Underworld

Nexaduro

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually do that, but now i'm just going to be a diplomat/ conqueror, or a builder of magic things if magic is alowed.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Retech:

You're sitting at the fire of your exploration camp, having been hired by a nearby settlement. They chose you for the Drow reputation. Long ago your ancestors were trapped alone in the dark without the luxury of civilized settlements and natural selection favoured those with darker skin, lither forms, and better senses. Eventually a social structure formed and Drow hunters quickly became the highest commodity available to budding settlements. You've been well payed in the past, though that money went into funding your extravagent Lightleaf garments and intricate scorpion chain (which, by the way, I am unfamiliar with the appearance of). Your scorpion hangs off your back, gently but firmly clamped on. The Drow-scorpion relation is symbiotic, they fight as one in combat with the scorpion's poison sting complementing the hunter's blades.

Tanner:

A rather odd man, you are often subject to the discriminations of others. The nomadic lifestyle fits you quite well, and you make a living off the land. Occasionally you're hired to perform in a town or do mercenary work. Your music is quite incredible, and has an almost magically mesmerizing quality to it. It has saved your life more than once. You carry only the bare bones of necessary supplies on your person, but your crustaceous herd serves to carry camp supplies and food.

The other quotes I shall work on tomorrow.

Name: (The) Draugen

Race (if it's not something I would be familiar with, describe it): Draug®

Companions (are you starting with a specific individual, small group, or settlement): Solo, transformation lets me do all sorts of stuff myself.

Profession (are you a hunter, an adventurer, a mayor, an evil demon bent on world destruction, etc.): Killing, rising from the dead, spreading fear.

Description (what do you look like, with respect to your race and profession): The Draugen looks like a human, pale as a corpse and carrying a stench of decay even though it does degenerate. It's wearing a black, torn robe. It can however take on any size and form.

Talents (are you particularly good or bad at anything, do you have any useful skills): Transformation, slaughter.

Items (from your cavernous lair to that shiny ring in your pocket): None needed.

Race (if it's not something I would be familiar with, describe it): Winged humanoid thingy I previously described

Companions (are you starting with a specific individual, small group, or settlement): Likely not.

Profession (are you a hunter, an adventurer, a mayor, an evil demon bent on world destruction, etc.): All of the above. Except mayor

Description (what do you look like, with respect to your race and profession): Humanoid, crimson skin, bat wings (IE no feathers), long talons on feet, clawed hands, but not so clawed that using weapons is impossible.

Talents (are you particularly good or bad at anything, do you have any useful skills): Flight, aerial combat

Items (from your cavernous lair to that shiny ring in your pocket): Executioner's sword with a chain attached to the hilt. (Executioner swords typically had no point. The end was rounded to a flat, while they kept the bladed sides.)

There you go.

Race: Fiend

Profession: Hunter

Description: Black, stitched wings, needle like in appearance. Down her spine, thorn like bones run down in a neat line, a tail, bony yet solid. Fangs (like a vampire), Pitch black eyes. Forearms also have thorn like bones going up to the elbow, same as legs up to the knee. a hooked claw for each heel. and claws. Its time I showed my evil side. The creature is fast, its strength is nothing more than an average human, so it isn't Overpowered. Armorless and natural weapons. (claws, tail, fangs, and needled wings). Can see in the dark. But vision is hindered by 50% in bright light (dim/normal lighting has minimal effect.

Items: Nothing but tattered clothing

Race: Draconics (quadropedal land based creatures who are able to breath fire and maul things. High intelligence rating, but hates water.)

Party: I'm a lone dude, dude.

Profession: Mauling wild: able to use claws, tail, and teeth to the fullest advantage, goodat mele, but fire abilities diminished by the focuson mele.

desc: Medium height, varied color scales (mainly green) with large claws, teeht, and a muscular tail. Able to modify their voices to speak diferent languages.

Weapons: The claws, the teeth, the tail, and the fire.

Name: Tekrer Propmail

Race: Dwarf

Weapons: Ancestral battle ax, crossbow, 30 quarrels, carving hammer and chisel.

