Recruitment Drive

Iconic

Global Announcement:

Pros and Cons. There is no reason not too.

Sticky:

Not fond of this...Unless there is some kind of joint editing ability(which seems unlikely).

Elsewise it just dries up(from experience in Fally and Varrock Libraries), and then hangs around.

Tavern To Top:

Yes, it is wholy unfair and is a bad idea.

PM Tavern Members:

Good, it is a terrible idea.

Thread in Varrock Library:

A line in the rules sounds awesome.

Additional:

Falador Tavern User Group?

Similar to the Falador Library User Group...Just exists to show membership within the group.

Probably not a goer because allowing us to have one would mean other people could ask and things could get confusing...But it would be nice as a '1 Year Member of Falador Tavern' kinda thing.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticky would be a better idea, and we could all conglomerate it together and give it to the admins.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Yes, we could set it up....It is purely a case of then updating it.

I mean, we have Space...I started on a Wednesday, then announced three days...Then took a day off because of stuffs...Then things went awry, then I changed Mondays from 5 to 8...

I don't keep my own thread upto date...so I can't imagine me PMing the Admin to inform them of every change I make.

Then threads die, like Planeteering, though the mod still insists they are being run.

And people have different opinions about things, such as Hegemony...so if there is another Hegemony Spree, then the Admin could end up with 4 or 5 'Original Hegemony' PMs...

Nawwwww, we jsut give a basic description of the stuff. we don't have to update it unless we absolutley need to, and a basic description we all agree on would be fine.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Exactly what earthgragonsage said :) I suppose it would just be a revamp/expansion of the Rules. In every forum we have at least one sticky that follows a very similar format; it contains an overview of the purpose and content of the forum, the rules for that specific forum and any other general information. The Falador Tavern one would be like so:

Falador Tavern

Welcome

• Short description of what this forum is about.

Forum Rules & Guidelines

• Maybe a simplified and easier-to-understand version of the
Rules

Popular Role Plays

• Links to the popular role plays and very brief descriptions about their theme, purpose, etc.

It is all very general information - nothing that needs constant updating.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Ah, I see, rolling the current array of sticky topics into one topic.

I still have considerably doubts about 'Popular Roleplays' as we rarely go beyond the first page with active threads...and usually the opening post conveys all the information required...and experience indicates that it will fall into disuse relatively quickly....But it seems reasonable.

Yeah, something likkeeeeee

Dungeoneering:

A Roleplay made by former Admin Archimage_a, it is mainly roleplay based. Charecters choose a weapon, name, basic description, and a starting skill (Which includes magic,combat, or micelanious) to begin. As the charecters start out and make actions, the moderator rolls a die (usually 20 sided) to determine the outcomes of the roll. Many variations have begun off of this theme, such as a more recent hybrid of the the Hegenomy style and this one, Space.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

And when did you decide to show back up? Also, we aren't shoving it down their throats, they Admins can ecide not to do post the sticky if they don't want to.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I think it is more that the Admin want to help us, some of us(myself included) don't see a huge need to advertise, while others of us(Such as Iconic) want to see the Tavern given as much as physically possible.

@Earth:

Well...We have Dungeoneering, Hegemony and the Zombie Survival thread types. I think...

Yeah, but we need to decide what we should put into it, and that was just an example.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Well...

Dungeoneering:

A Roleplaying type where you take on the role as an individual, plunged into a scenario of the Moderators choosing. Examples include Pirates, Adventurers and Spacemen.

Hegemony:

A Roleplaying type where you take control of an Empire, usually the game is preceeded by a debate as to the setting. Examples include the Napoleonic Period, the Modern/Future Period and the Prehistoric Period.

Zombie Survival:

A Simulation in which you are asked what you would do immediately after a zombie takeover of the real world.

(As a starter)

We also have my games, which are a warp of the RP and/or Dungeoneering genre.

Reanimated had a direct objective, multiple game types, and (theoretically) time limitations on the players.

Shades of Monochrome had a dystopian element, Space-like interaction, and a (theoretically) complicated magic system.

Fallen Star had strong storytelling, a group-encompassing view in the first person, and (theoretically) complicated and intricate alien environments.

Tales of Rimerose and Underworld were stupid. Theoretically.

Does anyone want any of those games back, or want me to keep trying?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Keep trying, but give us some forewarning next time so we can critique it, so we don't have another "Play for a week and then ignore it for eternity" Game.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Reanimated had a direct objective, multiple game types, and (theoretically) time limitations on the players.

