Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

religion

• Please log in to reply
821 replies to this topic

jjrox32
[ Display Name History ]

jjrox32

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,665 posts
Well the Bible is God's word, and the major stuff he wants to get through gets through. And I'm pretty sure that at multiple points God either a) instructs people to help kill people, or b) helps people to kill people (i.e. Jericho).
Posted Image

Zygimantas
[ Display Name History ]

Zygimantas

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Well the Bible is God's word, and the major stuff he wants to get through gets through. And I'm pretty sure that at multiple points God either a) instructs people to help kill people, or b) helps people to kill people (i.e. Jericho).

You are thinking of god almost as a human. You will have trouble if you think of it that way.
99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008
99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009
99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010
99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

You are thinking of god almost as a human. You will have trouble if you think of it that way.

Btw - Christians believe that God was human, for a brief period of time.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Zygimantas
[ Display Name History ]

Zygimantas

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Btw - Christians believe that God was human, for a brief period of time.

Hell, I believe god is everywhere and everyone. God was Jesus, but Jesus wasn't all of god.

Magbill
[ Display Name History ]

Magbill

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:I fart V2
I'm personally atheist and i see religion as a way people deal with life, which i am ok with. What i do not like is people trying to preach or force their religion upon me. I can make up my own mind, i don't need you to tell me what my problems are. I also don't like how much conflict has come out of religion, some people need to accept that others have different beliefs.

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts
Religion is all around frustrating.

First and foremost, the most aggrivating thing about religion is how much "respect" it gets. If a man goes on the street and tried to tell people that the aliens are coming, he's crazy. If you go around and tell people that santa claus really does exist, you'd be evaluated for mental illness. If you wanted to go into a school and tell them to stop teaching kids that our Sun is a star, but instead that it is actually a giant diety -- you'd be laughed at.

Yet, if you want to believe that Earth is no more than thousands of years old, and that it only originated due to supernatural intervention, people have to "respect" that because it is "religion".

It is simply a delusion and should be treated just like every other delusion. Just because billions of people suffer from the same delusion doesn't make it any less insane or irrational.

There is no reason that religion should be viewed as a highly untouchable subject. If someone goes around and says stuff like "I believe women shouldn't have the right to vote" then we all have the right to argue with this person, question his belief, and express how crazy we think he is. But if someone says "I believe some guy named Jesus was the son of god and his death has saved the human race" well we aren't allowed to argue with him. Why? Cause it's his religion, of course! Religion is anybodys excuse to believe whatever the hell you want to without having to worry about thinking or having to defend your beliefs.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Zygimantas
[ Display Name History ]

Zygimantas

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Religion is all around frustrating.

First and foremost, the most aggrivating thing about religion is how much "respect" it gets. If a man goes on the street and tried to tell people that the aliens are coming, he's crazy. If you go around and tell people that santa claus really does exist, you'd be evaluated for mental illness. If you wanted to go into a school and tell them to stop teaching kids that our Sun is a star, but instead that it is actually a giant diety -- you'd be laughed at.

Yet, if you want to believe that Earth is no more than thousands of years old, and that it only originated due to supernatural intervention, people have to "respect" that because it is "religion".

It is simply a delusion and should be treated just like every other delusion. Just because billions of people suffer from the same delusion doesn't make it any less insane or irrational.

Yes. Religion is a delusion, and so is rationality or even delusions. Everything is a delusion :)

L2Ski
[ Display Name History ]

L2Ski

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Onyx Ski
Man, I love this!

Good arguments by you all, since I was gone most of the day I don't have time to respond to each of you individually, but I agree with bits and pieces of each of your guys' statements.

@ Da_Latios: As Mask stated, people are very focused on the leviticus passages, which may or may not be a bad thing. One reason why many people excuse these Old testament laws is because frankly they were set-up for a group of people who did not have modern day doctors, anti-bacterial soaps, running water to bathe, etc.

For example, you stated "I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense." many people know that a group of women, when living in a group, will after sometime all begin to have their "time" around the same date. Also, you forgot to mention that it says that women should leave (not direct quotation) for I believe 7 days. So in a way, when these laws were written, they were allowing the women to leave and have I guess women to women time where they could persay paint nails, have parties, etc. I'd love to continue discussing this, but i'm running out of time.

