Europa Universalis 3

Nero

What day works for you (check all that apply)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested?

2. 2. What day works best for you? (check all that apply)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting. It won't allow me to install a Steam version of HTTT ontop of my retail version of EU3 complete. To the troubleshooting!

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Notice: This Expansion Pack requires the Steam version of Europa Universalis III Complete in order to play.

I will try to shake them down for a steam version. :)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Notice: This Expansion Pack requires the Steam version of Europa Universalis III Complete in order to play.

Could probably just change the checksum to the steam versions. Or could email steam support to explain the situation. Very silly that it requires the steam version of EU3 complete.

I sent a message to Steam Support, so hopefully they will be kind enough to give me a four dollar game that I already have. :P

If only it was Jorb and Loftar running the show.

For reference:

The Big Countries:

England (good colonization opportunities, somewhat isolated)

France (big expansion opportunities, large manpower & production rich provinces)

Castille (can form Spain, a quick jump over to North Africa, good colonizer)

Austria (HRE, can become Emperor easily, good expansion opportunities)

Muscowy (Good opportunities for expansion, but some hard fighting at the beginning against the Golden Horde)

Poland (start with Lithuania in a personal union with them, if you can inherit Lithuania it can become a real powerhouse)

Sweden (somewhat isolated, can form Scandinavia)

Ottomans (good missons for Balkan expansion, good strategic positon [bosporus])

Decent countries:

Denmark (good trading, start leading a personal union with Sweden and Norway, good luck holding onto it though..)

Brandenburg (HRE, can become Emperor, later can form Prussia)

Teutonic Order (rather precarious, but if played right can become a powerhouse)

Hungary (Balkan expansion, will have to deal with Austria, Poland-Lithuania, and Ottomans though)

Japan (decent colonization prospects, can strike at Ming with impunity as long as they maintain a good navy)

Timurids (huge, massive army, but incredibly unstable) - tribal government eek

Golden Horde (massive army, but has to deal with Muscowy & other christian nations in Eastern Europe) - tribal government eek

Portugal (good colonization opportunities, but Castille/Spain will kick their ass if they get in a war with each other)

Miland/Naples: Can form Italy, Miland is in the HRE, Naples is sort of isolated (end of the boot)

Byzantine Empire (lots of cores that can be reconquered, can become a powerhouse easily, but only after some hard fighting)

Novgorod (not quite as good as Muscowy, but can still form Russia and doesnt have to deal as much with the golden horde)

Holland (can form the Netherlands, good sliders for massive trading empire/colonization...france will steamroll you though if you get in a war)

Those are basically the nations people should pick if they want to not get stomped on instantly.

Tried my first game as Sweden in 1520. Managed to accidentally break my alliance with Denmark, but made up for it by attacking them and locking myself in a war with Norway and Denmark.

History hath repeated itself, kinda.

Hundreds of hours typically

I imagine there's some kind of save and rehost function

Probably around 80 hours or so. We'd do it on a specific date for a set period of time every week, then whoever is hosting saves the game at the end of the session and uploads it somewhere for everyone to download and stick in their save folder.

Yea we'll figure something out that works for everyone. Won't start until like February 5th or around there, since that's when my new computer is arriving.

Gives people a chance that haven't played the game before to familiarize themselves with how things work and those who have time to shake off the rust.

Alright, 8 people interested, so I figure we should probabaly pick our nations now, gives a chance for people to fire up the game and play around with their nation of choice and get a feel for it.

I definitely won't be picking one of the big nations, since I probably have the most experience with EU3 and it would be a bit unfair. Everything is fair game for everyone else I suppose ('cept maybe Dungeonal, but I can't really impose arbitrary restrictions on him)

Here are the nations again:

England (good colonization opportunities, somewhat isolated)

France (big expansion opportunities, large manpower & production rich provinces)

Castille (can form Spain, a quick jump over to North Africa, good colonizer)

Austria (HRE, can become Emperor easily, good expansion opportunities)

Muscowy (Good opportunities for expansion, but some hard fighting at the beginning against the Golden Horde)

Poland (start with Lithuania in a personal union with them, if you can inherit Lithuania it can become a real powerhouse)

Sweden (somewhat isolated, can form Scandinavia)

Ottomans (good missons for Balkan expansion, good strategic positon [bosporus])

Decent countries:

Denmark (good trading, start leading a personal union with Sweden and Norway, good luck holding onto it though..)

Brandenburg (HRE, can become Emperor, later can form Prussia)

Teutonic Order (rather precarious, but if played right can become a powerhouse)

Hungary (Balkan expansion, will have to deal with Austria, Poland-Lithuania, and Ottomans though)

Japan (decent colonization prospects, can strike at Ming with impunity as long as they maintain a good navy)

Timurids (huge, massive army, but incredibly unstable) - tribal government eek

Golden Horde (massive army, but has to deal with Muscowy & other christian nations in Eastern Europe) - tribal government eek

Portugal (good colonization opportunities, but Castille/Spain will kick their ass if they get in a war with each other)

Miland/Naples: Can form Italy, Miland is in the HRE, Naples is sort of isolated (end of the boot)

Byzantine Empire (lots of cores that can be reconquered, can become a powerhouse easily, but only after some hard fighting)

Novgorod (not quite as good as Muscowy, but can still form Russia and doesnt have to deal as much with the golden horde)

Holland (can form the Netherlands, good sliders for massive trading empire/colonization...france will steamroll you though if you get in a war)

-----

I'm actually getting quite excited about the prospect of this game, considering the different alliances and political backroom deals that will go on. Should be fun!

