Underworld

Nexaduro

I thought I'd spice up the Tavern life a bit, things have been awfully slow recently. Even if this game bombs, at least I can say I tried.

I'm not sure precisely what this will end up as, you can't predict how a game will be played on this forum and I doubt I'll scare anyone. It's just that the horror... or perhaps dystopian... style fits my vision best.

On to the setting.

-------------------------------------------------

It was a dark and stormy night...

Not that They knew. The Dwellers in the Dark, the monstrous abominations that live, so say the legends, on the dark true surface of the planet Saria, the sun obscured by a second planetary crust far above the first. This is not to say that they were without light of their own, it was merely provided by the soft glow of a number of bioluminescent chemosynthetic plants and deadly fungi.

With the myriad races of the upper crust looking on in horror and amazement, a fireball punched through the atmosphere, violently quelling the storms and bringing a harsh brilliance to the sky. As it plummeted it separated into countless pieces and the surface was engulfed in flame.

None of the surface dwellers survived that day, only those prowling in the dark below. However, parts of the fireball managed to break through into their abyss. Those pieces brought with them not only the light of the Overworld, but creatures not unlike some of those destroyed by the fires on the surface.

And so came the humans to the planet Saria.

-------------------------------------------------

You all start in a human settlement (unless you choose to start as something hostile to humans, or particularly out of place) with 30 or so residents. Here are two major races you can choose, though you are by no means limited to them. Note that simple Dungeoneering style "magic" isn't likely to exist, though super- or in-human powers are possible.

"Good" Races

Humans/Humanoids - Having appeared with the remnants of a fireball punching through the upper crust into the dark surface of Saria, Humans and their allies have built small settlements under the sunlit holes to the world above.

Subtypes:

Inquisitors - Humans who made a new start in their dark world, forging tools and weapons of metal, warding away the darkness with torches and their fear with devout belief in God.

Nomads - Roaming the dark world of Saria, Nomads have adapted to their environment and prosper despite their dangerous lifestyle. They are often more accepting of and accepted by the intelligent races of the Underworld.

Clankers - Worshippers of technology, possessing tools of incredible power though rarely the knowledge to use them. They are intolerant of "lesser" races and very ambitious.

Stillborn - Former servants of the Gaunt shapeshifters, controlled and connected by cords of flesh and released upon their master's death. They retain a small part of the Gaunt's consciousness and abilities, giving them potentially incredible abilities.

Subtypes:

Undocumented.

"Evil" Races

Dwellers - The true creatures of the dark, inexplicable and incredibly dangerous. The Underworld is their world, and they intend to reclaim it. They can take many shapes, and should be avoided by all but the brave, powerful, and stupid.

Subtypes:

Not applicable.

Demons - Winged, bony humanoids who lurk in the darkness, relying on their excellent night-vision and natural weaponry to hunt. A terrifying, though not uncommon part of Sarian life.

Subtypes:

Wingless - Confined to the ground, these Demons are deceptively dangerous. Due to lesser mobility, they are forced to take what food they can find and will fight with reckless abandon knowing they cannot escape on wings if they are defeated.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Is it possible to be a quadropedal draconic creature? With a rather high intelligence?

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

... What?

To be honest, I'd rather not. It seems a bit silly.

You could probably make yourself look like that if you played as a Stillborn of some sort. Perhaps a Ghoul?

What powers are you trying for?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

... Maybe the powerto maul things, set things on fire, and fly? Consider the fact i'm obsessed with dragons, why dont you?

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'd like to be a corrupted human please, degenerating due to the use of magic almost like Gollum from the hobbit.

Elaborate on ghoul, stillborn and weaver please.

[Falador tavern]

Oh, I interpreted what you said as more of a large, vaguely canine-shaped lizard. Like a velociraptor with front legs.

Lemme think on it.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

... How did you mistake draconic with canine?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Earth your definition of draconic could be very different from nex's. Any chance I could join this as some sort of dwarf? Or possibly a human with the ability to switch to infrared vision?