Profession: Rune priest (magic user that uses ancient sigils to provide buffs, etc in combat, also is proficent in melee combat as well)

Desc: Tekrer the dwarf is a member of the loose propmail clan of dwarfs. While it is technically a clan bound by blood it seems to be more like a meeting hall or an adventurers guild than an ancestral home. In any rate Tekrer is a furiously religious dwarf believing in the old dwarfish gods as well as the ever present ancestral spirits, he is also heavily xenophobic against any non dwarf and has an especial hatred towards non simian races. On a note about dwarfs: While they are not magic users in the traditional sense they do have clerical power and their own old runes and sigils for various magical effects as well as their ability of darkvision.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Tanner:

A rather odd man, you are often subject to the discriminations of others. The nomadic lifestyle fits you quite well, and you make a living off the land. Occasionally you're hired to perform in a town or do mercenary work. Your music is quite incredible, and has an almost magically mesmerizing quality to it. It has saved your life more than once. You carry only the bare bones of necessary supplies on your person, but your crustaceous herd serves to carry camp supplies and food.

I. Herd. Crustaceans.

I think this game may end up being more randomly amusing than Dungeoneering was. All we need is someone drowning in a puddle, and we'd be golden.

a70c7.png

Lol, the history of the Drow in...the world that the Drow came from was that they formed social structures easily, but those social structures encouraged deceit and backstabbing, which would still contribute. :P

A scorpion chain is just like a ten foot long light chain with a halberd/scorpion stinger looking piece of metal at the end of it. Longer reach than the halberd + more powerful + swifter.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I have a little problem with the Dwarf, Dragon, and Draugr.

One, theoretically "magic" doesn't exist. Two, the shape of an animal generally lends the mind of an animal. Three, changing form to some degree is understandable, but size (assuming an increase or decrease in mass goes along with this) is just silly.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Eh, I'll do the character starts when those people want to play.

Feel free to post your actions, Retech and Spork. :P

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Jen wakes up and travels just out of town to face a single training creature, so that she can really understand her skill. (I don't what the system is, so I'd like a practice battle just to try)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I'm good, but would it be possible to make a race of draconian builders who can animate metalic beings to fight for them?

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Earth, I understand you want a dragon. But I'd rather not.

Flying, okay. Fire attacks, iffy but I'll allow it. High intelligence, done. Scales and strength, completely plausible. All of that together? Preferrably no.

Hmph, maybe if you take a Clanker human start you could get similar effects.

Gimme a sec, Retech, gonna scarf down this pizza real quick.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

... Can i make something that animates bones? Like a necromancer? Or somthing that can build things and control troops and stuff? I'm betetr with RTSish stuff where i can both bash someones head in and comand an army to take a certain point.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Nex if you don't want to do the ancestral runeish bit you can easily just change the dwarf into a regular fighter with a crossbow (also could you give him some armor as well?)

LNYvk.png

Hm, how about a Stillborn or juvenile Gaunt? They can control human bodies, dead or alive, assuming the vital systems are still intact or the controller is skilled enough to replace them.

Grim, what if your religion is based on the runes or something? They would instill courage and ferocity, though they wouldn't do too much else. What kind of warrior are you trying for anyways? Soldier? Zealot? Berserker? Mercenary?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Is it possible to builb bases and stuff like that? If not, i guess i'll jsut go with the Clanker.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Well what is the difference between them aside from where they show up and what armor they get? Your idea for the runes works rather well. If I had to choose I would probably put my dwarf as a merc though.

LNYvk.png

"Base" would be more like "lair" for a Gaunt, though Stillborn are accepted among some factions. Clankers don't play very nice with other factions or races, though they are clever and fierce.

It's your choice.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

... You know, i don't think we're meeting eye to eye here.. I mean like a base to build out from so i can train "units" to fight with me and beat the crap out of everything.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I think you're playing a totally different game Earth. :P

Totally unrelated, but I got my first cell phone today. 25 dollars for unlimited texting.

One, theoretically "magic" doesn't exist. Two, the shape of an animal generally lends the mind of an animal. Three, changing form to some degree is understandable, but size (assuming an increase or decrease in mass goes along with this) is just silly.

Damn, then I can go fully epic and change into a cat and sit on someone's chest and slowly get heavier until they suffocate (a Draug is told to have done so according to legend).

Just give me the traits and abbilities a Draug has that you feel comfortable with accepting.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

... You know, i don't think we're meeting eye to eye here.. I mean like a base to build out from so i can train "units" to fight with me and beat the crap out of everything.

<_<

Okay, try to start a faction once the game starts then. Just choose a reasonable character, darnit!

So my dwarf is a merc rune priest (warrior priest of the dwarven gods) Does he get any armor?

So a mercenary-zealot then. :P

This could be amusing. As for armour... meh, I dunno, chainmail and leather? Or would you rather have some nice clerical robes?