Shades of Monochrome had a dystopian element, Space-like interaction, and a (theoretically) complicated magic system.

Fallen Star had strong storytelling, a group-encompassing view in the first person, and (theoretically) complicated and intricate alien environments.

Tales of Rimerose and Underworld were stupid. Theoretically.

Does anyone want any of those games back, or want me to keep trying?

I think - and feel free to tell me if I'm wrong - that you suffer from the same "Lazy Mod Syndrome" that I do. I start a game, it's active for a while, then when the activity falls a bit to where it would remain constant, I get bored with modding and move on to something else.

Except in the case of CyberDuels. That was just an overstructured version of the Arena, and it was way too easy for people to wipe the floor with their opponent.

a70c7.png

I want to make a game that can be funny or serious, doesn't rely too much on rolls, makes people think, and makes people feel epic. Anyone have suggestions? I think Fallen Star came close, but I hit a roadblock in the narrative and didn't have any NPCs. Reanimated was amateur, if sort of enjoyable, and Shades just fell over and died.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Including every game is self defeating...but picking one or two turns it into a contest which everyone wants to be a part of.

No matter what happens, someone is gonna end up upset.

Hence why I think rolling the Rules and Introduction into one would be a good idea and leaving the 'Popular Roleplays' out of it.

IF anything including long term members of the Tavern would be preferable, with a brief bit of information about them.

That way any newcomer would be able to see who was who...Though this would require a high degree of honesty from people...as a dozen 'I am really nice and friendly' bios achieve nothing.

Example:

Archimage A: Hi, I am Archi, I have run a number of roleplays over the year/s I have been here. I am brutally honest about things, so if you want the honest answer, ask me. Generally, you can talk to me and I will certainly respond, but be warned, I am infamous for walls of text and number crunching.

Interests include running roleplays, arguing for reality in games and analysing random stuff.

Uninterests include, Manga/anime, any kind of French Liberalism(Forcing beliefs on people for their own benefit) and pie in the sky gameplay.

(The uninterests took the longest)

It would need to be as honest as that...so people actually know what kind of a person you are.

The Rules obviously need updating(since they were written when the Tavern was pre-natal, specifically with Hegemony in mind.)

Though, realistically, the rules could be summerised as:

-The Moderator has Defacto Control over a thread.

-If there is a problem, discuss it in the Back-Room or via PM.

-Follow the Tip It Rules.

The Introduction...

I think we should keep the theme, its dark, slightly wacky and smells of new, shared, experiences...They define the Tavern without directly relating to anyone, so no one has to disagree that they should have been included.

Setting it as a friendly place, without the messes of off-topic postings, passed out topics and spills of creativity...It just makes the Tavern out to be something that it isn't...It is friendly because of the occassional hostility and randomness...Because we work together.

IF anything including long term members of the Tavern would be preferable, with a brief bit of information about them.

That way any newcomer would be able to see who was who...Though this would require a high degree of honesty from people...as a dozen 'I am really nice and friendly' bios achieve nothing.

Example:

Archimage A: Hi, I am Archi, I have run a number of roleplays over the year/s I have been here. I am brutally honest about things, so if you want the honest answer, ask me. Generally, you can talk to me and I will certainly respond, but be warned, I am infamous for walls of text and number crunching.

Interests include running roleplays, arguing for reality in games and analysing random stuff.

Uninterests include, Manga/anime, any kind of French Liberalism(Forcing beliefs on people for their own benefit) and pie in the sky gameplay.

(The uninterests took the longest)

It would need to be as honest as that...so people actually know what kind of a person you are.

Stork: Hi, I am Stork. I am infamous for my laziness when modding a game - so if you want to play a game I started, you best bug me about it. I will usually answer honestly, unless I don't know the answer or it's about something I feel I should not disclose (such as details about my life aside the Internet). If you ask me how to solve something, I will usually point out the obvious answers, and, should that fail, suggest you nuke it to bits. On occasion, I will be bluntly cruel, and will probably "hurt your feelings" - but that usually only happens if you try to troll.

Interests include Roleplaying, Keeping the Tavern a fun place to be, puns, Dorfs, and pointlessly amusing theoretical physics.

Disinterests include trolling, forced political or religious views, and gameplay that is mostly "hurry up and wait" (I.E. Okay, you start building a generator. It'll take you 2 IRL hours, have fun finding something to do until it's done.)

a70c7.png

Mather: Hi, I'm Mather, the Tavern's clown and Romeo, I'm extremely open about myself. I am quite fond of math and I will on occations share incredibly difficult, however useless calculations. I am also fond of overcomplicating things, something that often makes me fail, with epic results, in both games and basic tasks. If you ever read a story of personal damage or at least danger caused by stupidity and strange mishaps here, then it's probably one of mine. I do my best to remain friends with everyone, but I can hold a grudge.

