Shiny's 22 games (or so) you should all play

Shiny

Before you take a read through this list, I want you to note within your head that this list is not a bee all and end all of games one must have absolutely played. This list is a personal one, a recount of great games I have experienced and gaming experiences I want you to share with me. This list is only limited by my range of games I have played. I know I have games which should be in here (Read: Super Mario 64, Half-Life, Garry's Mod, Pokemon Red/Blue, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono-Trigger, Time Splitters, Doom 2 etc.), but I am either not familiar enough with said games, or believe these games to have been covered by games within this list.

22. Gran Turismo 3:

gran-turismo-3-02-f.jpg

As soon as I got my first gaming console, a Playstation 2, this was the game it had in it. And play it I did. The gameplay of the game, the handling of the cars, the environments - to me, at age 8, everything was visually stunning, and played amazingly. While I don't get the same enjoyment out of it as I once did, I still recommend this to anyone unfamiliar with Driving games, to take a look.

21. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas:

GTA-San-Andreas.jpg

While not in my opinion a perfect game, nor one of amazing graphics, or gameplay, the primary factor driving it onto this list is the sheer fun it possesses within its midst. Jumping from buildings? Check. Driving off mountains? Check. Hijacking cars and killing hookers? Check :P. Oh and a decent story. No game I know has garnered such a positive reaction from teenagers across the world, and such a negative one from adults. And that fact just adds to the absolute fun.

20. Assassin's Creed:

Assassins_Creed.jpg

Things could never be so right, and wrong at the same time. I put this here, not because it is a brilliant game, but because Assassin's Creed possesses a beautiful concept and story. You are a man, an assassin, set out to kill several high profile targets. Sure, you are saying to yourself, that sounds fairly generic. Take the generic story, however, and place it within an amazing rendition of ancient cities. in which your character skilfully interacts with the environment, and you have a good combo. The game does fall down around the missions, and the sheer repetitiveness towards the end. You get the same formula of jumping, assassinating and assailing walls, which hooked it, make it boring. The fun becomes a chore. You should still, I think experience this awkward, adventure classic.

19. The Sims 2:

07284_sims2_preview_3.jpg

Aha, simulation games. This particular genre has a huge divide into players of the genre, and haters of the genre. To me, The Sims 2 also is the perfect representation of this genre, and I think if you don't really like The Sims, or the idea of it, then the simulation genre may not entirely be for you. With The Sims, the attraction in it for lay in the pure sandbox fun on hand., and the vast array of character interactions. The chance to play god was also a point, the sheer fun in watching Social Services be trapped and unable to take my child away hilarious.

18. The Space Game:

the_space_game.jpg

Play it here

As I said, this is not a list of games you should buy, but games you should play. This little flash gem is a gem I have wasted many hours on, perfecting my space-mining station layout. It is addictive, not overly simple, but simple enough to work in the browser. What is brilliant about this game is the addicting, simple gameplay, which hooks you right in. The sound effects as well provide some lovely atmosphere. One of my favourites on Kongregate, you won't be disappoint.

17. Burnout 3: Takedown:

burnout3.jpg

This, for me, was the highlight within the series. This one had just the right balance an arcade-like driving game, the craziness which games like Crazy Taxi possessed and the downright grand chaos that is Burnout. The races were quick and brutal, as it was kill or be killed, and the fun which was had in winning the races and sprints, and smashing other cars. Brutal, violent fun.

16. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones:

w2-electronic-fiend%20prince%20persia.jpg

This, I believe, is the superior out of this and Assassin's Creed. The both have similar gameplay styles, with the large difference lying in that where Assassin's Creed is an open-ended environment, Prince of Persia levels only have one route through them. It is stealth platform at its best - where sneaking about, climbing ledges and dropping down for the kill are all part of the fun. The aspect of time is interesting in this too. While not as polished as Braid, it can be used to a similar effect, something you'll have noticed if you've played this. Sometimes, I almost felt as if the Time aspect of The Two Thrones made it almost too easy, but quickly were those thoughts discarded as I revelled in the carnage which took followed after a bout of time manipulating. Oh, and killing people with crates is always fun. An oldie, but a goodie.