Damn, then I can go fully epic and change into a cat and sit on someone's chest and slowly get heavier until they suffocate (a Draug is told to have done so according to legend).

Just give me the traits and abbilities a Draug has that you feel comfortable with accepting.

Ummm... I don't feel comfortable with any of them to be honest. It just seems stupid for this game, Norse mythology is far too obscure to be sensibly incorporated into anything else really.

--------------------------

Anywho, as soon as I resolve these arguments I'll do the first actions guys. Sorry for the wait.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

"KILL THE HEATHE- wait, are you paying me? Yes? Okay, CONTINUE KILLING THE HEATHENS!"

And I think you should be fine without a buckler until you can buy one.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

[hide='Huge explaination of Draug traits]

Draugar possess superhuman strength, can increase their size at will and carry the unmistakable stench of decay. The draugr's body, however does not decay and this odor was most likely due to the draugr being a host for diseases. The draugr's ability to increase its size also increased its weight as it did so, and the body of the draugr was described as being extremely heavy. It is possibly that the draugr could also be heavy without increasing its size, as this could help explain its immense strength, but the strength of the draugr could also be independent of its size or weight. The weight of the draugr may also only increase as size does. Thorolf of Eyrbyggja Saga was "uncorrupted, and with an ugly look about him... swollen to the size of an ox," and his body could not be raised without levers, it was so heavy. They are also noted for the ability to rise from the grave as wisps of smoke, possibly meaning they also have the ability to turn into smoke at will, although it is much more likely that this is an interperatation of their ability to "swim" through solid rock, which would be useful as a means of exiting their graves. Whether or not they can become intangible to other materials is not certain. In folklore the draugar slay their victims through various methods including crushing them with their enlarged forms, devouring their flesh, devouring them whole in their enlarged froms, inderectly killing them by driving them mad, and drinking their blood. Animals feeding near the grave of a draugr are often driven mad by the creature's influence. They may also die from being driven mad. Thorolf of the Eyrbyggja saga, for example, caused birds that flew over his howe to drop dead. Draugr are also noted as being able to drive living people insane. This may have been a method of the draugr to create more of his kind, similar to a vampire. The eyes of the draugr may be connected to this as their eyes are noted as being terrifying to look at, causing intense fear in even the bravest heroes. The power of the draugr's eyes, however, are never fully explained.

The draugr's victims were not limited to trespassers in its howe. The roaming ghosts decimated livestock by running the animals to death while either riding them or pursuing them in some hideous, half-flayed form. Shepherd, whose duties to their flocks left them out of doors at night time, were also particular targets for the hunger and hatred of the undead:

"... the oxen which had been used to haul Thorolf's body were ridden to death by demons, and every single beast that came near his grave went raving mad and howled itself to death. The shepherd at Hvamm often came racing home with Thorolf after him. One day that autumn neither sheep nor shepherd came back to the farm."

Draugr are noted for having numerous magical abilities, referred to as "trollskap" resembling those of living witches and wizards, such as shape-changing, controlling the weather, and seeing into the future. Among the creatures that a draugr may turn into are a seal, a great flayed bull, a grey horse with no ears or tail and a broken back, and a cat that would sit upon a sleeper's chest and grow steadily heavier until the victim suffocated The draugr Thrain shape-shifted into a "cat-like creature" (kattakyn) in Hromundar saga Greipssonar:

"Then Thrain turned himself into a troll, and the barrow was filled with a horrible stench; and he stuck his claws into the back of Hromund's neck, tearing the flesh from his bones..."

This may indicate that the draugr could have partial shapeshifting abilities not limiting it to specific forms, allowing it to take on chosen attributes of the animals it can turn into. This, however has yet to be proven, as this given example may just be another finite shape shifting form of the draugr. Draugr are noted, as well, for having the ability to enter into the dreams of the living. Draugr also have the ability to curse a victim, as shown in the Grettis Saga where Grettir is cursed to be inable to become any stronger to be exiled. Draugr also brought disease to a village. This was thought to be the malevolent intention of the draugr, however this was before germ theory and a dead body would have been a host for disease. Given the draugr's natural magical abilities, however, any disease caused by a draugr, may easily have been intentional. Draugr can also create temporary darkness in daylight hours, possibly through summoning heavy cloud coverage, although it may have been the ability to summon darkness itself, or call up a mist(Most likely part of its weather manipulation abilities) to hide its activities and/ or hide its approach. While the draugr certainly preferred to be active during the night, it did not appear to be vulnerable to sunlight like most revenants. A draugr's presence may be shown by a great light that glowed from the mound like "fox-fire." This fire would form a barrier between the land of the living and the land of the dead. The draugr could also move magically through the earth, swimming through solid stone as does Killer-Hrapp:

"Then Olaf tried to rush Hrapp, but Hrapp sank into the ground where he had been standing and that was the end of their encounter"

The creation of a draugr is not exactly clear, but in the Eyrbyggja saga, a shepherd is killed by a draugr and rises the next night as one himself. Necromancy may also have played a part in a possible draugr creation process. Nevertheless, it appears as if the draugr is always a revenant, although the possibility that the draugr can be born as such should not be eliminated without further research, as the information available today on Norse mythology is severely limited. It may also be possible that the origin of a draugr is its sinful life, having gone against a law of the church leading it to be unable to rest in its grave. The draugr is also very often shown as haunting its living family.

Some draugar are immune to weapons, however only a hero has the strength and courage needed to stand up to so formidable an opponent. In legends the hero would often have to wrestle the draugr back to his grave, thereby defeating him, since weapons would do no good. A good example of this kind of fight is found in Hrómundar saga Gripssonar. Although iron could injure a draugr, as is the case with many supernatural creatures, it would not be sufficient to stop it.

It is possible that draugr may have the ability to come back even after having been previously defeated, requiring the hero to dispose of the body in unconventional ways. The preferred method is to cut off the draugr's head, burn the body, and dump the ashes in the sea, the emphasis being on making absolutely sure the draugr was dead and gone. This, combined with the fact that a draugr could not be stopped by iron, despite injury, as well as the fact that, despite being a vehicle for disease and smelling of decay, it did not decay suggests that it may have had some sort of magical healing factor. The absence of decay may also point to it being "alive" in the sense that its biology may be brought back to function, including a heart beat and breathing, although this could also be purely magically sustained if the case. However, the tales in which the draugr exists were was well before human biology was fully understood and an attempt to make sense of the draugrs biology was most likely unimportant. The draugar were said to be either hel-blár ("death-black") or, conversely, nár-fölr ("corpse-pale"). The blackish color was not actually Achromatic and had a dark blue or maroon hue, possibly relating to Livor mortis, but covered the entire body. The hel-blár draugr may have been much more common.[citation needed] The body of a hel-blár draugr may actually have been much more blue than black. Glamr, the undead shepherd of the Grettis saga, was reported to be dark blue in color and in Laxdla saga the bones of a dead sorceress who had appeared in dreams were dug up and found to be "blue and evil looking."

In tradition, draugar are able to leave their dwelling place, the burial mound, and visit the living during the night. Such visits are supposed to be universally horrible events that often end in death for one or more of the living, and warrant the exhumation of the draugr's tomb by a hero. The resting place of the draugr was a tomb that served much as a workable home for the creature. The motivation of the actions of a draugr was primarily jealousy and greed. The greed of a draugr would cause it to viciously attack any would be grave robbers, but the draugr also expresses an innate jealousy of the living stemming from a longing for the things of the life it once had. This idea is clearly expressed in the Friðþjofs saga, where a dying king declared:

"My howe shall stand beside the firth. And there shall be but a short distance between mine and Thorsteinn's, for it is well that we should call to one another."

This desire for the friendship experienced in life is one example of the manifestation of this aspect of the draugr. Draugr also exhibit an immense and near insatiable appetite as shown in the encounter of Aran and Asmund, sword brothers, who made an oath that if one should die, the other would sit vigil with him for three days inside the burial mound. When Aran died, Asmund brought his own possessions into the barrow; His banners, armor, hawk, hound, and horse. Then Asmund set himself to wait the agreed upon three days:

During the first night, Aran got up from his chair and killed the hawk and hound and ate them. On the second night he got up again from his chair, and killed the horse and tore it into pieces; then he took great bites at the horse-flesh with his teeth, the blood streaming down from his mouth all the while he was eating.... The third night Asmund became very drowsy, and the first thing he knew, Aran had got him by the ears and torn them off.

This is another manifestation of the draugr's greed and yearning for the things of the living. It could be argued that the violent nature of the draugr is merely a way of lashing out in its despair, rather than purely evil actions without motive. The draugr are quite often shown to haunt their living relatives as well.[/hide]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draugen#Traits

How is that to obscure?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1