LNYvk.png

I would like to be some sort of Drow-like thingy. I don't know your mythology and history that you are using, but the concept of a Drow is basically what I want.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

So, wait. You gave us a backstory involving humans coming to some planet, then proceed to tell us to pick a class of some race we don't know about, which is also enslaved by some other race we don't know about. Elaborate, please.

And if you're not gonna elaborate, I'll take a Siren.

a70c7.png

... How did you mistake draconic with canine?

Wingless dragon. I just assumed the scales and a certain body structure.

Earth your definition of draconic could be very different from nex's. Any chance I could join this as some sort of dwarf? Or possibly a human with the ability to switch to infrared vision?

Infrared, I can probably work that. What would you want to be dwarfy about you?

I would like to be some sort of Drow-like thingy. I don't know your mythology and history that you are using, but the concept of a Drow is basically what I want.

So fast and agile with fair nightvision?

So, wait. You gave us a backstory involving humans coming to some planet, then proceed to tell us to pick a class of some race we don't know about, which is also enslaved by some other race we don't know about. Elaborate, please.

And if you're not gonna elaborate, I'll take a Siren.

I gave the Stillborn as an example, because I had a hard time remembering/explaining some of my other ideas. Humans play a big part in the game, having formed communities where the light shines through from the outside and seeking to create a kingdom as human naturally will. The backstory was detailing a major change, without which the game would be completely different. Stillborn are a race of sorts modified by the Gaunts, which I was going to get into later, and I understand where you got confused. I should've made it more clear that it was all examples of my thought process, rather than the limits of your choice. I'm tired right now, tomorrow I will make the list more complete.

And high-tech is an option, just so you know. It's not common in the least, but it's a choice for the players.

EDIT FOR EDEL:

Stillborn are humans who a Gaunt comes into contact with and partially incorporates into their own body. The Gaunts generally control the Stillborn's bodies but not their minds, save for often wiping memory and occasionally breaking the mind or altering the personality. It's because Gaunts have complete control of all their own life functions, every single cell, and if they mess with the brain too much they usually make some mistake in their extremely difficult work and kill the person.

Ghouls have had their minds broken by Gaunts for whatever reason, intentional or otherwise. They're basically like Drizzt (if you don't know who that is, I will be surprised) after he left the Drow and became an animalistic hunter. Except they can shapeshift, moreso than other Stillborn.

Weavers are either naturally "good" humans or those who's personalities were altered by Gaunts who wanted to try and make the human race/underworld "better." They can do a kind of healing touch where they connect with a person's body like a Gaunt and repair the injuries. They can't use the ability spectacularly in combat, and wouldn't be inclined to generally speaking.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

And skilled with rapier-style fencing swords and bows. :thumbup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Hmm.... I want something agile with a dagger and moderate flight abilites (i.e. hovering via jetpack, antigravity, telekinetics, whatever.) Is that acceptable?

Oh, and Grim wants a Dwarf....? We shall call him Urist, and he shall have much magma. (Gosh, fantasy RPGs that I play are going to be so full of Dwarf Fort puns and references now....)

a70c7.png

Hahaha, this is going well.

If not as I planned.

Interesting twist to things, seems that Tech might be the only adventurer!

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Okay, added humans to the main post.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

So what would I be?

Only adventurer? Who said he'd be the only one? i'd love to stab things, in all truth.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I think he means that I'd be the only one taking the stereotypical image of an adventurer leaving their "civilized" homes and journeying out into the "uncivilized" lands. Maybe Grim too, if dwarves are like that. :thumbup:

Nex what I was going for as a dwarf is something that has darkvision as well as is... dwarfish. That being said he is more of a merc than an actual adventurer (well he adventures in between wars) and is mildly insane.

LNYvk.png

Nex, if its ok, to keep from multiposting, I'm going to PM my character to you, then you can copy paste into a single post?

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png