15. Big Rigs Over the Road Racing:

38185_full.jpg

You need a bad game to compare for the good. This is my comparison. Every game on this list holds everything over Big Rigs. Technically, Big Rigs isn't even a game! There is no opponent, no aim, no survival, nothing. But it is sure as hell fun. And bad.

14. Oblivion:

elder-scrolls-bundle.jpg

While this game didn't ever hook me on the level that Dragon Age: Origins did, I still really enjoyed playing this. What really got me was the simply beautiful environment. It caught my attention, I paid attention to the details it presented me. The gameplay was the second thing I loved about Oblivion, it was smooth and slick, the combat interesting and absorbing. Speaking of combat, that is where I believe Oblivion excelled over Morrowind. You could actually kill something.

13. Heroes of Might and Magic: III:

akyvxfegtj.jpg

Another strategy game, this time turn-based. Heroes is what I call a 'solid' game. It is not brilliant. It doesn't shine within its field of strategy games. There is better, and there is worse. However, something unique to Heroes (at least for me) is the badassery present when you have the best [bleep]ing hero on the map and you've just [bleep]ed everyone else. BAM, you say, and you've won. This game is one I've played at a few LANs, and a game which I shared countless memories playing, against my brothers. The gameplay is solid, the turn-based strategy really drawing you in, the combat field engaging. It is just solid.

12. Tekken Tag Tournament (and the series in general):

tekkentaglaw.jpg

Oh Fighting games, oh gratuitous, unrealistic violence how I love you! Along with Gran Turismo, I got Tekken Tag Tournament, and soon Saturday mornings were started with me stabbing the [cabbage] out of someone like Jin, with Yoshimitsu's sword, or maybe punching them half to death with Paul. Nevermind me, but I'm sure some of you will have some memories of Tekken, and the sheer delight it holds. Even today it remains my number 1 party game, as all my friends also enjoy beating the crap out of each other. Oh, and it also possesses the slick gameplay, cool characters and fighting moves every fighting game should have.

11. Canabalt:

500x_canabalt_review.jpg

Play Canabalt here

Yet another flash game, another amazingly addicting one. This game is short. Very short. However, it goes on longer than you can imagine. The addiction for this little gem lies differently to The Space Game. With this, you have one button to press to play, and only your eyes and ears to help you. No fancy HUD; nothing. Canabalt is a side-scrolling action game. You escape. You don't die. If you die, the game is over. Canabalt is presented in a minimalistic fashion, and let me say, this game is beautiful. The monochromatic graphics help you primarily focus on your character, with no flashing colours intruding into your game. The audio sets the atmosphere, and the quiet, pounding techno urge you to keep running. Just go play it.

10. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and 3:

roller-coaster-tycoon2-screen-big2.jpgrollercoastertycoon3.jpg

This was my first introduction to the tycoon/management genre, and it remains my best. That may be because I haven't exactly widely scoured the earth for that game genre, but whatever! Rollercoaster Tycoon presents you with a wholly unique opportunity to take charge of a theme-park and run it the way you like. It gives an appealing concept, and winning scenarios. The gameplay is smooth, and mostly what you'd expect. You won't be disappoint. Tycoon 3 furthered the series, replacing the old, isometric graphics with fairly attractive 3D ones. Doesn't possess the same charm, but the core of addictive gameplay is still there.

9. Minecraft:

minecraft.jpg

Perhaps the most recent explosion within my gaming field, and perhaps one of the biggest explosions within the indie gaming field as a whole, Minecraft is an sandbox game where your objective lies in creativity. Oh and surviving from [bleep]ing creepers who are coming to kill you. It has in its hold faux 16-bit graphics, a colourful and lively landscape, ominous and eerie background music and some of the most tense gameplay in, well, ever. You must build, and fast, before nightfall. The game (well, you) continually drives you to go further, build bigger, and survive for longer.

And I haven't even tried multiplayer.

