Mage Slaying.

Ezkaton

Whilst I was doing this waterfiends task that I am almost 100 kills into I realised that due to my mage level they seem to be taking massive chunks out of me. There is no way it can be due to defence as I have 99 defence and was potted up with extreme defence too making me 125 aaaaaand I was using piety, therefore seeing as mage has a direct impact on mage defence it has to be my rather poor mage level of 75.

Anyways I was wondering how I can get my mage up quickly and came up with the idea of mage slaying for a bit. I was wondering what:

A. The best set ups are for general mage slaying with different options for things.

B. What tasks to mage.

At the moment I have a 5m cash pile though but can sell a few items to try and make more if need be so lets say 15/20m realistic figure with liqud assets. I have the charms for 93 summoning, however, getting 92 will take money out of that pot mentioned above.

And obviously as you can see - If need be I can use a greenmans ale and make extreme mage pots.

So help? <3:

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Aeil said: "99 spending lots of money killing things slower than melee". E.g. 99 mage through slayer.

I think you'd be better off barraging lobsters (bursting for now) because that would get you summoning as well, and it's actually faster than melee :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Aeil said: "99 spending lots of money killing things slower than melee". E.g. 99 mage through slayer.

I think you'd be better off barraging lobsters (bursting for now) because that would get you summoning as well, and it's actually faster than melee :P.

Oooh ok, that could be a plan... I do want 96 summoning soon :P

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

For some tasks, mage can be quicker than melee (greaters, dusties, abby demons, sometimes drags unless you compare to someone with cr, extremes and turmoil). It's a fun way to level mage and the charms you obtain aren't bad either, unless you really want to the best, which is rock lobs.

PS: I'm 98 summ and I've never gone rock lobs. And I've lvl'ed 85 to 96 mage exclusively with mage slaying in one chunk cause I never got bored of it.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

For some tasks, mage can be quicker than melee (greaters, dusties, abby demons, sometimes drags unless you compare to someone with cr, extremes and turmoil). It's a fun way to level mage and the charms you obtain aren't bad either, unless you really want to the best, which is rock lobs.

PS: I'm 98 summ and I've never gone rock lobs. And I've lvl'ed 85 to 96 mage exclusively with mage slaying in one chunk cause I never got bored of it.

Did you profit mage slaying? Cannon? What pots? What gear? What spells? (Not trying to hijack, but I'm considering mage slaying too and just want some input too, sorry OP D:, but I'll let you know what I find out outside of this topic :P

Sumondskull6.png

Did you profit mage slaying? Cannon? What pots? What gear? What spells? (Not trying to hijack, but I'm considering mage slaying too and just want some input too, sorry OP D:, but I'll let you know what I find out outside of this topic :P

It's no problem :D and thanks! :)

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

At your mage level bursting or even mage slaying will be more expensive then if you wait to train mage through combat until later. Though it would be good to train on rock lobsters later on, you will be paying more for lower exp at the level you are now. In terms of slaying with mage, at your level there are no tasks at all where it will outperform melee.

My advise for if you want to go to 99 is the following;

Hunter Kit until 80

String Jewelry until 85

Bursting Rock Lobsters until your desired level.

At 95+ you can start slaying with mage and reach similar levels of speed at with melee, but fire surge is expensive and I doubt you will profit.

Best of luck to you whatever method you choose.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

This should be more or less on the top of my mind, as I've finished my goal recently. Let's see:

Profit:

Very variable on the task, but mostly you'll break even. It's going to be a alternation of losing money (e.g. dusties, hellhounds, ...) and gaining it back (mainly drags, so yaks would come in very useful). Rare drops like whips help a lot. If you're the type that doesn't skip tasks as lightly as I do, your slayer points will provide a big relief concerning death runes.

Gear:

- Ahrim top/robe

- Arcane stream (seriously get this, the added damage is so handy)

- Inf boots

- Seer's ring outside Kuradal, fero in

- SOL (unless you have a chaotic staff, but if money is at low, use SOL)

- EEE (very important, mage slaying will expose you to more damage than usual, the def boost and healing it provides help tremendously lots)

- Firecape / Ardy cape

- Zammy book (dfs/dbshield for drags if you don't have super antifires) / Arcane shield (would be rather useful actually, more defence)

Spells:

Mainly standard book spells, always try and grab the highest. If you had to choose between fire wave and wind surge, I'd still go for the surge. However I can relate if you wish to degrade to a lower spell due to money cost (ever compared fire-water-earth rune prices? mix in the amount you need a spell and you'd be surprised).

A wolpertinger comes in very useful, otherwise extreme magic pots if you have a good stash of them (BUT only if it boosts over 3-4 levels beyond the spell you're using). Don't resort to magic pots, not worth it.

Basically what you're aiming at is to be able to utilize the fire spells as fast as possible (cheapest due to fire rune prices, I wouldn't be surprised if you had loads of fire runes already stacked up in your bank from slaying).

For multi-combat tasks, use barrage spells, seriously doing nechs in ct using barrage decimates the time spent by lots. This is actually the only task I can think of you can barrage. Perhaps black demons in Taverly too, but I've never been there and them being 2x2 doesn't help (had them blocked for a long while).

