as trolls. lulface.gif

hzvjpwS.gif

Thats not trolling, it's taking advantage of a situation. This forum really needs to learn the definition of trolls.

Thats not trolling, it's taking advantage of a situation. This forum really needs to learn the definition of trolls.

I think you missed my point entirely. :rolleyes:

hzvjpwS.gif

I probably did.

I relax on the punctuation and capitalization when typing in Runescape, and I'll often type "shorthand" if I'm doing something that requires my full attention. I'm somewhat of a fascist when it comes to typing correctly, too, but I can usually tell if someone's just joking around or not.

I guess it just depends on the situation and the person.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Who cares about how people type? You get what they mean.

Not all the time. I think if you want what you said to be heard, you should do your best to make sure it's coherent enough. Small mistakes don't bother me that much, but it's still an aesthetic hazard.

No one says pl0x, except for the e-hipsters trying to make others sound stupid.

Some people aren't joking around when they use that term.

Who cares about how people type? You get what they mean.

Not all the time. I think if you want what you said to be heard, you should do your best to make sure it's coherent enough. Small mistakes don't bother me that much, but it's still an aesthetic hazard.

No one says pl0x, except for the e-hipsters trying to make others sound stupid.

Some people aren't joking around when they use that term.

While I am aware of that, through my personal experience, it's just really rare to see someone actually mean it. Usually it tend's to be the grammatical upper classes mocking the lower classes.

"sell feathers!"

or

"buy flour!"

Usually at this point I shout back "You can't tell me what to do!"

lol'd

By looking at how people write/speak/type, one can usually tell who to add to their ignore list. I'm not an elitist, I couldn't be a very good elitist because of my deplorable stats, but I do think that it really says something about the user and whether they're worth speaking to.

You seriously add people to your ignore list. I mean, I find it kinda trifling (o lawd that word used to haunt me), since you are just pushing the problem aside, instead of confronting it imo. I mean tbh I never ignore anyone, though sometimes I say I do just to see what they will then say. Sometimes it can be great funny.

Being a linguist, I almost never make a grammar mistake and have the bad tendency to turn off public chat just to spare myself the agony.

It's not just the English speakers either, Dutch, Portuguese, French, German you name it.

They're all using poor grammar. Even if it is their first language.

Ever seen an English speaker try to type Dutch with only a Dictionary at their disposal? The result makes me cry more than a basket of onions.

Even the Esperantists I know that play RS besides me use poor grammar and spelling. Which in case no one knows, Makes it VERY hard to understand.