Who are you and what have you done with Dusty! :rolleyes:

I will take Brandenburg. Three reasons:

1) Prussia, aka Germany, aka reason to expand.

2) I like politicing more than fighting.

3) No strong reason to colonise, which seems to be my undoing in most games...

Just fighting the 1900-1909 2nd Confederate War to Liberate West Virginia, as Prussia/Germany...Loaded my ships, sent them off, few months later they arrive, 1 division....So I head back, get intercepted by the Union Navy, which is more developed than mine, so flee....They begin chasing me, so I stand and fight, knowing I will lose, building a new fleet with my bazzilion pounds(Fell asleep for two years :rolleyes: ).

Since that will take a year to do I try to end the darned Ottomen War to annex Yeman, which stalled because the Ottomen Empire is full of rebels. So I grab my reserve fleet, stationed at Suez and sail to the final island controlled by Yeman...No troops onboard. Feeling fairly annoyed I butcher my 'German Africa Defence Force' (Eithopia, Kenya, Uganda and surroundings) stick some troops on the ship, declare war on Oman via misclick, declare war on Yeman, infamy rising, invade the island...nothing happens. A month later I am advancing my forces through Ottomen occupied Yeman to hit Oman, trying to correct for the horrible generals I had(-3 Attack, +20 Morale +2 Reliablity, the other had -2 Attack and -2 Defence), when I get a message that Oman is attacking from the African Coast.

Quickly redirecting my forces I purge their force and occupy their 1 province in Africa. France takes this moment to launch yet another war on Spain, so I set a timer, 45 minutes, and prepare my army to invade France. Annoyed about Yeman I take the infamous option to demand a concession, they then immediately are annexed by the Ottoman Empire, which revolts, leaving two armies trapped in Ottoman controlled Yemen, which is fortunately coastal, so my reserve fleet picks them up 3 at a time and drops them in Oman to end the war, stealing their province in Africa and ending that annoyance.

Portugual, who got owned by Britian sometime ago, is fighting the 6th War of Annexation(w/e) against the Zulus, so I send an army group to help my allies...but no, turns out I can't defend my allies unless they ask me too, so my army wanders back up to Kenya.

My timer goes off and I check my infamy, 12.something...Since I already have Alsace-Lorraine any option will increase it...and I am still at war with the USA(Filthy Slave Owners), so it would be 30-36 years till I could next attack France for good reason...So France continues to lay into Spain, taking another portion of Northern Spain to add to Cantalonia.

I pootle about, waiting for my fleet to be built when I hear the 'army ready' sound and am confused since I haven't ordered any units since before the start of the war...then realisation dawns and I admire my shiny new tank division...first in the world. I order two dozen more and spend a while outfitting all my armies with them, untill my ships are ready.

All the while my 1 Unit in the back of beyond has been occupying Washington, admist two (out of 3) of the Unions 63,000 strong armies. The Confederates were far more intrested in gurillia tactics, with a dozen 9,000 strong armies conquering provinces left right and center. Somehow, with no input from me, it managed to occupy it, then, feeling rather chuffed with itself, had got mown down by one of the massive armies before I could retreat it...now its about revenge.

To the hummed tune of Flight of the Valkyries my fleet departs from harbour, getting half way across the Atlantic before turning around and collecting the army...

To the hummed tune of Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity, my fleet again departs from the harbour...going on and on as it slowly crosses to America, depositing its precious cargo of 15,000 tanks and 15,000 guards. Then engages a Union Crusier, weighlaying it for what seems like hours, before picking up the next lot. Meanwhile my armies drive around the CSA, putting down the rebel hoard and testing the tank's power.

While checking through the ever extending list of totally useless generals I come across a +5 Attack, and instantly place him in command of sitting next to Cincinati...The only plains province in a sea of hills and forests.

Finally the CSA draw the Union army into Cincinati, and I patiently wait for the CSA to be thrashed as per normal...then I attack, plowing an awesome 13 battle score against 3, making up for my just under 2 to 1 disadvantage.

I check on my fleet, finding it, again, engaged in a battle with a single Cruiser, wasting so much time.

Back in Cincinati my forces are grinding up the half Guard half peasent army of the Union when disaster strikes...the other 60 strong army plows into me. Then a miracle...the CSA, rather than doing their normal pathetic 'quick, rush the provinces' rushes to my assistance, giving me an army of 67 thousand to combat the 111 thousand...With just by +5 Attack General standing between me and defeat.