Sorry I can't respond to more. Keep up the discussion!!

EDIT: If this doesn't make any sense, I apologize. I am quite tired and may or may not be thinking very coherently.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

*snip*

Yes. Religion is a delusion, and so is rationality or even delusions. Everything is a delusion :)

And for some reason it's okay to disrespect one delusion but not another. It's somehow absurd to think that the religious man's delusion is less a delusion than Weapon's, here.

I'm not religious. Didn't think I'd have to point that out again but everyone seems to think I am. Weapon's post - both versions - exemplifies what I hate about antitheists. Namely, the belief that their beliefs are untouchable but anyone else's are worthy of mockery.

L2Ski
[ Display Name History ]

L2Ski

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 19 posts

*snip*

And for some reason it's okay to disrespect one delusion but not another. It's somehow absurd to think that the religious man's delusion is less a delusion than Weapon's, here.

I'm not religious. Didn't think I'd have to point that out again but everyone seems to think I am. Weapon's post - both versions - exemplifies what I hate about antitheists. Namely, the belief that their beliefs are untouchable but anyone else's are worthy of mockery.

To be honest, Mask, I would almost say that I am the religious version of you. Hahaha. 'cept you are much better at arguing, but with practice comes perfection (well not really, but whatever).

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
...I'm not good at arguing, I just pretend to be :razz:

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,418 posts

Man, I love this!

Good arguments by you all, since I was gone most of the day I don't have time to respond to each of you individually, but I agree with bits and pieces of each of your guys' statements.

@ Da_Latios: As Mask stated, people are very focused on the leviticus passages, which may or may not be a bad thing. One reason why many people excuse these Old testament laws is because frankly they were set-up for a group of people who did not have modern day doctors, anti-bacterial soaps, running water to bathe, etc.

For example, you stated "I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense." many people know that a group of women, when living in a group, will after sometime all begin to have their "time" around the same date. Also, you forgot to mention that it says that women should leave (not direct quotation) for I believe 7 days. So in a way, when these laws were written, they were allowing the women to leave and have I guess women to women time where they could persay paint nails, have parties, etc. I'd love to continue discussing this, but i'm running out of time.

EDIT: If this doesn't make any sense, I apologize. I am quite tired and may or may not be thinking very coherently.

Ignore the outdated morals rules and laws. They made sense (for the most part) at the time. Religion is philosophy amongst other things.

Was there actually a man who ate from the tree of knowledge which caused the human race to become imperfect? Of course not. Only fundamentalists believe this. We know a perfect universe is physically impossible when we use radios to 'listen' to the beginning of the universe.

What about technology creating weapons that allow us to destroy ourselves? What about advanced medicine being a major contributor to overpopulation and thus reduced standards of living?

Since evolution is so slow, our bodies are the same as our tribal ancestors, yet we live in a much different environment. You could say we aren't designed to live with 'knowledge.'

L2Ski
[ Display Name History ]

L2Ski

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 19 posts

Man, I love this!

Ignore the outdated morals rules and laws. They made sense (for the most part) at the time. Religion is philosophy amongst other things.

Was there actually a man who ate from the tree of knowledge which caused the human race to become imperfect? Of course not. Only fundamentalists believe this.

What about technology creating weapons that allow us to destroy ourselves? What about advanced medicine being a major contributor to overpopulation and thus reduced standards of living?

Since evolution is so slow, our bodies are the same as our tribal ancestors, yet we live in a much different environment. We aren't designed to live with 'knowledge.'

Interesting concept. So maybe.. We are supposed to rely on something to guide us? (I feel like a complete religious nut right now, but don't judge me. I'm just throwing ideas out)

Zygimantas
[ Display Name History ]

Zygimantas

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

*snip*

Yes, it is quite contradictory to say one belief is "wrong" and a delusion, and then say what you believe is "right". On the other hand life can be a big contradiction itself... oh well :P

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Yes, it is quite contradictory to say one belief is "wrong" and a delusion, and then say what you believe is "right". On the other hand life can be a big contradiction itself... oh well :P

All I ask is for the self awareness to realize that. :shades:

fakeitormakeit2
[ Display Name History ]

fakeitormakeit2

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:kaisershami
  • Clan:Not in one.