Food managament:

High defence (90+) would be a good start for mage slaying, here's a short description of various mage beasts at the top of my head (also assuming typtical Kuradal assignment quantities):

- Abby demons: mediocre, take sharks/rocktails with EEE, around 18.

- Dust devils: high, these bastards hit a lot, one of the worst actually, take as much as you can (leave like 2 spots open for drops initially), pick up the kebabs. There's a very useful trick I've discovered in ct dusties. You have the rock separating the two zones, and there is a certain line (running west to east) such that if you stand on it, the most north dust devil will not attack you. Instead it just wanders around, this is a free kill. If you're in need of food, use it.

- Hellhounds: mediocre, same as abby demons, they don't drop much anyways

- Greaters: low, use sharks, bout 8 (with EEE in invent of course)

- Gargoyles: high, pain in the neck, might consider just meleeing them or ranging them instead, mage hits good though

- LRC: mediocre, magic hit them pretty good actually, but you'll need to resort to safespots which can be frustrating, the task is already long enough as it is

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but you can always ask me. Happy New Year btw.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Magic is never close to melee in kill speed, assuming you have rougly equal gear, that's for sure. Unless you can barrage something.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Magic is never close to melee in kill speed, assuming you have rougly equal gear, that's for sure. Unless you can barrage something.

For single combat, Ice Barrage is well over twice the cost as Fire Surge while giving only 20 more max damage (base damage, this is amplified with bonus damage), this means that Fire Surge should be for all tasks where you attack a single target while Barrage should be used on tasks where you attack three or more targets per cast.

PM me in game anytime

I can kill abby demons and gargoyles faster than others at my level. Although slower than 138s in bandos, rapier, ddef, etc.

Here's my setup:

FSH

Ahrim top+bottom

Arcane stream

chaotic staff

infinity boots

arcane spirit shield

god cape

Dark gloves

Ferocious/ seers ring

I also use extreme mage pots, and fire surge. I can hit 570s in kuradels dungeon.

For you, you should go with the SOL and use slayer dart. It's cheap and effective.

Staurolite.png

i should note that you can totally safespot gargs in kuradal's using the stalagmites. if u have autokill unlocked you dont even need to run out to finish em.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

assuming you use kuradal:

abby demons

black demons

black dragons

blue dragons

dagannoths

desert strykewyrms

dust devils

fire giants

gargoyles

greater demons

hellhounds

ice strykewyrms

iron dragons

jungle strykewyrms

living rock creatures

mithril dragons

nechryael (barrage)

steel dragons

tzhaar

warped tortises

only nechs+ice wyrms are more effecient then meleeing.

Equipment:

helm: FSH

Cape: SW/God/fire cape

Amulet: Arcane stream

Top: ahrims/brassard

Bottom: ahrims

Boots: infinity

Shield: mage's book/zamorak book/BSS/Arcane SS

Weapon: SOL

Ring: seers/Ferocious

Special weapon: EE(E)/SGS

I can't see if you have soulsplit, if you do, wear ah on all tasks with a soul wars cape, soul spliting/deflecting as needed. If you do not, wear a brassard or BSS if you can then tank with only your special bar. If you still can't deflect. Use a wolper on all tasks except LRC and mithril dragons where you should use a unicorn.

At 75 your going to be able to Air surge when wolper speced. Use this for all tasks with the exception of nechs which you will burst until 87/88 when you will barrage them.

You will profit mage slaying (the cost is roughly equal to piety+cannoning), but only if you use your slayer points well, skipping bad mageing tasks. I approximately broke even from 95-99.

A previous poster said to use food if needed. Do not do this, if you'll need more then ~8 sharks in tank gear (brassard+BSS), use protect prayers with a soul wars cape.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Getting your magic up, there are 2 schools of training it. 1) Combat (the one most seen in the posts here) and 2) skilling as was briefly mentioned by a couple here.

1. Combat magic with exception to some dragons and Ice Strykewyrms, is not very profitable and in fact, may even incur a cost, however it is fast.

2. Skilling is not too slow but can be less costly and depending what you do, (using lunar magics to make mahogany planks, superglass make to make orbs and then charge) can even be profitable but like I said is slow.

I did a combination of both to not only reduce monotony, but also make some money along the way as well as keeping the pace up.

I hope this helps :smile:

barabas69.png

Replacing food with prayer might idd be a better choice. I remember also now how much soul split would come in handy, but I don't possess it yet.

Besides strykewyrms there are definitely more tasks that can be dealth with faster with mage than melee. Remember, it's not only the hits that count, but also how soon you can attack them after the previous.

Legion.gif

Ice Strykewyrms.

Right, right, you got me :P.

@Nifflin: Of course I meant multi-target barraging, lol. Single-target barrage is indeed a bit overpayment.

@Nifflin: Of course I meant multi-target barraging, lol. Single-target barrage is indeed a bit overpayment.

Either way it doesn't matter because 75 is too low to effectively slay with magic. At the same time, Ice Strykewyrms (spelling?) are the only monster where it could be effective and he has yet to unlock them.

Conclusion: Slaying with melee then doing other noncombat methods to raise magic is more efficient.

PM me in game anytime