Interests: First person shooters, random research, helping people and insane actions (intended or not).

Dinterests: PvP and DnD.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

ieyfura: Welcome to The Falador Tavern. I hope you enjoy your stay. My name is ieyfura, but feel free to use 'iey' or 'fura' for short. I'm generally a kind hearted person and try to keep the peace on occasion. A trait of mine that can be rather annoying is that I try to Roleplay more than is necessary, but then don't carry that writing skill over into my general posts. Oh, and I love to make smartass remarks. :)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

'Ello, I'm Retech and I've also run a few roleplays. I'm the Tavern's mathematician and I probaly have spent more than a hundred days of my life on Wikipedia. In roleplays, I usually play as a female character, because it's always more interesting to be in the minority and they're always under-represented. My problem is that I'm often too stubborn and over-react, especially in Hegemony.

Example 1

Example 2

Interests: Roleplaying, Computer games, Cello, Math, OVERREACTING

Disinterests: Decimals

Which reminds me Arch, STOP USING DECIMALS IN YOUR MATH~! If anyone has anymore examples of my overreactions, please send a link!

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I don't think we should compile the bios/introductions in the first post. That would come across as a wall of intimidating text, in my opinion :P How about we leave the sticky unlocked and allow all users - both old and new - to create a reply introducing themselves?

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Hmmm, the risk there is thread necromancy aversion.

Ie we all post in the next week or so, and then it never gets touched again.

Also, the capacity for off topic discussion being what it is, the thread could get overburdened...and alot of replies is generally a detractor when people view 'offical' posts.

Especially 'Offical posts' from yesteryear.

Of course, hide tags would make the wall of text less intimidating.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if it never gets touched again. And of course any off-topic discussion could be split off. We have introduction stickies in 2 other forums and I think they work quite well :)

Posted Image

It seems rather redundant to have an 'Introduce yourself' part to the thread if it is never going to be touched again...

Far better, if you feel it would intimidate new people, to forget the idea and just stick to the Forum Introduction and Rules...Or to use hide tags.

I reccomend really simplifying the sticky, give an explination but make it want to be read by someone who doesn't want to read it (this is a task that nearly everyone find hard). Don't explain, COMPARE if you say

The tavern is a place for different types of games that fit this criteria: ETC <--- Bad

The tavern is a place for different types of games, usually games a more complexthan the ones that would fit in forum games here is an example <--- Good

This works because it allows a person to work out something, and undertstand

Though, realistically, the rules could be summerised as:

-The Moderator has Defacto Control over a thread. Oh gosh, although this is a perfectly understandable statement it makes me feel small and powerlessdon't include this, its just a bit.. If the moderator is modding than they will get the gist of this, why does it need to be enforced as a rule

-If there is a problem, discuss it in the Back-Room or via PM. Back-Room, what is this back room (CBA to look for it), I'll just ignore this statement or beleive the tavern is too confusing and leave)

-Follow the Tip It Rules. Well.... Duh!WASTE OF TIME!!!! WHY!?!?!?? WASTE OF SPACE???!!? ANOTHER THING TO THE FLIPPIN' HUGE WALL OF TEXT ALREADY

The Introduction...

I think we should keep the theme, its dark, slightly wacky and smells of new, shared, experiences...They define the Tavern without directly relating to anyone, so no one has to disagree that they should have been included.

Setting it as a friendly place, without the messes of off-topic postings, passed out topics and spills of creativity...It just makes the Tavern out to be something that it isn't...It is friendly because of the occassional hostility and randomness...Because we work together.

I agree but.... simple explination first.

The tavern is XYZ (expalin what the tavern is and what it does)

It is UVW (Expand, make it seem fun and make it interesting)

Put the first decription at the top, it needs to be explained first. If the readers interested they will read on, if the readers not they won't read on. If however you choose to put the description towards the middle end or after a long description people will just read more and leave.

Trispis, now that we aren't in off-topic anymore would it be ok to leave a thread floating there (not stickyed, just an offical thread reminding everyone we're here and that you can join) because now we basically have no advertisement, we use to be a community within a community and now we're just a community.

AND WITH SUCH A DROP IN ACTIVITY

We don't get people popping in and joining very regulary, last join was about..... it was close to last year.

Basically, big text is intimidating, small text isn't.

[Falador tavern]