I think generalizations are one of the primary sources for disdain of religion. @ jjrox32, are you thinking of Islam that professes the Qu'ran is the word of God? Because the Catholic Church doesn't believe that and Catholics comprise about half of all the Christians in the world. Furthermore, I saw someone say along the lines that they believe God is like everything and more, etc., well that also has a place in Christian theology (which is called panentheism). In addition, there are rampant quoting of the Old Testament out of context and without the understanding the the Old Testament is "Old" for a reason, a distinguished older view of God which Jesus metaphorically set the Christians free from, which is rendered "complete" (i.e. no more). People who quote the Bible to disprove all of Christianity using a literal interpretation make the same mistake as fundamentalists, not to mention completely ignore historicity, the historio-critical method and textual criticism. In addition to those who think those with faith are superstitious because of actions such as divine intervention, it's already been discussed in various theologies such as Process Theology and Weak Theology.

I could go on and on about misconceptions, but my point is, again, people generally fail to distinguish between theology and religion, which is a large, if not the entire, causation of miscommunication, disdain, etc.. [See Dr. Caputo's Philosophy and Theology]
Posted Image

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

*snip*

This is a total misconception of what it means to even be an atheist. Atheists don't take "beliefs". By "belief" I mean that a belief is something that is basically irrational and held onto for no reason.

For example, it is not my BELIEF that the earth orbits the sun. It is a fact.

Atheists don't believe in god because we don't "believe" in anything. We observe things the way they are and act according to what evidence suggests.

A lot of people erroneously think that "atheism" means that, no matter what, we REJECT the idea of a god. This simply is not true. If there were a god that communicated with us, took place in our daily lives, showed proof of his existence, et cetera...people who are currently athiests would not "blindly" reject his existence. If there happened to be scientific proof of a magical being who creates things and answers prayers, people who are "atheists" would not just plug their ears and be like "lah lah lah NO THERE IS NO GOD!!!"

However, this is what creationists do. They have their BELIEF and they stick to it no matter what.

It truly aggrivates me when I get condemned for being "closed minded" as an atheist. If anything, atheism has allowed me to be way more open minded than any sort of religious belief would. If I took up a religion, I would have to live my whole life thinking that there can only be one true story for how and why we exist, and this story is the one of the scriptures. With atheism, I am free to observe new evidence, reshape my thoughts about the universe, and continue to analyze my existence as new information arrives. The life of an atheist is not one of closed-mindedness; it is a life of wonder, curiousity, and discovery.

I use the word "delusion" because it is the only word that I know to describe a belief that is firmly held despite evidence to the contrary. Do you know of any other words I could use?

For example: thinking that if you step on a crack, you break your mother's back. That is a delusion, from my understanding of the word.

I could call it "superstition" if you perfer. I still suspect that I would recieve a negative reaction for using that word to describe religious beliefs though.

Which brings me back to my original point. If someone claims that they are living their lives in fear because they accidentally broke a mirror, you would call them superstitious or even delusional. Yet if you hold religious beliefs (which have just as little evidence as the mirror-breaking thing) you aren't crazy or delusional; you're just religious. I seriously don't understand.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
^^ Let's call it faith instead of belief when talking in a religious sense, as they have different meanings.

Atheists deny the existence of a deity. If one were to show itself, anyone would believe in it. That's not what faith is. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
People of all types are pretentious and arrogant. I wouldn't say atheists are special.

On the internet you come across a lot of intellectually elitist atheists, but I bet overall it's roughly the same.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

People of all types are pretentious and arrogant. I wouldn't say atheists are special.

On the internet you come across a lot of intellectually elitist atheists, but I bet overall it's roughly the same.

Truer words haven't been spoken. That's the one prejudice I'm trying to break. As you can probably tell, not going so well.

I think I'm done here. Getting too worked up, going to leave before I break something else :razz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users