My fleet finally gets free, I land my army and plow into the other 63 thousand strong army which has been doodling on the Canadian border with three 20 strong CSA armies. Though two miracles was too much to hope for as the CSA disappear to deal with get another rebel uprising, and karma attacks when my second armies general, +2 Attack, dies...leaving me at -2 Attack, trying to desperately retreat.

While I wait for the other 4 days to pass(so I can retreat), I send my fleet home again, having repaired their attritional damage, ready to pick up another of my armies.

The second army finally retreated and I stripped Suez of its +3 Defence general, sticking him in the second army. The American army, not expecting him to be whisked around the world in five days, crashes into a -5 dug in modifer, as well as -1 hills...Combined with my +3 defence I have a +9 advantage, which is instantly useful as I get a 0 and they get a 9.

My first army finally detaches from the massive battle...the CSA get suprised by the concept of not losing and flee, leaving me to chase one of the two armies with a heavily depleted tank core...though of course my +5 general can do no wrong, sowing the seeds of death...But being a realistic kinda game, the seeds take another 16 months of chasing the Union army around America to actually bear the toxic fruits.

Meanwhile my third army sets about chasing down the other army, the one not engaged by either of my current armies, with a +2 Attack plucked from my army in Metz...replaced with a morale and speed general...anyway, the CSA provide an unknowing roadblock, allowing me to finish off the army in just four months of cat and mouse.

My second army, still holding out on the hills of somewhere in north west central North America, is losing the war of attrition, plagued by constant +9 for them, 0 for me. The battle drags on, with their score now muted to a 5 (dig in bonus ended) while mine is usually 3...Is finally joined by the CSA, though about 3 minutes later my general handily dies, letting me get a +4 Defence general from one of the CSA forces...though annoying as well.

The Union Navy finally gets it's act together and blockades my fleet in a CSA port, so the war continues as cat and mouse, while the CSA continue taking provinces, both taskes finishing within a month of each other...But the CSA's constant retreats mean the warscore is only 68...So I need to get to Panama and conquer that to offset the Battle Modifer and force the USA to accept the CSA's extensive list of territorial demands(Maryland, Missouri, Oklahoma and West Virginia) as well as my demand for Mexico to take control of American Texas(Thus denying America Oil supplies...since I was still ridiculously high on infamy and couldn't take it for myself, more's the pity.)

But even with 100% Warscore and 100% Union war exaustion, they wouldn't take the whole deal, forcing me to remove Missouri from the demands...and now, finally, there is peace again...Except for Portugual's war with Morroco and the unsettling build up of troops between Austria/Hungry and Russia...both my allies...Having taken Bohemia off Austria a while ago and fought to regain Ostprussia(East Prussia) from Russia after they backstabbed me while I was fighting France...back when France wasn't riddled with rebels, and was allied to all of Western Contiental Europe...Before Netherlands became a great power, Belgium was split into Waldonia, Flanders and Belgium...the first two in my SOI, Switzerland taken into my SOI after a ridiculously long war with France...and Luxembourg was freed and now suffers a rebellion every other year.

Denmark reduced to Copenhagen and Greenland...Greenland always rebelling after Iceland declared independance, and in my SOI.

And thats pretty much it for Europe...Britian is on 16,000 odd score, the next best is Russia 5,000ish, followed by the German Empire, lagging by about 120 points.

Ultimately happy with Europe, since France is degenerating, Austria seems like it is finally recovering from the multiple wars of Hegmony I had to fight to get Germany formed, so might be interesting and Russia/Sweden don't have any decent industry targets in reach. Though stability in the Great Powers is favourable...Since the CSA keeps edging from secondary to Great Power, which makes it more difficult to handle. :-|

So, yeah. That is my standard of gameplay, compare as you wish.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I guess if I can play (cause yesterday, even though loading the game was quite terrible, when I actually got to the game, the game ran fine) I'll take Japan

Just so I can stay away from the fighting.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Quickly, Archi is asleep!

STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE!

Ok after playing the tutorials that took a while, I began the first trial.

Is it me or is that broken? The second objective 'move your troops in X to Y' was unachieveable. You completed the objective, but it wouldn't register you doing it. I did it over and over, and it just wouldn't register me doing it. I double checked everything :S.

Also I have another problem, none of the flags appear, they're just black boxes. Anyone know how to fix that?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Ok after playing the tutorials that took a while, I began the first trial.

Is it me or is that broken? The second objective 'move your troops in X to Y' was unachieveable. You completed the objective, but it wouldn't register you doing it. I did it over and over, and it just wouldn't register me doing it. I double checked everything :S.

Also I have another problem, none of the flags appear, they're just black boxes. Anyone know how to fix that?

Tuturial is broken, check youtube for a better one.

Black flags, idk. Try deleting the files in the cache folder and restarting the game.

Kayyy

Also that colonisation one took me forever, was it meant to? I had to wait 50 years for Bermuda to become a core province before I could even begin thinking about Cuba.

It's a REALLY big shaft.