8. Age of Empires II and III:

age-of-empires-ii.jpgaoe3wc_R.jpg

This game is a chest of memories for me, dating back to my kid-years. I suppose what really hooked me back then was the sheer awesomeness present in the ability to be able to build a microcosmistic empire within the world, and then go on to annihilate the opposing teams. When I was 11, I brought AoE III, and I unlike many, actually enjoyed this game even more. I thought (and still think) the addition of home-cities is one which really drove the series to new ground. I (at 11) thought the graphics were great, the atmosphere immersive, and the chance to [bleep] up some French with native American's fantastic.

7. Jak (series):

jakanddaxter01.jpg

This series had a huge impact, I believe, on my gaming career. It was my first real foray into action-adventure platform gaming, and probably one of my best to date. I have memories playing this, killing bosses, getting stuck finding the eco-power plant, etc. The shere fun present to 8 year-old me was amazing, hard too. So hard that I couldn't complete it until I was 11. My most recent completion of Jak and Daxter was about a year ago, and that fact just goes to show that fun can be had on it at any age.The colourful environments, the humourous character (oh Daxter), the polished platform gameplay were all appealing aspects. Jak 3 aint too bad either - Kind of like Grand Theft Auto for kids.

6. Call of Duty 4:

11678-cover_hires.jpg

This ultimately brilliant first-person shooter, which I am sure you are well-known to, was my second real foray into the world of multiplayer, online gaming. The first was Runescape, and funnily enough, that isn't included in the list. I was ultimately drawn to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, because of the very raw, gritty and realistic feel it had. And it was that fact which shook me on Modern Warfare 2 - For me Call of Duty 4 was just a much for rougher and dirtier game. Everything wasn't as bright. On Call of Duty 4, everything was so much more masterfully done, and the result was a much more polished game. For me, that is what it felt like, at least. And while I didn't enjoy MW2 as much, go give it a play anyway. At least it'll be better than Call of Duty: Black Ops.

5. Pokemon Gold and Silver:

b5d0288d56d23c3457a1335b914838ce-pokemon_gold.jpg

This represents the pinnacle in the series of Pokemon for me. There is just enough types and pokemon to be varied. There are two continents to explore and because Pokemon Master of. Well. You know what? I'm not going to explain Pokemon - You all know it. What I am going to urge you who haven't ever played this amazing adventure RPG to go and play it. You. Won't. Be. Dissapoint.

[hide] I wanna be the very best

Like no one ever was

To catch them is my real test

To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land

Searching far and wide

Each pokemon to understand

The power that's inside

Pokemon! it's you and me

I know it's my destiny,

Pokemon! Oh you're my best friend

In a world we must defend

Pokemon! A heart so true

Our courage will pull us through,

You teach me and I'll teach you,

Pokemon! gotta catch'em all[/hide]

4. Dragon Age: Origins:

Dragon-Age-Origins1.jpg

This, to date, has been my absolute best RPG experience. I love RPGs, I love the really immersive mood and atmospheres, stories, characters etc. Now, take those wonderful qualities good RPGs possess, and multiply them by 10. You have an inkling of the greatness that is Dragon Age: Origins. What I loved most of all was the way your decisions impacted the course of the plot, and the character relations. I loved the amazingly detailed action scenes - the pause button was a great asset sometimes. Then the series got better with Awakening, it added more backstory, and wrapped up the ends for The Warden. Needless to say, I cannot wait for Dragon Age II to come out.

3. Diablo 2:

4fd8beeb53d28c67351aa13b48c55f48.jpg

Like many of you, I have been addicted by this game. And rather than rehashing all of your words into mine, what I suggest you do if you haven't played this game is purchase it, borrow it from a friend, or whatever and install and play it. You'll be hooked. Sure, it may not have fancy, new-age graphics, but what it lacks in graphical punch, it makes up with an addicting formula, of hack-n-slash combat, vast quantities of loot which you simply must keep getting, and an immersive dark atmosphere. Hell, if the graphics really bother you and you STILL haven't played this - go pick up Torchlight. Similar game, better graphics, worse atmosphere. But similar nevertheless.

2. Portal:

portal-still-alive.jpgportal3.jpg

Portal is one of those odd games; you take a look at it, and you say, "Hey, that game doesn't look like it is for me." What you don't know is that this game could potentially be one of the BEST games present on the planet right now. The concept is simple - a blue portal connects with an orange one. Go through blue, come out orange. Now, apply that simple concept to a multitude of puzzle scenarios and voila! What you have is one addicting [bleep]. Add a touch of Valve class, with the ever smooth source engine, and a touch of [bleep]ING amazing story and atmosphere and you have a winner. To me, this game captured that same great atmosphere that was present within Half-Life that made it an immersive game and really made it interesting through this amazing portal concept, interactive and challenging physics-based puzzle gameplay and the short, intensive story.

[bleep]. Just go get this game. You will not ever, ever look back. I don't even like puzzle games, but take this from me - just buy this [bleep]ing game! This is so high up on my list, because it simply deserves to be there.

1. Team Fortress 2:

Team-Fortress-2.jpg

Oh. My. God. Orgasm.

This game, this little gem of a game from Valve is what makes my days worth bearing, sometimes. The whole concept, it is so beautiful, so masterfully done, so very perfect. For those who aren't acquainted with Team Fortress 2, the basic premise is that of a class based first person game, where you need strategy to overcome the other team and win. As it is class based, there is not a huge amount of room for tailorization of your weapons and sets, and that is why it is so good. Everything is already given to you, and it is up to you and your team make up to shine. To play a good round of Team Fortress 2 requires a depth of knowledge about each class, its disadvantages and advantages and how it plays versus other classes. The community is one of amazing, here in Team Fortress 2, there is a more mature audience than that of Call of Duty, and everyone respects one another.

Words cannot describe. Go pay $20 and play it.

EDIT: The afore-mentioned lack of customibility has been changed - you can now name weapons, and paint hats, and 10 new weapons have been introduced, with more to come.

There you have it folks, I'm glad you took the time out to read this little beast. Take care gamers.

lampost_sig_stark.png

A good variety of listed games. Brings back some good memories.

Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon and even Diablo 2. Can't wait for Diablo 3 though :thumbup:

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

I don't want to be a jerk but... The first picture in your Age of Empires exhibit is from AOE1. You monster.

But AOE is awesome. I remember planting hero-class units all over the enemy bases from the start, then going "WOW I totally own at this game" when I was like... 6-7.

I agree with the majority. Except for Assassin's Creed being so low on the list. Assassin's Creed II changed things up a bit, made the 'chore' of the game non-existent. I'm such a fan of the series I completed them both 100%. Worth every minute spent playing. ;) I cannot wait to get the next ones.

Love the list i agreed with most. But change the pic for AOEII Thats AOE rise of rome the first pic. Not AOEII

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

Great list. I like how you included some flash games in there too.

Oh, but AOE 3 <_< It was a good game except the rail-road.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I've played a lot of this list, including the space game haha wasted quite a bit of time on that.

Burnout 3, RCT2, AOE2 and Oblivion are some of my favourite games ever.

Iliked the railroad in AOE3, it gave you something too fight for control over and it was risky ass if you upgraded the train and then the enemy took control you've bought the enemy a bonus, makes it more strategic imo.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

HoMM III was amazing. I still feel sad how they screwed up the franchise with HoMM IV and beyond.

I actually really enjoyed HoMM II as well but I think I prefered the third one. Had some really great multiplayer matches with that game.

I don't want to be a jerk but... The first picture in your Age of Empires exhibit is from AOE1. You monster.

But AOE is awesome. I remember planting hero-class units all over the enemy bases from the start, then going "WOW I totally own at this game" when I was like... 6-7.

8. Age of Empires II and III:[/u]

age-of-empires-ii.jpg

This one? This is from AOEII bud.

Very nice list. I think I enjoyed Jak 1 and 3 the most out of all of them. But why AC1, but no AC2?I thought that was the better one honestly. First one had too many glitches (AND THAT ENDING).

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Age of Empires II...good times, good times.

TF2 :thumbup:

Jak II :thumbup:

The rest, I don't really have an opinion.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

This one? This is from AOEII bud.

He changed it.

Right you are there.

Ah. Did not know that.

His monster comment stands then.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!